A new low blow from Google? This is going to affect a lot of people...

20 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I was just visiting the old Google Keyword Tool to see what's the general traffic volume for a new niche site I'm thinking of building.. and I'm greeted by this message:

In the coming months, the external Keyword Tool will no longer be available. To get keyword ideas, sign in to your AdWords account and try Keyword Planner.

So, I go to this Keyword Planner thing and it's more convoluted than the original one and... surprise .. surprise ... it doesn't give you the option to see exact match traffic levels anymore.

It makes sense for Google to screw some advertisers out of more money by making them bid on broad match by default... right?

And, you can imagine the impact on SEOers that want to know exactly how many times a keyword is searched monthly.

Most keyword tools will start to malfunction soon (maybe even stop working) because most of them rely exclusively on GKT , so better to get busy now and save keyword ideas for your future sites.

-Gabriel
#affect #blow #gkt #google #google keyword tool #keyword tool gone #lot #low #people
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    "Keywords" are going the way of the dodo bird. If you've used Google Adwords lately you'd know they've moved into a whole lot of new areas such as interest targeting and demographics.

    Keyword relevancy is no longer the best way to try and drive traffic IMHO.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Chicas
    Hmm, can you tell me which way the doodo bird went? lol

    Because as far as I"m concerned this is one of the most useful tools for PPC overall. Can you elaborate on your post? Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by Christian C View Post

      Hmm, can you tell me which way the doodo bird went? lol

      Because as far as I"m concerned this is one of the most useful tools for PPC overall. Can you elaborate on your post? Thanks.
      I would be happy to.

      Right now keywords are still useful for researching new topics and for PPC. But it's clear Google has been moving in another direction for quite some time.

      They collect extensive amounts of data from their many web properties and know a lot about 'search intent' that they didn't use to know. They are pushing more localized and personalized searches for every query.

      This move by them seems like one more way to push people towards other avenues than just 'keyword relevancy.' Since this has been the cornerstone of the IM industry the whole time, the move is going to be painful for many, as the OP points out.

      Clearly the writing is on the wall. The old way of doing business is changing rapidly.
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TZ
      Originally Posted by Christian C View Post


      Because as far as I"m concerned this is one of the most useful tools for PPC overall.
      Entertaining yes - useful....."in a general sort of way".

      Many times we have used their keyword tool to see if there was some good traffic for specific keywords, launched a site, got it ranked for those keywords, to find out that their numbers are baloney.

      I really think their keyword tool shows inflated results to get their rubes (Adwords advertisers) all wet and bid higher.

      Overall though, you need to use some common sense when trying to evaluate the gold to be mined in specific keyword phrases.

      In MY opinion. Don't want to upset the willy-nilly limp wrists by stating it as fact.
      Signature

      $php_coding = "consistent cash";

      echo ("Give me" . " " . $php_coding . "!");

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by gabibeowulf View Post

    I was just visiting the old Google Keyword Tool to see what's the general traffic volume for a new niche site I'm thinking of building.. and I'm greeted by this message:

    In the coming months, the external Keyword Tool will no longer be available. To get keyword ideas, sign in to your AdWords account and try Keyword Planner.

    So, I go to this Keyword Planner thing and it's more convoluted than the original one and... surprise .. surprise ... it doesn't give you the option to see exact match traffic levels anymore.

    It makes sense for Google to screw some advertisers out of more money by making them bid on broad match by default... right?

    And, you can imagine the impact on SEOers that want to know exactly how many times a keyword is searched monthly.

    Most keyword tools will start to malfunction soon (maybe even stop working) because most of them rely exclusively on GKT , so better to get busy now and save keyword ideas for your future sites.

    -Gabriel

    Actually, under the keyword ideas section it does give you an option for exact match. So you can calm down.

    No way Google is going to take that away from advertisers.
    Signature
    SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
    Get a FREE Quote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221603].message }}
    • Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Actually, under the keyword ideas section it does give you an option for exact match. So you can calm down.

      No way Google is going to take that away from advertisers.
      You are right and you have indeed made us clam. It caused a bit of worry after reading this thread.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8222877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabibeowulf
    You're right Mike, sorry. It's just not as "in your face" as it used to be and I missed it.

    For anyone who'll be as confused as I was:



    -Gabriel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    Another sensationalist post. No doubt it's going to cause panic.

    Google makes most of it's revenue from Adwords so I very much doubt it's going to bite the hand that feeds it.
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221727].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      Another sensationalist post. No doubt it's going to cause panic.

      Google makes most of it's revenue from Adwords so I very much doubt it's going to bite the hand that feeds it.
      You don't like sensationalism?

      "I Make £200/$307 In 30 Mins. I Could Make More But I'm Lazy. Find Out Soon The Secret Of My Success. It Took Me 2 Years But I Made It!"
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221734].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author smodha
        Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

        You don't like sensationalism?

        "I Make £200/$307 In 30 Mins. I Could Make More But I'm Lazy. Find Out Soon The Secret Of My Success. It Took Me 2 Years But I Made It!"
        That's not sensationalism. It's a fact.

        I'm not planning on launching any WSOs. I'm giving the information away for free once I complete the eBook. I don't claim to own the knowledge. I just pieced together lots of strategies during my 2 year learning phase.
        Signature
        I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221760].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
          Originally Posted by smodha View Post

          That's not sensationalism. It's a fact.

          I'm not planning on launching any WSOs. I'm giving the information away for free once I complete the eBook. I don't claim to own the knowledge. I just pieced together lots of strategies during my 2 year learning phase.
          Actually, it's an assertion. It's also an extremely sensationalist tagline. You and the guy who started the thread are both guilty
          Signature
          Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221788].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author smodha
            Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

            Actually, it's an assertion. It's also an extremely sensationalist tagline. You and the guy who started the thread are both guilty
            OK Barry. Since I like you, I'll change it. What would you like me to say in my signature? I can remove it completely if you like?
            Signature
            I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221800].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
              Originally Posted by smodha View Post

              OK Barry. Since I like you, I'll change it. What would you like me to say in my signature? I can remove it completely if you like?
              No need. it's fine with me. Sensationalism sells
              Signature
              Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221930].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author smodha
                Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

                No need. it's fine with me. Sensationalism sells
                We are all just glorified sales people...
                Signature
                I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221950].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
                  Originally Posted by smodha View Post

                  We are all just glorified sales people...
                  Without the glory for most of us
                  Signature
                  Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221957].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author smodha
                    Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

                    Without the glory for most of us
                    There you go Barry. I've changed my sig for you.

                    I just want to be loved...
                    Signature
                    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221968].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author TZ
                      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

                      There you go Barry. I've changed my sig for you.

                      I just want to be loved...
                      Amendment suggestion;

                      "I make £200/$307 in just 30 minutes every once and awhile, but most of the time I average about $5 an hour. I want to make more so I'm working on an Ebook I can hawk on the Warrior Forum to some newbie rubes. Find out soon. It took me two years but I made it. I won't tell you what I made, but the secret will soon be revealed. I just wanted to be loved."

                      And just between you and me.....$5 a hour average EVERY HOUR 24/7/365 isn't bad news.
                      Signature

                      $php_coding = "consistent cash";

                      echo ("Give me" . " " . $php_coding . "!");

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8222169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hansons
    Well, there is no harm if you create account on Adwords, as it gives you very effective keyword tool.
    Signature

    Is your website Hacked? Try -> www.sitebeak.com
    Is Google Analytics installed Properly? Test -> www.GAtective.com
    Impersonal Google search? Check -> www.impersonal.me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8221976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humbledmarket
    Banned
    Originally Posted by gabibeowulf View Post

    I was just visiting the old Google Keyword Tool to see what's the general traffic volume for a new niche site I'm thinking of building.. and I'm greeted by this message:

    In the coming months, the external Keyword Tool will no longer be available. To get keyword ideas, sign in to your AdWords account and try Keyword Planner.

    So, I go to this Keyword Planner thing and it's more convoluted than the original one and... surprise .. surprise ... it doesn't give you the option to see exact match traffic levels anymore.

    It makes sense for Google to screw some advertisers out of more money by making them bid on broad match by default... right?

    And, you can imagine the impact on SEOers that want to know exactly how many times a keyword is searched monthly.

    Most keyword tools will start to malfunction soon (maybe even stop working) because most of them rely exclusively on GKT , so better to get busy now and save keyword ideas for your future sites.

    -Gabriel
    Try SPYfu.com

    Also has average CPC (only for US traffic) that Google removed a while ago from their keyword tool searches.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8222456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smonline
    Originally Posted by gabibeowulf View Post

    I was just visiting the old Google Keyword Tool to see what's the general traffic volume for a new niche site I'm thinking of building.. and I'm greeted by this message:

    In the coming months, the external Keyword Tool will no longer be available. To get keyword ideas, sign in to your AdWords account and try Keyword Planner.

    So, I go to this Keyword Planner thing and it's more convoluted than the original one and... surprise .. surprise ... it doesn't give you the option to see exact match traffic levels anymore.

    It makes sense for Google to screw some advertisers out of more money by making them bid on broad match by default... right?

    And, you can imagine the impact on SEOers that want to know exactly how many times a keyword is searched monthly.

    Most keyword tools will start to malfunction soon (maybe even stop working) because most of them rely exclusively on GKT , so better to get busy now and save keyword ideas for your future sites.

    -Gabriel
    Right now, there is a keyword tool available within adwords account, along with keyword planner. you can get 800 results from it, and it shows broad, exact and phrase match.

    Now, by "In the coming months, the external Keyword Tool will no longer be available", what do they mean? Do they mean that this keyword tool, within the adwords account, would be unavailable also??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8223491].message }}

Trending Topics