Tumblr and other platforms

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey,

Anybody using Tumblr or other platforms to raise the presence and maybe even SEO rank of their website?

I'm not sure if Google approves creating a popular blog on Tumblr and then occasionally link to your website. Do they by any chance not like it?
#platforms #tumblr
  • Profile picture of the author Hogre
    Do they like it? Nope.
    Can they do anything about it? Nope...as long as you do it the sensibly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8277938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    I use Tumblr for what it was intended for and don't worry about search much. There are a lot of people there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLondon
      Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

      I use Tumblr for what it was intended for and don't worry about search much. There are a lot of people there.
      You mean just blog, and then point links to your website?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278081].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author summerlee
      Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

      I use Tumblr for what it was intended for and don't worry about search much. There are a lot of people there.
      I have account with Tumblr, but I couldn't get lots of people from there. I still prefer if it could rise my PR so I could get more traffic from google.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278098].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278113].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Tumblr changed all their links to 'nofollow' a while back so they don't pass PR anymore. The only possible strategy would be to use a Tumblr blog and place content there and see if it ranks.
          No,
          They only changed the Reblog and Like OBL to no-follow. Editorial links are still do-follow.
          They did this change, as the reblog and like feature was being abused, with that old "301 your tumblr with loads of link juice from your likes back to your money page" trick.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278636].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RandySwanston
            Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post

            No,
            They only changed the Reblog and Like OBL to no-follow. Editorial links are still do-follow.
            They did this change, as the reblog and like feature was being abused, with that old "301 your tumblr with loads of link juice from your likes back to your money page" trick.

            True, tumblr links are still do-follow. I have a blog created on Tumblr and I share some content regularly. And that blog is ranking on Google for few keywords.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8280816].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Hogre
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Tumblr changed all their links to 'nofollow' a while back so they don't pass PR anymore. The only possible strategy would be to use a Tumblr blog and place content there and see if it ranks.
          No the outbound links are not "nofollow".They still pass PR.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278638].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author smodha
      Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

      I use Tumblr for what it was intended for and don't worry about search much. There are a lot of people there.
      This...

      Tumblr has a massive following (I mean MASSIVE). You don't need SE traffic. Just market to Tumblr's existing community.
      Signature
      I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8281698].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Aussie_Al
        Originally Posted by smodha View Post

        This...

        Tumblr has a massive following (I mean MASSIVE). You don't need SE traffic. Just market to Tumblr's existing community.
        yes well said - Tumblr is growing very very fast

        I have my tumblr linked to my niche facebook pages and twitter pages

        I also have followers related to each niche - its a great way to get traffic
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8282012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amcg
    Originally Posted by TLondon View Post

    Hey,

    Anybody using Tumblr or other platforms to raise the presence and maybe even SEO rank of their website?

    I'm not sure if Google approves creating a popular blog on Tumblr and then occasionally link to your website. Do they by any chance not like it?
    I use Tumblr to post content related to my website but I wouldn't try and use it for purposes that artificially boost traffic in this way. You can build traffic using these sites the right way - posting quality content - and still achieve success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8278618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLondon
    Right.

    So I'm writing a blog, with quality content and good advice on Tumblr. I'm currently not linking to my main sit yet; I want it to get more attention from people.

    Do any of you guys do this? Write a blog, and when it has some following, start using it to link occasionally to your money making websites?

    I'm also wondering which platform do you use, if not Tumblr? And do you by any chance use multiple? I currently work on my website, Tumblr and HubPages, writing on a daily basis; that's quite a load, but I guess I could take over another blog platform if you believe it's beneficial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8280104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MOAZBUTT
    Originally Posted by TLondon View Post

    Hey,

    Anybody using Tumblr or other platforms to raise the presence and maybe even SEO rank of their website?

    I'm not sure if Google approves creating a popular blog on Tumblr and then occasionally link to your website. Do they by any chance not like it?
    Well Tumblr is a Social Book Marking website. It Surely helps if you use it on daily basis .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8280565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author georgescifo
    Tumblr seems to be a fastly growing sites and also helps in getting traffic and improving the search visibility to some extend.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8280773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLondon
    Alright, I'm staying with Tumblr then.

    I was thinking of starting another blog on a different platform and write on a slightly different, but related, subject.

    Which would you say would be the next best thing? Wordpress, Blogger, anything else?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8280969].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RandySwanston
      Originally Posted by TLondon View Post

      Alright, I'm staying with Tumblr then.

      I was thinking of starting another blog on a different platform and write on a slightly different, but related, subject.

      Which would you say would be the next best thing? Wordpress, Blogger, anything else?
      If you ask me giving the above 3 options, I would definitely go with Blogger, it is better compared to wordpress and tumblr. Ranking a blogger blog in Google is a bit easier compared to WP and TMB. (ofcourse I like WP and TMB, but first preference would be blogger)
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8281597].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLondon
        Originally Posted by RandySwanston View Post

        If you ask me giving the above 3 options, I would definitely go with Blogger, it is better compared to wordpress and tumblr. Ranking a blogger blog in Google is a bit easier compared to WP and TMB. (ofcourse I like WP and TMB, but first preference would be blogger)
        Okay, thanks. I might give blogger a try then, even though I myself was leaning more towards Wordpress as their interface is much more attractive.

        Would Google mind that I'm writing a blog on the related subject and then occasionally link to my main site from their Blogger? Is there a risk to get penalized?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8282007].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RandySwanston
          Originally Posted by TLondon View Post

          Okay, thanks. I might give blogger a try then, even though I myself was leaning more towards Wordpress as their interface is much more attractive.

          Would Google mind that I'm writing a blog on the related subject and then occasionally link to my main site from their Blogger? Is there a risk to get penalized?
          Definitely not unless you diversify your OBLs, you should not link out only to your money site, you also have to give a link to some of the authority sites in your niche, which would look natural to search engines and also to readers.

          For ex: If you post a 500 word content on your blogger blog, make sure you have atleast 1 or 2 links pointing to any of the authority sites in your niche and along with that you can post your website link.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8284747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lokahi
    If you are using Tumblr as a blogging platform that is adjunct to your main site and adding really valuable content such as text articles, images and videos and then linking back to related material on your site, why would Google have a problem with that?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8281646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Susan Richards
    I have a blog that is separated from my website before. Its a WordPress blog and its main goal is to support my business website. At present I am thinking of probably merging my blog and my business website...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8282466].message }}

Trending Topics