Should I be wary of hiring an SEO link builder who uses their own private blog/link network?

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi, guys,


I was hoping someone could clear up a bit of confusion I am having.

I have a client who is a respectable ecommerce site that has completely 100 percent unique content on all pages....holds their own stock, so isnt a drop shipper, and has over 200 pages on their site, all unique...

However the client has done no SEO in the past, and has relied on other marketing methods..

I have been scanning this forum for reputable and trustworthy SEO professionals, and have noticed there are a few people on here offering a premium service and not just $5 link blast campaigns...

I also noticed that a few of the link builders that have got good reviews from previous business, seem to be utilising their own private blog/link networks.

MY QUESTION IS THIS...

How safe are these link networks? ( assuming they have been built correctly to minimise footprints)...

How sustainable are the results?

My point is this, Google has been shutting down private blog and link networks quite rapidly as of late...and logic dictates they are going to get smarter and more sophisticated in detecting private blog/link networks...so therefore if I go with one of these SEO providers offering a package that utilises their own private blog/link properties..is it not just a matter of time before that Google finally catches up with them and their blog network is exposed...which means that if I do carry out a link building campaign with these providers now...there is no real assurance for me, that in 6 months google wont find their network, and therefore having the links to my site devalued.

The only other alternative I see to the private blog/link network strategy, is the tiered link building method being offered...as long as the links for these tiers (web 2.0 links, ect) are built manually and to a high quality, would you say these links are more sustainable than the private blog network links as Google knows about the web 2.0s all along...

I suppose what I am getting at is, which one of the two methods above, is less risky, and will produce more sustainable results in the long term...

Look forward to your replies on this,

Kind regards,
#blog or link #builder #hiring #link #network #private #seo #wary
  • Profile picture of the author techmug
    I recommend you to check his blog network quality, sometimes peoples are using expired domains to make blog network,

    Web 2.0 links are good until you spam on them.

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by Sonny Am View Post

    My point is this, Google has been shutting down private blog and link networks quite rapidly as of late
    That's where you are wrong.

    Google has been shutting down public blog networks.

    I don't know of a single private network that they took down though. I'm sure they have found a few, but a private network is much different than a public blog network.

    If links are being sold to the masses, it's a much bigger target. If an SEO firm is running their own truly private network of sites, it will probably never show up on Google's radar.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sonny Am
    Thanks for that reply Mike...I think this is partly my paranoia..."what if Google does this..." What if Google does that...".. and I don't think I am not alone with these feels at all, the pace at which google chops and changes things, creates a certain feeling of uncertianty among people that are looking for reputable seo professionals to carry out work that would be sustainable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by Sonny Am View Post

      Thanks for that reply Mike...I think this is partly my paranoia..."what if Google does this..." What if Google does that...".. and I don't think I am not alone with these feels at all, the pace at which google chops and changes things, creates a certain feeling of uncertianty among people that are looking for reputable seo professionals to carry out work that would be sustainable.
      SEO work is not 'sustainable.'

      In fact, buying links from a PBN is hardly sustainable either. They can always screw up the job and get you penalized, or they can pull the links when you stop paying.

      Quit looking for guarantees and start accepting the huge amounts of risk that come with engaging in SEO practices.

      Besides, 'respectable' ecommerce sites don't engage in BlackHat SEO (which is what you're advocating.) If they do, their even more respectable competitors turn them in.
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565679].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

        Besides, 'respectable' ecommerce sites don't engage in BlackHat SEO (which is what you're advocating.) If they do, their even more respectable competitors turn them in.

        Buying links is considered Blackhat and if you think "respectable businesses" do not buy and negotiate links then you need to be a little better familiar with what really goes on in the market place. True, large corporations may not buy links but many "respectable" companies do and in ways that are undetectable.

        The problem with crystal clean by Googles standards SEO (which is NOT the final word on what is clean only on what they allow) is that many small businesses cannot afford it. This board has corrupted white hat to mean manual in most cases which means nothing. Real white hat is time intensive relationship building and negotiation that few SEOs good at it will charge less than a thousand and much more per month.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by Sonny Am View Post

    .so therefore if I go with one of these SEO providers offering a package that utilises their own private blog/link properties..is it not just a matter of time before that Google finally catches up with them and their blog network is exposed...which means that if I do carry out a link building campaign with these providers now...there is no real assurance for me, that in 6 months google wont find their network, and therefore having the links to my site devalued.
    No there is no assurance because neither you nor your client are in control and you would be outsourcing the SEO work to a third party that basically just provides a public service (as Mike indicated that is not even close to being a private network). Want protection for your clients then you should be in control of the network because only then can you make sure the sites are setup properly

    The only other alternative I see to the private blog/link network strategy, is the tiered link building method being offered...as long as the links for these tiers (web 2.0 links, etc) are built manually and to a high quality, would you say these links are more sustainable than the private blog network links as Google knows about the web 2.0s all along

    but why would that be any more future proof since Google already suggested a few months ago that they were working on a way to "deny the value upstream to link spammers". Most people took this as a pretty good description of tiered link building

    They are both risky for a real business. Honestly how natural does a link profile look that only has links from web 2.0s? Please bare a critical point in mind. Your client is not the standard WF member that has affiliate pages or MFAs. he has areal business and holds his own inventory. The stakes are higher. You screw up his business you screw up his life and in most cases he can't just buy another domain, install wordpress and start over again.

    If you do SEO for real businesses or are a real business, this may anger some providers, but skip link networks services on WF all together. Its well known that Google employes monitor the top forums of marketers. If you can sign up for a few dollars and the services is in anyway popular its easy for Google to paint a bullseye on its back and end up torching your client.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sonny Am
      Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

      No there is no assurance because neither you nor your client are in control and you would be outsourcing the SEO work to a third party that basically just provides a public service (as Mike indicated that is not even close to being a private network). Want protection for your clients then you should be in control of the network because only then can you make sure the sites are setup properly




      but why would that be any more future proof since Google already suggested a few months ago that they were working on a way to "deny the value upstream to link spammers". Most people took this as a pretty good description of tiered link building

      They are both risky for a real business. Honestly how natural does a link profile look that only has links from web 2.0s? Please bare a critical point in mind. Your client is not the standard WF member that has affiliate pages or MFAs. he has areal business and holds his own inventory. The stakes are higher. You screw up his business you screw up his life and in most cases he can't just buy another domain, install wordpress and start over again.

      If you do SEO for real businesses or are a real business, this may anger some providers, but skip link networks services on WF all together. Its well known that Google employes monitor the top forums of marketers. If you can sign up for a few dollars and the services is in anyway popular its easy for Google to paint a bullseye on its back and end up torching your client.
      When I referred to the link technique above, I didnt mean just web 2.0's but I meant a tiered strategy that includes web 2.0 links among other types of high quality links, from unique ips, with varied anchor text ect...

      I do completely see what you mean in regards to when working with real businesses there is a lot more at stake in terms of if something goes wrong and the site is penalised for some reason. But on the topic of my client, they have not conducted any SEO in the past, and have only ever used PPC, so any results from the SEO will be better than the zero results they are getting at the moment...

      It seems that working with real businesses when more is at stake, the best and really only strategy I see being truly safe is guest posting, blogger outreach, producing high quality content which attracts natural links ect, which are SEO techniques I have barely seen discussed on this forum for some reason....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565813].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Sonny Am View Post

        But on the topic of my client, they have not conducted any SEO in the past, and have only ever used PPC, so any results from the SEO will be better than the zero results they are getting at the moment...
        Well by that reasoning then you could go with any links no?

        really only strategy I see being truly safe is guest posting, blogger outreach, producing high quality content which attracts natural links ect, which are SEO techniques I have barely seen discussed on this forum for some reason....
        Because this is not a real SEO board. Its an internet marketers SEO forum and 95% of the board wants cheap, quick and push button easy SEO whether it works or not.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565843].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
          Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

          Because this is not a real SEO board. Its an internet marketers SEO forum
          What's a "real SEO board?" hahaha....
          Signature
          A crappy product or service by people that disappear from the forum for a long period of time to make it look like they were working on something so when they come back you will want to click on their crappy product or service link

          CLICK HERE! LOL
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566334].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
            Originally Posted by hipeopo02 View Post

            What's a "real SEO board?"

            One where people talk about all kinds of SEO not just the kind that sells in WSOs. Go ahead and look for a thread (not just some mentioning in passing) about negotiating links with webmasters. In fact I can't thnk of one thread on this board in recent times that was all about a truly white hat technique of link building. As far as I can tell the only thing even remotely discussed is guest blogging (and Imers seldom are talking about white hat there either. its usually some site that is pretty much a network or you pay for it).

            But hey when you know nothing about white hat link building then of course you think whats discussed here is all there is.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566489].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
              Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

              One where people talk about all kinds of SEO not just the kind that sells in WSOs. Go ahead and look for a thread (not just some mentioning in passing) about negotiating links with webmasters. In fact I can't thnk of one thread on this board in recent times that was all about a truly white hat technique of link building. As far as I can tell the only thing even remotely discussed is guest blogging (and Imers seldom are talking about white hat there either. its usually some site that is pretty much a network or you pay for it).

              But hey when you know nothing about white hat link building then of course you think whats discussed here is all there is.
              Most people don't think those methods are worth the extra time and effort. Also, if you're just starting out with PR 0 site it makes it difficult to negotiate links with anybody. However, if you can find other bloggers on your same level and do a little networking you'd be surprised how easily some will give you a link. Try this find a blog in your niche with same PR as you. Look for their best post, comment on it, subscribe to their list, like it on twitter and G+. At that point they will more than likely know who you are and the law of reciprocation will kick in.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566544].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author nik0
                Banned
                Originally Posted by UnkwnUsr View Post

                Most people don't think those methods are worth the extra time and effort. Also, if you're just starting out with PR 0 site it makes it difficult to negotiate links with anybody. However, if you can find other bloggers on your same level and do a little networking you'd be surprised how easily some will give you a link. Try this find a blog in your niche with same PR as you. Look for their best post, comment on it, subscribe to their list, like it on twitter and G+. At that point they will more than likely know who you are and the law of reciprocation will kick in.
                You can start a PR0 domain and buy a PR4 domain on the side that you use for link trades. Problem solved.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566574].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                Originally Posted by UnkwnUsr View Post

                Most people don't think those methods are worth the extra time and effort.
                Nope. You mean you don't and others like you don't. Surprise! Most people in SEO are not a part of WF, TP or BHW. Most SEOs do use those tactics but like I said this is not a SEO board where profesional SEOs discuss all the SEO tactics. Its an internet marketing board whee the majority use SEO only for affiliate marketing and MFAs

                Also, if you're just starting out with PR 0 site it makes it difficult to negotiate links with anybody.

                Not really. The negotiations I talked about do not involve PR necessarily. Surprise again! Many SEOs no longer worry about getting PR.

                However, if you can find other bloggers on your same level and do a little networking you'd be surprised how easily some will give you a link. Try this find a blog in your niche with same PR as you. Look for their best post, comment on it, subscribe to their list, like it on twitter and G+. At that point they will more than likely know who you are and the law of reciprocation will kick in.
                Why would I be surprised? It goes way beyond just bloggers.
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566699].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
              [DELETED]
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566614].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                [DELETED]
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566738].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
                  [DELETED]
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566833].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                    [DELETED]
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566860].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
                      [DELETED]
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566883].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                        [DELETED]
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by Sonny Am View Post

        When I referred to the link technique above, I didnt mean just web 2.0's but I meant a tiered strategy that includes web 2.0 links among other types of high quality links, from unique ips, with varied anchor text ect...
        Think for one second how UNNATURAL those type of links really look to an ecommerce site. Imagine all those hardy 'Web 2.0' bloggers out there just deep-linking to a store's inner pages...

        I'm trying hard to imagine it...but I'm drawing a blank...
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566418].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Think for one second how UNNATURAL those type of links really look to an ecommerce site. Imagine all those hardy 'Web 2.0' bloggers out there just deep-linking to a store's inner pages...

          I'm trying hard to imagine it...but I'm drawing a blank...
          Yeah, I think an ecommerce store would have to be about the hardest thing to get natural links coming into. A better idea might be to skip SEO and set up and affiliate program to build traffic.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566516].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
            Originally Posted by UnkwnUsr View Post

            Yeah, I think an ecommerce store would have to be about the hardest thing to get natural links coming into. A better idea might be to skip SEO and set up and affiliate program to build traffic.
            Definitely. Affiliate, social, and paid traffic are all better bets. Plus putting existing clients on an email list and updating with offers. It's October already and the busy season is here. There's no time to delay for shopping season.
            Signature
            Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    If there was a thread about link negotiations then it would be for sale in the WSO section lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566501].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      If there was a thread about link negotiations then it would be for sale in the WSO section lol.
      and it would not get past a single page once the readers realized it was not software based or you had to work and build relationships to get a link.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566524].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        and it would not get past a single page once the readers realized it was not software based or you had to work and build relationships to get a link.
        Wouldn't that be awesome though?

        A software where you fill in your pop3/mail details and the keywords of your choice and the tool automatically selects the proper niches and starts sending emails automatically to let's say PR4+ bloggers.

        It could even go one step further with an integrated network in the back end so that the email automatically offers a trade, a link for a link, auto detects whether the web master placed a link and if so a link back to the web master plus confirmation mail.

        Not even that impossible when you think of it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    I work for an ecommerce company. I'm the "link builder" of the company too. If I were you, I'd rather just hire someone from odesk and tell them the exact task you want. For instance, have them do the grunt work, which they provide you a list of all the webmasters e-mails for whatever criteria you want from their site (PR , trust flow, etc), since this will take a crap load of time. From there, you e-mail them and build a relationship and hopefully you get a link from these high PR sites.
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Should I be wary of hiring an SEO link builder who uses their own private blog/link network?
    If the network was private you wouldn't be buying links from the owner.

    Private is private (not selling to anyone else).
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    Why change something when it's not broken? Must be workin for Mike Anthony .
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566750].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by GGpaul View Post

      Why change something when it's not broken? Must be workin for Mike Anthony .
      Look at you though. Did you not just read that getting links to an ecommerce site is too hard and the OP might as well not bother with SEO for an ecommerce site :rolleyes:. I guess you are going to be out of a job soon seeing as how you work for an ecommerce clothing site.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566775].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        Look at you though. Did you not just read that getting links to an ecommerce site is too hard and the OP might as well not bother with SEO for an ecommerce site :rolleyes:. I guess you are going to be out of a job soon seeing as how you work for an ecommerce clothing site.
        hahah not when I show you all the issues that this site has ON-PAGE wise.
        Signature

        RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    The answer to the question depends on the nature of the private network.

    Public networks, as a previous poster said, have been target of Google. They have seriously gone after them and they are easy to infiltrate, track and penalize. That much is obvious.

    They also have algorithms to detect private networks, however if you do things right they are virtually undetectable, and therefore, pretty damn sustainaible. Although, in todays SEO climate, no SEO techinique is 100% risk free or bulletproof.

    Anyway, check if your client does the following:

    - Mixes up posts, some containing links, some content only.
    - Uses readable content (Non spun is best, highly spun and readable second best).
    - Doesn't churn too many posts.
    - Uses rich media.
    - Has private domain registrations.
    - Doesn't use SEO hosting on class c IP's, but instead uses lots of different shared hosting plans.

    If you do all the above, and make the sites like legit, there is virtually nothing Google can do. Short of some kind of manual review on your site, you are good to go. Obviously usual rules apply in terms of anchor text, natural link velocity etc as well.
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566834].message }}

Trending Topics