15 out of 20 sites had 75%+ of money keywords.
I compared that batch to 20 sites that didn't tank and they had like 30-40% money keywords and many diverse anchors like generic and branded.
However there was a grey area that I didn't had the time for to figure out so today I took a closer look at those sites where I couldn't directly find a reason:
Site 1: 50 pages large, 20 footer links linking to "City" pages, all duplicate content, only the city name was changed
Site 2: eCommerce site with 150+ pages, each product had a separate page, however only the weight or color was different, the rest of the description 100% duplicate. 54% same anchor used
Site 3: Again about half of the pages were city pages where poor spun content only on "word" level was used, again duplicate content issue's
Site 4: Same META description at each page, no idea how that terrible is, couldn't find much besides main kw was used 30% of the time as anchor text but the site didn't have too many links
Site 5: Main kw used 43% of referring domains, about 30% of the pages were non redirecting 404 pages so all old url's still indexed with an empty page so again onpage issue's
Many of these sites also had heavy link losses over the last 6 months.
As we all know, Penguin updates don't get triggered on every single site as it's always a combination of factors and this kind of shows that.
I never expected that people would pull these tricks with real websites, I don't think it's really a matter of tricks but more like lazyness or running out of idea's what to write and then just copy it all over.
Good practices to avoid penalties:
- Make sure each page is unique, do NOT spin your content
- Check if your site doesn't create empty pages after renaming a page, a 404 redirect can fix this
- Take care of unique meta descriptions or leave it empty
- Never use spun content on your website, hire a writer when you are out of idea's
- Make your anchor profile wide, not just money keywords
- Try to avoid EMD domain names in case you don't know what you're doing
- Avoid spamming as that not only prevents bad links but also prevents link loss
- Don't use spun content in your back links
- Get links on pages with pagerank, preferable niche relevant
- Again use as many different anchor text's as possible (branded,generic,sentences,phrases)
If you get these few simple things straight you never run into any penalties!