Penguin 2.1 Analysis - This Is All You Need To Know - SEO Ain't Hard People Are Just Silly

by nik0 Banned
16 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Earlier I quicly analyzed 20 sites that tanked and I mainly focused on anchor diversity and how often money keywords were used.

15 out of 20 sites had 75%+ of money keywords.

I compared that batch to 20 sites that didn't tank and they had like 30-40% money keywords and many diverse anchors like generic and branded.

However there was a grey area that I didn't had the time for to figure out so today I took a closer look at those sites where I couldn't directly find a reason:

Site 1: 50 pages large, 20 footer links linking to "City" pages, all duplicate content, only the city name was changed

Site 2: eCommerce site with 150+ pages, each product had a separate page, however only the weight or color was different, the rest of the description 100% duplicate. 54% same anchor used

Site 3: Again about half of the pages were city pages where poor spun content only on "word" level was used, again duplicate content issue's

Site 4: Same META description at each page, no idea how that terrible is, couldn't find much besides main kw was used 30% of the time as anchor text but the site didn't have too many links

Site 5: Main kw used 43% of referring domains, about 30% of the pages were non redirecting 404 pages so all old url's still indexed with an empty page so again onpage issue's

Many of these sites also had heavy link losses over the last 6 months.

As we all know, Penguin updates don't get triggered on every single site as it's always a combination of factors and this kind of shows that.

I never expected that people would pull these tricks with real websites, I don't think it's really a matter of tricks but more like lazyness or running out of idea's what to write and then just copy it all over.

Good practices to avoid penalties:

- Make sure each page is unique, do NOT spin your content
- Check if your site doesn't create empty pages after renaming a page, a 404 redirect can fix this
- Take care of unique meta descriptions or leave it empty
- Never use spun content on your website, hire a writer when you are out of idea's
- Make your anchor profile wide, not just money keywords
- Try to avoid EMD domain names in case you don't know what you're doing
- Avoid spamming as that not only prevents bad links but also prevents link loss
- Don't use spun content in your back links
- Get links on pages with pagerank, preferable niche relevant
- Again use as many different anchor text's as possible (branded,generic,sentences,phrases)

If you get these few simple things straight you never run into any penalties!
#analysis #penguin
  • Profile picture of the author adystanley
    Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

    Earlier I quicly analyzed 20 sites that tanked and I mainly focused on anchor diversity and how often money keywords were used.

    15 out of 20 sites had 75%+ of money keywords.

    I compared that batch to 20 sites that didn't tank and they had like 30-40% money keywords and many diverse anchors like generic and branded.

    However there was a grey area that I didn't had the time for to figure out so today I took a closer look at those sites where I couldn't directly find a reason:

    Site 1: 50 pages large, 20 footer links linking to "City" pages, all duplicate content, only the city name was changed

    Site 2: eCommerce site with 150+ pages, each product had a separate page, however only the weight or color was different, the rest of the description 100% duplicate. 54% same anchor used

    Site 3: Again about half of the pages were city pages where poor spun content only on "word" level was used, again duplicate content issue's

    Site 4: Same META description at each page, no idea how that terrible is, couldn't find much besides main kw was used 30% of the time as anchor text but the site didn't have too many links

    Site 5: Main kw used 43% of referring domains, about 30% of the pages were non redirecting 404 pages so all old url's still indexed with an empty page so again onpage issue's

    Many of these sites also had heavy link losses over the last 6 months.

    As we all know, Penguin updates don't get triggered on every single site as it's always a combination of factors and this kind of shows that.

    I never expected that people would pull these tricks with real websites, I don't think it's really a matter of tricks but more like lazyness or running out of idea's what to write and then just copy it all over.

    Good practices to avoid penalties:

    - Make sure each page is unique, do NOT spin your content
    - Check if your site doesn't create empty pages after renaming a page, a 404 redirect can fix this
    - Take care of unique meta descriptions or leave it empty
    - Never use spun content on your website, hire a writer when you are out of idea's
    - Make your anchor profile wide, not just money keywords
    - Try to avoid EMD domain names in case you don't know what you're doing
    - Avoid spamming as that not only prevents bad links but also prevents link loss
    - Don't use spun content in your back links
    - Get links on pages with pagerank, preferable niche relevant
    - Again use as many different anchor text's as possible (branded,generic,sentences,phrases)

    If you get these few simple things straight you never run into any penalties!
    You worked on my website. And no results, remember? What is wrong with it? Everything seems fine, but i'm the exception.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594891].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by adystanley View Post

      You worked on my website. And no results, remember? What is wrong with it? Everything seems fine, but i'm the exception.
      Tons of people already explained you what was wrong with your site and Google Webmasters already told you tons of times that your pages don't provide any value to your visitors so perhaps you should follow a course "understanding & reading".

      What can also help is not setting up your site so crappy in the first place and waiting patiently till Panda refreshes instead of nagging about no results. And reusing an old (most probably previously penalized) domain doesn't work in your favor either. I pointed that out to you as well.

      No idea why I have to explain it for the 5th or so time but so be it!

      Anyway, cause you're so thankful and such a good listener I am going to remove those free links again smartass.

      You're not the exception, you're the rule.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickCopy
    question...
    you mentioned going after sites with pagerank... in your opinion how long do you think this is going to play a factor? My site is about 7 months old and absolutely should have some page rank by now with the linking ive done and the amount of traffic I get... but if G isnt going to update pagerank then how long before it becomes a moot point for linking?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594930].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by RickCopy View Post

      question...
      you mentioned going after sites with pagerank... in your opinion how long do you think this is going to play a factor? My site is about 7 months old and absolutely should have some page rank by now with the linking ive done and the amount of traffic I get... but if G isnt going to update pagerank then how long before it becomes a moot point for linking?
      Pagerank exists whether Google updates the toolbar or not. The toolbar is just a snapshot of the PR at a given time. And Google has said even when they do update the toolbar it, usually it is a few weeks to months behind.
      Signature
      SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
      Get a FREE Quote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594942].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by RickCopy View Post

      question...
      you mentioned going after sites with pagerank... in your opinion how long do you think this is going to play a factor? My site is about 7 months old and absolutely should have some page rank by now with the linking ive done and the amount of traffic I get... but if G isnt going to update pagerank then how long before it becomes a moot point for linking?
      You can replace it with a combination of stats from external sources:

      - DA
      - PA
      - MozRank
      - MozTrust (from Moz.com)

      - CF
      - TF (both from Majestic)

      When you know how to interpretate these stats you have a good replacement for pagerank. All domain buyers are already using this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594943].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RickCopy
        ah...thank you. now I need to do some research on how to interpret all this. Moz shows me at 28/100 ... which I thought was pretty bad at first but Ive got a PR5 site that links to me that's only a 56...so that's not horrible right? Sorry....pretty new to MOZ.

        thanks again

        Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

        You can replace it with a combination of stats from external sources:

        - DA
        - PA
        - MozRank
        - MozTrust (from Moz.com)

        - CF
        - TF (both from Majestic)

        When you know how to interpretate these stats you have a good replacement for pagerank. All domain buyers are already using this.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595149].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nik0
          Banned
          Originally Posted by RickCopy View Post

          ah...thank you. now I need to do some research on how to interpret all this. Moz shows me at 28/100 ... which I thought was pretty bad at first but Ive got a PR5 site that links to me that's only a 56...so that's not horrible right? Sorry....pretty new to MOZ.

          thanks again
          I wrote a thread about how to interpretate it some time ago so try to find that one. Too lazy to type it all out again
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595363].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nik0
          Banned
          Originally Posted by RickCopy View Post

          ah...thank you. now I need to do some research on how to interpret all this. Moz shows me at 28/100 ... which I thought was pretty bad at first but Ive got a PR5 site that links to me that's only a 56...so that's not horrible right? Sorry....pretty new to MOZ.

          thanks again
          DA28? That isn't too bad. Unless you achieved that by building a lot of spammy links, you always have to see it in combination with the rest.

          How about Majestic's Trust Flow?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8630106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Times must be hard when a guy has to take on warez sites for a client.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8594992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Times must be hard when a guy has to take on warez sites for a client.
      Lol him again.

      The high PR blog network service accepted all clients except for odd niches like porn, viagra and such, should've added warez I guess yeah as now I never seem to get rid of that guy.

      Actually I offered him to rank a site for free cause I felt sorry, this time an Amazon affiliate site, super thin of course, heavily over monetized and ranking nowhere. Provided suggestions how to make the site better, add extra content and everything, same like I do with my affiliate sites that always rank great. He did, so kudos for that.

      However it turned out to be based on an old EMD domain name that was registered previously and I suspect that site to either have had a penalty before that hasn't been lifted or the Panda refresh is delayed this time and still dealing with the current Panda penalty as most of the keywords still don't show up and the ones that do are at #200-#300.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jinx1221
    Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

    15 out of 20 sites had 75%+ of money keywords.
    Do you mean keywords like "buy here", "coupon code" etc? Just curious. I have a suspicion back in my head that IM'ers/SEO's are getting so good at what they (we) do that the sites they are bumping to the top, Google's getting sick of them cutting in to their biz - Adwords. So that will help discourage IM'ers out of SEO and into buying Adwords. We will still see the obvious (Amazon, Best Buy, high authority review sites etc) but the rest will be mainly information sites or whatever, hidden agenda being to get surfers to click on the Adwords ads because they'll have a harder time finding 'buyer' sites in the organic results. Of course that could just be my crazy conspiracy theories kicking in. Any thoughts?
    Signature

    The Ultimate Private Network Management,
    Visualization and Automation Tool




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by jinx1221 View Post

      Do you mean keywords like "buy here", "coupon code" etc? Just curious. I have a suspicion back in my head that IM'ers/SEO's are getting so good at what they (we) do that the sites they are bumping to the top, Google's getting sick of them cutting in to their biz - Adwords. So that will help discourage IM'ers out of SEO and into buying Adwords. We will still see the obvious (Amazon, Best Buy, high authority review sites etc) but the rest will be mainly information sites or whatever, hidden agenda being to get surfers to click on the Adwords ads because they'll have a harder time finding 'buyer' sites in the organic results. Of course that could just be my crazy conspiracy theories kicking in. Any thoughts?
      No I mean the main keyword and variations of that, keywords that make you money when you rank for them, not buy now and such lol.

      Most IM'ers will get banned instantly from Adwords so I don't think that's Google's main goal here.

      An example of buying keyword for Amazon products would be something like:

      - best lawnmowers
      - lawnmower reviews

      Google just wants to get rid of spam, you can still easily rank for the above keywords for a long time when you don't over optimize and follow the rest of my list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    One time I was ranking for the keyword "how to get girls". I was on page one. My link profile had "ggpaul" as the anchor text. This was when I didn't know anything about anchor text. L O L. F M L.
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8595224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Story
    Hey nik0,

    What about SEO for websites with mainly products listings? For example, an accessory company website with tons of categories and product images + short product specs.

    How do we do SEO for such websites without any written content? Since there are so many product listings, we could not built links to each and every product and page don't we?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8630137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Story View Post

      Hey nik0,

      What about SEO for websites with mainly products listings? For example, an accessory company website with tons of categories and product images + short product specs.

      How do we do SEO for such websites without any written content? Since there are so many product listings, we could not built links to each and every product and page don't we?
      You can add content to the category pages, not always very easy to achieve so it requires some searching to figure out how to do it.

      To make it not look like an ugly lap of text you can use some so-called "accordeon" scripts to hide most of the text, it then unfolds when people click on read more or hover their mouse over it. So then you can just show 1 paragraph of text or just 1 sentence and the rest is still visible for Google and it's a normal practice that Google doesn't frowns up on.

      To give the site some additional value you could start a blog and/or news section on the side to give the site some extra weight.

      Oh wait...

      This is a thread about link building, not onpage stuff

      What I mostly do is point most of the links at homepage and category level as I always make sure these are well optimized for the keywords I like to target. I do it mostly like this:

      25% of links to homepage
      25% of links spread out over multiple categories
      50% of links spread out over the actual posts / product listings

      Simply cause that looks somewhat natural and the juice comes inside from all ways so it can spread out good.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8630245].message }}

Trending Topics