What is the MINIMUM keyword traffic that would make A SEO campaign succesful to You?????

18 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Can't recall ever seeing this discussed but everyone here has to make this decision at some point. When doing keyword research what traffic are you looking for as a MINIMUM that if you hit you consider the campaign successful?

Whether you did the campaign yourself AND whether you paid for it.

Now if you are going after really long tail and are looking to rank for a number of terms whats a good goal for you as to total traffic combined?

If you only go after 1-4 keywords in a campaign what number of searches per month is too low for you to purposely go after? Ranking top 3

100 searches a month
1,000 searches a month
10,0000 searches a month


NOTE: I DO NOT MEAN GOALS FOR A SITE OR AIMS. I mean a SEO campaign where you are optimizing a site for a certain set of keywords and building links before moving on to the next set of keywords etc.

Now obviously we would all WANT the higher numbers but whats the MINIMUM number you would declare as some meaningful success?

Hopefully I am explaining the question good enough (maybe not).

I know this varies widely due to monetization so feel free to include those variations. For example in one of my niche targets (high paying) its usually 50 visits a day on a newer site so my lowest level of success for that would be 1500 a month.

Since we all do SEO for traffic its an interesting discussion to hear others perspective. There is no right or wrong unless you don't think about traffic at all or don't do conversion calculations.
#campaign #keyword #make #minimum #seo #succesful #traffic
  • Profile picture of the author lutherlars
    I have sites in various nich's and the only thing I care about really, is how much money they generate. A few of my smaller earners are sites that get the majority of traffic I get overall but the nich is not high paying.
    I'd rather make 10 bucks a day off 500 visitors than 6 or 7 bucks a day off 2500 visitors, and yes, personal examples of mine lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598589].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by lutherlars View Post

      I'd rather make 10 bucks a day off 500 visitors than 6 or 7 bucks a day off 2500 visitors, and yes, personal examples of mine lol.

      Thanks thats prettty close to what I was asking. In other words you build a seo campaign that goes for 15,000 visits per month a month (very reasonable except given click through rate you would nee substantial more search traffic).

      But yeah I get you. i can go lower in my niche because I make $50 a conversion.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    When I build Amazon sites my goal is 100.000+ exact searches/month combined.

    That way I can easily reach 6k visits/month or 200/day as that often translates to $200/month in affiliate income which makes it worthwhile as I always want to have made my money back in 1-2 months max.

    In this case the main kw mostly has like 5-8k exact searches/month.

    Products are mostly in the $50-$100 price range.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598659].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      When I build Amazon sites my goal is 100.000+ exact searches/month combined.

      So do you keyword research to that amount or do you break that down into campaigns and do it all at once

      or say like how your customers might -

      Target this keywod/keywords and then if they rank they move on to another set (with maintenance). I usually define a campaign the same way as I do for my customers - a certain set of keywords and then move on from their to additional keywords. Thats what I was trying to say for "campaigns"

      Or perhaps you do it different than is the standard for SEOs
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598717].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        So do you keyword research to that amount or do you break that down into campaigns and do it all at once

        or say like how your customers might -

        Target this keywod/keywords and then if they rank they move on to another set (with maintenance). I usually define a campaign the same way as I do for my customers - a certain set of keywords and then move on from their to additional keywords. Thats what I was trying to say for "campaigns"

        Or perhaps you do it different than is the standard for SEOs
        I do it all at once, starting with adding "best" or "reviews" behind the main keyword and then adding the brands to it for all different pages.

        Then when you add up all the variations you often end up with 100k+ searches.

        I then build links without focusing too much on keywords at all, just a batch of 60 high PR blog posts on my separate network where I sticky half of them to remain permanent on the homepage. The links will then be somewhat evenly distributed among homepage, category pages and actual posts. (majority to homepage of course).

        You can't compare that to my clients as those 60 high PR blog posts would cost $360,- (and then half of them aren't even sticky that would increase the price even more) and packages above $200 hardly sell so I can't take this approach with clients although I do think it's the best approach you can take with brand new sites as I place 20 links immidiately and the other 40 get dripfeed over 40 days. It kind of simulates a site that gets heavily promoted at the start and then slowly the promotion dies down. Very effective for me.

        My clients mostly give me a fixed set of keywords and some vary it up in later months, if they don't vary it up cause they don't have any other keywords (like specific local businesses) then I vary it up with branded, generic anchors and such. By the time all or most of their keywords reached #1 #2 or #3 they often cancel the service as then it looks like the goals are achieved. I should be more active in approaching them at that phase and telling them to add pages so we can target nearby cities, perhaps they stay longer subscribed that way.

        The main reason why I don't take the same approach as my clients is cause I'm prepared to spend my budget all in one month instead of waiting multiple months (time = money). I'm an impatient guy and I haven't seen any evidence that a one time link blast lasts shorter then spreading it out over multiple months.

        I'm also able to play this game more aggressively then others as in case it doesn't work out as expected I can take down the links and only lose the money invested in content.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8599860].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

          I do it all at once, starting with adding "best" or "reviews" behind the main keyword and then adding the brands to it for all different pages.
          But does that even work.? The reason I have to ask is because in another thread you indicated your top money maker made $600 a month. Thats a very high traffic count to only make $600 a month. For me at least I am not sure that begins to meet being a very succesful campaign.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8600743].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nik0
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            But does that even work.? The reason I have to ask is because in another thread you indicated your top money maker made $600 a month. Thats a very high traffic count to only make $600 a month. For me at least I am not sure that begins to meet being a very succesful campaign.
            Lol none of what you write makes any sense, I am out of this thread.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8600866].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

              Lol none of what you write makes any sense, I am out of this thread.

              Perfectly understandable question. You claim you make $600/month on your best site and that your minimum before you consider it successful is 100,000 visits a month.

              We are marketers so its about the money. Is $150 per week successful? If it is to you then thats fine but its a pretty straight forward question. Makes perfect sense.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patadeperro
    I am usually looking for any combination of keywords that gives me at least 1,000 visitors per day, in no more than 4 - 5 months.

    This depends a lot on the offer, monetization method, market, etc... but I go for a 1k per day goal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598678].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      yeah I figured I didn't explain that well. I don't mean an overall goal for a site. I mean a campaign as in

      "Okay with this link building activity for this month my minimum is the following keywords and this increase in traffic"

      Kind of like when you hire a SEO or give a linkbuilder a set of keywords. Its just for a certain set of keywords as a campaign for them to achieve ranking not every single keyword for all your traffic goals for the site

      You can aim to get one thousand visits a day in 4-5 months but that different too from a minimum for a keyword campaign's success. Lets say you only got 500 would you consider that a failure for that campaign.

      Aim and goal is different than defining success and failures in generating traffic
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598699].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
    Its really hard to put a figure on it in terms of traffic. Because profits from markets differ so much.

    I like to make commissions between $10-150. A site that makes $6000 a month min. And it usually takes about 30k UV to hit the target. So I end up chasing keywords with 10k search volume min. And a lot of them per site.

    But it all depends, because I do dig deep on some longtails to mix my link profile up too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598734].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post


      I like to make commissions between $10-150. A site that makes $6000 a month min. And it usually takes about 30k UV to hit the target. So I end up chasing keywords with 10k search volume min. And a lot of them per site.

      But it all depends, because I do dig deep on some longtails to mix my link profile up too.
      Perfect. So like 3 keywords 10,000 each in campaign...understood
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598767].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
        keyword volume means very little because you can always have "X" number of keywords if constantly add to your site.

        conversion rates per keyword are all I care about.
        Signature
        A crappy product or service by people that disappear from the forum for a long period of time to make it look like they were working on something so when they come back you will want to click on their crappy product or service link

        CLICK HERE! LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598869].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        Perfect. So like 3 keywords 10,000 each in campaign...understood
        Its more like ranking for top 3 in a 250k search volume but it doesnt matter. This is my very first real website voyage. And I have been around since 97. But yeah absolutely no doubt that I'm learning fast, its much better to be going for high end if your going for anything at all. I'm very happy with the results of the project so far. And ROI was worth it for sure.

        But my next big projects will be for BOSS DOLLA MONIES!!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8600931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author online only
    Overall traffic goal through SEO would probably be 300 visits per day, but usually much more higher.
    But that also means that I don't pick products that pay out less than $150 (commission).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8599983].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by online only View Post

      Overall traffic goal through SEO would probably be 300 visits per day, but usually much more higher.
      But that also means that I don't pick products that pay out less than $150 (commission).
      One of the things that to me is emerging out of this thread is there is a world of difference between marketers here and businesses. I wonder if this is not the reason for high failure rates among marketers. The payout (adsense/affilate) as you alluded to is just too low.

      The minimum here so far for a successful campaign is 9-10 thousand visits a month. That goes to a hunderd thousand which very few people in IM are ever going to hit. Look at adwords and you get the vast difference. For many keywords small businesses gladly shell out 50 cents to $5 per visit without blinking (of course some businesses a bunch more) and they would consider even 3,000 as a success (local busnesses especially).

      They consider these rates successful because they make faaar more money off each converted customer. Maybe the answer for most marketers is not to get more traffic but higher payouts. Most of my offline business make serious cash off as low as 100-200 visits a day. Internet marketers should perhaps look for offline opportunities and then carry them online (real estate agents, insurance, brokers are but a few examples)
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8600720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    I will target keywords with like 10+ searches per month. However..

    Lets say for example, i am targetting an online casino.. lets call it "casino name" that might have 5000 searches a month, but then there will be phrases like:

    - casino name review
    - casino name bonus
    - casino name mobile
    - casino name app
    - casino name promotion code
    - casinoname.com

    Normally there are like 10 modifiers. I target them all on one page with seperate sections and <h2>.. no need to overoptimize, google knows the theme of the page so you can just have <h2> section for like "bonus codes"... "mobile app" etc etc.

    Then think of a catchy title that will have a high CTR with the main keyword in.

    Normally i pick up the longtails on the first page whilst targetting the main keyword, even though i am not gunning for them. Lots of the longtails will end up getting 10-200 searches a month, but when each visitor is worth <$1 in real terms, it makes sense to go after them.

    You are welcome. Super valuable info right there.

    But moral of the story... dont create 10 pages on ur site for each one, thats ******* stupid.
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MEDUJEWELRY
    Our current Plan has got us to 1000 unique views a month but our next target is a large content based SEO Plan with some targeted link building. Which we want to see 10,000 a month minimum from Organic Traffic
    Signature

    Become a www.medujewelry.com affiliate get 20% commission for life on all referrals purchases.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601044].message }}

Trending Topics