Facebook likes without page affects pagerank

by naate
17 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Two years ago I started my webshop and put a simple Facebook like button at the main page of the website. I got like 1.400 likes, but realized I did not have a Facebook page.

I started my Facebook page and changed the like button for a Facebook (page) like box (again at the main page). At the moment I have around 11.500 Facebook (page) likes.

I want to get a high PR so I installed the SEO Quake toolbar and now I see at the main page they say my website has 1.400 likes. But I got 11.500 likes? How is this possible?

I want my 11.500 page likes to affect my pagerank, not the first 1.400!
#affects #facebook #likes #page #pagerank
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by naate View Post

    I want my 11.500 page likes to affect my pagerank, not the first 1.400!
    PR (pagerank) is from links on pages that have PR, not social trophies (Likes, tweets, views, etc..).
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author naate
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      PR (pagerank) is from links on pages that have PR, not social trophies (Likes, tweets, views, etc..).
      Thank you very much!

      In that case (I guess facebook likes DO affect SEO) is it possible google takes the 1.400 likes into account instead of the 11.500 likes (just as the seo quake toolbar)?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816175].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rebeccha Haase
        Originally Posted by naate View Post

        Thank you very much!

        In that case (I guess facebook likes DO affect SEO) is it possible google takes the 1.400 likes into account instead of the 11.500 likes (just as the seo quake toolbar)?
        I also agree with @Yukon that facebook likes have nothing to do with page rank. But still if you think it have got some sort of effects, wait and watch for the update of SEO Quake.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816295].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        I'm not sure how you got this:

        Originally Posted by naate View Post

        In that case (I guess facebook likes DO affect SEO) is it possible google takes the 1.400 likes into account instead of the 11.500 likes (just as the seo quake toolbar)?




        ...from this:

        PR (pagerank) is from links on pages that have PR, not social trophies (Likes, tweets, views, etc..).
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author naate
    I mean Facebook likes affecting SEO (not PR)

    How does Google know which Facebook page belongs to my site?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826125].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rehmat
      Originally Posted by naate View Post

      I mean Facebook likes affecting SEO (not PR)
      Yes social signals affect your content's positions in SERPs. One of my blog post's URL got over 1K FB likes, many Google+ recommendations and tweets and it is still ranking #1 on Google.
      How does Google know which Facebook page belongs to my site?
      Your Facebook page's likes aren't going to help you directly. Yes the more fans will be there, you will get more referred visitors for shared content and in turn more likes.
      Instead get social likes for your post's/page's URLs too.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8828375].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IMdeaming
        Originally Posted by Rehmat View Post

        Yes social signals affect your content's positions in SERPs. One of my blog post's URL got over 1K FB likes, many Google+ recommendations and tweets and it is still ranking #1 on Google.
        Your Facebook page's likes aren't going to help you directly. Yes the more fans will be there, you will get more referred visitors for shared content and in turn more likes.
        Instead get social likes for your post's/page's URLs too.
        Does that page have any links? What makes you so sure it was the likes and not something else? I'd love to see some kind of evidence because no one has any, and I've THOROUGHLY tested it myself. And im not talkin about the bot stuff either. Ended up being a complete waste of time.
        Signature
        Something stinks...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8828440].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rehmat
          Originally Posted by IMdeaming View Post

          Does that page have any links? What makes you so sure it was the likes and not something else? I'd love to see some kind of evidence because no one has any, and I've THOROUGHLY tested it myself. And im not talkin about the bot stuff either. Ended up being a complete waste of time.
          Yes the page now has been linked too much but I'm talking about the beginning when I just published the post and shared on social networks.

          I realized that social shares helped me in getting #1. Though all social links are nofollow, still I believe that they helped. I'm not saying that you should focus only on social promotion. I am sharing what I experienced.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8829771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DPM70
    You'll be pleased to hear that Facebook is going down the pan.

    Facebook 'Dead And Buried' As Teens Turn Away

    Maybe not right now - but the writing's on "the wall."

    haha geddit? facebook pun, right!
    Signature
    I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build. - Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Here we go... :rolleyes:

    Nobody ever ranked a page with Likes, Tweets, Views.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8828570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seekdefo
    Maybe no one ever ranked a site with likes and tweets but they have an impact on the ranking, don't have any proof for it though
    Signature

    Brevity is the soul of wit

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8829864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMdeaming
      Originally Posted by seekdefo View Post

      Maybe no one ever ranked a site with likes and tweets but they have an impact on the ranking, don't have any proof for it though
      That makes no sense whatsoever. I shouldn't even have to explain why.
      Signature
      Something stinks...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830358].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8829962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Rehmat View Post

      Here is what Google says (on AdSense login page):
      Screenshot by Lightshot
      That ad is talking about attaching a G+ profile image to existing ranked pages. Granted subscribers will get personalized search results but that will also happen without G+ (browser cookies/history).

      In other words, your not ranking a page with G+, it's basically a bookmark in the SERPs for old returning traffic.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830341].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rehmat
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        That ad is talking about attaching a G+ profile image to existing ranked pages. Granted subscribers will get personalized search results but that will also happen without G+ (browser cookies/history).

        In other words, your not ranking a page with G+, it's basically a bookmark in the SERPs for old returning traffic.
        Thank you for the explanation . Yes personalization greatly alters the SERP rankings. Google shows my own posts on first page for me always, even for some very highly competitive keywords :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    Originally Posted by naate View Post

    I want my 11.500 page likes to affect my pagerank, not the first 1.400!
    This is "what did I just read" kind of stuff, but others have already explained why. The numbers on your page are usually just for vanity, but you may be able to use them for "social proof" to increase conversions. Nothing to do with SEO, however.

    If you want to change the numbers on your page, you should change or reconfigure your social plugin. It should be possible to fetch both page likes (or "shares") and FB fan page likes from the APIs. The browser toolbar is obviously getting the former, but it's just for informative purposes.
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8845641].message }}

Trending Topics