The quick answer to the increased traffic is: LINK JUICE FUNNELING
What I did was:
- Change posting template for pages from default to no sidebar to avoid link juice leaking away to not so important pages.
- Stripped the main navigation / menu bar from Contact / Disclamer etc pages.
- Added my most important pages to the navigation / menu bar.
- Installed a dynamic plugin that only shows posts from that specific category on the product review pages from that specific category
- Setup the dynamic plugin in such way that it doesn't show anything on category level in the sidebar, besides a large image that links back to my most important page that matches with the category (otherwise it looks so empty).
- Inter linking relevant posts to each other and linking back to my most important page that's relevant to that post.
And that's it, a combination of proper link juice funneling and silo structuring increased rankings for my main keywords with several spots and thus the traffic increased with 70%.
Stay tuned, in my next post (part two) I will try to improve traffic again by just some on-page changes in the shape of adding more content to existing pages, right now the main pages have about 1200 words of content, I will double that. I will also add additional content to the category pages which only show read more snippets right now.
And in part three I will re-optimize the actual product pages with decent onpage SEO and modified titles. My aim is to get this site at 200 unique visitors/day with no extra links. Before the structured changes it was at about 50 unique visitors/day, right now it's doing 85 unique visitors/day.