Sitemaps and Silo architecture

8 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Would having a sitemap prevent you from having a siloed site?
#architecture #silo #sitemaps
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by rschmitz View Post

    Would having a sitemap prevent you from having a siloed site?
    The answer is No.

    There's two types of sitemaps, HTML & xml:
    • The HTML sitemap would usually be a single web page with internal links.
    • The xml sitemap is usually all your pages/post on a single file but you could break that down into category level xml sitemaps If you know how to build xml sitemaps. Then submit each category xml file to GWT (Google Webmaster Tools).
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8916699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JJPerkins
      No, silo architecture is just about reinforcing the thematic structure of your site.
      The idea that you can't have any other links around your site seems to be a prevalent fallacy from out of nowhere :confused:

      As long as your site is cleanly structured and well interlinked having nav bar menus, legalese pages etc won't undermine your intent.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8917332].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rschmitz
        Originally Posted by JJPerkins View Post

        No, silo architecture is just about reinforcing the thematic structure of your site.
        The idea that you can't have any other links around your site seems to be a prevalent fallacy from out of nowhere :confused:

        As long as your site is cleanly structured and well interlinked having nav bar menus, legalese pages etc won't undermine your intent.
        The only way to reinforce thematic structure is through links. What kind of thematic structure is your site going to have if articles about used tires are being linked to articles about toasters?

        If your using the LSI model, google will know your intent a lot more if "electric toaster", "portable toaster", and "handheld toaster", link to "toaster", as opposed to a page on used tires, mops, or even pots and pans.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8917353].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JJPerkins
          Originally Posted by rschmitz View Post

          The only way to reinforce thematic structure is through links. What kind of thematic structure is your site going to have if articles about used tires are being linked to articles about toasters?

          If your using the LSI model, google will know your intent a lot more if "electric toaster", "portable toaster", and "handheld toaster", link to "toaster", as opposed to a page on used tires, mops, or even pots and pans.
          Why on earth would you have articles about used tires on the same site as articles about toasters!
          I was making the assumption that you understood the basics of silo usage and you just wanted the question about a sitemap creating unwanted links clearing up.

          Of course you wouldn't ever link between unrelated subjects that you don't want confused with each other. I didn't suggest that.
          What I'm saying is that if your silos are well setup you don't need to worry about a few links on the site that don't reinforce the structure (as long as they don't work against it of course).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8917442].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author rschmitz
            Originally Posted by JJPerkins View Post

            What I'm saying is that if your silos are well setup you don't need to worry about a few links on the site that don't reinforce the structure (as long as they don't work against it of course).
            I used that as an extreme example to make my point, because it sounded like you were saying that linking throughout the site doesn't matter. In fact, it sounds like that is the point that you are still trying to make.

            If you aren't reinforcing the structure, your working against it. The tighter the theme, by not linking to unrelated pages, the better your silo structure is.

            If you've put in the work to talk about toaster brands, why would you hurt your theme by linking to a page that talks about kitchen knives? If you want to be anal over used tires.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8917468].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JJPerkins
              Okay, I am not saying random links to unrelated pages of the site don't matter!

              What I'm saying is that there has to be a balance of silo structure for the seo benefits, and the usability of the site for visitors.
              Some people seem to be taking the tight silo building to such an extreme that there's no way for visitors to navigate the site.

              I have experimented myself with taking the nav menu out and yes the site ranked well and fast, but when it started to get traffic the bounce rate was appalling.
              Put some menus and footer links back and it improved, both in bounce rate and rankings.

              All I was trying to say was that having some internal pages that are outside of and separate to your silo structure doesn't harm.
              If your silos are tight and well put together then a few menu links on the home page aren't going to hurt. Likewise a sitemap page, which you could always no index if you wanted to.
              That said I only bother with a HTML sitemap if a site grows to over 50 pages or more, why put one in unnecessarily anyway I feel.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8919392].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author rschmitz
                Originally Posted by JJPerkins View Post

                Okay, I am not saying random links to unrelated pages of the site don't matter!

                What I'm saying is that there has to be a balance of silo structure for the seo benefits, and the usability of the site for visitors.
                Some people seem to be taking the tight silo building to such an extreme that there's no way for visitors to navigate the site.

                I have experimented myself with taking the nav menu out and yes the site ranked well and fast, but when it started to get traffic the bounce rate was appalling.
                Put some menus and footer links back and it improved, both in bounce rate and rankings.

                All I was trying to say was that having some internal pages that are outside of and separate to your silo structure doesn't harm.
                If your silos are tight and well put together then a few menu links on the home page aren't going to hurt. Likewise a sitemap page, which you could always no index if you wanted to.
                That said I only bother with a HTML sitemap if a site grows to over 50 pages or more, why put one in unnecessarily anyway I feel.
                Ok fair enough
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8919871].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rschmitz
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The answer is No.

      There's two types of sitemaps, HTML & xml:
      • The HTML sitemap would usually be a single web page with internal links.
      • The xml sitemap is usually all your pages/post on a single file but you could break that down into category level xml sitemaps If you know how to build xml sitemaps. Then submit each category xml file to GWT (Google Webmaster Tools).
      Can you explain this a little better for me please Yukon? Would it be easy to learn how to build xml sitemaps?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8917348].message }}

Trending Topics