Register Blogs Advertise with usHelp Desk Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 09:34 AM   #601
SemiLiterate Marketer
War Room Member
 
Floyd Bogart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: , , USA.
Posts: 552
Thanks: 11
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Just as Google is only going to show so many Squidoo Lenses on their first page (or any other specific type of page for that matter) they will only show a couple GoArticles articles in the top page of results. This just means that if you are competing with existing GoArticles articles you need to check out how many backlinks they have and blow them out of the water!! Lol

Just a matter of time is all...

Floyd Bogart is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 10:39 AM   #602
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

1. Keywords in the URL has little or no ranking power. This has been proven many times. It only helps the ClickThrough in the SERPs

2. Backlinks SHOULD POINT to the actual URL of the goarticles or whatever link is INDEXED. If you put to any other link then you will not get any juice. Some of the links we see are INTERNAL links, and they are not the same links that are INDEXED.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 10:41 AM   #603
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

btw i googled

Panic Attack Heart Symptoms

and there's an goarticle with the same title on the front page

trying to get 2 articles with similar titles ranking on the front page of Google FROM THE SAME SITE is VERY HARD
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 10:44 AM   #604
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Well said Floyd! Competition, competition, competition...
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 10:49 AM   #605
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

btw i googled

Panic Attack Heart Symptoms

and there's an goarticle with the same title on the front page

trying to get 2 articles with similar titles ranking on the front page of Google FROM THE SAME SITE is VERY HARD

Well I think it is like Floyd said: find out the amount and quality of the backlinks of your competition and try to outranked... Don't you think?

DJBory
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 10:56 AM   #606
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

a lot of people dont believe in duplicate content, but its there

there's no penalty but Google does filter it out

for example
Press Releases are usually the same article being distributed to over 100 sources.
The first week you'll see most of them on the top pages...but within 3-4 weeks most of them will be gone.
This is the duplicate content filter
The rest of the articles will be gone into the supplemental index, and their backlinks are worth ZERO


yes you can add a lot of links...but if it's the same article coming from the same website, then it's going to need a lot more links

Originally Posted by djbory View Post

Well I think it is like Floyd said: find out the amount and quality of the backlinks of your competition and try to outranked... Don't you think?

DJBory
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 11:12 AM   #607
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

a lot of people dont believe in duplicate content, but its there

there's no penalty but Google does filter it out

for example
Press Releases are usually the same article being distributed to over 100 sources.
The first week you'll see most of them on the top pages...but within 3-4 weeks most of them will be gone.
This is the duplicate content filter
The rest of the articles will be gone into the supplemental index, and their backlinks are worth ZERO




yes you can add a lot of links...but if it's the same article coming from the same website, then it's going to need a lot more links
There'll always be competition, but point taken!
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 11:31 AM   #608
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 162
Thanks: 57
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

1. Keywords in the URL has little or no ranking power. This has been proven many times. It only helps the ClickThrough in the SERPs
Keyword in the URL is important, same as title tag and description. The more times a keyword appears in these spots the more relevant the page.

Gabby12 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 11:34 AM   #609
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

it's important for click through not rankings

title tags is very important for rankings
keywords in URL or description has LITTLE OR NOR BEARING on rankings.

google it and you'll see hundreds of articles agreeing with this

Originally Posted by Gabby12 View Post

Keyword in the URL is important, same as title tag and description. The more times a keyword appears in these spots the more relevant the page.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:20 PM   #610
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

[quote=banker0679;937763]1. Keywords in the URL has little or no ranking power. This has been proven many times. It only helps the ClickThrough in the SERPs

"has been proven many times" ?? BY who? By you?
Were not talking about the uri here skippy. The url, and you can bet your ass if the url IS the keyword...no more, no less, then It does carry boatloads of weight. I know, not becauseI read it somewhere, but because I have looked at thousands of keywords, and the top ten sites for those keywords. I look at all kinds of criteria, and everytime I'm looking at the links, domain age, PR, anchor text, etc., and Whenever I get to that one where I go W.T.F....this doesn't belong here? Invariably, when I look over at the url...it has the keyword as the url. Go look at a few thousand keywords, and come back and tell me you didn't notice that. I'm not saying it is highly prevalent, Im just saying I have seen many sites that would never be on the 1st page, were it not for the keyword as their actual url.
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:28 PM   #611
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

if you say so.

i already wrote to google it....and it's just my opinion

it has little or NO BEARING AT ALL

meta tags have little or no affect on rankings

title tags are NOT meta tags, and there's a difference btwn title tag, and the meta title tag.

like i wrote earlier...
GOOGLE IT
you will see most articles indicating that TITLE TAG IS IMPORTANT
and the description Meta Tag is for click through NOT rankings

you can remove, add, change your description tag, and you will not see your rankings change.

there's also a difference from KEYWORD IN THE DOMAIN NAME and KEYWORD IN URL

mortgagerates.com <<<<great for rankings

oiuwereou.com/mortgage-rates/ <<<<has no bearing in Search Rankings

I use keywords in my URL...and I even use the description tags
I changed my whole website to use both, and didn't see any huge increase in rankings...only better click throughs.
If it has any bearing..it's very small that you may not see any change

[quote=Doug D;938047]
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

1. Keywords in the URL has little or no ranking power. This has been proven many times. It only helps the ClickThrough in the SERPs

"has been proven many times" ?? BY who? By you?
Were not talking about the uri here skippy. The url, and you can bet your ass if the url IS the keyword...no more, no less, then It does carry boatloads of weight. I know, not becauseI read it somewhere, but because I have looked at thousands of keywords, and the top ten sites for those keywords. I look at all kinds of criteria, and everytime I'm looking at the links, domain age, PR, anchor text, etc., and Whenever I get to that one where I go W.T.F....this doesn't belong here? Invariably, when I look over at the url...it has the keyword as the url. Go look at a few thousand keywords, and come back and tell me you didn't notice that. I'm not saying it is highly prevalent, Im just saying I have seen many sites that would never be on the 1st page, were it not for the keyword as their actual url.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:35 PM   #612
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Mortagerates.com = URL or domain
.com/mortage rates = URI
The original question/example...used a keyword as the URL/domain name, whatever you want to call it. I would never tell anybody that putting a keyword in the URI...would gain them much of anything (although,still considered a best practice)
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:35 PM   #613
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

here are some quotes from different links


"You may have heard many SEOs disparage meta tags in general — expressing that they have little value in improving search engine rankings. And while that may be the case..."
http://blog.search-mojo.com/2009/02/...scription-tag/

"since search engines frequently use it as the description for your page's listing, thus increasing the chance that your webpage listing will be clicked on."
Great Title and Description Tags Will Make Your Rankings Soar

"Search engines give little weight to Meta Description Tags as far as determining your placement in the search engine results page (SERP)."
Meta Tags Effect on Search Placement

"The fact is that the meta tags have no more effect on your ranking than regular text."
HTML Meta Tags



should I go on?
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:39 PM   #614
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

if you dont believe those links then hear it from Google

"While the use of a description meta tag is optional and will have no effect on your rankings,..."
Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Answering more popular picks: meta tags and web search
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:43 PM   #615
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

best practice is a long way from being 'BOATLOAD OF WEIGHT' as you indicated in your earlier post.

boatload of weight are links, and you can't tell me that keywords in URL has almost AS NEAR as backlinks or other HUGE FACTORS

Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

Mortagerates.com = URL or domain
.com/mortage rates = URI
The original question/example...used a keyword as the URL/domain name, whatever you want to call it. I would never tell anybody that putting a keyword in the URI...would gain them much of anything (although,still considered a best practice)
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:43 PM   #616
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Dude, I don't know where your going with all the meta tag stuff. The original question asked was about Having THE keyword as The exact URL/domain. That was the only thing I was talking about. Not any meta tags. I was only dismissing your notion that mortagerates.com-- would not have any significant effect on your rankings for mortage rates. It would have quite a significant effect. Actually that is a huge market, but in niche markets...I have seen the keyword as the domain....trump sites with 100's of links, and the site that had the keyword as the domain...had very few links--in some cases, and would otherwise not have been there. Thats all I'm saying, it does carry significant weight.
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:47 PM   #617
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

there's a huge difference btwn

mortgagerates.com
and
example.com/mortgage-rates

but you said significant weight......

let's see if Matt Cutts say it's 'significant' or does he say 'help a little bit'

huge difference in words you're using.

exact match domain is very different than having keywords in the URL


Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

Dude, I don't know where your going with all the meta tag stuff. The original question asked was about Having THE keyword as The exact URL/domain. That was the only thing I was talking about. Not any meta tags. I was only dismissing your notion that mortagerates.com-- would not have any significant effect on your rankings for mortage rates. It would have quite a significant effect. Actually that is a huge market, but in niche markets...I have seen the keyword as the domain....trump sites with 100's of links, and the site that had the keyword as the domain...had very few links--in some cases, and would otherwise not have been there. Thats all I'm saying, it does carry significant weight.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 12:52 PM   #618
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

i didnt see the broken up text you did but i was ALSO responding to Gabby who indicated that they are JUST AS important as the description tag

i overread your the i in your uri

if you read my earlier posts then you would see i was already agreeing with what you wrote

exact match domain
mortgagerates.com plays a huge factor

keywords included for subpages
example.com/mortgage-rates has little factor for ranking

Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

Dude, I don't know where your going with all the meta tag stuff. The original question asked was about Having THE keyword as The exact URL/domain. That was the only thing I was talking about. Not any meta tags. I was only dismissing your notion that mortagerates.com-- would not have any significant effect on your rankings for mortage rates. It would have quite a significant effect. Actually that is a huge market, but in niche markets...I have seen the keyword as the domain....trump sites with 100's of links, and the site that had the keyword as the domain...had very few links--in some cases, and would otherwise not have been there. Thats all I'm saying, it does carry significant weight.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:14 PM   #619
Noob
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 45
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

i didnt see the broken up text you did but i was ALSO responding to Gabby who indicated that they are JUST AS important as the description tag

i overread your the i in your uri

if you read my earlier posts then you would see i was already agreeing with what you wrote

exact match domain
mortgagerates.com plays a huge factor

keywords included for subpages
example.com/mortgage-rates has little factor for ranking
OK, I have to call BS on this one.

First - I watched the video and it seems to me you are taking his words out of context. He was talking more about the order and number of keywords in the url (or uri or whatever). The fact that he himself puts some keywords in the URLs of his own blog should tell you something.

Second, I may be new to the WF and off page SEO & stuff, but I have been doing ecommerce for years. As most of you probably know, out of the box shopping carts tend to have long garbled URLs for specific product pages. Our interior page hits (and rankings for long tail KWs related to the products) went waaay up when my webmaster installed code to rewrite the URL to include keywords for the products I sell. It may not be as big a factor as the keyword as domain but experience and sales figures tell me that having keywords after the / in the uri does matter and impacts rankings significantly.

axleman is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:15 PM   #620
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Dude, I've seen all of the vids that Matt has done, including that one. Your just not getting it. In that vid, Matt is referring to .com/keyword, keyword, etc. That is not the same thing as keyword.com But I'm sure you have looked at more data than I. So, I'll just let it go, and say that you are right...having the exact keyword as your domain name...will give one little advantage.k.
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:17 PM   #621
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

are you serious?

do you want me to start posting more links or did you disregard the prior post?

go watch the video AGAIN
he was addressing the WHOLE POINT about having the keywords in the URL PERIOD not just the order.

his point was the keywords in the URL is a small factor so you shouldn't be worrying about it too much...much less the order of it

Originally Posted by axleman View Post

OK, I have to call BS on this one.

First - I watched the video and it seems to me you are taking his words out of context. He was talking more about the order and number of keywords in the url (or uri or whatever). The fact that he himself puts some keywords in the URLs of his own blog should tell you something.

Second, I may be new to the WF and off page SEO & stuff, but I have been doing ecommerce for years. As most of you probably know, out of the box shopping carts tend to have long garbled URLs for specific product pages. Our interior page hits (and rankings for long tail KWs related to the products) went waaay up when my webmaster installed code to rewrite the URL to include keywords for the products I sell. It may not be as big a factor as the keyword as domain but experience and sales figures tell me that having keywords after the / in the uri does matter and impacts rankings significantly.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:18 PM   #622
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

have you been following this thread or not?

i have already written that exact match domains MATTER but that it is NOT THE SAME as having keywords in the URL for subpages

every SEO i know use the words
exact match domain or keywords in the DOMAIN when speaking of

mortgagerates.com

whenever someone says keywords in the URL
they are speaking about the subpages
example.com/keyword1-keyword2




Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

Dude, I've seen all of the vids that Matt has done, including that one. Your just not getting it. In that vid, Matt is referring to .com/keyword, keyword, etc. That is not the same thing as keyword.com But I'm sure you have looked at more data than I. So, I'll just let it go, and say that you are right...having the exact keyword as your domain name...will give one little advantage.k.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:26 PM   #623
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

ORIGINAL QUESTION-SEE EXAMPLE:

So Much for BACKLINK BUILDING and CONTENT… I just discovered something very disturbing at Google…

Angela’s and Paul’s BackLinks are good, no doubt about it... I have benefit from them... But I have been doing some SEO analysis on Google for the last few days now…I’ll just bring one of my discoveries to see is someone has some explanation:

I’ve been checking on a site I just found in Google 1rst page for a highly competitive

keyword: internet income

Site address: internetincome.com


The site has 2 backlinks, no bookmarks, no content whatsoever, NOTHING-NADA just a ridiculous page sitting there in Google first page…

I'm not an IM expert, but I only see that the domain is about 8 years old…That shouldn’t be enough…

Any good explanation?


DJBory
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:28 PM   #624
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

and here was MY REPLY to it....i wrote
EXACT MATCH DOMAIN which is very different from when ppl say 'keywords in the URL'

I wouldn't say that was one of the big factors then later say it's not worth anything.....
that doesnt make sense



if you were following you would see i was responding to GABBY not to that question

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

a few reasons why it ranks

1. Exact Match Domain
2. Domain age is 11yrs old
3. Site was first indexed 8yrs ago
4. Title Tag contains the keyword

3 MOST important things to Google...in the order of priority

1. Age of backlinks (older the better)
2. Age of when it was first indexed (older the better)
3. Age of domain (older the better)
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 01:47 PM   #625
Trust Christ Alone
War Room Member
 
Steven Carl Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,993
Thanks: 63
Thanked 799 Times in 386 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

I can tell you that having the keyword in the url (not the uri), gives you an incredible advantage.
Please explain what you mean by this. A URL actually is a URI.

Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
Steven Carl Kelly is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 02:01 PM   #626
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Steven, I'm not a coder, and I don't proclaim to be tech savvy. In fact, I'm a total "tech" neophyte. That being said, I have seen where the extension of a url (whatever), .com/blah, blah, blah < was referred to as the uri. I don't want to get into semantics, especially in an area that I am not proficient. I was only trying to differentiate-- keyword.com from .com/keyword ) Its as simple as that, whatever the proper terminology is?
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 02:14 PM   #627
Trust Christ Alone
War Room Member
 
Steven Carl Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,993
Thanks: 63
Thanked 799 Times in 386 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Doug D View Post

Steven, I'm not a coder, and I don't proclaim to be tech savvy. In fact, I'm a total "tech" neophyte. That being said, I have seen where the extension of a url (whatever), .com/blah, blah, blah < was referred to as the uri. I don't want to get into semantics, especially in an area that I am not proficient. I was only trying to differentiate-- keyword.com from .com/keyword ) Its as simple as that, whatever the proper terminology is?
No problem with not being a "techy", some people are and some aren't. But I think I see what you're after. For explanation, there are URI's, URL's, and URN's (Uniform Resource Identifiers, Uniform Resource Locators, and Uniform Resource Names). Just for clarification of terminology:

A URL is, in fact, a URI. But to break it down so it can be more easily understood (because it can be quite confusing), let's look at the URL for this thread:
Code:
http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-ppc-seo-discussion-forum/90572-angela-experiment.html
That URL is a URI which consists of three parts:

Code:
The scheme: http
The domain: www.warriorforum.com
The path: /adsense-ppc-seo-discussion-forum/90572-angela-experiment.html
Therefore, what you're explaining is that the keywords being part of the domain are more valuable to ranking than the keywords being only in the path of the resource. So if you were trying to rank for "beer goggles" you would advise that:

Code:
http://www.beergoogles.com
is going to outrank

Code:
http://www.eyewear.com/beergoggles.html
by the sheer weight of the domain. Did I express that correctly?

Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
Steven Carl Kelly is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 02:34 PM   #628
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 182
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

EXACTLY! Steven.
Doug D is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 03:51 PM   #629
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

why in the world were you disagreeing with me and telling me i read more data than you...and of course you called me 'skippy' lol


i wrote that

1. exact match domains matter and/or having keywords in the DOMAIN name.

2. keywords in the subfolders/subpages or URL has LITTLE weight on the rankings

and for the person who is calling BaloneySandwich....you should really watch the video again or ask someone to watch it for you to understand what Matt Cutts said about keywords in the URL has 'little weight' then he said don't be 'obsessive about the order of keywords'
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:24 PM   #630
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Let me interfere here for just a second since I posted the question in the first place; I think you both may be right at some point, but I think Dough was taken out of context.

His opinion is that the reason that site may be there, in first page of Google was mostly because the domain (URL) was the keyword itself and it carries a lot of weigh in Google’s eyes…. I think he has a point there.

On the other hand, banker, I think you’re right when you say that the tags in the description and in the URI have little or not effect in Google’s ranking…

But as you said; it may help the CTR, so it may be a good practice to try to accommodate our tags in the description and in the URI when possible…

Just my humble opinion…

DJBory
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:31 PM   #631
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

i agree with keywords in the domain but that's a huge difference from keywords in the URL

Example 1
keyword1keyword2.com is different than

Example 2
domain.com/keyword1-keyword2

i'm not disputing exact match domains or keywords in the DOMAIN

in this thread i have stated that keywords in the DOMAIN matter a lot


i'm not sure why everyone is having a hard time understanding what i wrote

Mortgagerates.com matters if you're trying to rank for Mortgage Rates
this is called keywords in the DOMAIN or Exact match domain

Keywords in the URL is known as
johnnyloanshop.com/mortgage-rates the domain here is johnnyloanshop.com and the keywords in the URL is /mortgage-rates

If johnny is trying to rank for mortgage-rates.....just because he puts it in the URL doesnt mean it will rank him higher. If Johnny had 'mortgage rates' in his domain name then it would matter.

johnnymortgagerates.com is better than
johnnyloanshop.com or johnnyloanshop.com/mortgage-rates



Originally Posted by djbory View Post

Let me interfere here for just a second since I posted the question in the first place; I think you both may be right at some point, but I think Dough was taken out of context.

His opinion is that the reason that site may be there, in first page of Google was mostly because the domain (URL) was the keyword itself and it carries a lot of weigh in Google’s eyes…. I think he has a point there.

On the other hand, banker, I think you’re right when you say that the tags in the description and in the URI have little or not effect in Google’s ranking…

But as you said; it may help the CTR, so it may be a good practice to try to accommodate our tags in the description and in the URI when possible…

Just my humble opinion…

DJBory
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:36 PM   #632
HyperActive Warrior
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 402
Thanks: 25
Thanked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Why is everyone so focused on putting up articles on article sites, getting them to rank well, and then driving the traffic to an affiliate offer?

Wouldn't it make better sense to build your own site around the targeted keyword and work on promoting that?

I put up articles myself, but it's really just to get backlinks to my sites...which is what I truely want to show up #1 when someone searches for my keyword phrase.

You have more control when they are on YOUR site.
The Expert is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:38 PM   #633
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

there are pros/cons to the argument but a successful website should dominate the first page of google with more than 1 link

that 1 link is normally your website

if you wrote 10 articles and continued to build backlinks to the 10 articles then you should have 10 listings on the front page (if you do it correctly)

so no matter what article/link they click on...they will be coming to your links

either way your best articles should always be advertised on your own domain

Originally Posted by The Expert View Post

Why is everyone so focused on putting up articles on article sites, getting them to rank well, and then driving the traffic to an affiliate offer?

Wouldn't it make better sense to build your own site around the targeted keyword and work on promoting that?

I put up articles myself, but it's really just to get backlinks to my sites...which is what I truely want to show up #1 when someone searches for my keyword phrase.

You have more control when they are on YOUR site.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:42 PM   #634
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2008
Posts: 100
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I'd say that having keywords in the domain or a key phrase in the domain helps tremendously.

I have a few websites on a pappy .org.uk extension that are just the keyphrase & they are no.1 in google or very high up with no backlinks - so it does have a huge effect.

I also think that having domain.com/a-keyword-phrase also helps, particularly with product names/types, especially where the allintitle/url/etc is relatively low.

It's how I structure my sites. I have an internal link with anchor text of "a product name" linking to the url domain.com/a-product-name

It works for me.
daveshu is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:43 PM   #635
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

i agree with keywords in the domain but that's a huge difference from keywords in the URL

Example 1
keyword1keyword2.com is different than

Example 2
domain.com/keyword1-keyword2

i'm not disputing exact match domains or keywords in the DOMAIN

in this thread i have stated that keywords in the DOMAIN matter a lot


i'm not sure why everyone is having a hard time understanding what i wrote

Mortgagerates.com matters if you're trying to rank for Mortgage Rates
this is called keywords in the DOMAIN or Exact match domain

Keywords in the URL is known as
johnnyloanshop.com/mortgage-rates the domain here is johnnyloanshop.com and the keywords in the URL is /mortgage-rates

If johnny is trying to rank for mortgage-rates.....just because he puts it in the URL doesnt mean it will rank him higher. If Johnny had 'mortgage rates' in his domain name then it would matter.

johnnymortgagerates.com is better than
johnnyloanshop.com or johnnyloanshop.com/mortgage-rates
That's exactly what I was trying to say and you're right, however, I must insist, let's fit our keywords wherever and as many times as we could
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 06:55 PM   #636
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by The Expert View Post

Why is everyone so focused on putting up articles on article sites, getting them to rank well, and then driving the traffic to an affiliate offer?

Wouldn't it make better sense to build your own site around the targeted keyword and work on promoting that?

I put up articles myself, but it's really just to get backlinks to my sites...which is what I truely want to show up #1 when someone searches for my keyword phrase.

You have more control when they are on YOUR site.
I think the idea here is to rank to the number one Google position a lot faster with a Go Article because Go Article is very favored by Google so you can get to the first page faster than if you try to get there with a brand new website.... And since Go Article acept Clickbank links you cut the midle man here which is your site in this case...

Because of that, it will convert better...

This is like a quick cash formula... It does not have a long time value in it...

DJBory
djbory is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 09:10 PM   #637
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Whitby, Canada
Posts: 84
Thanks: 32
Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

What do you guys do in order to get the profile pages indexed?

Please read the forum rules.
nobluff is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 09:14 PM   #638
GegeTech Consultants
War Room Member
 
FredJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 2,818
Thanks: 272
Thanked 620 Times in 334 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by nobluff View Post

What do you guys do in order to get the profile pages indexed?
Nothing, if you eman the ones that Angela gives. These ones are good enough and get indexed by their own merits.

$1 gold: WSO That Instantly Transforms You Into A Content Production Engine

$2.95 GoDaddy .com domains today: Click here.
I am offering a free website - get it now (and they offer you a free domain with this).
Find high-commission easy Amazon niches within 5 seconds here.
FredJones is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FredJones For This Useful Post:
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 09:20 PM   #639
Backlink Energizer
War Room Member
 
4morereferrals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,414
Thanks: 413
Thanked 432 Times in 289 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by djbory View Post

I think the idea here is to rank to the number one Google position a lot faster with a Go Article because Go Article is very favored by Google so you can get to the first page faster than if you try to get there with a brand new website.... And since Go Article acept Clickbank links you cut the midle man here which is your site in this case...

Because of that, it will convert better...

This is like a quick cash formula... It does not have a long time value in it...

DJBory

Not sure Im buying into this argument. My experience with this experiment tells me otherwise. I dont think GoArticles is all that "favored" I think article writers favor it or used to - cuz they could load it up with links. Now Go Articles does that for you - but with their affiliate links.

The OP put out a couple of goarticles and linked to them for a bit with angelas links. Currently there is just a single GoArticle on page one for the test term ... Panic Attack Heart Symptoms. at #9

However; 4 of the sites I posted an article to as a blog posts were indexed and 3 were on googles pages 2 and 3, and another ranked on Page 1 at #4 - in 5 hrs. None of the sites these were on have a higher PR than 4, and the pages were all PR0. One of the 4 blog posts I reference in the above sentence is at #8 currently on page one - above the goArticles article. The blog posts I mentioned were used as backlinks to the test blog i created for this little test - they outrank that by a long shot. None of them have ANY backlinks ... Kinda Funny. My backlink sites rank better than the landing page ...


I'd say that having keywords in the domain or a key phrase in the domain helps tremendously.
Doesnt seem to be helping me a whole lot - hte blog I setup is ...

hxxp://panicattackheartsymptoms.com

hxxp://panicattackheartsymptoms.com/panic-attacks/panic-attack-heart-symptoms



I think its on page 4?

Rank Ascend Network - High PR Links / Guaranteed Rankings Increase
4morereferrals is offline  
Unread 2nd Jul 2009, 09:34 PM   #640
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I was just trying to explain a question somebody asked the best way a could, but I don't use that strategy eaither, I point my articles to my websites...
djbory is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 06:05 AM   #641
Warrior Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Angela V. Edwards View Post

You are exactly right. However, Jeremy is simply guessing that people who look for the terms that Belgirl is using wouldn't buy. Remember that the product in Clickbank that corresponds to these keywords makes more than $43 PER SALE. If only ONE PERCENT of the people who are plugging those particular keywords into Google buy the product, you'd make more than the median annual household income of the United States. We're talking 3 people a day buying the product out of over 300 "lookie lous".

No one can say that EVERYONE who looks for THOSE particular keywords is only a "window shopper" and not a sufferer who would buy. The reason the advertisers aren't targeting THOSE keywords probably is because a smaller percentage of them are probably buyers (that doesn't mean that NONE of them are) and advertising costs THOUSANDS of dollars. The ROI at that point wouldn't be worth it. That doesn't mean those keywords wouldn't make a decent income for a marketer who is not sinking BIG BUCKS into Google for advertising.
Sorry but you're making far too many assumptions and inaccurate calculations here.

Firstly, you'd have to be #1 on ALL search engines to get a decent amount of traffic for that keyphrase, assuming the phrase does get 313 searches daily which is a big assumption. Wordtracker's keyword data is not at all accurate.

Assuming you managed to get to #1 on all engines you wouldn't get all of those 313 searches, you'd get a percentage of those searches.

Finally, it's very unlikely the phrase converts, if it was did there would be a load of advertisers using PPC promoting a panic attack product.
seguys is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 06:18 AM   #642
Warrior Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

and one more thing...

Wouldn't it have been better to have picked a better keyword phrase for this experiment. One that is known to convert?

It's easy enough to see if the keyword phrase converts by running some PPC ads for a while.

Before going to the trouble of getting an article ranked I would strongly recommend testing with PPC firstto see if your keyword phrase converts or not.

If it does then proceed with writing your article/building backlinks, it if doesn't you've just saved yourself a bunch of time.
seguys is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 07:52 AM   #643
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

blog posts always get fresh push...and if they were submitted to RSS Feed directories then they will stay a bit longer or for a long time if the niche is not competitive

Originally Posted by 4morereferrals View Post

Not sure Im buying into this argument. My experience with this experiment tells me otherwise. I dont think GoArticles is all that "favored" I think article writers favor it or used to - cuz they could load it up with links. Now Go Articles does that for you - but with their affiliate links.

The OP put out a couple of goarticles and linked to them for a bit with angelas links. Currently there is just a single GoArticle on page one for the test term ... Panic Attack Heart Symptoms. at #9

However; 4 of the sites I posted an article to as a blog posts were indexed and 3 were on googles pages 2 and 3, and another ranked on Page 1 at #4 - in 5 hrs. None of the sites these were on have a higher PR than 4, and the pages were all PR0. One of the 4 blog posts I reference in the above sentence is at #8 currently on page one - above the goArticles article. The blog posts I mentioned were used as backlinks to the test blog i created for this little test - they outrank that by a long shot. None of them have ANY backlinks ... Kinda Funny. My backlink sites rank better than the landing page ...




Doesnt seem to be helping me a whole lot - hte blog I setup is ...

hxxp://panicattackheartsymptoms.com

hxxp://panicattackheartsymptoms.com/panic-attacks/panic-attack-heart-symptoms



I think its on page 4?
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 07:54 AM   #644
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

which is harder....

1. ranking for a keyword everyone is trying to rank for?

or

2. ranking for keywords that convert?


#1 is much harder because not everyone knows the keywords that convert

Originally Posted by seguys View Post

and one more thing...

Wouldn't it have been better to have picked a better keyword phrase for this experiment. One that is known to convert?

It's easy enough to see if the keyword phrase converts by running some PPC ads for a while.

Before going to the trouble of getting an article ranked I would strongly recommend testing with PPC firstto see if your keyword phrase converts or not.

If it does then proceed with writing your article/building backlinks, it if doesn't you've just saved yourself a bunch of time.
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 08:45 AM   #645
Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Having the url optimized for the keyword has been huge for me.. I have a site on wordpress that does nothing else but have the keyword I want to rank for in the url, title..etc. There are a few paragraphs of content that basically just tells the visitor about some specials and to go to my main site of a completely different url. It is #3 out of 244k right now in google. The only thing ahead of me is the company of the product I am selling.
I did this because I could not get the keyword to rank well on my main site so I put up a VERY basic page utilizing the keyword in the url. I barely even did anything to the basic default template wordpress offers. I do not even think I have a sitemap. I have done zero backlinking. I will probably do more eventually when I have time to take advantage of the real estate.
Do a search in Google for IKA stirrer and you will see ikastirrer.com right there on page one.
Just my2 cents
Rich
richnash33 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 08:52 AM   #646
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

not sure if anyone is going to disagree with that but you have KEYWORDS in the domain or Exactmatch domain

the reason you are ranking is

1. Exact match domain
2. You have the keyword in the title tag

you will notice 1 thing about most top 10 rankings.
either 9out of 10 or 10out of 10 rankings will have the keywords in the Title tag.

You will hardly ever see something in the top 10 for a competitive niche that doesnt have the keyword in the title tag.



Originally Posted by richnash33 View Post

Having the url optimized for the keyword has been huge for me.. I have a site on wordpress that does nothing else but have the keyword I want to rank for in the url, title..etc. There are a few paragraphs of content that basically just tells the visitor about some specials and to go to my main site of a completely different url. It is #3 out of 244k right now in google. The only thing ahead of me is the company of the product I am selling.
I did this because I could not get the keyword to rank well on my main site so I put up a VERY basic page utilizing the keyword in the url. I barely even did anything to the basic default template wordpress offers. I do not even think I have a sitemap. I have done zero backlinking
Do a search in Google for IKA stirrer and you will see ikastirrer.com right there on page one.
Just my2 cents
Rich
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 09:02 AM   #647
Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post

not sure if anyone is going to disagree with that but you have KEYWORDS in the domain or Exactmatch domain

the reason you are ranking is

1. Exact match domain
2. You have the keyword in the title tag

you will notice 1 thing about most top 10 rankings.
either 9out of 10 or 10out of 10 rankings will have the keywords in the Title tag.

You will hardly ever see something in the top 10 for a competitive niche that doesnt have the keyword in the title tag.
Sorry my bad, yes I have them in the domain and not just the url..Probably should of read the whole to find out the disagreement. I will go back to sleep now
richnash33 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 09:22 AM   #648
Belinda
War Room Member
 
belgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 350
Thanks: 20
Thanked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by djbory View Post

Originally Posted by belgirl
Couldn't agree with you more. And since I was the original poster, I will give an update:

As of today, I am still bouncing from Page 4 to Page 5 in the results. I have only used the search term "Panic Attack Heart Symptoms" (no quotes) with one article at GoArticles and now about 60 backlinks pointing to the affiliate link that is listed in the article. It seems to be taking people 2 weeks or more to see any real movement. I am giving it another week!

Well belgirl, let me see if I'm getting this clear: you have the backlinks pointing to the affiliate link? From what I understad that will not help your article at all...

If you are helping someone is the website where the product is being sold...

Your backlinks should be pointing to your article, not to the affiliate link... Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

DJBory
You missed my update posts--it was changed to the GoArticles page some time ago...
belgirl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to belgirl For This Useful Post:
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 09:26 AM   #649
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Charlotte, USA
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

good job finding that domain...i'm sure the #1 listing is upset lol

Originally Posted by richnash33 View Post

Sorry my bad, yes I have them in the domain and not just the url..Probably should of read the whole to find out the disagreement. I will go back to sleep now
banker0679 is offline  
Unread 3rd Jul 2009, 12:42 PM   #650
SEO Expert
War Room Member
 
djbory's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 501
Thanks: 108
Thanked 139 Times in 73 Posts
Default
Re: The Angela Experiment
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by belgirl View Post

You missed my update posts--it was changed to the GoArticles page some time ago...
Oh, ok...I found your update, thanks....

belgirl, I checked Google and I couldn't find your article... That's not very good news, I suppose...

DJBory
djbory is offline  
Closed Thread


Bookmarks

Tags
angela, experiment


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.