This makes a lot of sense that searchers will skip above the fold ads and websites and go straight to the listings with addresses, directions, and a map.
What I need help with is finding out how to rank Google Places listings. Here are the current optimization strategies I do but haven't seen good results yet.
1. Having local citations on yelp, yellowpages, city search, merchant circle that match with the Google places address, phone, website etc. help.
2. Using as many categories relevant to your services as possible
3. Having an active Google + account that manages the Google Places listing
4. Getting real reviews on the listing
5. Including the city and keywords in the description
Here is what I am guessing might help rankings
1. Building backlinks to the Google Places listing
2. Getting more followers on Google +
3. Sharing the Google Places listing on social media networks especially Youtube and interlinking all of them.
4. Have a Press Release sent out with your Google Business page linked
Has anyone successfully ranked Google business listings? If so, what strategy did you use?