Which is better ? Hiring a SEO agency to rank my affiliate site or do SEO by myself?

30 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi There,
I've had a some success in making a niche site from scratch. I learnt keyword research and some on page SEO through Spencer haws and found some success in ranking my site at #1 spot in google in about 6 months.

I've hired a low cost SEO agency who kept building links randomly from all free directories and my ranking was around 40s. Then I paid another SEO agency some good amount and they did some quality work and ranked my site to #1 spot.

Money kept rolling and I made good profits through my affiliate niche and then one fine day some penalty struck and lost my rankings and earnings.

So now should I plan to use PBN to rank my new site myself or should I again try to rank my new affiliate site through just like before?

I need all your advice.

Thanks,
Murthy
#affiliate #agency #hiring #rank #seo #site
  • Profile picture of the author Slazengeer
    Leave the SEO to experts and concentrate on building more niche sites. You shouldn't depend on single site for passive income, as the proverb goes 'don't put all eggs in one basket."
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9214077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murthee
      That's right ! That was my first site actually and even before I could launch my second one it got penalized.

      I have another question as well !

      Will I not expose my niche to the SEO agency in case I try to build the site through them ?

      Thanks,
      Murthy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9214087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jkd000
    You're going to have to learn SEO yourself if you ever want to get paid with niche sites.

    Affiliate sites in general are a gamble and not really worth the time unless you can scale to have dozens/hundreds of them.

    So, i'd say dig in, learn how to get good at this stuff. Then when you finish the site move on to the next one, as you'll probably be able to get it done 4-5x as fast.

    Rinse and repeat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9214555].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murthee
      Originally Posted by jkd000 View Post

      You're going to have to learn SEO yourself if you ever want to get paid with niche sites.

      Affiliate sites in general are a gamble and not really worth the time unless you can scale to have dozens/hundreds of them.

      So, i'd say dig in, learn how to get good at this stuff. Then when you finish the site move on to the next one, as you'll probably be able to get it done 4-5x as fast.

      Rinse and repeat.
      Can you suggest any other alternatives to earn online using websites and search traffic ?

      Thanks,
      Murthy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristinaRoy
    Murthy, these days SEO has become a skilled based task and SEO experts or professionals can better perform it to get desirable results in less time. You should hire SEO agency to rank new website. They can better do this task.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZFuhrer
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murthee
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215748].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KingRoyal
        Originally Posted by murthee View Post

        What would be an ideal budget for hiring a good SEO who deliver results within 60 to 90 days ?

        Thanks,
        Murthy
        Remember, anyone promising you great rankings should be ignored. SEO is a technique game, not a game that guarentees results
        J
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215767].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author murthee
          Originally Posted by Pink Tulips008 View Post

          Remember, anyone promising you great rankings should be ignored. SEO is a technique game, not a game that guarentees results
          J
          So what are the factors I should consider when hiring a good SEO who can fetch me good results ?

          Thanks,
          Murthy
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9215775].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author customapp
            Since you are fairly new to building niche sites, i would recommend building the backlinks in a gradual fashion. Since you have also mentioned about one of your site being penalized by google, you need to focus on 'Quality backlinks'.
            Don't buy cheap backlinks from fiverr or similar sites, they are useless. Focus on high PR backlinks gained through article submission and sponsored blog posts on authority sites.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9216240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SouruBlogger
    Without any doubt , I'll say ' DO IT YOURSELF ' . Now, you'll be probably think 'Why'.
    Rounding up everything , it's a thumbs ah ? Absolutely No because :

    1. Like Pink Tulips008 said, SEO is a technique game, not a game that guarantees results
    You have no guarantee that you'll get sure results. Still, there are some SEO experts who has the power to give guaranteed success but the cost of their services would be comparatively high.

    2. When you HIRE a SEO Expert you get your things done without sparing any of your valuable time but you never learn anything new. Yes, the best technique in achieving success in marketing sphere is experience and skills. When you try to do something yourself , you learn something new. You learn , You Grow !

    What do you think ?

    Cheers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9216477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murthee
      Originally Posted by SouruBlogger View Post

      Without any doubt , I'll say ' DO IT YOURSELF ' . Now, you'll be probably think 'Why'.
      Rounding up everything , it's a thumbs ah ? Absolutely No because :

      1. Like Pink Tulips008 said, SEO is a technique game, not a game that guarantees results
      You have no guarantee that you'll get sure results. Still, there are some SEO experts who has the power to give guaranteed success but the cost of their services would be comparatively high.

      2. When you HIRE a SEO Expert you get your things done without sparing any of your valuable time but you never learn anything new. Yes, the best technique in achieving success in marketing sphere is experience and skills. When you try to do something yourself , you learn something new. You learn , You Grow !

      What do you think ?

      Cheers
      Thats what I was thinking too. I totally agree with you and only thing I was quite skeptical is about the algorithm updates and I should not trip it while pending.

      Thanks,
      Murthy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9228653].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author timpears
      Originally Posted by KristinaRoy View Post

      Murthy, these days SEO has become a skilled based task and SEO experts or professionals can better perform it to get desirable results in less time. You should hire SEO agency to rank new website. They can better do this task.
      You are right, I rumble with many that can rank most anything at will.

      Originally Posted by SouruBlogger View Post

      1. Like Pink Tulips008 said, SEO is a technique game, not a game that guarantees results
      You have no guarantee that you'll get sure results. Still, there are some SEO experts who has the power to give guaranteed success but the cost of their services would be comparatively high.
      Anyone who knows what they are doing can guarantee their results. I would not dream of keeping anyone's money if I had not helped them. It has been boiled down to almost a science. Some variability, but if you follow the steps, you are almost guaranteed to end up on first [age.

      As far as price being too high, you can get a competent expert for a very reasonable amount, who should be able to guarantee you a profitable campaign.

      IMHO
      Signature

      Tim Pears

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9238620].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kid3378
        Originally Posted by timpears View Post

        Anyone who knows what they are doing can guarantee their results. I would not dream of keeping anyone's money if I had not helped them. It has been boiled down to almost a science. Some variability, but if you follow the steps, you are almost guaranteed to end up on first [age.

        As far as price being too high, you can get a competent expert for a very reasonable amount, who should be able to guarantee you a profitable campaign.

        IMHO
        I like what you meant hear Tim. I almost think of the same thing.

        And about the experts, SEO like other service providers, vary in packages and approaches. It's better ask the quotes for the service first and inclusion. Don't just go on looking for one SEO you've just stumbled. Go and look for many to compare quotes and then weigh things, listen and understand to what they are saying...

        Results, delivery, strategy, your expectation and match it to the pricing - may the service be from a one-man-team or an agency.
        Signature

        A guy totally addicted with SEO and internet marketing.

        Let's connect:
        Fervil Von
        @fervilvon

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TZ
    Do it yourself, but don`t call it SEO yet. Your focus should be creating excellent content. Long posts with a ton of detail on the product or service - shoot for 2000+ word posts with graphics, tables, descriptions, reviews, etc., etc.

    Let Google know you mean business and start out the gate with stellar content. Let your trust factor grow by just posting really strong content, and the links will start to come on their own.

    This is the way we started all of our domains since 2005 and it works really well. Later you can do some tests with auto-generated content (or content that isn`t the same quality as your initial pillar content).

    Then keep some domains as PURE white hat content for your safe, base level income. Then experiment on the dark side with a couple other domains.
    Signature

    $php_coding = "consistent cash";

    echo ("Give me" . " " . $php_coding . "!");

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9216493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author emile24
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9228623].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by emile24 View Post

      if you don't know about seo so pl. don't try because one silly mistake can bane your website so if you have then do otherwise get to SEO agency.

      That might apply to you with keywords links in your sig (or be meaningless because they are no follow). Slipping links into your posts might get some action from the mods too.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9228632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MilesSharma
    Try different trusted seo services who focus on quality backlinks to avoid getting slaps from google.
    Doing everything yourself will definitely slow down the business, so best you can do is either make your own team of content writers and some seo guys or try some trusted seo agencies.
    Signature
    STOP! STOP! STOP! Just Stop Wandering And Tell Me What Do You Want? Decide Now!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9228779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Kaushik
    Instead of hiring a company you should do it yourself. Because if you do then you know that it is your website and what will be effect of your work.

    Also your main focus should be only on CONTENT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9228799].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MatthewReece
      Originally Posted by Deepak Kaushik View Post

      Instead of hiring a company you should do it yourself. Because if you do then you know that it is your website and what will be effect of your work.

      Also your main focus should be only on CONTENT
      LOL, if you are building a factory, you will be a worker there? to know that this is YOUR factory and that everything is ok?
      That's funny.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229111].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by MatthewReece View Post

        LOL, if you are building a factory, you will be a worker there? to know that this is YOUR factory and that everything is ok?
        That's funny.
        You would either be doing the work yourself or babysitting the workers, which is still work.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobuzz
    As you mentioned that you got success with ranking by working yourself, so you should use your expertise for your future websites also. At the same time if you do all the work yourself, you will not be able to concentrate on other issues. That's why my suggestion is -

    Formulate the SEO strategy yourself. And then hire a Virtual Assistant to perform all the SEO tasks as per your instructions. In this way your niche can also be hidden to some extent.
    Signature
    SecondIncomeBlog.com
    Ideas and Techniques to Make Money Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229166].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murthee
      Originally Posted by seobuzz View Post

      As you mentioned that you got success with ranking by working yourself, so you should use your expertise for your future websites also. At the same time if you do all the work yourself, you will not be able to concentrate on other issues. That's why my suggestion is -

      Formulate the SEO strategy yourself. And then hire a Virtual Assistant to perform all the SEO tasks as per your instructions. In this way your niche can also be hidden to some extent.
      What do you think about popular PBN that charge about 200 or 300 buck for 5 or 10 links from sites with DA and PA above 30 sites ?

      Isn't those links enough for low competition keywords to gain first page results?

      Thanks,
      Murthy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231165].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Linkable
        Originally Posted by murthee View Post

        What do you think about popular PBN that charge about 200 or 300 buck for 5 or 10 links from sites with DA and PA above 30 sites ?

        Isn't those links enough for low competition keywords to gain first page results?

        Thanks,
        Murthy
        To many variables there to say for sure but I'd be careful with PBN's. It's just a matter of time until Google starts really coming down on them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author frettcarla
    SEO for affiliate marketing website should be done within prior supervision, and for that I don't think that giving it to a SEO agency will have any impact literally. SEO agency will promise that they will deliver certain things in a respective time and when the time will come, the output will be kind of zero. So, I think its better to do yourself of deploy persons to do under your supervision.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOArbiterJoanne
    Why does it have to be one or the other? You can outsource some things and do some things yourself.

    Although, it's probably a good idea that you have a reasonable amount of knowledge about SEO before you begin outsourcing things to ensure you don't buy the wrong things/from the wrong people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoace
    Why don't you ask your SEO agency to recover you from the penalty instead of building more links?

    A qualified agency will be able to do that.
    Signature
    Who else needs a SEO Client Dashboard for their SEO services ?
    Let your clients monitor their SEO campaigns (Rankings, Backlinks and Work Done)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9238576].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author a2hosting
    We've worked with one SEO company and it was pretty scammy. They chose extremely niche, low traffic keywords that they wanted to help us rank well for. The kicker was that we were required to add those keywords to our already highly optimized pages. They determined whether their tactics were helping if we ranked better for those niche keywords. Of course by adding those keywords to our site, we were going to rank better for those keywords.

    Anyway, I hate to sway you in a certain direction because of one experience, but I would recommend hiring an SEO consultant instead to make sure your site is properly structured and then doing the SEO work yourself.
    Signature
    WordPress Hosting From A2 Hosting - Up To 20X Faster On Turbo Servers. WordPress Auto-Installed! Free Migrations. Guru Crew Support. Featuring High Speed VPS Hosting!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erikko
    Trust an expert to do it for you because SEO is an ever changing marketing practice and not all newbie can keep up with the pace.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author promo87
    Banned
    Well, you have asked fairly a tough question which is pretty much hard to explain but I'll say try to do the SEO yourself because most of the SEO company use the black hat methods to out your ranking on top of the search result i.e. only to show you that they have done what they have promised but once their contract ends you'll find yourself stuck in the gutter of bad backlinks. There are some SEO firms but the number are much more smaller than you can think of !! As there is nothing much left in SEO I'll stress that it would be better to do the work yourself rather than hiring an SEO company.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dgui123451
    SEO isn't childs play anymore. Its best to forget SEO to do "SEO". If you can't do that, leave it to the experts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oadvantage
      Hmm..

      I would personally invest in learning from people who can get results as opposed to hiring an agency.

      If they got your site penalized, they have no idea what they are doing anyway.

      I know this is general advice, but invest in YOUR skills.

      Build a personal PR network and test, test, test.

      There are ways to never worry about an algorithm change if you link correctly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9245372].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author murthee
        Originally Posted by oadvantage View Post

        Hmm..

        I would personally invest in learning from people who can get results as opposed to hiring an agency.

        If they got your site penalized, they have no idea what they are doing anyway.

        I know this is general advice, but invest in YOUR skills.

        Build a personal PR network and test, test, test.

        There are ways to never worry about an algorithm change if you link correctly.
        Very true! I've already started to analyze the reasons for the penalty. Also I was wondering if there are some legitimate link builders who can help get links while I take care of other stuffs like on site and content

        Thanks,
        Murthy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9246736].message }}

Trending Topics