Can you still make money from SEO today?

46 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Is there anybody killing it with SEO today?

I've been making a nice income from SEO in 2011 and the beginning of 2012, but I never went back when I lost all of my rankings and I found it to be very unstable.

I haven't looked at SEO for a long time now...

1) How much different is it?

2) Is it easier? Harder?

3) Is it more/less predictable?

4) Why are you doing / not doing SEO?
#make #money #seo #today
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    For the fact that you have been able to make money from SEO in 2011/2012 is enough to tell you that SEO still works.

    The only thing you are doing wrong now is not ranking on the top page and getting targeted traffic.

    SEO has really changed from what it use to be (Overtly spamming).
    While it's a pain in the neck for the average Joe to rank site now it's still very much profitable if you pick the right keywords and rank. And even better, you stay on top of the SERP unshaken if you know what you are doing without a competitor's threat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Poc
      Originally Posted by johnben1444 View Post

      For the fact that you have been able to make money from SEO in 2011/2012 is enough to tell you that SEO still works.

      The only thing you are doing wrong now is not ranking on the top page and getting targeted traffic.

      SEO has really changed from what it use to be (Overtly spamming).
      While it's a pain in the neck for the average Joe to rank site now it's still very much profitable if you pick the right keywords and rank. And even better, you stay on top of the SERP unshaken if you know what you are doing without a competitor's threat.
      Are you doing SEO right now? I talked to some SEO companies and it seems that they are losing all of their clients at the moment, they seem to be REALLY scared!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325840].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
        Originally Posted by Matt Poc View Post

        Are you doing SEO right now? I talked to some SEO companies and it seems that they are losing all of their clients at the moment, they seem to be REALLY scared!
        That leaves plenty of rooms for me and Mikes.

        Yeah, i still do but must admit the game has really changed except if you have been going by the rules.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9326789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anamaria
    yeap of course you can make huge money today..
    today its more harder but not impossible
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chandrapaul
    yes u can do it. but u have to do it in right way.
    Signature
    BELIEVE IT OR NOT - GET GORGEOUS WEBSITE AT $99
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abhibangal
    Originally Posted by Matt Poc View Post

    Is there anybody killing it with SEO today?

    I've been making a nice income from SEO in 2011 and the beginning of 2012, but I never went back when I lost all of my rankings and I found it to be very unstable.

    I haven't looked at SEO for a long time now...

    1) How much different is it?

    2) Is it easier? Harder?

    3) Is it more/less predictable?

    4) Why are you doing / not doing SEO?
    You will still be able to get back to where you once were. I am not really aware of how things were when you were going great guns, but as far as I know, it is really not that hard. And as you have the background, you won't find it difficult to manage.
    Good luck and God bless!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mkgg
    Its all about high PR links these days, PBNs etc.

    Quality is beating quantity for the most part
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9326503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AffEngineer
    I think more and more companies that utilize online advertising will be making the switch to paid advertising rather than SEO.

    SEO, however seems to be a totally different game, one that a lot of blackhatters will find difficult to adjust too.

    ~ Mateen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9326861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan3
    There's tons of people killing it with seo. Google will always be unpredictable but the more advanced seo'ers usually predict the updates before they happen and can avoid them.

    Most of the seo tactics from 2012 still work with some exceptions, but its basically still the same. Quantity + Authority = Ranking
    Signature
    "Start"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9326874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author netanel23
    Absolutely I am, all of my income comes from SEO sites although I do diversify traffic sources.

    The nice thing is people are running from SEO, which means a ton more opportunity. The mass churn and burn guys moved to PPV the past few years leaving a lot of open niches.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9327234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rlopez88
    Yeah its possible to maintain good income with SEO. But its not so easy as it was back then.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9327264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author longseo
    Yes, of course. Google changes itself everyday. SEO also need to change everyday. SEO can not be dead.
    Signature
    SEO VPS with SEO TOOLS Pre-installed | SEO VPS without SEO tools|SEO Dedicated Servers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9327449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timpears
    I would say so, I have friends making $10K, $20K and up. One fellow I know made almost $250K in May. So I would say it is profitable.
    Signature

    Tim Pears

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9327574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author craighakwins
    These days it's mostly about PR links and a lot of brandy links. And yes, you can still make a ton of money in SEO.
    Signature
    RANK DOCTOR - PREMIUM High Quality, High Authority DA+PA+ Links. 3 Links for $35/m (Currently 20% OFF)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9327588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rashid Iqbal
    yes you make money through the right way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpe3egol
    today its more harder but not impossible
    fully agree, but seo still very interesting and profitable business. You can create your own services, ways to promote, recruit a team of great professionals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicktyler
    Seeing as Moz made nearly $30m revenue in 2013 i would say there is still money in SEO.
    Signature

    1000's of IT jobs in the UK online now at Dice

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328136].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seosuperstar2014
    Very much, i 've built 100s of sites on extremely good competition keywords, got them on top, and they are easily fetching me around 6K to 8K per month...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Long story short, as long as you know what Google wants it's really not that hard at all to make money from SEO.

      I do believe SEO companies lose clients at a fast rate but that has more to do with how the client site is structured / setup, then due to the links.

      I see it myself with my own clients, although the websites itself are of decent quality design wise they are often thin or uber thin in case of eCommerce sites. Those just won't survive in the current Google landscape due to the Panda filter.

      To some it might sound a bit like blaming the client but that's not really the case, they can't help it either, however if they pay like $500-$1500/month then you would expect the SEO would make sure that the website is Google resistent.

      I'm still succesfull with somewhat crappy sites myself, but the structure / setup is top notch and the links are strong so those sites still fare well.

      Google is just a bot so it's really not that hard to comply with their "written/algoritm" rules, sure it requires some tweaking and adjusting now and then when a new Panda filter is released but that only keeps it exciting and it never takes long to figure out what it's about when you have access to tons of sites.

      For newbies with a small budget I can understand that it would look to them that SEO is dead but that couldn't be more far from the truth.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fuadiansyah
      Originally Posted by wariswar View Post

      Very much, i 've built 100s of sites on extremely good competition keywords, got them on top, and they are easily fetching me around 6K to 8K per month...
      100 sites? Woow!
      How do you managed them?
      Do have a team or something like that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Mayers
    Hey Matt

    Although i still make money with SEO, i just outsource it and have a professional do it for me.

    I could do it myself but id rather let my money work for me so that i am able to get a great deal of time freed up so that i can focus on other things.

    -Josh
    Signature
    Learn How This Simple Tool Can Help You Make $10K/Month...
    ~ www.UltimateWealthTool.com ~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Poc
      Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post

      Seeing as Moz made nearly $30m revenue in 2013 i would say there is still money in SEO.
      Where can I see this statistic? Sounds like a LOT in revenue.

      Originally Posted by wariswar View Post

      Very much, i 've built 100s of sites on extremely good competition keywords, got them on top, and they are easily fetching me around 6K to 8K per month...
      Small websites still work? Amazing. Do they fluctuate in rankings a lot? Do you constantly update your websites?

      Originally Posted by Josh Mayers View Post

      Hey Matt

      Although i still make money with SEO, i just outsource it and have a professional do it for me.

      I could do it myself but id rather let my money work for me so that i am able to get a great deal of time freed up so that i can focus on other things.

      -Josh

      Do you have in house staff and train them or do you hire SEO experts?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebStatsO
    Its still possible to make money with seo today but its a long and hard grind since the "Panda" era. If you are patient and determined you will have success in seo.
    Signature
    Website Worth - Know your websites worth, statistics and WHOIS ip lookup.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    Honestly, I'm skeptical. I know that there are several people here that have SEO businesses, do SEO for a living, or at least claim to, but I also know several BIG name SEO people that have stopped relying on it altogether.

    I'm on Jerry West's list and have been for years. If anyone's not familiar with him he's the author of "Google Best Practices" and has been a super affiliate for many years. Jerry has or at least "had" a network of over 700 domains and an entire team to monitor them for changes. I heard from him a few months ago when he announced that he was moving away from SEO as his primary source of income because it had become too unreliable. He was now taking advantage of the Kindle opportunity.

    I also have a friend that knows Marc Lindsay and Daniel Turner very well. I met him when he bought one of my sites on a Flippa auction.

    Some of you may or may not be familiar with Marc and Daniel. They've been around for years, though. Besides being the owners of PLRPro(dot)com and ArticleMarketingAutomation(dot)com, Marc and Daniel also owned the second largest SEO company in Australia a few years back. I was in an SEO class with Daniel back in late 2011 for a couple months.

    Anyway, they're not doing things the same way they used to. I'm not 100% certain what they're doing now, but I do know that they're no longer building affiliate sites.

    Finally, did anyone else notice that Moz.com used to be called "SEOmoz.com" until a few months ago?

    There are still people doing it and I don't doubt that some are having great success, but I see a lot of big names that were branded as experts in SEO that are either trying to reinvent themselves and their business or have simply disappeared.

    Once again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's livelyhood. I'm just sharing what I know and what I see.
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Joe Stewart View Post

      Honestly, I'm skeptical. I know that there are several people here that have SEO businesses, do SEO for a living, or at least claim to, but I also know several BIG name SEO people that have stopped relying on it altogether.

      I'm on Jerry West's list and have been for years. If anyone's not familiar with him he's the author of "Google Best Practices" and has been a super affiliate for many years. Jerry has or at least "had" a network of over 700 domains and an entire team to monitor them for changes. I heard from him a few months ago when he announced that he was moving away from SEO as his primary source of income because it had become too unreliable. He was now taking advantage of the Kindle opportunity.

      I also have a friend that knows Marc Lindsay and Daniel Turner very well. I met him when he bought one of my sites on a Flippa auction.

      Some of you may or may not be familiar with Marc and Daniel. They've been around for years, though. Besides being the owners of PLRPro(dot)com and ArticleMarketingAutomation(dot)com, Marc and Daniel also owned the second largest SEO company in Australia a few years back. I was in an SEO class with Daniel back in late 2011 for a couple months.
      Aah, so we have a popular IM/WF style guru with a large list and many guru friends that can help him boost his Kindle business cause he failed with SEO as he found out that can't be gamed that easily anymore.

      Then we have some friends who were supposed to run the 2nd largest SEO company in Australia while at the same time running an article directory spam bot and selling public label right content. No wonder they had a need to follow SEO classes when coming from such background. Wonder which position their company in Australia holds now.

      You sure add some great examples of people to base your opinions on

      For the record, you don't know any BIG name SEO people at all, you only know a few fake gurus that found something that worked a few years back and that scaled it big time to make BIG BUCKS and now they jumped on the Kindle bandwagon and praise each other all together to pull more $$$'s from noobs, not the same thing pal.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329679].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
        Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

        Aah, so we have a popular IM/WF style guru with a large list and many guru friends that can help him boost his Kindle business cause he failed with SEO as he found out that can't be gamed that easily anymore.

        Then we have some friends who were supposed to run the 2nd largest SEO company in Australia while at the same time running an article directory spam bot and selling public label right content. No wonder they had a need to follow SEO classes when coming from such background. Wonder which position their company in Australia holds now.

        You sure add some great examples of people to base your opinions on

        For the record, you don't know any BIG name SEO people at all, you only know a few fake gurus that found something that worked a few years back and that scaled it big time to make BIG BUCKS and now they jumped on the Kindle bandwagon and praise each other all together to pull more $$$'s from noobs, not the same thing pal.

        I was simply sharing what I know. It wasn't my intent to be a jerk, "pal".

        I guess that still leaves Moz, eh?

        Look, I don't doubt that some people are still ranking sites. I'm just saying that I and most everyone else I know who've been around for years don't look at it as a stable source of traffic.
        Signature

        My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

        http://www.UnCENTSored.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329763].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nik0
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Joe Stewart View Post

          I was simply sharing what I know. It wasn't my intent to be a jerk, "pal".

          I guess that still leaves Moz, eh?

          Look, I don't doubt that some people are still ranking sites. I'm just saying that I and most everyone else I know who've been around for years don't look at it as a stable source of traffic.
          There can be many reason for Moz to re-brand, think of:

          - company want to go more broad
          - SEO has gotten a bad name due to scams
          - people are scared of SEO due to Google updates
          - there's more then just SEO, think of SEM, SMM, PPC

          SEO can be a stable source of traffic but you have to take stable with a grain of salt, I recovered my site multiple times. If I receive 6000 visitors a month over a course of 10 months a year and 2 months a year I spend on re-structuring/re-designing my sites due to some new Panda filter that I wasn't prepared for then that's still 6000 visits * 10 months = 60k visits / 12 months = 5000 visitors/month. Not too bad and those numbers are realistic, not made up or something.

          Especially if you look at the alternative like PPC, which would have cost me say: 60.000 clicks * $0,20 = $12000,-, while SEO'ing the site and building links from my private network would have cost a customer around $1000,- while the cost price for me is somewhere around $500,-

          Other example, I had a site that costed me all together $200,-, it made $3000,- while it ranked well, then it tanked at some point, though tanked it still brought in $50/month from longtail traffic and it has been like that for 2 years already. That's 24 months * $50 = $1200,- from a site that most consider lost. I would call that one heck of a ROI, and I don't see that income disappearing any time soon.

          So stable source of traffic or not, yes it can be stable measured over the long term, but it's not 100% passive, Google's algorithm does change and you need to take the time and sometimes a little bit of money for new content to adjust to that.

          I just recovered a batch of 10 sites affected by Panda 4.0 in only 1 week time and it now ranks better then ever so how unstable is that traffic really when you know what you're doing and know its recoverable with some tweaks. I never believed in passive income btw, as something like that simply doesn't exist so if that's what people were thinking and hoping for then sad enough they were wrong right from the start, every way of income takes time, however my life is filled with holidays so it's definitely passive enough, despite me sometimes working months in a row at 16 hours a day to maintain my easy life.

          That's why I get pissed off sometimes, people are freaking lazy and refuse to do their research and keep up with changes, instead they claim a method to be dead, unstable or near dieing and cause they have some type of guru status caused by their bank cheque which is a result of their only decent skill, scaling big time, people start to believe them and also start yelling on forums that SEO is not worth it.

          To all those people, show me one method/concept that gives a better ROI then SEO.

          It simply doesn't exist.

          Anyway, I can point you at tons of SERP's where people are completely killing it with grey hat and black hat, and that's definitely not restricted to 1-3 week lasting churn & burn in Payday Loan or Viagra niches. Is there a secret to it? Not at all, just private blog networks and decent structured sites, but not setup in the way like most advertise or preach it on IM forums. Instead setup in a solid way, on real hostings, with domains with real strength instead of faked / artificially created PR and that kind of cheap tricks.

          Has SEO become expensive? Yes definitely a lot more expensive then before when people could launch a 5 page site and spam it with some softwares, but the ROI justifies it, Google could make it even 5 times more hard and it would still give the best ROI of all methods.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9329879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaintechnosoft
    No one will assure you that all 365 days, your website will rank on top five positions. Google algorithms are very complex in nature, only one thing SEO experts can follow is practicing white hat techniques and following Google guidelines. Google completely removing spam activities, Ofcourse they are many companies who are benefiting from seo services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9330365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webtraf101
    yes you can still earn but not an easy as before. There's a lot of technique you can found in the internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9330408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    Of course you can. Either get really good and creative, or automate the heck out of it. There's so many ways and areas of SEO that you could just take one and have some success.

    Today I saw an "actionable SEO report" that wasn't really a report, nor was there anything actionable about it. And this particular company had a gig. Doesn't take much to improve from that level.
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ppscslv
    If you're including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Quora, etc) into your SEO strategies, then you can make big money with SEO.
    Signature
    Do you want to Resell Social Media Services (Twitter followers, Facebook Likes, etc)?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
      Originally Posted by ppscslv View Post

      If you're including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Quora, etc) into your SEO strategies, then you can make big money with SEO.
      Or you could just sell social media as social media. It's got quite little to do with SEO, but social can be a good way to market and engage. Of course it's totally different game than SEO.
      Signature
      Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
      Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

      What's your excuse?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ConnectVT
    SEO is still the same, but what matters is how to understand it. If you just put keywords everywhere to impress search engines, of course Panda or Penguin can bite your website. It is not harder nor easier. It is just the same and more focused on quality over quantity. No room for cheap tricks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author craighakwins
      Originally Posted by ConnectVT View Post

      SEO is still the same, but what matters is how to understand it. If you just put keywords everywhere to impress search engines, of course Panda or Penguin can bite your website. It is not harder nor easier. It is just the same and more focused on quality over quantity. No room for cheap tricks.
      I agree. It's not really difficult. You just have to adjust, that's how ALL businesses work. Things change, everything changes. You just have to adapt.
      Signature
      RANK DOCTOR - PREMIUM High Quality, High Authority DA+PA+ Links. 3 Links for $35/m (Currently 20% OFF)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author saigon
    Yes you can still earn but not as the same as before since SE is now much smarter. You should update your SEO skills bro!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MH Anwar
    just a little bit..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jungleweb
    IMO SEO is at least 5 times harder today than it was several years ago. It's probably less expensive in both time & money now to just do PPC and skip all the jumping through hoops of different animal algorithms. Yeah, you can still make money in SEO, but man!...the game den changed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shashikant1010
    yes right now i am working on seo. its going to hard and hard because google change their alogo
    very fast for stop spamming i will definitely say that seo will never dies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpe3egol
    Wow, I really liked this thread! Such interesting and clever ideas, stories. Big thanks to Matt Poc as topic starter!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alieen
    yes dear you can make money from SEO its is difficult but i think nothing is impossible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332630].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Poc
      Originally Posted by WebStatsO View Post

      Its still possible to make money with seo today but its a long and hard grind since the "Panda" era. If you are patient and determined you will have success in seo.
      I hate to wait for something for a long time if I am not certain it will not produce results... You think in this case I should avoid SEO in this case?

      Originally Posted by alieen View Post

      yes dear you can make money from SEO its is difficult but i think nothing is impossible.
      I agree there's nothing impossible! But I do want to know how effective it can be.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9338238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vaer enterprises
    Yes of course of can still make money doing SEO services. It changed a lot from what it used to be, but is still alive and kicking. In my honest opinion SEO will around for a long time to come.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9338906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author someshets
    yes, there is lots of scope for earning money in seo.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9340015].message }}

Trending Topics