Hyphenated vs Non-Hypenated URL's

13 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello All,

I'm certain we've had this question here around a million times. But I can't quite remember the outcome, is there any drawback at all to using a hyphenated URL over a on-hyphenated?

For example, would their be any reason to pick my-domain.co.uk over mydomain.co.uk or would it literally be the same? Only really interested from an SEO perspective.
#hyphenated #nonhypenated #url
  • Profile picture of the author jrigdon73
    I know you asked for an answer related to SEO, but just wanted to say that a hyphenated URL seems very late 90s/ early 2000s to me. Just sayin'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335245].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Tovey
      I agree! However, every variation of the URL that I want to buy has been bought by these bloody Domain Name companies who have added three 0's the end of their actual price
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335251].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mkgg
        Originally Posted by Paul Tovey View Post

        I agree! However, every variation of the URL that I want to buy has been bought by these bloody Domain Name companies who have added three 0's the end of their actual price
        Forget about google. Think about your users, are they going to be able to easily remember and type your domain if it has hyphens ? If the answer is yes then go for it.

        I don't think google cares about that really
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9336008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twilightofidols
    It would be the same. A hyphen isn't going to hurt your ability to rank at all. However, I suspect it'd be much easier to get direct type in traffic without the hyphen.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunnyp81
    Ive had no difference in ranking. Some say hyphenated urls look spammy but i disagree.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Niche Blogger
      I wouldn't say there's any difference in ranking but you rarely see hyphenated domains on page 1 of Google these days.

      People are moving more towards using unique brand names instead of keywords or phrases that need to be hyphenated because the unhyphenated version isn't available.
      Signature
      Custom Mega Authority Sites - 1000+ Word Articles (written by REAL native English speaking writers)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Tovey
    Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      ROTFLMAO! Are you people for real? Let's see...
      bestwiigamesforpeoplewholiveinapartments.php

      And you tell me that does not cry out for a friggin' hyphen?!?!?!?!?!

      Do you think this thread would look better with
      hyphenatedvsnonhypenatedurls.html
      instead of hyphenated-vs-non-hypenated-urls.html?

      Crazy.

      Oh. Wait. Perhaps you mean hyphenated domains...but then we need
      to talk about the difference between a url and a domain.

      Originally Posted by jrigdon73 View Post

      I know you asked for an answer related to SEO, but just wanted to say that a hyphenated URL seems very late 90s/ early 2000s to me. Just sayin'.
      Originally Posted by Paul Tovey View Post

      I agree! However, every variation of the URL that I want to buy has been bought by these bloody Domain Name companies who have added three 0's the end of their actual price
      Originally Posted by sunnyp81 View Post

      Ive had no difference in ranking. Some say hyphenated urls look spammy but i disagree.
      Crazy x two.

      If your domain needs a hyphen, it needs a hyphen. Period.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9335858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UMS
    Originally Posted by Paul Tovey View Post

    For example, would their be any reason to pick my-domain.co.uk over mydomain.co.uk or would it literally be the same? Only really interested from an SEO perspective.
    If it makes sense to hyphenate the domain, then do it.

    Which would you prefer out of these real domains:

    therapistfinder.com or thearapist-finder.com

    penisland.net or pen-island.com

    expertsexchange.com or experts-exchange.com

    teacherstalking.org or teachers-talking.org

    molestationnursery.com or mole-station-nursery.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9336002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9339348].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Hyphenated or not, I prefer to go for branded domains these days so no keywords at all as they seem to be less sensitive to over optimization penalties, in other words I can go more aggressive with my onpage / offpage efforts.

        Yes I'm still a anchor text stuffing monkey with my own sites as it achieves faster/better results.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9339351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hiringsimulation
    I use a couple SEO plugins, and their tips seem to indicate either work fine. I use hyphens because it is easier to read then what looks like 1 long word.
    Signature

    --------------------------

    Job Simulation Assessment

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9338172].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author smiles8103
      The easiest way for me to answer this question is to say just do everything for your end user first. Don't worry about the Big G, aka Google.....If you do things with your "customer" in mind, everything else will fall into place.

      As far as hyphen, no hyphen......doesn't matter really. If it needs a hyphen, or the other domains are too dang expensive, don't break the bank trying to purchase them, just use a hyphen.

      I have ranked sites with and without hyphens. If it's cheaper to hyphenate, then go for it buddy. Good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9338207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jopaar
    Hello fellows,

    i came up here because i found a high profitable niche.
    The best main non-hyphenated domain is already reserved,
    and before made my whole research i bought the non hyphenated domain.

    I have read just before a half hours ago how important is the non
    hyphenated domain,but i have to work this time with h format domain.
    The non-h-domain is not launched yet i want to be the #1.

    How do you see my case?Maybe if the site is ready for launch i wil buy secondary domains
    to redirect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490208].message }}

Trending Topics