Having more than one e-commerce site after penalty?

6 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Anyone have two websites after a penalty ?

For example, having a different version of your site or maybe one that focuses on another area in the niche, after getting a penalty?

Almost like a back up plan with the way google updates are now (if a site is penalized even after fixing it up, etc) The state of the algorithyms is a bit absurd as it is now. If it is really about quality content then it doesn't make sense for quality sites to be penalized for so long considering the way it's going now.
#ecommerce #makes #penalty #sense #site
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    A lot of people confuse penalties with competition.

    Where's your proof of a penalty?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9386103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Xelaetaks
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      A lot of people confuse penalties with competition.

      Where's your proof of a penalty?

      Big drops around the time of penguin and panda updates. From hundreds of visitors a week/month to very little from google. May see if links do the trick soon enough but site went from being on page 1 for some keywords to around 8.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9386192].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Xelaetaks View Post

        Big drops around the time of penguin and panda updates. From hundreds of visitors a week/month to very little from google. May see if links do the trick soon enough but site went from being on page 1 for some keywords to around 8.
        I wouldn't consider that a penalty, it's a most likely devalued/dropped links which can be fixed with better links.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9386203].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author netanel23
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          I wouldn't consider that a penalty, it's a most likely devalued/dropped links which can be fixed with better links.
          Or it's more than likely over-optimized, low quality link profiles. Dropped links can see effects within hours of being dropped and have nothing to do with algorithm updates like Penguin.

          To the op: Yes, this has been my strategy for some time. Instead of putting all of my eggs in one basket I have several sites which are essentially the same business. However everything is different on them. From the phone numbers to the addresses used, hosting, content, etc. It is a nice insurance plan against large algorithm shifts and allows me to diversify in a lot of different aspects. Such as the SEO methods tried, A/B testing, keywords targeted and so forth.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9387520].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by netanel23 View Post

            Dropped links can see effects within hours of being dropped and have nothing to do with algorithm updates like Penguin.
            Unless they're weak links to begin with & the backlink page/s get crawled once a month. All links aren't equal.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9387554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Power
    If you are creating churn and burn sites, then that's a good strategy. I would host the two versions on separate hostinh accounts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9386984].message }}

Trending Topics