What are some common misconceptions?

11 replies
Hey Warriors,

I'm writing up some podcast episodes where I'll be going in depth and answering some common misconceptions when it comes to making money online and running an internet business.

What are some that you've run across that stood out to you or left you scratching your head? Did you find the answer to that question or are you still wondering?

Post them here, I'd love to address them. And if I can't answer it, I know there are some other warriors here who would be happy to help.

Keep Being Awesome!
- Taylor
#common #misconceptions
  • Profile picture of the author mikerichardson
    Internet Marketing is one of the greatest source of traffic as they say but the Internet is also considered as a dark scary place where people scam each other. You will encounter people with the same level of experience as you but you have to remember there are also people who will do whatever it takes to get their way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229269].message }}
  • The issue with duplicate content. Still, a lot thinks that you get banned from Google with duplicate content. And further to the confusion is, do duplicate content matters? Some says yes. Some says no-- with proof that there are websites still ranking higher on SERPs using duplicate content only.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    That you are going to simply send traffic to an offer and it's going to convert.

Nope.

You can buy traffic, but you don't know the quality of that traffic relative to your offer until you start sending it.

And then you have to figure out how to convert it into sales. Two different steps.

Also, #1 issue in the client coaching calls I've done over the years: totally insufficient quantity of traffic coming to an offer. The client didn't have a chance of success (getting even close to their money target, however vaguely defined) and was beaten before they began, but didn't know it...before we spoke.

Newbies want to hire a copywriter and they don't have a traffic source figured out. Sends experienced copywriters running for the hills.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    After all these years, remarkably, still:

"If you build it, they will come."

People with one-page sites that have had a handful of visitors( aunts, uncles and co-workers) asking "why am I not making sales?"

Brent
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    "Just take action; any kind of Action."

I think people over simplify this. You should take Action but focused, specific Action that has a Plan behind it

- Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author taylormarek
    Thanks for the input guys! A couple I really plan on hitting hard are "Making money online is easy" and "you don't need any technical experience". I'm sure you've heard them many times, as have I and I think it's about high time I put them to rest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    The most common are

SOLO ADS work in all cases

Mentors are all you need to be successful

Raw PLR is a good idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11229972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    You need to be passionate about the niche you're choosing.

Content is king. Publish a lot of it, publish quality, Google will love you and give you all the visitors you want.

Yoast's SEO plugin is SEO. You install it, set it up and voila, you rank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11230405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author filiks
    Online marketing produces results overnight???

This is another incorrect myth/misconception -This is far from the truth!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11230481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    "The only people making money are the people you keep buying from".

"You've been doing this for 2 months now. Why aren't you making $5k a month yet?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11230568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Ten of my all time favorite misconceptions:

"The money is in the list" - You can buy a 100K list on eBay for $15. Where's the money?

"People buy what they need" - Not really. They buy what they want.

"If I can do it, anyone can do it" - No, we are different in so many ways.

"I've got your back" - No, you've got your hand in my back pocket.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime deal" - Until I run it again this summer.

"I read it online - it must be true" - No comment needed.

"You get what you pay for" - Sometimes it's true, many times it's far from the truth.

"'_______________________' (your favorite strategy) is dead" (I've seen it declared for email marketing, content creation, desktop computers, blogging, solo ads, list building, you name it.)

"If just one person in 1,000 buys, you will be rich" - Don't hold your breath.

"It's OK to borrow content as long as you quote the source." Tell that to the judge.

The best to all of you,

Steve
    Signature

Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11230623].message }}

Trending Topics