Using Audience Intersect with Facebook - Don't!

by nicoli
32 replies
Hi all,

I want to give a heads up to those of you who are trying to use Audience Intersect with Facebook ads.

There have been several new WSO's and Affiliates pushing these products, encouraging the use of this tool. They even go as far as showing forum threads from companies such as Teespring, saying that Audience Intersect is ok.

The problem is, Teespring and other companies that promote the use of this software are not Facebook.

I have had the word from my FB account manager, and have even seen it myself in the office. FB has in no way, shape or form, allowed the use of ANY third party tool to cheat their targeting system. The fact that it talks to their API/Open Graph is irrelevant. Scrapers and Custom UID Audiences used to use their API/Open Graph too and look what happened to all of those people and the Custom Audience feature now.

I am not trying to put down anyones products, nor will I name any, but I would advise you all to do your research before you start using tools to cheat Facebook, especially when they have no affiliation with Facebook at all!

Take the risk if you want, but I would hate to see you have your advertising accounts banned.
#audience #facebook #intersect
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Seems to be an argument for both. I wouldn't listen to your account manager though as they are much use as a chocolate teapot!

    I've heard that it's a sponsored thing and it's only allowed by certain partners and Audience Intersect even say this, would be a tad dangerous saying that if they weren't?

    However, as you say take precautions as there is no "official word"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      Seems to be an argument for both. I wouldn't listen to your account manager though as they are much use as a chocolate teapot!

      I've heard that it's a sponsored thing and it's only allowed by certain partners and Audience Intersect even say this, would be a tad dangerous saying that if they weren't?

      However, as you say take precautions as there is no "official word"
      Haha Chocolate Teapot! I have not heard that saying in years!

      I dunno mate, I trust my Facebook and Teespring account managers with that entire niche of my business. I am not going to ignore what they are saying.

      Think about it, if FB wanted you to have such laser targeting, would they really require you to use a browser specific, 3rd party extension (that often won't work) just to do it? I highly doubt it.

      Take it how you will, but I would exercise caution and that is all I am trying to say. Banned FB ad accounts (especially big ones) are not pretty.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy301b
    Sorry dumb question i know what is audience intersect anyway?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by Andy301b View Post

      Sorry dumb question i know what is audience intersect anyway?
      No such thing as a dumb question mate.

      Audience Intersect allows you to combine interests into one.

      For example :

      In FB targeting, you can target plumbers and you can target pink floyd fans. The problem here is that you get Pink Floyd fans that have nothing to do with plumbing and vice versa.

      Audience Intersect allows you to target only those who have interests in both..

      Sorry I am at the airport and on mobile so hope that makes sense!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Yeah I see exactly what you are saying mate 100% but think about how many 3rd party campaign management companies that are out there that Facebook back also.

    They are treading thin ice if they are not in cooperation with facebook as they clearly portray that... naughty

    P.S I've lost many a $5k a day limit account, yes...... not nice!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      Yeah I see exactly what you are saying mate 100% but think about how many 3rd party campaign management companies that are out there that Facebook back also.

      They are treading thin ice if they are not in cooperation with facebook as they clearly portray that... naughty

      P.S I've lost many a $5k a day limit account, yes...... not nice!
      Campaign management is fine. Third party chrome extensions for the home user....shady!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    I don't particularly think it's a massive deal. It's not like they are scraping ID's or the like.
    They are using the Graph but in an easier form. Facebook being Facebook though will probably kick up fuss and then implement it themselves ! I don't use though pal, have you tested it as of yet?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788387].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      I don't particularly think it's a massive deal. It's not like they are scraping ID's or the like.
      They are using the Graph but in an easier form. Facebook being Facebook though will probably kick up fuss and then implement it themselves ! I don't use though pal, have you tested it as of yet?
      It produces the same results as scraping. A highly targeted, and very cheap audience.

      Yeah we had a look at it, but I made all my staff remove it after hearing of the bans and speaking to FB directly. We don't need it anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    It's not the same though is it because this is freely available to find for yourself without the use of the plugin... albeit will take longer to collect the data. Scraping audiences was dirty in my eyes.

    Are you just running TS stuff? I'm a vet of FB, feel old now :p Mainly ran rebills up until the last year.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788399].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      It's not the same though is it because this is freely available to find for yourself without the use of the plugin... albeit will take longer to collect the data. Scraping audiences was dirty in my eyes.

      Are you just running TS stuff? I'm a vet of FB, feel old now :p Mainly ran rebills up until the last year.
      Scraping info was also easily available. It just saved time.

      Not just running TS. Use FB for many different markets.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Scraping ID's was not available by facebook officially though mate where as Graph is freely available to use.

    Let's just agree, need to go careful if you are using it until an official statement has been made by the big F.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      Scraping ID's was not available by facebook officially though mate where as Graph is freely available to use.

      Let's just agree, need to go careful if you are using it until an official statement has been made by the big F.
      Certainly happy to agree with that. Until FB themselves say it is OK (which they won't) then I wouldn't touch Audience Intersect with a barge pole
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Agreed bud, are you from the UK? Seem to use quite an array of British slang :p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicoli
    I'm originally from NZ...although I have lived and worked in so many different countries and regions over the years that I have no idea what my accent sounds like now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Haha, pretty similar if im honest between you guys, Ozzies and Brits (lingo that is). Added you btw
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

      Haha, pretty similar if im honest between you guys, Ozzies and Brits (lingo that is). Added you btw
      Thanks. BTW, Ozzies and Kiwis are VERY different!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788472].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by nicoli View Post

        Ozzies and Kiwis are VERY different!
        Amen to that! We shag women not sheep! ;-)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796655].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nicoli
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          Amen to that! We shag women not sheep! ;-)
          We shag sheep and them export them to aussies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796658].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by nicoli View Post

            We shag sheep and them export them to aussies
            Ummmm ok. Jokes still on you! ;-)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796670].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author nicoli
              Originally Posted by WillR View Post

              Ummmm ok. Jokes still on you! ;-)
              Not really...It's probably the only insult an Aussie can come up with for kiwis, and given the fact that it was originally termed by the British for the Welsh and Australians and that the Aussies decided to use it against their superior neighbours instead because the bogans weren't intelligent enough to come up with anything else, goes to show who the joke is on.

              Kiwis love when aussies say that! We know what's up
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796674].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author bebout74
                Appreciate you sharing this. I have been using Audience Intersect for a few weeks. I have already had one account closed, but I think it was not because of the audience intersect. just a couple of dumb things I didn't know you couldn't do.

                However, I have attempted to use Audience Intersect the last couple days and it isn't working for me. So, this may be a good thing.

                I will think twice about using it now.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9883530].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788486].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

      Audience Intersect's TRY IT NOW button doesn't work....
      From what I am hearing in my circles the service is flakey. Just another nail in the coffin I suppose.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mieto1969
    Hello guys
    did anyone get banned using Audience Intersect?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789144].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by mieto1969 View Post

      Hello guys
      did anyone got banned using Audience Intersect?
      4 people I know personally have and another handful but I cannot vouch for their stories as I don't know them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drewfioravanti
    I don't know why Facebook doesn't allow "And" statements in their targeting. I've been waiting for them to release the option. But, it never happens.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by drewfioravanti View Post

      I don't know why Facebook doesn't allow "And" statements in their targeting. I've been waiting for them to release the option. But, it never happens.
      That would be a dream come true. I wish it would happen!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicoli
    So I just got off the phone with my TS account manager who has specifically advised against the use of Audience Intersect "for now" until Teespring can firm things up with FB regarding it's terms of use for Teespring Advertisers. Hopefully they can come to a formal arrangement where I feel safe not only using it myself, but recommending it to my students and my lists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicoli
    Yeah it's just an update with the FB API that broke it, but yeah, be careful
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9883535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trex005
    From what I'm reading they make AND / OR available via the API, just not the tools. The API is there to be used by tools like this. I'm not sure where the problem lies.
    I know there are premium tools making use of these logic options, but I can't seem to find free ones. Is that the deal, FB is trying to force people to work with agencies if they want that level of targeting?

    Aside from the caution about FB frowning upon it, are there any other risks? Does it come bundled with spyware? Am I at risk of them hacking my facebook account? What do THEY get out of this?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10194384].message }}

Trending Topics