Instagram vs. Facebook for business marketing

28 replies
Is Instagram more effective for business marketing that Facebook? I know it's been discussed, and the answer is usually Facebook as the clear winner, however I'm interested if there has been a shift in this at all.

It's a pretty common question - is Facebook more or less effective than Instagram.

I've got to admit; Facebook is less and less efficient in some ways for my business clients, that said, I'm not convinced that Instagram can provide the analytical data I need for client's business reporting.

Facebook has obviously been the big cheese in social media for a long time, however it's the little guys that can sometimes make a significant impact, and while Instagram allows sponsored posts now and advertising, personally I find Instagram is far more effective at collating quality content as opposed to the feed of Facebook drawl that can be a tad off-putting when you're scrolling through Facebook.

It's a personal choice; I think that's what it comes down to - however it's important to weigh up the benefits:

Facebook - 1.4 billion monthly active users, with only 655 of these active users on mobile only plus 40 million small business Facebook pages

Usually, the starting point for businesses looking to get noticed in an online world is to set up a free Facebook business page.
  • 87% of 18 to 29-year-olds are using Facebook - with a lean towards women
  • 70 to 74% are college or high school graduates
  • Awesome analytics and reporting
  • Users can find out information such as opening hours and lots of detail
  • Perfect for curated content and company news

Instagram - 300 million monthly active users, 75 million daily users and 47% users accessing the app on their phone and 53% on their tablet.

The platform thrives on engagement with visual content - this is probably the biggest plus for small business and e-commerce opportunities.
  • 53% of 18 to 29-year-olds are using Instagram - the gender is fairly even
  • 23 to 31% are college or high school graduates
  • Fewer images of users dinners and most structured and visual posts - Instagram is about 'capturing moments.'
  • All about the image, if you're looking for engagement - look no further than Instagram
  • No clickable links on Instagram
  • Externally track campaigns via Sprout Social or similar

The jury is still out however it is clearly obvious that Facebook has the upper hand still on creating, tracking and reporting campaigns plus is the best paid advertising platform around for a social media site.

I think at the end of the day; there is no replacement for the other. Instagram does plenty of things Facebook can't and vice versa. Businesses need to use each platform for it's best features to develop a truly effective combined engagement across a range of platforms.

While I must admit I prefer to use Instagram personally to avoid some of the waffle on Facebook, for businesses Facebook is still the most effective medium for engagement and there are no real competitors in the current space to match it.

I got these stats from here - the reports on here are well worth a look if you want to take some time to read some data about the Instagram vs. Facebook discussion.. http://www.pewinternet.org/files/201...015-FINAL2.pdf
#business #facebook #instagram #marketing
  • Profile picture of the author HayleyS
    Thanks for providing such an interesting information here! I liked reading your point of view about the importance of Facebook and Instagram for business marketing. keep sharing such interesting posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10717977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by HayleyS View Post

      Thanks for providing such an interesting information here! I liked reading your point of view about the importance of Facebook and Instagram for business marketing. keep sharing such interesting posts.
      Thanks - glad it was helpful for you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10719170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawon21700
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10718107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by shawon21700 View Post

      Thanks for sharing this
      Thanks - appreciate your comment - it's something I am always wondering about and while Facebook has its merits, I do prefer Instagram, however you've really got to go with the flow and see what your target market is into
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10719171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prakashmalhotra
    Instagram is good for showing the features of your products and helps the people to understand it nicely and to look forward for it. But, in case of Facebook it is different as you can get enough space to present your business features effectively.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10719507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by prakashmalhotra View Post

      Instagram is good for showing the features of your products and helps the people to understand it nicely and to look forward for it. But, in case of Facebook it is different as you can get enough space to present your business features effectively.
      I agree, I guess I am still hoping Instagram can meet the features and benefits of Facebook one day. I totally agree with your point though, and visually I see Instagram as a very complimentary platform for brand development and affiliate marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10721287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gallag97
    instagram is more for showing a brief idea 0f what the main points in business are, however Facebook is a lot more convenient for getting the same main points across with a lot more detail
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10721231].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by Gallag97 View Post

      instagram is more for showing a brief idea 0f what the main points in business are, however Facebook is a lot more convenient for getting the same main points across with a lot more detail
      Totally agree with you
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10721288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HazelWatson
      Very good information!
      Instagram hashtags are awesome tool to connect with your target audience and make is much easier to communicate with them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akashvajpayee
    Both social networking sites are effective and have a lot of possibilities for your brand to interact with people. There’s no doubt about that. And the two are closely related together since Facebook owns Instagram. Despite the close bond between them, they’re two separate platforms that need to be approached differently.

    When it comes to social media marketing, Facebook is the big guy on campus. It has the greatest user base and has withstood the test of time. Since Facebook is a lot older than Instagram, it’ll have some benefits in terms of user base and popularity. However, Instagram’s growth has been highly strong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10725091].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Thanks for your comment, I do hope Instagram continue to add features as it is my preferred platform (obviously) however there really is no substitute for FB at the current time and it really does stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of benefits for marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10725223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HCDdaking
    Totally agree with your information.We must pay attention our target audience. face-book is better for teenagers.I only used facebook to my promoting campaign.This post change my idea to use intragram also.Very informative post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LeonardTrox
    I'm looking to buy one Instagram profile.

    How can I check the insights, followers, fake followers and others?

    Do you know some free tools for that?

    Kind Regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomAndrews
    If you're selling physical goods, instagram could be a good way of showing them off.

    Apart from that, Facebook is much better because you can communicate with your market much easier, and in a lot more depth.

    Tom
    Signature

    Let's connect on Facebook because it's always good to meet fellow marketers. Send me a friend request: https://www.facebook.com/tom.andrews.7927

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by TomAndrews View Post

      If you're selling physical goods, instagram could be a good way of showing them off.

      Apart from that, Facebook is much better because you can communicate with your market much easier, and in a lot more depth.

      Tom
      Totally agree with you there Tom. Instagram is all about the visual however it is currently limited is so many ways. Long live FB I guess... well for now anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10732045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LoraG
    As I know Facebook is bigger social media, so you can spread information to great auditory. In instagram most of users are - young people. So when you use Facebook - you will show information for mature people too
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10732396].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by LoraG View Post

      As I know Facebook is bigger social media, so you can spread information to great auditory. In instagram most of users are - young people. So when you use Facebook - you will show information for mature people too
      Yep, you're right there - the facts speak for themselves.

      Insta is a younger audience on average - here's some info from my thread which outlines the breakdown, majority of FB users are college graduates while there is a younger audience for Instagram:

      Facebook - 1.4 billion monthly active users

      87% of 18 to 29-year-olds are using Facebook - with a lean towards women
      70 to 74% are college or high school graduates

      Instagram - 300 million monthly active users

      53% of 18 to 29-year-olds are using Instagram - the gender is fairly even
      23 to 31% are college or high school graduates
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10733214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sara20
    As for me, you can use both of them! In my opinion, in FB you can write richer and most interesting content, in Instagram very important to use bright and cool image and tags! Also, FB and Instagram are very popular the same!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10733833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Funtobesocial
    Very detailed article with some good points. I do both Facebook and Instagram Marketing. I see benefits to both, but Instagram really has been showing some good results lately.

    Note: Soon Instagram will be putting in their own Analytics. It will be nice to have that right on the Instagram platform.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10735509].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by Funtobesocial View Post

      Very detailed article with some good points. I do both Facebook and Instagram Marketing. I see benefits to both, but Instagram really has been showing some good results lately.

      Note: Soon Instagram will be putting in their own Analytics. It will be nice to have that right on the Instagram platform.
      Thanks, I must admit I am really looking forward to Instagram offering the Analytics side of things. There's plenty of positives for both platforms for business, it will be interesting if the demographic breakdown for each platform remains the same or if an older audience move over to Instagram when their functionality improves for business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10735549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author giannaali
    I believe in Facebook for business. I mean Facebook is too effective for business than Instagram.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10735566].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeidiMendez
    My personal experience - last year facebook yielded the most fruitful results for marketing. In 2016 however there has been a little change in trend for the brands I represent.

    Facebook works for brands catered to 40+ age range. For everything else Instagram gets the most engagement. Also since Facebook bought Instagram - you get the insights also.

    Surprisingly snapchat is picking up the game and I predict end of this year its going to be Instagram adveritsing vs Snapchat. Snapchat because it is not intrusive - in your face- and people will only view it if they are interested.

    Facebook buy button is probably going to be a game changer but I have not as yet used it for any of my brands so I dont know how that plays out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10735587].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by HeidiMendez View Post

      My personal experience - last year facebook yielded the most fruitful results for marketing. In 2016 however there has been a little change in trend for the brands I represent.

      Facebook works for brands catered to 40+ age range. For everything else Instagram gets the most engagement. Also since Facebook bought Instagram - you get the insights also.

      Surprisingly snapchat is picking up the game and I predict end of this year its going to be Instagram adveritsing vs Snapchat. Snapchat because it is not intrusive - in your face- and people will only view it if they are interested.

      Facebook buy button is probably going to be a game changer but I have not as yet used it for any of my brands so I dont know how that plays out.
      I'd love to get excited about Snapchat, I just can't yet. Do you have any info on results for businesses who use Snapchat?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10737108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abhinav98
    The information is a must and well compiled to know regarding each and every aspect of marketing over fb and instagram with the point clear description from the author.....wonderful work and keep it up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xbokcom
    I have started instagram and I must say that facebook have more attention but more and more people are going to instgram so if your ad is appealing you might get good likes on instagram. But the only bad thing is on instagram you cannot put url that is pointed to lead capture page with facebook you can.

    My advice is test and tweak and see what works for your business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 3wCorner
    I like IG better than FB for its simplicity and style. I have a few followers in IG than FB but got my first lead on IG, so I say IG is way better. Given than you are posting interesting photos and videos in your IG account.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A Cop
    Instagram can be a monster if you use it properly and have the right niche with the right campaign strategy. I’ve seen companies get so many orders the factory was unable to keep pace with the actual demands, just because a 20 year old girl posted a picture with this product. Never quite seen something similar and I’m sure Facebook is unable to produce something similar.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10751603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author accutranskpo
    Instagram is helping out people to choose regarding the products and actually how it looks, even more flexible and easier than facebook
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10752107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onehalf
    For me, facebook marketing is still more effective than IG.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10759619].message }}

Trending Topics