With 400 million monthly users and 75 million daily users, Instagram is no slouch with it comes to reach as a social media platform. The platform is constantly evolving and enhancing its offering, and account holders are bloggers are cashing and making some serious coin from their accounts.
While there is no 'how to' for making Instagram, there are a few things to keep in mind if you are trying to develop a following and get a strong brand.
First step ahead of making money is to attract followers to your account.
A couple of simple ways to do this include:
- Adding a suitable profile image that suits your target market
- Filling in your bio so that it includes an engaging overview plus add in contact info for advertising/business enquiries
- Start posting regularly a few posts per day ideally
- Ensure your photos are on point and attractively composed - something that will make your followers stop mid-way through their scan of their Instagram account
- Respond to any comments from your followers - this will engage with your followers
- Use hashtags in each post that is within fields of interest for your followers
Ways to make money on Instagram include:
- Affiliate marketing - bloggers and Instagram accounts that have plenty of followers can generate a staggering amount of money from promoting a product. Affiliate marketing involves Instagram account holders who promote a product with any subsequent sales via an affiliate link contributing to a payment per sale. Affiliate marketing URL's can be added to a post or as a link in the image. Posts can be anything from an image of an outfit, right through to hotels or restaurants that the account holder may be visiting, just about anything can be promoted in affiliate marketing.
- Sponsored posts - these posts are a specially tailored post which showcases specific brands of clothing, accessories or brands. There is usually a very obvious hashtag or mention which outlines that the post is sponsored to alert followers. Sponsored posts should be a good fit for the account and fit with the brand's beliefs.
Developing your Insta-style is key to your account's success. Engagement from your followers will be developed from creating images that resonate with followers and encourage likes, comments and regrams. Successful bloggers will usually develop a style that their followers expect, and images will reflect the personality of the Instagram brand and the account holder.
Be aware when taking steps to earn money from Instagram that there is such thing as too many sponsored posts and affiliate marketing campaigns, so be aware of creating a balanced amount of these posts to not been deemed too focused on sponsorship, and not focused enough on genuinely unique content.
Are you making money on Instagram? I'd love to know how you're doing it.