Violation of rules on Twitter

by Martycz 10 replies
Hi,

I have been using Twitter to draw traffic to my website maily by simply following a lot of people interested in my niche and interacting with them. It has happened to my twice that I followed a lot of people and twitter recognized unsual behavior and made me change my twitter password before I could start using my account again.

I have no problem changing my password, but I am afraid that twitter could after some time suspend my account pernamently. Do you think changing a password could mean a "warning", "flag"?

I am familiar with twiiter rules and best practices. I have around 2000 followers and following around 2000 people back. I don't follow more than 200 people a day which should be fine, not at the same time of course. Still from time to time a get twitter notification that I have to change my password.

Am I violating Twitter rules and risking pernament suspention?

Thank you everyone in advance
#social media #rules #twitter #violation
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author wentzco
    No I don't think what you are doing is an issue nor is password changes a warning flag. Twitter may notice if login attempts are occurring from different locations & then they do required password changes to protect you.

    Are you using a service to do your follows? There was a couple of times (for 1-2 week period) I would also get these notifications to change my password pretty much on a daily basis. One time I'm pretty sure someone was trying to hack my account which caused these notifications.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martycz
    That's true, Twitter recognizes when you are trying to log in from a different place and makes you change your password. Happened to me just a couple weeks back when I was traveling. However this "unusual behaviour" is not connected to change of location, but simply to following other people.

    I am not using any services which would do my following. I usually find related posts to my business and follow all the people who liked or share the post. Can highly recommend this technique btw since you get targeted followers.

    Hopefully it is not any warning as you said. Do you by chance know how would Twitter warning look like? Don't think Twitter would suspend your account right away if you happened to follow to many people
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wentzco
      Originally Posted by Martycz View Post

      Do you by chance know how would Twitter warning look like? Don't think Twitter would suspend your account right away if you happened to follow to many people
      Well they wouldn't really warn you but would nail you with a suspension. Sometimes suspensions could be a for a time period or sometimes permanently. They do tell you when you hit daily follow limits (1000) or their 5000 follow limit depending on your following/follower ratio (used to be 2000).

      Follow churn is an issue they pay attention to. I use Crowdfireapp to follow people utilizing "copy followers" feature & am a paid member so I don't to worry about following/unfollowing the same people. I do follow/followback a larger amount of people in a day on some days compared to your 200 (all at the same time). I also cherry pick who I follow/followback. I've got a large account so I only do unfollowing of non-followers every few months. 5+ years ago, I definitely pushed the limits unfollowing non-followers too rapidly. It's kind of funny that I was fairly dormant on Twitter for about 3 years & my account followers still grew in numbers primarily because I followed people back. I'm starting to unfollow "inactive" users who I'm following who haven't tweeted in months, years or in many cases... not at all. Over 1/2 of the people I'm following haven't tweeted in 30 days or more - lots of old accounts.

      I think it's important to have a high followback ratio of those you follow as well. There's different techniques to do so & I would imagine your technique probably has a good ratio. Just make sure you don't follow people & unfollow them in a short time period. Wait at least a week.

      In addition, Twitter can identify spam accounts that are in the follow/unfollow game much better nowadays. Interacting with others like you do is in your favor if you want to start following larger amounts of people than you currently do IMO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916128].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Martycz
        Originally Posted by wentzco View Post

        . Just make sure you don't follow people & unfollow them in a short time period. Wait at least a week. .
        It's interesting you mentioned it. I originally did what you just recommended since one should give people time to even notice that you started following them. Than I ran into this website: https://manageflitter.com/. You can unfollow 100 people a day for free (300 if you like them on Twitter). The good thing is that you can see when people last logged in to their Twitter accounts. So if I see that people logged in one hour ago and did not follow me back, I will just unfollow them right away. It is a good way how to build base of followers when you are just beginning I would say. This way I can make sure I am not following more people than follow me. If you have some base of followers already, it would be waste of your time though as it can be little time-consuming. I would recommend this just to beginners.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916481].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wentzco
          Originally Posted by Martycz View Post

          It's interesting you mentioned it. I originally did what you just recommended since one should give people time to even notice that you started following them. Than I ran into this website: https://manageflitter.com/. You can unfollow 100 people a day for free (300 if you like them on Twitter). The good thing is that you can see when people last logged in to their Twitter accounts. So if I see that people logged in one hour ago and did not follow me back, I will just unfollow them right away. It is a good way how to build base of followers when you are just beginning I would say. This way I can make sure I am not following more people than follow me. If you have some base of followers already, it would be waste of your time though as it can be little time-consuming. I would recommend this just to beginners.
          Yeah I mainly use CrowdfireApp for everything but have had an issue unfollowing "inactive" followers with the service because of the size of my main Twitter account (except for 1 day). For that reason - I've used ManageFlitter which has successfully pulled up my inactive followers at least about 3 out of 7 or 8 days that I tried... the other days it just never finished the process. When it did work - it arranges inactive people in a list from when you followed them so you can unfollow inactive users based on the earliest date instead of those you recently followed. You also can place it in order from # of tweets which is what I did the last couple of times to unfollow those people who have never even tweeted (many egg avatar accounts). CrowdfireApp does allow you to show people who haven't tweeted in 30 days, 3 months & 6 months which I like compared to only the 30 day choice at ManageFlitter.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10919292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lenin87
    Originally Posted by Martycz View Post

    Hi,

    I have been using Twitter to draw traffic to my website maily by simply following a lot of people interested in my niche and interacting with them. It has happened to my twice that I followed a lot of people and twitter recognized unsual behavior and made me change my twitter password before I could start using my account again.

    I have no problem changing my password, but I am afraid that twitter could after some time suspend my account pernamently. Do you think changing a password could mean a "warning", "flag"?

    I am familiar with twiiter rules and best practices. I have around 2000 followers and following around 2000 people back. I don't follow more than 200 people a day which should be fine, not at the same time of course. Still from time to time a get twitter notification that I have to change my password.

    Am I violating Twitter rules and risking pernament suspention?

    Thank you everyone in advance
    Believe, you no need to take it as warning. may be someone tried to logging in your account or you used another IPS/proxy's to logging in. it's a simple use. Always try to keep above 10 characters in your password and make it complex. Believe you won't face same in next.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Funtobesocial
    I don't think it is a warning there could really be some unusual activity that they see on your account.

    That being said don't follow and unfollow too many accounts daily because that could raise a flag. if you follow and unfollow more than 200 per day it could raise a flag. It's not written how many you can follow and unfollow, but don't be too excessive. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10919567].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imtcstudent
      Originally Posted by Funtobesocial View Post

      I don't think it is a warning there could really be some unusual activity that they see on your account.

      That being said don't follow and unfollow too many accounts daily because that could raise a flag. if you follow and unfollow more than 200 per day it could raise a flag. It's not written how many you can follow and unfollow, but don't be too excessive. Better to be safe than sorry.


      I ran into this issue just last week and Funtobesocial is correct. "Unusual" activity is most likely the cause. I discovered that a few "rogues" were trying to get into my account from California, Moscow, Tokyo and Paris, all in the span of a week! Now, I don't mind travelling, but that's excessive in anyone's book and if it were me, I'd have a lot of frequent flyer miles coming to me.


      It's not something to be overly worried about, but make sure you watch the feedback you're getting from Twitter (and any other social network).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10919855].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author uzzal1530
    200 people per day following is too much. Try to 70-75 your account will be fine.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10922235].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wentzco
      Originally Posted by uzzal1530 View Post

      200 people per day following is too much. Try to 70-75 your account will be fine.
      Nonsense! It has nothing to do with following 200 people per day. I say increase your daily following #s as long as followback ratio is good, the account isn't an automated spam farm, profile is good, no/low spam complaints, yada yada... which is true in Martycz's case. His account & methods are fine.

      You know there are MANY people that follow 500-1000 people every day & have been doing that for years without a problem. If you have a brand new account than yes - follow in lower #s. As I've stated, don't unfollow people in a rapid basis because they didn't follow you back by the next day (follow churn). Even if they have logged in & didn't follow you back... give them time. Many people use services to do their followbacks & not Twitter's followers page.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10922293].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics