Unnecessary Instagram ads

by WF- Enzo Administrator
37 replies
I think the essence of Instagram is gone now. When I view an Instagram story an ad pops out after about 5-6 stories. Random ads appear in my news feed. While I get the intent of advertisers, I feel like I'm seeing more ads than my friend's newly-uploaded photo. Whatever content I want to view on Instagram is now populated with ads. Do you have similar experiences like this? Share your thoughts.
#ads #instagram #unnecessary
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Wizbang
    I finally joined instagram to help promote myself, and I personally found it to be horrible. Not PC friendly in the least. I think it's designed around millennials who just wanna goof off on their phones.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518257].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
      I think it's designed around millennials who just wanna goof off on their phones.
      That may be true, but millenials are also a very large online purchasing demographic and can easily be influenced through advertising the next big shortcut. Just because YOU or I may not get personal value out of it, it's important to think about why you're using that platform...for personal enjoyment? or to make money?

      You may have strong opinions about the platform, but you can't deny it works and sells.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518339].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Wizbang
        Or is it a desperate last ditch to make money and keep it alive? There's dozens of things like Instagram these days and with more usability. I have 2 teen age boys and they don't use Instagram, and no one I know does either. Maybe it's dying.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518568].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
          Maybe it's dying.
          Really? It's ranked top 5 in 2019 (depending which metric and source is used...but always in top 5) as the most used and highest engagement platform in the world. Again, just because you don't use or like it, doesn't mean the other 7 billion people agree.

          I don't think people use it as a desperate attempt to make money? It's a very hot platform with millions of active daily users. It makes business sense to get a product or service in front of as many of those eyes as possible. No?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518609].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
            Originally Posted by palmtreelife View Post

            Really? It's ranked top 5 in 2019 (depending which metric and source is used...but always in top 5) as the most used and highest engagement platform in the world. Again, just because you don't use or like it, doesn't mean the other 7 billion people agree.

            I don't think people use it as a desperate attempt to make money? It's a very hot platform with millions of active daily users. It makes business sense to get a product or service in front of as many of those eyes as possible. No?
            Agreed. Its easy to think Instagram is dying if you don't use it. From a personal, consumer and business perspective Instagram is still huge for engagement and still highly profitable. You just need to be familiar with the platform and know what you're looking for.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518703].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author interneda
          Maybe it's dying.
          No way. there is a reason the algorithm gets worked on so frequently, it's Zucks current cash cow
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11521471].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
        Administrator
        Works for me. As much as I hate disruptive ads randomly popping in my newsfeed, I was compelled to buy a new case for my phone because I saw its ad on IG.

        Originally Posted by palmtreelife View Post

        That may be true, but millenials are also a very large online purchasing demographic and can easily be influenced through advertising the next big shortcut. Just because YOU or I may not get personal value out of it, it's important to think about why you're using that platform...for personal enjoyment? or to make money?

        You may have strong opinions about the platform, but you can't deny it works and sells.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
      Administrator
      Not PC friendly? Can you elaborate more?

      Originally Posted by Wizbang View Post

      I finally joined instagram to help promote myself, and I personally found it to be horrible. Not PC friendly in the least. I think it's designed around millennials who just wanna goof off on their phones.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
    I definitely have seen the ads increase over time. I'm so accustomed to just blocking them out though that I truly don't really notice them. I don't really notice them on websites either.....except for this forum where there is a photo of a sexy woman's legs in a car, promoting Sling Ads. That ad has been there for the last few months, but I've still never clicked it
    Ads will always be there because they work...they may not work for you or I, but others will click those legs and join that affiliate program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
    I think advertisements are the new normal. Instagram advertisements use to bother me at first but now they are just apart of the furniture. There are a few that stand out but otherwise I don't notice them as much now. The one place they drive me crazy though is kijiji, they must have some sneaky algorithm when you scroll down they get placed right where your finger lands and you end up clicking on them and opening a page - the worst.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518424].message }}
  • The instagram has already been go to make step in business. As per business marketing, they are showing ads to promote other business. According to me in a few time instagram move for paid business profile, own sponsored pages etc.

    Using business ads/Marketing many companies are generating lots of money as i am also getting so, you can't stop those ads and you have to do your work/sharing with same.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petersen123
    I am facing the same issue with Instagram. Because of the advertisements, I skip using Instagram
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518495].message }}
  • Instagram's AI needs to do better. But i think it also has a lot to do with user behavior, especially by power users and influencers. They really push a lot od old and irrelevant content. They don't regulate the ads as well as the do on Facebook.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ravi Talwar
    thank you for sharing this topic, you just need to install ad blocker for android phones
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob1313
    And what do you want. All these products are designed to make a profit in the long run.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author qtechservers
    I agree, they were made to make money. Earlier, the same was with facebook and gradually a lot of users stopped using it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11518619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mariazo
    In my opinion, Instagram is not viable anymore.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519053].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
      Originally Posted by mariazo View Post

      In my opinion, Instagram is not viable anymore.
      Curious what makes you say this? For any specific niche or in general?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519406].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
      Administrator
      Why in your opinion is Instagram not viable anymore?

      Originally Posted by mariazo View Post

      In my opinion, Instagram is not viable anymore.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beth11
    Fortunately, I have never faced with such problem.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DigitalBaharat
    I have the same experience. As Instagram growing and becoming popular they start to post more ads in your timelines. Sometimes it is good to see ads but sometimes it is the most irritating things when you opened Instagram to see the stories and photos uploaded by your friends.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pramodtapu
    Yes , Instagram Ads bother me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author King Manu
    They bother me, but not that much compared with other platforms because they are very targeted. For example, I rarely follow anything in social media than things that inspire me or teach me something. So I get a lot of ads that are interesting to me.

    Compared with the ads on YouTube, that are totally random and annoying, IG ads are on point on what I like to see on my feed, and that is mostly personal development.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11519899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF- Mark
      Administrator
      Originally Posted by King Manu View Post

      They bother me, but not that much compared with other platforms because they are very targeted. For example, I rarely follow anything in social media than things that inspire me or teach me something. So I get a lot of ads that are interesting to me.

      Compared with the ads on YouTube, that are totally random and annoying, IG ads are on point on what I like to see on my feed, and that is mostly personal development.
      Totally agreeing on this. Youtube ads tend to be more annoying for me when i watch videos. At least make the ad something more relatable based on the videos we watch on their website.

      No one wants to see ads for milk or tuna while watching Drag racing videos. Just throw in some Hellcat or Mustang ad in there to make it worthwhile.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tmt Aba
    Business individuals see Instagram as a platform for building and growing a business. So, it is obvious that you will see ads there. But, I think an ad per 5 stories isn't that bad idea especially when the platform has millions of ads running. Additionally, most of the times user's don't even feel that they are watching an ad because they are relevant most of the times. But even if you feel this way, you can reach out to the help center of the Instagram team and they will surely look after it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ankitshah
    Hey, I understand your concern but this the case with all the social media channels nowadays. If you dont want to see certain ads you can remove from your feed/stories and Instagram will not show your similar ads in the future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
      Administrator
      How do I remove them? Can you share steps?

      Originally Posted by Ankitshah View Post

      Hey, I understand your concern but this the case with all the social media channels nowadays. If you dont want to see certain ads you can remove from your feed/stories and Instagram will not show your similar ads in the future.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520270].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
        I don't think he means remove the ads all together. He just means you can click the 3 dots in the ad and say "remove ad" then IG asks you why you want to remove ad and you can choose "not relevant"..."see it too often" ...or "it's inappropriate". Either option likely means you won't see THAT ad again, but you can be sure you'll see others.

        If I'm wrong, and there's a way to remove all ads, I'm looking forward to Ankit's response!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SourRov
    I like instagram and i don't take it as my pain.it's simple
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsebo Mallane
    I think this was inevitable.

    Yes, we can debate and say that Instagram isn't the platform it used to be when it first started to gain momentum. Back then it felt a lot more personal and it felt like a genuine friendly app. It was more about sharing moments with friends and family, and that is why it became so popular because of how simple that concept was.

    But Facebook bought Instagram, and we all know how Facebook is a lot more aggressive with advertising. Society has also evolved since then. When Instagram first started there wasn't this huge influencer market, or people online with so many followers that they practically run their business off Instagram exposure. It also wasn't as competitive initially.

    Instagram has its problems, and I for one agree that you cant be on Instagram for longer than 5 minutes without being overstimulated by content and ads everywhere.
    Just bear in mind that Instagram is now designed like that on purpose, it's done in a way to keep you on or for you to always be thinking about what is new on the app.

    So I think a part of everyone wishes that Instagram would go back to the way it used to be when things were more genuine and easier to follow. Unfortunately, everyone has to keep moving forward regardless of the new presidents, new marketing schemes, new celebrities and influencers, new generation etc. The best option is to do the best you can on Instagram's current platform and evolve with it by staying true to the content you want to put out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rozok
    I feel like I have oneor two btween almost every 3 or 4 stories? I dont reallyknow, but it does bother me even as a marketer.. When the advertisment is nice, I will stop and look, of course, but only if I like design, if its ugly and too much text, i quickly swipe right.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Naman1234
    I am facing the same issue. can't help in it. That's the Instagram business model and the business model of every social media platform. Maybe in future, that'll change, but right now. there is nothing you can do about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11520311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaxFeerden
    There are a lot of awful ads on Instagram now. But there were pages with very useful information. I was so lucky that I was looking for a photographer and accidentally found an excellent photographer's page in advertising and its price suited me. Just Instagram and bloggers do not filter ads that take in the work. They take everything horrible would pay them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11521579].message }}
  • Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

    I think the essence of Instagram is gone now. When I view an Instagram story an ad pops out after about 5-6 stories. Random ads appear in my news feed. While I get the intent of advertisers, I feel like I'm seeing more ads than my friend's newly-uploaded photo. Whatever content I want to view on Instagram is now populated with ads. Do you have similar experiences like this? Share your thoughts.

    True!

    Nevertheless, that should be a plus for online marketers. My understanding is individuals

    who are on Warrior Forum are here because they are online marketers/entrepreneurs.

    Hopefully, Facebook don't take away the advertising part of Instagram. And not for nothing,

    it is very easy to advertise on Instagram; compared to Facebook. So maybe that is the

    reason ads are popping everywhere on IG

    Hope that was helpful.


    Stay cool and successful....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11521797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    Instagram may have been a lot different years ago, but it doesn't change the fact that there are still 1 billion active users per month.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11522238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Medon
    I have also made the same observations and was wondering if anyone out there was seeing the same thing. Anyway, it is those ads that keep them going otherwise we would be forced to pay the subscription fee. So the best you can do is to block them and continue enjoying your stories.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11523033].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics