Will Snapchat be able to bounce back?

by WF Will Administrator
21 replies
Snapchat's trajectory for growth has had a lot of ups and downs these past few years, especially with Instagram directly copying their "stories" feature.

This move by Instagram drastically stunted Snap's growth and by 2018, Instagram Stories was already twice as big as Snapchat.



However, there is a glimmer of hope.

Snapchat has recently been popping back up in the mainstream media after they launched their viral "Gender Swap" and "Baby" Filters and was even used & shared by lots of celebrities - giving them a ton of free press.


According to Telegraph's recent article, in this quarter alone they gained over 13M+ New Users bringing their Total Daily Active Users to 203M. Snapchat's CFO, even attributes 7 to 9 million of the 13M new users were acquired because of the lens filter campaign.

Another app you may have heard of called FaceApp has recently caught massive amounts of attention because of their age-changing filter. This new feature has helped them acquire 12.7 Million New Users in a span of ONE WEEK via Business Insider.



Judging by these two campaigns, it seems like this would be a good strategy for Snapchat to continue with.

Do you think Snapchat still has a chance to bounce back from their decline?
#back #bounce #faceapp #growth #snapchat #social media
Avatar of Unregistered
  • I can see the appeal of using Snapchat. I enjoyed the games and how they really pushed for interaction. But they have to find a feature that would keep users coming back for more.

    And yes, Instagram stories did help contribute to the downfall of Snapchat. But I think it all started when it was exposed that they don't actually destroy Snaps within 24 hours. Snapchat Discover, though a great feature, also wasn't utilized as much as it should have. If smaller content creators were given access to use and contribute, they might have been able to keep more users.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Huenelde
    Instagram has really started to take off lately, and the Snapchat is on a recession. But this did not greatly affect the popularity of Snapchata. Especially after their new child masa blew social networks. Now most users of social networks use masks from Snapchata.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MaxFeerden
      I totally agree with you. Indeed Instagram has raised its ratings. Now Snapchchat also has a fairly high rate of activity and popularity.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maca56
    I do not see how it can compete with some of these bigger companies like Instagramm, basically all else is simply very very bad no matter how you put it, but they could do it really, only them, I see FaceApp are gainining popularity again, that's for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fakeshoes
    I agree that Snapchat had a fall-down when Instagram published story feature that actually made it much more addicting.

    Still I know many people use SC, especially with the game feature and I can see them making some cool filters in near future
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
    Will, you recently did a marketing case study on Snapchat, spending time and money, showing users how to make sales from clever advertising. So, I'm guessing you feel Snapchat is going to do just fine...at least for a while? Have you kept up your Snapchat marketing campaigns?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF Will
      Administrator
      Originally Posted by palmtreelife View Post

      Will, you recently did a marketing case study on Snapchat, spending time and money, showing users how to make sales from clever advertising. So, I'm guessing you feel Snapchat is going to do just fine...at least for a while? Have you kept up your Snapchat marketing campaigns?
      This Snapchat case study was a guest post with Snapvertising.
      At this point, I don't think Snapchat can beat Instagram in terms of scale but that doesn't mean they can't turnaround and become profitable.

      I'd be really interested to see if Snapchat can create a advertising platform that would be more compelling to advertisers. It seems like the majority of snapchat ads I've been seeing is insurance, dating, and corporate brands).

      One thing I've been thinking about a lot on Snapchat is advertising via their message/chat feature, similar to how Facebook Messenger works. I believe that Snapchat users would behave in a similar way as to FB Users - in the sense that they can't leave a message unopened, so I would expect similar open rates of 70-90%.

      This would definitely open up more possibilities in terms of longer form ads and what types of ads they can create. Currently the only ad placement is via Stories which only lasts for 10 seconds and you can swipe up to a landing page.

      It would be hilarious to me if Snapchat copies Facebook's Messenger Marketing & Chatbot Model like how IG did their stories.

      I've also heard that their Original Series are doing relatively well in viewership.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dana67
    Either it will bounce back or go the way of Myspace. Time will tell.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E Versity
    yes i think it will come
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Muhammad Hasan
    yes snapchat have a great chance to bounce back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
    Originally Posted by WF Will View Post

    Snapchat's trajectory for growth has had a lot of ups and downs these past few years, especially with Instagram directly copying their "stories" feature.

    This move by Instagram drastically stunted Snap's growth and by 2018, Instagram Stories was already twice as big as Snapchat.



    However, there is a glimmer of hope.

    Snapchat has recently been popping back up in the mainstream media after they launched their viral "Gender Swap" and "Baby" Filters and was even used & shared by lots of celebrities - giving them a ton of free press.


    According to Telegraph's recent article, in this quarter alone they gained over 13M+ New Users bringing their Total Daily Active Users to 203M. Snapchat's CFO, even attributes 7 to 9 million of the 13M new users were acquired because of the lens filter campaign.

    Another app you may have heard of called FaceApp has recently caught massive amounts of attention because of their age-changing filter. This new feature has helped them acquire 12.7 Million New Users in a span of ONE WEEK via Business Insider.



    Judging by these two campaigns, it seems like this would be a good strategy for Snapchat to continue with.

    Do you think Snapchat still has a chance to bounce back from their decline?
    Based on that information it seems as if they are already in the process of bouncing back from the decline. Whether it's enough to keep those new users actively engaged will likely be determined by how long the fad of those filters will last, in my opinion anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530193].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sophie marton
    I think Snapchat has a great chance to bounce back and when we check the states that shown above so we say that they start their bounce back journey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gsitesseo
    I remember snapchat when it was a simple message-disappearing gimmick that I had installed on my old windows phone, before they took down the unofficial app but never made an official one. Years later, seeing how snapchat evolved on an iOS app, it was a whole different story. Not something I was interested in. Probably too old!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
    Snap has more than 200 million DAU's right now and reported a 48% year over year revenue growth in Q2 due to it's advertising business, so I'd say they're doing pretty well right now and in a good position to keep improving.

    According to their CEO, "the enhancements Snap has made to its self-serve ad platform has helped increase ad engagement and revenue growth. Last quarter, the company launched Snap Select, giving advertisers access to premium video inventory with the ability to reserve inventory at a fixed CPM via its Ads Manager. It also introduced a proposal feature for media buyers to review and approve Snap Select plans."

    This is good news for advertisers, especially those that want to target snap's main demographic, 13 to 34 year olds. I think the growth will continue for the time being.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grandstar
    Glad to hear they are bouncing back.

    Only saddened that their ads cost has shot up. At a time, you could buy clicks for as low as 5 cents. This now seems impossible. It hurts real bad as I didn't take advantage of it then.

    Whats even worse, the options for targeting seems to have reduced. I had to cancel an ad I wanted to place there last week as I couldn't find the relevant target group for that offer.

    I don't want to throw my money away
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11530833].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF Will
      Administrator
      How was your experience with Snapchat Ads? And what niche are you advertising in? Curious to hear your experience!

      I've personally only utilized Snapchat Geofilter Ads for Event Campaigns, which costs were actually really low (in 2017).

      Hopefully, they can develop their ad platform a bit more so we can get a good ROI on what we're spending.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luciesmazanska
    the answer depends on whether or not Snapchat would love to encrypt their future features like in the filter and all. As long as they can't remain unique, chances are that they are never going rise again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531549].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by luciesmazanska View Post

      the answer depends on whether or not Snapchat would love to encrypt their future features like in the filter and all. As long as they can't remain unique, chances are that they are never going rise again.
      I disagree as this is not their current reality. Currently, snapchat IS on the rise and has been since hitting a low of $4.99 back in December. They're currently trading at $17 dollars per share. That's a significant rise.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stephannie Baker
    Yeah, they can easily bounce back by adding better and newer features for their users. Many still use snapchat and adding better features will keep them interested and also can attract new users.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeffseids1000
    I don't think so Instagram has really blown it out of the water
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    Unless they can come up with something that can be a game-changer, then they could bounce back. However, with how things are, it doesn't seem to be close. Tik Tok is getting more and more attention in comparison to snapchat.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534234].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics