11 replies
Over the weekend Instagram purged a host of accounts with a collective following of over 30 million users for violating TOS.

"Instagram told disgruntled users that the accounts were removed for "not following our terms" without providing more specific details on infractions. "We're unable to restore accounts that are suspended for this reason," the notice reportedly stated."

Take a look at their updated policy here:
https://instagram-press.com/blog/201...isable-policy/
#instagram #purge
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Thanks for the heads up on this! Going to double check our Instagram account now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by John Jonas Phil VA View Post

      Thanks for the heads up on this! Going to double check our Instagram account now.
      You're welcome!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
    Administrator
    If one randomly scrolls down an Instagram business page, there are roughty 10-20% accounts which violate the TOS. I myself receive random message requests from spam accounts, and see abusive comments which are left unchecked. Great to know that these accounts won't be restored, ever again.

    Originally Posted by MichaelQuinn View Post

    Over the weekend Instagram purged a host of accounts with a collective following of over 30 million users for violating TOS.

    "Instagram told disgruntled users that the accounts were removed for "not following our terms" without providing more specific details on infractions. "We're unable to restore accounts that are suspended for this reason," the notice reportedly stated."

    Take a look at their updated policy here:
    https://instagram-press.com/blog/201...isable-policy/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

      If one randomly scrolls down an Instagram business page, there are roughty 10-20% accounts which violate the TOS. I myself receive random message requests from spam accounts, and see abusive comments which are left unchecked. Great to know that these accounts won't be restored, ever again.
      Yeah I imagine that it's a difficult thing to stay on top of and I'm glad to see that they're working on getting rid of the clutter, I get a lot of spam messages as well. I read an article in the NY Times the other day about this "Military Romance Scam" that's plagued Facebook and Instagram for a while, it was a really sad article. The one lady ended up trying to commit suicide and was eventually killed by her husband who then committed suicide himself, all because of a fake Facebook account.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toshio Haruto
    Instagram has been taking down fake accounts since at least 2014, but this is the first time it's publicly discussed removing fake likes from posts. ... They often claim not to violate Instagram's policies, though they do
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
    30 million is a very large amount of accounts however I wonder if this was actually a benefit to everyone. These were probably spam accounts or perhaps unused accounts any ways. I have not personally heard of anyone legitimate losing their account. Seems like a positive change as far as I can tell ! In the article it also mentions how they are rolling out a notification system too. A friendly FYI that you are running the risk of being disabled.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532249].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by sgalla414 View Post

      30 million is a very large amount of accounts however I wonder if this was actually a benefit to everyone. These were probably spam accounts or perhaps unused accounts any ways. I have not personally heard of anyone legitimate losing their account. Seems like a positive change as far as I can tell ! In the article it also mentions how they are rolling out a notification system too. A friendly FYI that you are running the risk of being disabled.
      I think the total following from all the deactivated accounts was about 30 million. 30 million accounts were not deleted though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petersen123
    This is the good thing that they warned, now we should keep in mind the terms and policies of them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532973].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by petersen123 View Post

      This is the good thing that they warned, now we should keep in mind the terms and policies of them.
      I agree I think it's a good thing too. These platforms have to find a better way to cut down spam and fake accounts, it's too damaging not to.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11533068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    I'm sure innocent users will also get hit but I think this is for the best. This was a good heads up but not everyone will know this. They might wake up one day with their accounts deleted.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534150].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by cearionmarie View Post

      I'm sure innocent users will also get hit but I think this is for the best. This was a good heads up but not everyone will know this. They might wake up one day with their accounts deleted.
      Thanks, I'm glad posting this could be useful for you, and hopefully for some others as well
      Signature

      "Can a man be brave even if he is afraid?" "My son, that is the only time a man can be brave."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534171].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics