TikTok's popularity and success continue to soar, and now it's achieved a new first. Users are currently spending more time on TikTok than they are using Facebook. That's according to fresh data from a new report on how apps get used. App Annie says time spent on TikTok is up by an impressive 325% year-on-year, and that beats Facebook hands-down. Even though all apps have seen time spent figures rise in recent times as more people have been dealing with COVID-19 disruptions, nothing beats TikTok on those terms.
Tiktok's huge success wasn't the only thing worth knowing in the report, and many of the insights will interest marketers and business owners out there. Here's a breakdown of what's hot and what's not in social media, according to App Annie:
- Mobile adoption is said to have advanced 2-3 years in the past 12 months. Downloads of mobile apps hit a new high of 218 billion in 2020, up 7% year-over-year.
- Americans spent 8% more time on their mobile device than watching TV in 2020 - 4 hours per day on mobile compared to 3.7 hours of TV.
- The growth of mobile bolstered the ad industry in 2020 - growing to $240 billion in mobile ad spend and projected to reach $290 billion in 2021.
- Mobile ad placements grew 95% year-over-year in the US. Video ads saw tremendous growth last year but were outpaced by the growth of interstitial ads.
- Time spent in business apps grew 275% year-over-year and is expected to remain high as companies continue to provide remote working options.
- Users Watch YouTube 4x More Than Netflix