How to fight the increasing lack of facebook pages visibility ?

12 replies
I manage some Facebook pages and as I get more fans, more I get less activity, even if fans had clicked the "follow" bottom. And is not fot the lack of interesting contents, cause we provide all kind of contents - live photos, nice videos, music (artist pages), breaking news, live posts, wining prizes contests, and so on of all fans like to know, hear and see about. It's really frustrating. One of the pages I manage has more than 240.000 fans (not paid ones, every week we keep having more 500 real fans) and the posts now are haveing 0,0001% of visibility. Is not fair, the web platform is not ours, but the network is. What about all the people using facebook because we incentive them to do so? This is a 50-50 work, why do I have to pay to reach the people that are there because I am the cause of it? Should be all the way around. Or as a win-win model, the more you help facebook to grow, the more benefits you should get and not the opposite. Facebook is wining credits for our work and difficulting it as reward. Any tips to fight this ?
#facebook #fight #increasing #lack #pages #socia media #visibility
  • Profile picture of the author iamgoutam
    It is really horrible. Did you bought those fans? People provide fake and automated fb fans. I think you should track your fans and try to understand in which things they are more interested; share an intesting pic and track their impressions, next day share an interesting video and do the same, i think you will get your answer.
    Sorry 4 my bad English
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9425970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BSocialMedia
      Originally Posted by iamgoutam View Post

      It is really horrible. Did you bought those fans? People provide fake and automated fb fans. I think you should track your fans and try to understand in which things they are more interested; share an intesting pic and track their impressions, next day share an interesting video and do the same, i think you will get your answer.
      Sorry 4 my bad English
      No never bought fans. The fans are for real and the content is all about fans want to see, hear and interact.

      This is the new algorithm working so you must spend money with facebook adds or promoted posts... :/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9426673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronrule
    Originally Posted by BSocialMedia View Post

    I manage some Facebook pages and as I get more fans, more I get less activity, even if fans had clicked the "follow" bottom. And is not fot the lack of interesting contents, cause we provide all kind of contents - live photos, nice videos, music (artist pages), breaking news, live posts, wining prizes contests, and so on of all fans like to know, hear and see about. It's really frustrating. One of the pages I manage has more than 240.000 fans (not paid ones, every week we keep having more 500 real fans) and the posts now are haveing 0,0001% of visibility. Is not fair, the web platform is not ours, but the network is. What about all the people using facebook because we incentive them to do so? This is a 50-50 work, why do I have to pay to reach the people that are there because I am the cause of it? Should be all the way around. Or as a win-win model, the more you help facebook to grow, the more benefits you should get and not the opposite. Facebook is wining credits for our work and difficulting it as reward. Any tips to fight this ?
    Your posts aren't engaging your audience - that's not Facebook's fault, it's yours.

    Facebook will show your posts to a small segment of your audience - every click, like, comment, and share will increase the number of people it's shown to.

    If that sample doesn't consider your content important enough to like/comment/share, then Facebook determines that your followers consider the content unimportant and doesn't bother showing it to the rest of your audience.

    This is actually doing you a favor - if ALL of your visitors were seeing your boring content, they would stop following you on Facebook. Now you know that what you post isn't interesting to your audience, so change your post style and watch the numbers go up.

    Remember, people don't go on Facebook to shop, they go there to socialize. Post engaging content. Post things people will want to share with their friends. That's how you win. This will snowball, because the people who DO interact with your posts are going to see them again, so every time you get engagement you're increasing the number of people who will see it and including those who are most likely to engage. Facebook's system actually benefits the pages more than most people realize, and rewards the pages that engage their audience the way Facebook users like to be engaged. They want you to win, because the more you win the more money you'll spend with them. But they have to balance how much you spend with how much your posts bore or annoy users, because if Facebook just showed everything to everyone it would be so cluttered users would leave.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9425995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BSocialMedia
      Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

      Your posts aren't engaging your audience - that's not Facebook's fault, it's yours.

      Facebook will show your posts to a small segment of your audience - every click, like, comment, and share will increase the number of people it's shown to.

      If that sample doesn't consider your content important enough to like/comment/share, then Facebook determines that your followers consider the content unimportant and doesn't bother showing it to the rest of your audience.

      This is actually doing you a favor - if ALL of your visitors were seeing your boring content, they would stop following you on Facebook. Now you know that what you post isn't interesting to your audience, so change your post style and watch the numbers go up.

      Remember, people don't go on Facebook to shop, they go there to socialize. Post engaging content. Post things people will want to share with their friends. That's how you win. This will snowball, because the people who DO interact with your posts are going to see them again, so every time you get engagement you're increasing the number of people who will see it and including those who are most likely to engage. Facebook's system actually benefits the pages more than most people realize, and rewards the pages that engage their audience the way Facebook users like to be engaged. They want you to win, because the more you win the more money you'll spend with them. But they have to balance how much you spend with how much your posts bore or annoy users, because if Facebook just showed everything to everyone it would be so cluttered users would leave.
      Sorry to disapoint you Ronrule but you're wrong on this one.
      One of the pages I manage is an artist page with more than 240.000 fans, and as every body that manages facebook pages knows, since the end of 2012 the facebook algorithm have been changing so your fans won't be able to access what you're posting so you find yourself obliged to spend money promoting your posts (and even in that case you never have full visibility to all you fans but a percentage), or making adds.

      The content for this specific page I'm talking about is all about what fans like to access - live photos, videos, music, breaking news, links with instagram...and so on... but since 2012 ( I made a deep analyse of it...), the visibility of the posts have been decreasing as every body is complaining about.

      Not a case of all these cases such as mine (and there are loads of them) as if suddenly al we facebook pages managers turned incompetent, but a case of facebook wants to eran money. Fair but not fair if you consider thet the network is made of people that in "my page" case, are there because of the artist. So, the platform exists because facebook has been created but the people are us that "collect".

      Is this what this post is all about.

      thanks for trying to help, anyway...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9426691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ronrule
        Originally Posted by BSocialMedia View Post

        Sorry to disapoint you Ronrule but you're wrong on this one.
        One of the pages I manage is an artist page with more than 240.000 fans, and as every body that manages facebook pages knows, since the end of 2012 the facebook algorithm have been changing so your fans won't be able to access what you're posting so you find yourself obliged to spend money promoting your posts (and even in that case you never have full visibility to all you fans but a percentage), or making adds.

        The content for this specific page I'm talking about is all about what fans like to access - live photos, videos, music, breaking news, links with instagram...and so on... but since 2012 ( I made a deep analyse of it...), the visibility of the posts have been decreasing as every body is complaining about.

        Not a case of all these cases such as mine (and there are loads of them) as if suddenly al we facebook pages managers turned incompetent, but a case of facebook wants to eran money. Fair but not fair if you consider thet the network is made of people that in "my page" case, are there because of the artist. So, the platform exists because facebook has been created but the people are us that "collect".

        Is this what this post is all about.

        thanks for trying to help, anyway...
        The number of fans is irrelevant, engagement is what matters. Do you think TheBlaze, Fox News, theChive, or other other major content producers are having this problem? No... they aren't paying to promote posts. They are posting content that people are liking, commenting, and sharing and that increases the visibility. Every post uses the same algorithm no matter who the publisher is. If one person or page can win on Facebook without paying to promote posts, so can anyone else. The problem is there aren't enough people who are following you that find your content interesting enough to take action.

        Study the pages that don't have this problem and alter your strategy. You may need to promote a few posts to kick start your engagement since you're currently on the low side of how Facebook scores content, but once you start getting engagement the momentum will continue on its own as long as you continue to post content that meets the criteria Facebook likes (likes/comments/shares).

        You're right that Facebook wants to earn money, but they want to earn it from the people that don't benefit their internal goals - not the people who do. Facebook is about engagement and wants to keep people on their site ... the companies that are doing that never have to pay to promote a post. Facebook likes them because those people are building audiences and keeping them engaged on facebook. Paying for promotion is the "tax" on companies that aren't successful at that. They are using Facebook resources, but not contributing to facebook's own goals. The algorithm isn't designed for FB to make more money, it's designed to show users content from publishers they want to interact with, without cluttering their news feeds with stuft they don't.

        Do this right and you will never have to pay for a promotion. Any "marketer" who tells you otherwise doesn't know as much about Facebook as he thinks he does.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9435210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JackCronfield
    Unfortunately what goes today in Facebook is link baits or something similar. Other stuff that goes well is intriguing or even vulgar content. FB is just changing the algorithm and the pages that survive are publishing such a content. You need to make your headline compelling enough for people to click on it.

    As ronrule mentioned - study other pages and you will notice that what goes well is link baits, frighting headlines and some other BS. The new FB algo is really forcing us to publish to the lowest common denominator. Do that and your FB page will recover.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9484100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miklanderson2
    Paying to boost a post every once in a while doesn't hurt either. I've found that when I boost a post for a small amount like $5 to $10, I get a lot more engagement on my other posts as a side effect. My fans are highly-engaged as it is, but I've found paying for page post engagements every once in a while on a popular ad really kicks the page up a notch in terms of engagement.

    Facebook is quickly becoming a pay-to-play network, but there's still quite a bit of money to be made if you're willing to spend some cash.
    Signature

    "A bargain is something you don’t need at a price you can’t resist."
    -Franklin Jones

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imsirigiri
    Ron is right in what he said. Engagement is all and that is what FB is concentrating now. And in the process, also making the Page admins to pay for more visibility.

    Try to engage users with call to action texts like

    What do you think?
    Comment your opinion.
    What would you do in this case?
    Did you like what you saw?

    PM me if you want me to help you in any way.
    Signature
    Need a Technical Support VA on an Hourly Basis? || Need AdSense Microniche Sites Research and Development? PM me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pappunsu
    Why not try some other method. Go to Addmefast or likeforlike and regularly give some fake likes, shares and so on. I guess it will show your posts to more real uses in return.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485596].message }}
  • Link bait is being clamped down so that wont work much longer.

    You are both right in regards to having to pay to make your post more visible to you fans and also Facebook looking at engagement metrics

    However ive been posting the same thing to my page for years now, and over the last month ive gone from an average of 25% reach to 5%
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ronrule
      Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post

      Link bait is being clamped down so that wont work much longer.

      You are both right in regards to having to pay to make your post more visible to you fans and also Facebook looking at engagement metrics

      However ive been posting the same thing to my page for years now, and over the last month ive gone from an average of 25% reach to 5%
      Clickbait is being cracked down on, but there's a difference between "clickbait" and an interesting headline; the content on the other side.

      If your content is a one paragraph article that you went to Walmart and bought a Hamster cage and there was a piece missing, and you use a headline like "A Man Buys a Hamster Cage. What Happened Next Will Blow Your Mind.", it's not interesting and will be detected as clickbait.

      But if that same headline was about how there was a stash of $8 million worth of lost doubloons inside the box, it's not "clickbait", it's just a well written subject.

      Facebook's algo will be able to determine one or the other based on the time people spend on the page and the number of shares. So it doesn't mean the title/subject style itself won't work anymore, it just needs to be relevant.

      Think of Likes/Comments/Shares like this:
      • A LIKE tells Facebook the content is interesting.
      • A COMMENT tells Facebook the content is noteworthy.
      • MULTIPLE COMMENTS (the same people discussing) tells Facebook the content is worthy of discussion.
      • A SHARE tells Facebook the content is important for others to see.

      In other words... shares are the strongest engagement and trump Likes and Comments every time, but a blend of all three will get you the best results.

      Ideally you want to focus on posting things people will share or discuss. Don't ASK for the share - asking for the Like/Comment/Share actually DECREASES visibility now.

      It's all about engagement. Change your strategy so you're posting things that people will want to discuss and share with others, not just promotional crap or things that are "cool enough to hit the Like" button.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AbbyAnderson
    The first thing I want to tell you is that you should not buy fans or followers from any service without proper inspection. They provide fake fans, so that it affect on your social reputation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486374].message }}

Trending Topics