New rules are FORM over FUNCTION

13 replies
My suggestion is to rethink the 'graphics' used too list the new rules.



The forum rules are close to illegible (even on a 24" monitor) ...gray print - white on red - tiny fonts - and big cartoon graphics. The Marketplace rules are on the left - then on the right - then on the left. I have close to perfect vision - but can barely make out some of the text. Did admin LOOK at the new rules after posting them? I can't imagine trying to read it these threads on a mobile device. Have you obtained feedback on that?

What the WF has needed for over a year are updated rules that are clear, concise and easy to understand. What we have now are rules developed from a 'design' standpoint - disorganized, hard to read and way too much text.

The new WSO rules say "scarcity is now allowed" - what was not allowed in the past was 'fake scarcity'. Is that now allowed?

To me, the purpose of an 'infographic' is to put facts in an easy to follow and understand format. Admin has taken simple rules and made them wordy and complex. There is still no 'new members start here' page that outlines the basic rules of forum etiquette/participation in clear English.

Multiple 'examples' only make the threads longer and new members will have no idea what those examples mean. Better to list the basic rules for sellers and buyers - and use the 'examples' on a page of 'policy' for those placing a Marketplace ad.

Members would be telling FL this - but as rules are in an 'announcement' format - comments are not permitted.

It could be this infographic looks amazing on the 'modern view' - don't know. I use the classic view and so do many other members. I can see the effort that went into creating these infographic threads - but the end result is unreadable and confusing in my view.


kay
#form #function #rules
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

    My suggestion is to rethink the 'graphics' used too list the new rules.

    The forum rules are close to illegible (even on a 24" monitor) ...gray print - white on red - tiny fonts - and big cartoon graphics. The Marketplace rules are on the left - then on the right - then on the left. I have close to perfect vision - but can barely make out some of the text. Did admin LOOK at the new rules after posting them? I can't imagine trying to read it these threads on a mobile device. Have you obtained feedback on that?

    What the WF has needed for over a year are updated rules that are clear, concise and easy to understand. What we have now are rules developed from a 'design' standpoint - disorganized, hard to read and way too much text.


    Community Guidelines & Rules


    I can only read about 2% of the text on a 19" monitor and 0% on my mobile device, so I am not aware of any new rules and I certainly will not point new members to the rules when warranted.
    Signature

    Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      Community Guidelines & Rules

      I can only read about 2% of the text on a 19" monitor and 0% on my mobile device, so I am not aware of any new rules and I certainly will not point new members to the rules when warranted.
      Community Guidelines & Rules

      Looks 100% better!

      Thank you kindly,
      Jeffery 100%
      Signature

      Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post


    The new WSO rules say "scarcity is now allowed" - what was not allowed in the past was 'fake scarcity'. Is that now allowed?
    Hi Kay, what does that even mean?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527609].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by MichaelQuinn View Post

      Hi Kay, what does that even mean?
      Just chiming in.


      It means scarcity and fake scarcity are fundamentally the same thing and often misused by WSO sellers because of the similarity.

      Scarcity simply implies the supply is low which may affect the cost, demand and perceived value.

      Fake Scarcity also know as Artificial Scarcity implies the supply is profoundly limited and will demand a higher cost for high demand products to obtain the perceived value.

      In the past, less scrupulous WSO Sellers would us Fake Scarcity tactics to create sales.

      In a nut shell, Fake Scarcity is bad business and for the sake of a 'clean marketplace should be made clear in the WSO Rules.
      Signature

      Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527626].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
        Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

        Just chiming in.


        It means scarcity and fake scarcity are fundamentally the same thing and often misused by WSO sellers because of the similarity.

        Scarcity simply implies the supply is low which may affect the cost, demand and perceived value.

        Fake Scarcity also know as Artificial Scarcity implies the supply is profoundly limited and will demand a higher cost for high demand products to obtain the perceived value.

        In the past, less scrupulous WSO Sellers would us Fake Scarcity tactics to create sales.

        In a nut shell, Fake Scarcity is bad business and for the sake of a 'clean marketplace should be made clear in the WSO Rules.
        Thank you for clarifying that for me Jeffrey, I appreciate it and I understand what was meant now
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Your welcome Michael. Just keep in mind that Kay may mean something entirely different and say otherwise. I trust her opinion, experience and insight to the rules.
    Signature

    Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Scarcity may mean "only 50 will be sold" - I've done that myself....or it may be seller saying "this will close in 10 days".


    Fake scarcity is saying 50 will be sold - but then selling 100----saying "this will close soon" and then changing the date again and again rather than closing the offer.


    Scarcity has never been a problem - but fake scarcity has. Not necessary as a rule perhaps as admin/mods could handle case by case. Basically if a seller does what he says he'll do - no problem.


    Maybe I'm too demanding but was hoping for a clear 1-2-3 list of up dated, simple to understand rules for forum discussions participation and rules for Marketplace threads. Been pushing for this for a long time and disappointed at the result. Very simply - if people can't read the rules - they won't worry about following them.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist
    All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527645].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Scarcity may mean "only 50 will be sold" - I've done that myself....or it may be seller saying "this will close in 10 days".


      Fake scarcity is saying 50 will be sold - but then selling 100----saying "this will close soon" and then changing the date again and again rather than closing the offer.


      Scarcity has never been a problem - but fake scarcity has. Not necessary as a rule perhaps as admin/mods could handle case by case. Basically if a seller does what he says he'll do - no problem.


      Maybe I'm too demanding but was hoping for a clear 1-2-3 list of up dated, simple to understand rules for forum discussions participation and rules for Marketplace threads. Been pushing for this for a long time and disappointed at the result. Very simply - if people can't read the rules - they won't worry about following them.
      Personally I don't think you're being too demanding for expecting those things at all. When I signed up a couple months ago, I couldn't find any clear guidance whatsoever. I had to ask multiple questions and search through multiple different threads to get an idea of what was allowed and not allowed. Even right now under the support forum, if you click on the marketplace rules and the WSO rules, it links to a blank post (I didn't try Modern View to see if it worked there because the MV is just awful). The best place that I could find anything was the FAQ thread. I completely agree with you, the rules should be easy to find and simply explained. Also, thanks for clarifying on the scarcity thing as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11527677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

    Maybe I'm too demanding but was hoping for a clear 1-2-3 list of up dated, simple to understand rules for forum discussions participation and rules for Marketplace threads.

    If that was what you were expecting, I'm not sure you have been paying attention the past 3-4 years.

    Signature
    SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
    Get a FREE Quote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelQuinn
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      If that was what you were expecting, I'm not sure you have been paying attention the past 3-4 years.

      Hahahahha, yeah I figured that out pretty quick once I got here.....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Much better - readable....but in the OT section at least - the ONLY rules were 'no politics and no religious discussion'....removing that rule is not a wise move.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Most of the rules are probably crap, in that they enforce them per se here, then allow advertising into the forum that completely ignores any forum rules, pretty well if you pay you can promote what ever you want to the people who are here, and those here are not allowed promote the same way as applied by law.

    Just go off and pay for an ad and bingo, we only have 25 left so hurry in today.

    Them and Us Rules apply. as for the info graphic, what happened to just plain text, worked for a long time for most people.

    The Add An Infraction Button:

    The add an infraction to a member button is for warning another member that they are making some mistake. Like crazy sig files or insulting other members. This helps us out a lot because it allows you to warn a member without a report post also appearing in the Mod forum.

    If members use the report post button to report a sig file it causes us a lot of unnecessary hassle when the member could have just used the infraction button and warned them directly.

    All infractions expire in one hour so if you happen to get one don't freak out and don't start a post about it. :-) Just heed what the member is trying to warn you about.

    ? do they really think we will be running around like our own little self appointed sheriff, telling other forum member off ?

    Rule number 6 ? no naming and shaming ? if you have a problem rady rady, how does that apply to giving feedaback to people offering services on this site ?

    are we now not allowed to say I paid for xyz service and it was crap in a review on their sales page ? lets hid the crap type outcome, needs more clarity here on this.

    and ? never mind
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11531994].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      ? do they really think we will be running around like our own little self appointed sheriff, telling other forum member off ?
      It happens all the time by established members.


      Rule number 6 ? no naming and shaming ? if you have a problem rady rady, how does that apply to giving feedaback to people offering services on this site ?

      are we now not allowed to say I paid for xyz service and it was crap in a review on their sales page ? lets hid the crap type outcome, needs more clarity here on this.
      Members can give a facts-based review (not emotional, name calling) on any of the threads in the marketplace if they have bought the product or service. That's covered in the marketplace rules.

      However, you can't review marketplace offers in the discussion areas.

      The rule that you refer to is about starting a thread that says "guru X didn't pay me my affiliate commissions/wouldn't give me a refund/is a scamming thief" type posts.

      Established members can post honest, fact-based reviews of non-marketplace offers in the review section but since there are always 2 sides to every story, admin doesn't allow name and shame type posts.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11532002].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics