Diet site with 15K unique visitors per DAY - all organic traffic. Looking for suggestions

30 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Short story
My site http://tinyurl.com/7qsr936
It gets about 15k visitors per day according google analytics.

3 days ago we relaunched on a new theme. Still have improvements to make.

The theme changes increased optins from 6 to 35 per day.

We just added a membership plug in to the site that requires the users to join in order to display the data from our diet calculator (most popular page on the site)
In the 3 days since we launched we have had no less than 800 memberships per day (free).
We are working on linking up registrations with mail chimp so we get 800 subscribers per day.

Google is bringing us abour $40-50 per day.
a couple of our competitos sites (similar niche with similar traffic) are earning upwards of $500k with ebooks and affilaite products.

With this much traffic coming in, it is easy to test different subscriptions.
800 registers per day for 3 days delivered ZERO paid upgrades.

Looking for suggestion on other ways to monetize this site
#15k #diet #organic #site #suggestions #traffic #unique #visitors
  • Profile picture of the author Egyfitness
    Wow I know your website. You are a famous member on BB.com forums , right ?

    I have a fitness website too. I get 25 daily subscribers with simple optin form below posts. I am launching an ebook in 2 months to make more profits.

    Why don't you create a book about flexible dieting ?

    PS: Why are your calculators broken now ? How do you deal with multiple malicious codes injected on all of these php calculators ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10437321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
    I don't know about famous, but yeah. That is me.
    I have an ebook but I am not 100% happy with it. I have to revise it quite a bit.
    Even then I am stuggling with the funnel and the approach I should take with the site.
    Layout
    Funnel
    Etc..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10437323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Egyfitness
      Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

      I don't know about famous, but yeah. That is me.
      I have an ebook but I am not 100% happy with it. I have to revise it quite a bit.
      Even then I am stuggling with the funnel and the approach I should take with the site.
      Layout
      Funnel
      Etc..
      I would advice using a simple theme. Your website is stacked with graphics and forms. WHy? How many goals do you have. Just clean all this and focus on very few goals.

      For example , why do you put a contact link on the right above share buttons ? Why do you care about people contacting you more than sharing your articles ?

      The footer still have lorem Ipsum text with many broken images and links.

      I wish I had time to help you building your funnel. but I am so consumed with mine. You can try to outsource all of this work too or consult email marketing expert.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10437329].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
        Originally Posted by Egyfitness View Post


        For example , why do you put a contact link on the right above share buttons ? Why do you care about people contacting you more than sharing your articles ?

        The footer still have lorem Ipsum text with many broken images and links.
        We sell plans where we dial peoples macros in for them. $50
        Usually get 1-3 per day.
        They contact us, and it gives us an option to sell to them directly

        But I can see what you mean, that the site is a bit cluttered
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10437368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
    nothing else?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10437743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ElGuapo
      Hi OP.

      I'd reiterate what another user said: the clutter is holding you back.

      You need to think about an ideal process of steps you'd like your visitors to take (a funnel). Currently, there's too much going on with the front page.

      I'd put an emphasis on capturing the emails of your visitors, so perhaps a timed popover and a cracking freebie. You should be able to capture thousands a day if your traffic stats are right. After that, you can determine where to send them.

      One thought: a thank-you page following the opt-in that highlights the top four or five things they can do/places they can go on your site (including at least one monetised option, such as a reviews page with affiliate links). Further down the line you can (and should) look to create your own products, but I'd look to get that solid handling of your visitors sorted first.

      One more thing: if you are getting 15,000 uniques a day and are already making $50 per day, I'd seriously consider asking a pro web designer to make over your site using a front-end builder like Thrive Themes or Beaver Builder. It'll help with everything: your bounce rate, engagement, funnel creation, ease of testing, etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10438403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author web lover
    have you use paid compaigns : Adwords or Bing ??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10438501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
    Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

    Short story
    My site http://tinyurl.com/7qsr936
    It gets about 15k visitors per day according google analytics.

    3 days ago we relaunched on a new theme. Still have improvements to make.

    The theme changes increased optins from 6 to 35 per day.

    We just added a membership plug in to the site that requires the users to join in order to display the data from our diet calculator (most popular page on the site)
    In the 3 days since we launched we have had no less than 800 memberships per day (free).
    We are working on linking up registrations with mail chimp so we get 800 subscribers per day.

    Google is bringing us abour $40-50 per day.
    a couple of our competitos sites (similar niche with similar traffic) are earning upwards of $500k with ebooks and affilaite products.

    With this much traffic coming in, it is easy to test different subscriptions.
    800 registers per day for 3 days delivered ZERO paid upgrades.

    Looking for suggestion on other ways to monetize this site
    You need to segment your traffic, reduce their options, and reduce the clutter of your site.

    You need a GOOD if not Great front end on Macros, and even then, people familar with the idea need to be segmented.

    Do you know their age? Sex? Location?

    With that kind of traffic, you are woefully under performing (you know that, the reason you posted) and you've gotten some feedback.

    My opinion is you don't have a way to winnow the traffic and get them into specific funnels.

    Sorry, but you need another redesign. Something simple and easy to navigate.

    It screams affiliate advertising site, and not expert site...it is all about you hyping products, not really offering solutions.

    The products could be some people's solution, but your in their face layout with products, isn't helping your cause. Is it?

    gjabiz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10438504].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
      Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

      You need to segment your traffic, reduce their options, and reduce the clutter of your site.

      You need a GOOD if not Great front end on Macros, and even then, people familar with the idea need to be segmented.

      Do you know their age? Sex? Location?

      With that kind of traffic, you are woefully under performing (you know that, the reason you posted) and you've gotten some feedback.

      My opinion is you don't have a way to winnow the traffic and get them into specific funnels.

      Sorry, but you need another redesign. Something simple and easy to navigate.

      It screams affiliate advertising site, and not expert site...it is all about you hyping products, not really offering solutions.

      The products could be some people's solution, but your in their face layout with products, isn't helping your cause. Is it?

      gjabiz
      Thanks so much..
      Any example sites you can link me to as an example?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Patrick
    15K visitors per day is an amazing accomplishment. How are you achieving this?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10438627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bonesaj
      Hey mate,

      Plenty of things to work on here but mainly the newsletter signup, no one wants a newsletter haha, give away a bunch of free workouts or diet plans or basic guides, anything other than a newsletter (you can take workouts/guides from your posts)

      Also I know you said your website isn't done but if you want a quick fix on that search bar on your website add the css code below, it will make it look much nicer until you get around to changing it but you might not even want to after adding the css below as its pretty good.

      PS: if you need help with any more style/website changes just PM me here, happy to help

      PSS: Copied code wrong 2 seconds ill fix

      PSSS:

      .s.search-input {
      padding: 10px !important;
      background-color: rgb(85, 85, 85);
      border: 1px solid #FFF;
      margin-top: 55px;
      }

      .searchsubmit.search-submit {
      padding: 8px 14px !important;
      }
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439429].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
        Originally Posted by Jon Patrick View Post

        15K visitors per day is an amazing accomplishment. How are you achieving this?
        I do nothing for it
        I just happend to be the lucky guy that scored the domain name.
        The traffic rolls in day after day. non stop because of the domain name.
        Site brings in about $125K /yr with ads and macro plans, but I want to at least tripple that.



        Originally Posted by bonesaj View Post

        Hey mate,

        Plenty of things to work on here but mainly the newsletter signup, no one wants a newsletter haha, give away a bunch of free workouts or diet plans or basic guides, anything other than a newsletter (you can take workouts/guides from your posts)

        Also I know you said your website isn't done but if you want a quick fix on that search bar on your website add the css code below, it will make it look much nicer until you get around to changing it but you might not even want to after adding the css below as its pretty good.

        PS: if you need help with any more style/website changes just PM me here, happy to help
        I agree.
        35 optins per day is not terrible but with 15k unique visitors we should be killing it..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439436].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bonesaj
          Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

          I do nothing for it
          I just happend to be the lucky guy that scored the domain name.
          The traffic rolls in day after day. non stop because of the domain name.
          Site brings in about $125K /yr with ads and macro plans, but I want to at least tripple that.





          I agree.
          35 optins per day is not terrible but with 15k unique visitors we should be killing it..
          Yeah I was getting around 40 optins a day when I ranked for "zyzz workout" a few years ago and that was getting 100 hits a day haha
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439440].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

          I do nothing for it
          I just happend to be the lucky guy that scored the domain name.
          The traffic rolls in day after day. non stop because of the domain name.
          Site brings in about $125K /yr with ads and macro plans, but I want to at least tripple that.
          Great Domain ? Really? Am I missing something here?? I guess you learn something new everyday
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440137].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            Great Domain ? Really? Am I missing something here?? I guess you learn something new everyday
            Wouldn't seem like it, but the term has grown in popularity over the last 5 years or so
            We also own the IG account and FB page.
            It is quite popular in a select community (bodybuilding) and it has been branching out of that community in to the gen pop for a while now.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440164].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Star Man
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            Great Domain ? Really? Am I missing something here?? I guess you learn something new everyday
            This is the rare occasion when I have to agree with discrat. I was like... are you kidding me? A random combination of 5 letters, doesn't look like an authority site to me to provide my credit card info.
            BTW: I had no idea "macros" had anything to do with diet. I thought those are little codes used in Excel to handle automated tasks. Live and learn.
            Signature

            A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. Max Planck

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440275].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author discrat
              Originally Posted by Star Man View Post

              This is the rare occasion when I have to agree with discrat.
              Like clockwork, the doubters eventually come to their senses.... bhwaahahahah
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440374].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
              Originally Posted by Star Man View Post

              Anyway, I noticed you get no organic traffic from Google. Can that be a problem? How targeted is your traffic?
              Not following you.
              64% of our traffic is organic.
              Where do you see that data from?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440420].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Star Man
                Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

                Not following you.
                64% of our traffic is organic.
                Where do you see that data from?
                Yes, indeed. I looked in a wrong database. I was working with German database and forgot to switch to US. 10K keywords and 13K organic Google traffic.

                According to my estimate your site could make at least $450 a day with Adsense alone (450 clicks @ $1 each, assuming 3% CTR).
                Considering your niche the CPC should be about $1 per click.
                However considering the size and placement of your banners I think your CTR is low, perhaps about 1%.
                Signature

                A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. Max Planck

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440650].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
                  Originally Posted by Star Man View Post

                  Yes, indeed. I looked in a wrong database. I was working with German database and forgot to switch to US. 10K keywords and 13K organic Google traffic.

                  According to my estimate your site could make at least $450 a day with Adsense alone (450 clicks @ $1 each, assuming 3% CTR).
                  Considering your niche the CPC should be about $1 per click.
                  However considering the size and placement of your banners I think your CTR is low, perhaps about 1%.

                  I would be very happy with $450 per day, though $1000 per day is the goal, for now.
                  Right now, we are only pulling in about $50 per day from google ads
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440692].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Star Man
                    Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

                    I would be very happy with $450 per day, though $1000 per day is the goal, for now.
                    Right now, we are only pulling in about $50 per day from google ads
                    Your 300x250 side ad rarely displays. I checked on two different computers and browsers.

                    Check how much each of your ad units gets clicks and also check the coverage rate. It's not available in default overview, so you have to go to "Custom Performance Reports" and select "coverage".

                    I suggest to change the layout of your site dynamically depending on whether the visitor is new of returning. Set the cookie or log the IP address to track visitors.

                    If the visitor is new, you want to capture the email first, rather than making a few cents or a dollar from the google ads. If however you already have the visitor's email, move the ads into the more prominent spots and consider removing the mail capture box altogether. Or switch the email input box and 300x250 ad block locations.

                    Also, try to replace the top banner with 728x90 banner (ad unit) and add another one at the end of each article, above the comments section.
                    Signature

                    A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. Max Planck

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440731].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
                      Originally Posted by Star Man View Post

                      Your 300x250 side ad rarely displays. I checked on two different computers and browsers.

                      Check how much each of your ad units gets clicks and also check the coverage rate. It's not available in default overview, so you have to go to "Custom Performance Reports" and select "coverage".

                      I suggest to change the layout of your site dynamically depending on whether the visitor is new of returning. Set the cookie or log the IP address to track visitors.

                      If the visitor is new, you want to capture the email first, rather than making a few cents or a dollar from the google ads. If however you already have the visitor's email, move the ads into the more prominent spots and consider removing the mail capture box altogether. Or switch the email input box and 300x250 ad block locations.

                      Also, try to replace the top banner with 728x90 banner (ad unit) and add another one at the end of each article, above the comments section.

                      Great f$*%ing advice man
                      Thanks!
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bonesaj
    I reckon with just a few simple changes you would be hitting 250-500 subs a day
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
      Originally Posted by bonesaj View Post

      I reckon with just a few simple changes you would be hitting 250-500 subs a day
      I'll check back in a few days once we make a few changes
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10439456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SmartTim
    Originally Posted by pseudonymble View Post

    Short story
    My site http://tinyurl.com/7qsr936
    It gets about 15k visitors per day according google analytics.

    3 days ago we relaunched on a new theme. Still have improvements to make.

    The theme changes increased optins from 6 to 35 per day.

    We just added a membership plug in to the site that requires the users to join in order to display the data from our diet calculator (most popular page on the site)
    In the 3 days since we launched we have had no less than 800 memberships per day (free).
    We are working on linking up registrations with mail chimp so we get 800 subscribers per day.

    Google is bringing us abour $40-50 per day.
    a couple of our competitos sites (similar niche with similar traffic) are earning upwards of $500k with ebooks and affilaite products.

    With this much traffic coming in, it is easy to test different subscriptions.
    800 registers per day for 3 days delivered ZERO paid upgrades.

    Looking for suggestion on other ways to monetize this site
    That's pretty good. Create a Ebook and upsell to them when calculating their diet!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VideoRanker
    Personally I would recommend opening the site up to guest posting. Give them a specific ad space in return for quality blog posts and maybe even a dofollow link in an 'about the author' section of the post. I write for NaturalNews Blogs and that is the format that they use. You would only have to moderate the posts to keep them non-promotional and high quality. This would greatly enhance the traffic you get and the number of keywords you can rank for. I checked the estimated traffic cost in SEMRUSH for the site not long ago and it was in the hundreds of thousands per month. Its a simple way to get fresh, quality traffic to your site without paying for it. And you would have plenty of people interested. including myself. I love writing fitness articles but don't have the time to create enough content for my own site. NaturalNews uses this very same format and they have tens of thousands of registered users. All you would need is a basic 'Write for Us' page and a plugin like BuddyPress or something similar.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
      The issue then, seems like we would have to qualify the good posts from the bad (information wise) there is a lot of garbage in the diet industry, we would need to make sure that we don't get a bunch of idiots posting outdated nutrition info.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10440450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nexstair
    You need to work on aesthetics and grab more user Trust.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10441301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
      Originally Posted by Nexstair View Post

      You need to work on aesthetics and grab more user Trust.
      Any suggestion on how to do that?

      ANT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10442062].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pseudonymble
        Update.
        We were hit with 2 dos attacks and someone managed to inject some malware on the site.
        We have fixed everything but we had more down time, than up.

        I am now looking to put the site on a wordpress specific server (dedicated). Either hostgator or wpengine. The price difference however is huge. We also are using Sucuri to help keep the bad guys out.

        In total, the site has only been up for about 10 days, but in that time, we have had 9800 registrations so far. So close to 1000 per day.
        We changed the code so that by registering, they are opting in to one of our email lists.

        I have actually created 3 lists:
        - One for people that sign up to our newsletter on the home page (needs a bit more spice though). This one gets about 35 subscriptions per day

        - One for registered users. So far 100% of our registrations come from our calculator page. Users enter data to see their diet numbers, the are required to register in order to see the data. I also give them the option to pay $1 per month for an upgraded account (not a single sale) or $99 for a custom diet plan. We also have a 50% off sale on that same plan that we email them about 10 days after they register

        - One for users that sign up through a new link in the header I just added labeled START HERE. The idea with this one is that only users that are very new to or clueless about our dieting method will click the START HERE button, so we will hit them with an email series that is specific to newbs.

        Still working out the details, and products
        1000 registrations per day ain't bad. I just have to figure out how to convert them!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459057].message }}

Trending Topics