hostgator sucks , i need your help

24 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
hey guys how are you doing ,
first i apologize for my bad english .
for the past weeks i moved my domain name to hostgator thinking it would be the best option for me according to their generous offers and good reputation , but the sevices is just away too bad of my expectations ,
first i choosed a hatching plan with a monthly billing (10.95 /mo) and when i decided to switch to the yearly billing they required (8.95/mo) while in the front page they have (3.95/mo ) for the hatchling plan !
and the customer support is very late !
the only option i have now(before the deadline of moneyback guarantee expires) is to move my host and domain to bluehost since i will only pay 74 $ for a year, and also because they have some ad words coupon which i'll need to use later on .( is it hard to move my domain to blue host or any other host ?
i really need your recommendations about anything and please dont push me for something in the sake of an affiliate sale unless it's beneficial .
thank you
#hostgator #sucks
  • Profile picture of the author DavisBrown
    Try BlueHost
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10723114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
      Originally Posted by DavisBrown View Post

      Try BlueHost
      NO! Bluehost is under exactly the same ownership as Hostgator, namely EIG (Endurance International Group). Here is a link to all the hosting companies owned by EIG and to be avoided.

      For real unbiased recommendations, go to Web Hosting Talk. It's a website NOT driven by advertising dollars from hosting companies. Instead, the information you will find is contributed by webmasters and clients of hosting companies.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10723584].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author overmind
        Originally Posted by AnniePot View Post

        NO! Bluehost is under exactly the same ownership as Hostgator, namely EIG (Endurance International Group). Here is a link to all the hosting companies owned by EIG and to be avoided.

        For real unbiased recommendations, go to Web Hosting Talk. It's a website NOT driven by advertising dollars from hosting companies. Instead, the information you will find is contributed by webmasters and clients of hosting companies.
        the reason why i mentioned blue host is due to the adword coupons , the thing that i couldnt find in other hosting companies such as web hosting talk
        do you know anyother hosting company with the same features?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10723704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
          Originally Posted by overmind View Post

          the reason why i mentioned blue host is due to the adword coupons , the thing that i couldnt find in other hosting companies such as web hosting talk
          do you know anyother hosting company with the same features?
          Web Hosting Talk is a forum discussing hosting, not a hosting company.

          From personal experience, I give my highest recommendation to BigScoots hosting. They are comparative newcomers, having only been in business for 5 years, but in that 5 years they have established themselves as a solid and reliable company. Also, in that time, they have never had a bad review. How many companies can say that?

          They are also very personable; Scott, the president and CEO is always available and Justin, the SVP/lead system engineer always responds to my emails fast. They have great feedback on Web Hosting Talk.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10723887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talking
    I'd recommend you to use services from A2hosting.com and Qhoster.com, they provide their services in a webmaster-friendly manner. Servers are well-supported and prices are rock-bottom.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10723634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bbjunkies
    I have the Hostgater baby shared plan to which i can forward all of my domain. My first month was like 1 cent and then under $10 thereafter. Someday their prices go up and down if you're lucky you can get it for around $3-$8/mo.

    With Bluehost, they dont have the monthly payment plan, they advertise that it's a monthly payment on the front when you get to the checkout it's actually an annual plan. So they lied.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10725247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author overmind
    thank you all for your answers .i really appreciate your contributions .. if i cancelled my account and take a time to search for the appropriate hosting company , how i'm going to keep my domain name that i already own , is it possible te reserve or registre my domain somewhere till find a hosting company?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10725327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bbjunkies
      Originally Posted by overmind View Post

      thank you all for your answers .i really appreciate your contributions .. if i cancelled my account and take a time to search for the appropriate hosting company , how i'm going to keep my domain name that i already own , is it possible te reserve or registre my domain somewhere till find a hosting company?
      You can transfer your domain to other hosting as long as you didn't use the same host where you got the domain from. That's why I always keep it separate just incase something goes wrong so that way my domain isn't tied down to Godaddy.

      You mention you wanna change to yearly plan and it cost $8.95/mo, you'll have to pay all that ahead of time. That's about $107 buck.

      The 3.95/mo you mentioned I assuming is the baby shared plan. If it's not the baby plan and it's the same plan you got, that may be because their prices is always changing. Some day if you're lucky their prices drop. Other day their prices go up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10725787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author overmind
        Originally Posted by bbjunkies View Post

        You can transfer your domain to other hosting as long as you didn't use the same host where you got the domain from. That's why I always keep it separate just incase something goes wrong so that way my domain isn't tied down to Godaddy.

        You mention you wanna change to yearly plan and it cost $8.95/mo, you'll have to pay all that ahead of time. That's about $107 buck.

        The 3.95/mo you mentioned I assuming is the baby shared plan. If it's not the baby plan and it's the same plan you got, that may be because their prices is always changing. Some day if you're lucky their prices drop. Other day their prices go up.
        ni purchased the domain name from unknow hosting company
        i understand your point but please try to answer specifically to these question cuz i'm a newbie at these stuff
        i want to cancel my account in hostgator and not willing to move to anothe host for the current situation..whats going to happen to my domain name if i did so?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726093].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bbjunkies
          Originally Posted by overmind View Post

          ni purchased the domain name from unknow hosting company
          i understand your point but please try to answer specifically to these question cuz i'm a newbie at these stuff
          i want to cancel my account in hostgator and not willing to move to anothe host for the current situation..whats going to happen to my domain name if i did so?
          Domain names are one thing and hosting is something else. You do not need to buy them from the same place. Some advise you to keep them separate just incase you change hosting in the future your domain will not held hostage for whatever reason.

          In your situation if you didnt bought your domain from Hostgater then your choice of hosting package will not affect your domain name registrations.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726160].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author overmind
            Originally Posted by bbjunkies View Post

            Domain names are one thing and hosting is something else. You do not need to buy them from the same place. Some advise you to keep them separate just incase you change hosting in the future your domain will not held hostage for whatever reason.

            In your situation if you didnt bought your domain from Hostgater then your choice of hosting package will not affect your domain name registrations.
            i dont wanna bother you more , i apologize for these amount of questions
            as you said my hosting package will not affect my domain regist..therefore i can freely
            cancel my account with no problems , lets assume that i moved to bluehost for example , how i can bring my existing domain? do i have to change a dns or something?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726188].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author bbjunkies
              Originally Posted by overmind View Post

              i dont wanna bother you more , i apologize for these amount of questions
              as you said my hosting package will not affect my domain regist..therefore i can freely
              cancel my account with no problems , lets assume that i moved to bluehost for example , how i can bring my existing domain? do i have to change a dns or something?
              You have to change the Nameserver to your new hosting Nameserver. For example, this is the Hostgater Nameserver:

              NSXXXX.HOSTGATOR.COM
              NSXXXX.HOSTGATOR.COM

              Bluehost will give you 2 Namerserver when you registered.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CherylMoses
    hosting matters. great customer service too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by overmind View Post

    hey guys how are you doing ,
    first i apologize for my bad english .
    for the past weeks i moved my domain name to hostgator thinking it would be the best option for me according to their generous offers and good reputation , but the sevices is just away too bad of my expectations ,
    first i choosed a hatching plan with a monthly billing (10.95 /mo) and when i decided to switch to the yearly billing they required (8.95/mo) while in the front page they have (3.95/mo ) for the hatchling plan !
    and the customer support is very late !
    the only option i have now(before the deadline of moneyback guarantee expires) is to move my host and domain to bluehost since i will only pay 74 $ for a year, and also because they have some ad words coupon which i'll need to use later on .( is it hard to move my domain to blue host or any other host ?
    i really need your recommendations about anything and please dont push me for something in the sake of an affiliate sale unless it's beneficial .
    thank you




    The Hostgator plans are clearly described so that's your fault that you thought you was buying $3.95 hosting. The $3.95 is for a year payment upfront ($3.95 x 12 months = $47.40 plus tax, etc...), not monthly payments. The discounted price advertised is also for new buyers.

    You should be using the Live Chat Support on Hostgator. I know you didn't do this because they're response time is less than 5 minutes. I know from experience.

    My advice is slow down on the next host and pay attention to what your doing, read the sales page and ask pre-sale questions because everything you mentioned has nothing to do with a Hostgator problem.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvolveWebHosting
    Hello!

    Whenever you register or transfer a domain, there is a 60 day hold on it which means you can not move it anywhere else in that time period. This is the case with any domain registrar. You can update your nameservers within the 60 day period if you fin da new hosting company that you want to use.

    Sorry if I missed this but what type of site are you hoping to host? Is it a newer site?

    Regards,

    EWH
    Signature

    Evolve Web Hosting | Denver, CO USA
    https://www.evolvewebhost.com
    Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/evolvewebhost

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peterhins
    Try newbies who are offering good services like parkinhost.com , bluewelthost.com who are backed by VC's are offering at lower prices
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10735745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crissH
    I was on Hostgator too, and didn't like them at all.
    Now I use 1&1 hosting. They are not great but much better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10737571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Dini
    I recommend avoiding any hosting company owned by EIG.

    Here is a review based site with some interesting data about EIG

    https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endu...p-eig-hosting/

    Here is a snippet from the link above:

    EIG's Acquisition and Business Structure

    The executives and decision makers behind EIG devote a great deal of their resources to finding up-and-coming web hosting businesses that have a strong customer base. Upon acquiring a new hosting business, EIG often makes several notable changes to the business. These changes can include the implementation of their own control panel, migrating accounts to different servers or datacenters, as well as a reduction or complete abolishment of the existing operational staff.

    Endurance International Group has their own team of support staff that they use for many of their hosting companies. Despite the acquisition of a new hosting business, which in turn brings new customers, EIG eventually transitions to using their own short-staffed support personnel. The downside of their actions is that both their existing and new customers will potentially have to learn to deal with lower quality support service. There is simply not enough staff to deal with their ever growing customer base. This trend is likely to persist as EIG continues to buyout other web hosting companies, but could be reversed if the decision makers at EIG prioritize staffing their support/technical departments.

    In most cases, both existing customers and potential new customers of EIG-owned companies will only see these brands from the outside. For example, HostGator still looks pretty much the same as it did - they continue to have the same brand name, logo, website, promotions, plans, etc. However, EIG has completely revamped and overturned the administration and technical side of the business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Grazina
    If you need a quality services from a decent host, check out plans from hostingsource.com or yougottohaveithosting.co.za.
    Services are full-featured and they have affordable prices.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 3wCorner
    If you want to host a single site, go for a shared hosting plan. It's great for starting up and the cheapest. If you are hosting a lot of sites and on a budget, go for a vps hosting plan. Otherwise, if you want something exclusive, go for a dedicated server hosting plan.

    1. Ipage
    2. Fatcow
    3. Justhost
    4. Heroku
    5. Digital Ocean

    Before signing up in a web host, review their BBB ratings and customer feedbacks first. Don't get blind by discounts and promotions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10753778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talking
    Try services form bekserver.de and a2hosting.com.
    They are low cost and reliable.
    Pricing policy is simple and flexible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757765].message }}

Trending Topics