Ways to build a service marketplace website

11 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
I have an idea to create a marketplace website similar to thumbtack for a specific niche.
I know there are themes tailored to this idea as well as clone script.

I don't want to be limited to a theme I may not like.
curious on plugins needed to put together a website like this.
#build #marketplace #service #ways #website
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author NetMan
    Originally Posted by Djs1723 View Post

    I have an idea to create a marketplace website similar to thumbtack for a specific niche.
    I know there are themes tailored to this idea as well as clone script.

    I don't want to be limited to a theme I may not like.
    curious on plugins needed to put together a website like this.
    That is a very complex process that requires a fairly well amount of programming with a mix of different trending technologies to make it very efficient thinking of the usage that it is meant for.

    This kind of service, in my humble opinion, to make it a success goes way beyond the matter of "being limited by a theme" you may not like. I mean, is the service for you or for a specific target market in a "specific niche"? Right?

    There's no such thing as "plugins" available to put such website together (at least not yet) that would be on WordPress I presume you assume while mentioning "plugins". I'd recommend you use a script, indeed. A well written well recommended one. Most of the time this will come with a fair amount of customization possibilities which shouldn't leave you with something you may not like.

    Do not hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

    Regards,
    Andy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11493710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rollmodl
      Originally Posted by NetMan View Post


      There's no such thing as "plugins" available to put such website together (at least not yet) that would be on WordPress I presume you assume while mentioning "plugins". I'd recommend you use a script, indeed. A well written well recommended one. Most of the time this will come with a fair amount of customization possibilities which shouldn't leave you with something you may not like.

      Regards,
      Andy
      Yes, there is. Wordpress is limited so try Joomla. It's how I created my online marketplace for local services.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495879].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Djs1723
        I will take a look at Joomla, I have not used it before is it easy to learn or most ideal for experienced coders?
        What can Joomla do Wordpress can not?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495884].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
          Originally Posted by Djs1723 View Post

          I will take a look at Joomla, I have not used it before is it easy to learn or most ideal for experienced coders?
          Joomla is tougher to put together than a Wordpress site. Not sure you would need to be an experienced coder, but you have to know how to build web sites to begin with. Plus the learning curve will take longer, that goes for Drupal sites also.

          Their are a lot less plugins. With that said some of the Joomla sites are fantastic. Look at the Joomla sites some of the bigger business have created. One was a McDonald's site that was very sharp looking.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NetMan
        Originally Posted by Rollmodl View Post

        Yes, there is. Wordpress is limited so try Joomla. It's how I created my online marketplace for local services.
        LOL Joomla (I played with that way before wordpress) is certainly very powerful and that doesn't make WordPress limited at all loll... it's all the contrary and who would dare to compare...

        That said, I can certainly and EASILY craft "a marketplace" with WordPress, but that is not the kind that I felt the OP was looking at and moreover the topic here is NOT a DEBATE about which is best between Joomla and WordPress, which we all know would have no end. So thanks to engage in debates where appropriate thank you.

        Andy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11505501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ncodetech
    You need to make market place of your website and than you can promote it on for digital marketing. It is always make good branding campaign for your market place website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11493887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rollmodl
    Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

    Joomla is tougher to put together than a Wordpress site. Not sure you would need to be an experienced coder, but you have to know how to build web sites to begin with. Plus the learning curve will take longer, that goes for Drupal sites also.

    Their are a lot less plugins. With that said some of the Joomla sites are fantastic. Look at the Joomla sites some of the bigger business have created. One was a McDonald's site that was very sharp looking.
    No coding needed. Install and configure.

    Originally Posted by Djs1723 View Post

    I will take a look at Joomla, I have not used it before is it easy to learn or most ideal for experienced coders?
    What can Joomla do Wordpress can not?
    What do you want it to do? Whatever you need there is a component, plugin, or module for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      Originally Posted by Rollmodl View Post

      No coding needed. Install and configure.

      What do you want it to do? Whatever you need there is a component, plugin, or module for it.
      We can say the same for Wordpress as well...

      Great, now we're out of a debate so let us know what is that Joomla Plugin that will create a marketplace as Thumbtack which you "just install and configure" I'M very interested to learn about it. Thanks.

      Regards,
      Andy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11505503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rollmodl
    For example here are some the functions in my admin panel.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495908].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Djs1723
      Thank you for sharing the screen shot, that doesn't look too complicated. I know how to build websites just not great at coding but I am happy to learn what I need to when it comes up.

      I would really like to see your website that is a directory.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11495926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      Originally Posted by Rollmodl View Post

      For example here are some the functions in my admin panel.

      NOTHING there that does not exist on WordPress, moreover all very common plugins. There's no exploit here imho...

      The other reason I did not recommend WordPress (and would not Joomla either) but preferred a script is simply because the OP wants to run a very specific service and there absolutely NO USE to use (which means it's useless, and can even be worse in some cases) a pre-made CMS platform such as WordPress or Joomla. It's using resources which you pay for, for nothing useful at all.

      Andy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11505509].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics