Wordpress vs Blogger vs Joomla?

54 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
This is a pretty good article on some of the top sites currently using Wordpress that I've come across. Seems like Blogger and Joomla are not that widely used ...

Major Sites Using Wordpress as Their Preferred CMS | TECHKER
#blogger #joomla #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author GregtheWriter
    Wordpress all the way
    Signature
    Free Video Series Show You the Exact Tools Six-Figure Affiliate & Network Marketers Use
    Attract. Sponsor. Build an Empire.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OldLodgeSkins
    I'm one of the very rare guys here who does not like WP at all...
    I guess it's a matter of taste and probably objectives too - I say probably as since I'm not into WP I can't really say what you can and can't do with it. From the few experiences I've had with it I just don't like the look and feel, and the way it's organized, so I didn't go any further. But I know I can do pretty much whatever I want with Joomla.
    Signature
    Do you use Facebook ? Then you can make money just by inviting people to a Facebook group ! It's called the Instant Income System. How cool is that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 4DayWeekend
      I use Wordpress and Joomla as well as a few other Open Source CMS'

      The truth is, you should use the one that best fits your purpose. Wordpress is the best for blogging and great for newbies to build a functional site with, but Joomla is better for sites with other functionality.

      For example the Mosets Tree component is better than any Wordpress alternative for a directory, Virtuemart is much better than anything Wordpress has for e-commerce.

      The key is not to put all of your eggs in one basket and try and stay in tune with all of them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by OldLodgeSkins View Post

      I'm one of the very rare guys here who does not like WP at all...
      I'm with you all the way: I don't, either.

      (But - from my perspective - disliking Wordpress as much as I do is hardly a reason to use Blogger, of course. Fortunately, there are many other alternatives, too ).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zicer
    WordPress <3
    Signature
    WHY WOULD YOU BUY TWITTER FOLLOWERS. GET THEM FREE
    Visit My Blog, who knows maybe you find something interesting :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author speedakias
    Originally Posted by mikelmraz View Post

    This is a pretty good article on some of the top sites currently using Wordpress that I've come across. Seems like Blogger and Joomla are not that widely used ...

    Major Sites Using Wordpress as Their Preferred CMS | TECHKER
    E-bay, IKEA, McDonald's, Barnes & Noble, orange ... Also many gov and edu use joomla! If you want to built a more professional website, I think joomla is your tool!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    It depends on the quality of the content. Script has no major impact unless you are running a regular wordpress blog with basic plugins compared to basic joomla and blogger blogs. Joomla is more professional and is more flexible when it comes to customization but requires more advanced programming skills.
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7140974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I would never consider Blogger a viable option. Your site can go down without a moment's notice from one person flagging it as spam.

    A self hosted Wordpress blog is my choice, although I do like Joomla. Problem with Joomla, it is a very steep learning curve and if you sell websites, it's not easy to find buyers that actually know how to maintain a Joomla site. I've sold several and was bombarded with support questions on Joomla and I do not spending that much time on support when it isn't necessary.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141079].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OldLodgeSkins
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      Problem with Joomla, it is a very steep learning curve and if you sell websites, it's not easy to find buyers that actually know how to maintain a Joomla site.
      Hi,

      Write a manual for them, and sell them teaching sessions on Skype... That's what I do. Regardless of the solution used, my clients are usually people who can hardly use a word processor, so managing a website, be it with WP or Joomla, isn't an option if I don't teach them to.

      Seb.
      Signature
      Do you use Facebook ? Then you can make money just by inviting people to a Facebook group ! It's called the Instant Income System. How cool is that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ykgseo
    Wordpress is very good choice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author denysapu
    I do still prefer to WP, It was the greatest right now, I can easily do have something with just a few clicks or with plugins installed, also broad community support is another consideration to choose WP.
    Signature

    Don't worry be happy!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rising_sun
    Banned
    Definitely pretty nice job ,
    I always choose wordpress ,it's very close and user friendly for me.
    I can edit and update ,customize any theme so easily,
    moreover psd to WP,custome theme editing etc are very easy for me.
    I wanna stick with WP
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CreativeGene
    WordPress is the CMS for 2 mins website and I love it. But lately I find Joomla much more powerful and the choice of extensions in Joomla is really a game changer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hajro
    Wordpress is good choice ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mgolder
    I use WordPress. I tried Joomla but it took a long time for me to make my page even look somewhat halfway decent. I think WordPress is the way to go.
    Signature

    Follow me on my internet adventure. http://www.melissagolder.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7141980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dcbaker1
    WordPress is the most popular blogging software due the availability of much plugins. I also prefer using WP, but blogger has a much nicer interface in my eyes. I can't say anything positive about Joomla.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bobby Asburn
    and WordPress is the winner
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pilotben
    Loving wordpress, the plugins and ease of use just make all the difference.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshua138
    Only hardcore, only Wordpress!
    actually with WP there are more possibilities with plugins and stuff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eeesirbelly
    Wordpress is the best platform
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author resz
    +1 for wordpress
    Signature

    Top LINK PYRAMID backlink on fiverr, 6 type of link, 20+ platform, 1100 quality backlink

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adenan
    wordpress is the best..
    SEO friendly & user friendly..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7142830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mobilemiko
    After having blogger remove most of my sites, I'd say they are THE WORST!!!. Wordpress or almost anything else is better. Don't even waste your time with blogger. Only newbees take a chnce with blogger, it's too bad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikelmraz
      Originally Posted by mobilemiko View Post

      After having blogger remove most of my sites, I'd say they are THE WORST!!!. Wordpress or almost anything else is better. Don't even waste your time with blogger. Only newbees take a chnce with blogger, it's too bad.
      You are talking about the free version right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143139].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by mikelmraz View Post

        You are talking about the free version right?
        They're all free.

        Nobody in this thread is talking about wordpress.com (Wordpress's equivalent hosting facility to Blogspot - that's no safer to use than Blogger, and is a non-starter for marketers, because its terms of service prohibit any kind of monetization at all). If you were thinking of wordpress.com hosting, when you started the thread, every poster missed your point, I'm afraid, but that's because we don't associate it with internet marketing at all, because we're all marketers here and that isn't allowed there!

        What's being compared with Blogger and Joomla, in this thread, is self-hosted Wordpress blogs made with free software from wordpress.org.

        They can be hosted either on paid-for hosting (e.g. Hostgator etc.) or on free hosting (e.g. Byethost, 000WebHost, Freehostia etc.). For the purposes discussed above, it doesn't matter which (it can matter, sometimes, for other reasons, but this surely isn't a "free or paid" conversation at all?).

        Don't even think about using either Wordpress.com or Blogger/Blogspot, if you're a marketer.

        These threads will explain why, clearly and unambiguously ...
        Blogger and deleted blogs?
        Blogger blog removed
        Squidoo/Blogger as primary website
        Wow Blogger Deemed All My Hard Work Spam
        Is blogger blogs worthy?
        have blogspot energy?
        is Wordpress really a better choice than Blogger in my case?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143265].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mikelmraz
          Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

          They're all free.

          Nobody in this thread is talking about wordpress.com (Wordpress's equivalent hosting facility to Blogspot - that's no safer to use than Blogger, and is a non-starter for marketers, because its terms of service prohibit any kind of monetization at all). If you were thinking of wordpress.com hosting, when you started the thread, every poster missed your point, I'm afraid, but that's because we don't associate it with internet marketing at all, because we're all marketers here and that isn't allowed there!
          Thanks Alexa. But I was replying to the person who had a blogger account removed. I'm sure that only happens on the free hosted one, and not the self-hosted version?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143344].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
            Banned
            Originally Posted by mikelmraz View Post

            Thanks Alexa. But I was replying to the person who had a blogger account removed. I'm sure that only happens on the free hosted one, and not the self-hosted version?
            There's no such thing, Mikel.

            Blogger's FTP facility was withdrawn in March 2009. The only version of Blogger available since then is the hosted-at-Blogspot one. The ones which had been self-hosted, up until then, can no longer be updated/used (they can still be displayed, of course, but that's no use to someone starting off now).

            It's a shame, because self-hosted Blogger was good, and useful, and easy to use. But no more!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143372].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author mikelmraz
              Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

              There's no such thing, Mikel.

              Blogger's FTP facility was withdrawn in March 2009. The only version of Blogger available since then is the hosted-at-Blogspot one. The ones which had been self-hosted, up until then, can no longer be updated/used (they can still be displayed, of course, but that's no use to someone starting off now).

              It's a shame, because self-hosted Blogger was good, and useful, and easy to use. But no more!
              No wonder nobody uses blogger on their self-hosted blog. Thanks for clarifying.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author problog
    Wordpress gets my vote for ease of use and availability of plugins. Blogger is fine but I wouldn't build my site on a platform where someone else is in control. Unless you have your own domain name and hosting your blog service owns your blog technically, it's within their domain. If they decide to remove your blog there's not much you can do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hamcreek
    wordpress is the best one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gpwilson
    Wordpress. It is easy to use and and easy to input all the data.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7143965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abyssofseo
    I had my website on Joomla and liked it very much. Wordpress is better for blogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7144001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cma01
    The truth is, you should use the one that best fits your purpose. Wordpress is the best for blogging and great for newbies to build a functional site with, but Joomla is better for sites with other functionality.
    Exactly. It depends on what you are using it for. There is a steeper learning curve with Joomla and more so with Drupal.

    Yes, WP is easier for people who really don't much about web development to get a site up and going.

    It doesn't mean that it is necessarily the best option for every single situation.

    Wordpress started as a blogging platform. If what you are mainly looking for is blogging or basic information, it might be the best choice.

    Joomla's strength has always been it's extensions and that it handles different "types" of information very well as well as the fact that from the very beginning it was designed to handle different user and access levels. Think an online magazine, and that with the module views is exactly what a stock install is perfect for.

    Drupal is more of a framework that takes a lot more expertise than either of the other two to configure. With Joomla 2.5 and the ACL's, it is harder to choose between the two. However, Drupal is a powerhouse when it comes to user focused sites and social interaction.

    Comparing Wordpress and Joomla to Blogger isn't even apples and oranges, it's more like apples and carrots. They are completely different things.
    Signature
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    ~ Plato
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7144099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ttrain
    Never could get the hang of Joomla and last time i used blogger (long time ago) it felt limited. I always feel like I have more control with wordpress and it's just easier. Wordpress all the way!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7144673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author footbag_man
    gotta be wordpress all the way..

    Especially with all the themes and plugins you can get for it now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7145130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dv8domainsDotCom
    Ultimately you need to understand why wordpress.ORG is more popular. blogger, IMO is equivalent to wordpress.COM in that it is a restrictive (somewhat) platform that lacks direct code access. This is a negative for plugin and theme developers, who drive the market for that which makes wordpress.ORG type of sites "cool" (all the bells and whistles!) and therefore "popular". Given the majority of people want a "blog" to be social (by very definition) they would want the platform that 1) Allows this to happen efficiently and 2) (optional) provides the flexibility that if that platform does not provide a certain flexibility, that it is open to developers to code this flexibility into it (ie: plugins).
    The answer? Wordpress.ORG
    Now, for strict document management (and also for 'strict' CMS-by-definition), there are facets of Joomla that I like better.
    Signature
    Support a Warrior, Save Money!
    Rock Bottom Prices on Domains and Website Hosting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7145249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I like word press. That is because it is easy. Blogger is also good to use. Especially if you want to monetize with ad sense. Joomla is more work, but it is also awesome. I am using Joomla on two of my sites now. Drupal is another great CMS for you to use. It is free to use with Fantastico on most hosting platforms so give it a spin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7145364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Wordpress is so technical in my opinion. I love Blogger, it's very newbie friendly, and it's so customizable... and gets alot of traffic for me everyday.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7145604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chilldy
    Definitely Wordpress for me. It's super user friendly and there are plugins for just about everything! I've tried Joomla and it was nothing, but confusing. I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually, but wordpress took no time at all to learn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7146014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author avjy27
    hi,joomla and WordPress is best.... before hosting i'm not able to decided which one is best after some searching every one suggest me joomla and WordPress are best for blog site....then i found the cheap host 9cubehosting.com they providing joomla,WordPress,PHPBB and coppermine.. finally i get all in one place at cheap price....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7146234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I use WP and have used Joomla as well as many other blog/CMS scripts. I like WP and have and am transitioning some projects to it.

    Use what works for you and that is perhaps different for all of us.

    However, I'd like to point out a couple things:

    1. This site didn't list the thousands and thousands of popular sites that use other scripts. For example it didn't list any forum scripts some of which can be as configurable as WP or Joomla. Look at the page you are on now and imagine changing the look just a little bit and wala you've got a blog/WP type layout. Forum script comparison a stretch? No more than a personal blog script turning into a membership site with ecommerce capabilities that integrates with 3rd party services such as Facebook or Aweber.

    2. I don't visit any of those "top" sites daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or ever. The "top" sites uses Alexa ranking up to 7153 (RD.com) to prove their top sitedness but then only lists 21 that use WP. Really? 21 out of 7153 is a majority or even a big number?

    3. It doesn't matter what script or theme or plugin you use to your end user. It matters what value you provide. That value is NOT included in any of these systems - it has to be added by you and you can add value to plain HTML site or a $100,000 a year system.

    4. Since WP is at its core a blogging system, some of the interaction just isn't there that other systems have. For example, adding a forum is an AFTER thought for WP but built-in to so many other systems. If you can't get your plugin's theme to match your WP theme - that's why. You have a mishmash of scripts - some that work fine together and some that don't.

    5. If you repeat something long enough and loud enough, you'll eventually get plenty of Koolaid drinkiers. I just love the people who have never used anything else who declare that WP (or Joomla or Drupal or whatever) is THE BEST, hands down. Excuse them - that's just the Koolaid talking.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7146364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author submitbuzz
    Ofcourse, I use WordPress for most of my projects. Its a SEO friendly CMS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7146819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sandra007
    Wordpress grow to be easy builder to get a website and never that .
    Most critical thing arrived at individuals plug in you to definitely these to grow their internet web page very quickly as well as control easily can can rival utilizing joomla ! templates as well as blogger.
    Wordpress Plugin as well as Wp Template customers are start creating huge cash because the people obtaining growing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7146831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jtraits
    WP ... lighter , easy to be configured and many many themes that actually transform it to a blog easily
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7147010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FileScaN
    I uassly use both Wordpress and blogger both are great
    Signature
    Warrior
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7147018].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spearce000
    I wouldn't touch Blogger for anything to do with e-commerce. Joomla used to be my favourite, mainly because there were a lot of plug-ins (shopping cart, forum, membership site script etc.) and Joomla with the AEC plug in is still my preferred choice for membership sites. Wordpress, however, has come on in leaps and bounds over recent years, and the array of plug-ins available now is truly mind blowing. I found the latest version of Joomla to be a bit “clunky” compared to the latest version of WP, too.


    I'd probably still use Joomla for membership sites, or if I was planning to add a membership element to a site later on, but otherwise it's WordPress all the way.

    <edit Jan 30th 2013>
    I've just discovered the s2Member plugin for Wordpress. My final reason for using Joomla has just disappeared!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7147963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DenisBalitskiy
    Wordpress of course! It's easy to use, and very reliable. Also, it is very easy to install and configure.
    Signature

    Never give up.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7148298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gcbmark20
    Going for FREE is taking a chance especially if you are serious about building a successful online business.

    Hosting plans are very cheap to get started with anyway so why take the risk!

    Never really used any other than Wordpress and they seem to getting more and more useful by the day.

    Premium themes look professional and place opt-in froms in the exact place for allowing visitors to easily see them and opt-into your email list.

    Wordpress all the way for me!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7148357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DougHoltOnline
    I'm a big fan of Joomla, though the Wordpress extensions seem to be more cutting edge with regards to blogging and basic SEO tools. At this point, I've stuck with Joomla for almost a decade, so I'm very comfortable working in and around it, so there doesn't seem to be a need to change. My advice is to pick one and run with it until you feel really comfortable with the software and you can focus the rest of your time learning more about IM.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7165750].message }}
  • [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7554766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seven4
    This article is 3+ years old, and I thing some information in it are not that true.

    For example, I think mashable doesn't use WP anymore.
    They switched to a custom script.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10094054].message }}

Trending Topics