camtasia videos killing my webpage

8 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Hi,

I have 2 swf files created in camtasia. I have added them to my web page but when someone hits it it tries to download the whole file. I have a pretty good internet connection so I don't notice it but people are telling me that the page is taking them a long time to get into it.

I remember once seeing some code to make the flash videos load after the rest of the page. Does anyone know this code or something similar that could help me out with this slow loading sales page?

Many thanks

G
#camtasia #killing #videos #webpage
  • Profile picture of the author CamStudio
    G

    The quickest way to do this would be to put the videos on a separate page and then pull them into the main page using an IFRAME.

    HTH

    Cheers

    Nick




    Originally Posted by GuerrillaIM View Post

    Hi,

    I have 2 swf files created in camtasia. I have added them to my web page but when someone hits it it tries to download the whole file. I have a pretty good internet connection so I don't notice it but people are telling me that the page is taking them a long time to get into it.

    I remember once seeing some code to make the flash videos load after the rest of the page. Does anyone know this code or something similar that could help me out with this slow loading sales page?

    Many thanks

    G
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[743596].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adi E
      You could try reducing the Camtasia recording quality or use some third-party video compression software, I've never used Camtasia but you could further reduce the video size by only recording the area of screen that you require

      Hope that Helps
      Adi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[744740].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
      Originally Posted by CamStudio View Post

      G

      The quickest way to do this would be to put the videos on a separate page and then pull them into the main page using an IFRAME.

      HTH

      Cheers

      Nick
      You, my friend, are a genius!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[744772].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LonNaylor
        First point is...

        SWF's do not "download"...they stream progressively. It is not slow because the viewer is waiting for the file to download...

        It is slow for any number of other reasons:

        1. Stereo audio instead of mono
        2. Lots of screen movement or live video content
        3. Poor production setting choices
        4. Large capture window size
        Etc., etc.

        Putting the video on your page in a IFRAME is an excellent suggestion (and one I use and have documented on the forum elsewhere several times) but it is not going to help with the video being slow.

        Can you provide a link?

        And, what version of Camtasia are you using?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[749998].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
          Originally Posted by LonNaylor View Post

          First point is...

          SWF's do not "download"...they stream progressively. It is not slow because the viewer is waiting for the file to download...
          Depends how you code them. If you don't code a pre-loader into the first few frames then it will try to download the whole file before you click play. Also if you dont use code to specify when the flash graphic loads the page can hang until its fully loaded into browsers cache. When I'm creating flash files outside of camtasia I use the onload event to load the flash so that page doesn't hang at all.

          I was about to create a new fla and embed the swf into it (major ball ache as I hardly use flash these days im pretty rusty) until I was given the idea of the IFrame.

          Eventually I found out problem was because I had 2 videos on the same page and it was a documented bug on their site. I copied some code in and it seems to be working ok now.

          Thanks for the help everyone.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[764154].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author LonNaylor
            Originally Posted by GuerrillaIM View Post

            Depends how you code them. If you don't code a pre-loader into the first few frames then it will try to download the whole file before you click play. Also if you dont use code to specify when the flash graphic loads the page can hang until its fully loaded into browsers cache. When I'm creating flash files outside of camtasia I use the onload event to load the flash so that page doesn't hang at all.

            I was about to create a new fla and embed the swf into it (major ball ache as I hardly use flash these days im pretty rusty) until I was given the idea of the IFrame.

            Eventually I found out problem was because I had 2 videos on the same page and it was a documented bug on their site. I copied some code in and it seems to be working ok now.

            Thanks for the help everyone.
            Yes. Very true...I meant as far as Camtasia defaults are concerned.

            Thanks for making the point.

            I also use the IFRAME technique for almost all my videos.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[768963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CaffeinatedWorld
    The problem could be that your server is slow.
    You can always upload your movies to YouTube (specially that they have HQ now) and put the embed movies on your website

    That's a great solution to speed up the process.
    Signature
    EXPRESSO - THE ULTIMATE WORDPRESS THEME FRAMEWORK

    71 templates, Color changer, Background constructor, dynamic gradients & so much more!

    Use WSO promocode warriorforum to get 15% off any purchase!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[763776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
    Camtasia player sucks as it comes - Use a different player and compress your
    video so it autoloads for a few seconds before streaming - autoload
    only one video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[769004].message }}

Trending Topics