Affiliate Marketing Blog

by Mogly
21 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Hey guys,

I'm trying to relaunch my site, and I've had some solid success in the last few months but instead of just slowly bringing in money from my affiliate sales and seeing a very lackluster increase in traffic each month, I want to spark some new acceleration in the growth of my site.

The thing is... I think I've become too accustomed to the look, feel, and overall atmosphere on my site.

I would love it if you could take a look and let me know what you think in terms of content/design/overall jive you get from the site.

I can handle harsh criticism and I would rather get the truth than a fake positive.

Affiliate Marketing Blog: and feel free to leave any comments/questions here, I will try my best to answer each one.

Thanks,
Brandon
#advice #criticism #give #needed
  • Profile picture of the author Dragone
    Looks alive and well designed. I like the look of it. The space to enter your email address isn't too visible though, almost looks just like part of the page so maybe consider making that opt-in a bit more visible/direct.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PayForWords
      Banned
      I actually like the overall look of the site. One thing I would suggest though is:


      1. See if you can't fill in the white space on the right when scrolling down.
      It doesn't have to be ads but maybe links to other products of yours?

      2. Change New?Start Here to something else. Maybe just "Start Here."




      Okay, so that's two things but I really had to dig to come up with that.




      I like the site!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matrixler
    Look and feel are nice. Like Dragone pointed out, the space to enter your email is not clearly recognizable. First time looking at the site, I didn't even realized that it was there. After reading through the other posts and going back to your site I noticed it.

    Other than that, keep up the good work, build your site, research good content and get it out man!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mogly
      Originally Posted by Matrixler View Post

      Look and feel are nice. Like Dragone pointed out, the space to enter your email is not clearly recognizable. First time looking at the site, I didn't even realized that it was there. After reading through the other posts and going back to your site I noticed it.

      Other than that, keep up the good work, build your site, research good content and get it out man!
      Awesome.

      This is actually some of the best criticism I have ever gotten for the site.

      So in order:

      1) Need to work on the optin-form design (the one in the sidebar is actually brand new, just made it/designed it and put it in yesterday)

      Also, how could I make the form stand out more? I don't want to just make it like bright green? Or maybe that's not what you meant?

      2) Fill in sidebar space... I'm actually working on that, I took out the affiliate ads I had in that place because I thought it looked... scammy. I really want to promote solid ideas/fundementals not scammy products.

      So in answer to the other part of that question, I don't really have any products of my own at this time... I would prefer not to make my online income from selling products to people who want to learn how I made my money etc. At this time I don't make any income from products/services based around my customers.

      Just affiliate marketing, and other websites of mine.

      I don't know, you guys gave me really great advice because its stuff that I can (and will change).

      Oh yeah, and creating great content is what I'm focusing on now.

      I realize more and more just how important that is: because if I wouldn't read my own blog then why would anyone else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301611].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Eric Lovelace
        I really like the site I read through some of your content; seems like you've done your research.

        I'd probably instead of a form being set in stone on your webpage. Try to integrate one of those floating banners that asks for their email instead, and that should really get them to subscribe. Because they can't miss it
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301696].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mogly
          Originally Posted by Eric Lovelace View Post

          I really like the site I read through some of your content; seems like you've done your research.

          I'd probably instead of a form being set in stone on your webpage. Try to integrate one of those floating banners that asks for their email instead, and that should really get them to subscribe. Because they can't miss it
          You mean like a pop-up? I would prefer not to resort to that only because I find them annoying (myself) when I get them on websites. But maybe, its definitely a great suggestion.

          Update: I am currently revising the opt-in form, and I've done a lot of manual CSS/HTML work to make the form sit on the image so it stick out a lot more and looks better. The one problem is just that the actual "enter your email address" form looks dull in comparison to my changes to the submit button.

          And I apologize, in part, for the lack of recent content and lack of amazing content. Right now the site really isn't at its best... I'll be adding actually great content in the next few weeks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301824].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PayForWords
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Mogly View Post

        Awesome.

        This is actually some of the best criticism I have ever gotten for the site.

        So in order:

        1) Need to work on the optin-form design (the one in the sidebar is actually brand new, just made it/designed it and put it in yesterday)

        Also, how could I make the form stand out more? I don't want to just make it like bright green? Or maybe that's not what you meant?

        2) Fill in sidebar space... I'm actually working on that, I took out the affiliate ads I had in that place because I thought it looked... scammy. I really want to promote solid ideas/fundementals not scammy products.

        So in answer to the other part of that question, I don't really have any products of my own at this time... I would prefer not to make my online income from selling products to people who want to learn how I made my money etc. At this time I don't make any income from products/services based around my customers.

        Just affiliate marketing, and other websites of mine.

        I don't know, you guys gave me really great advice because its stuff that I can (and will change).

        Oh yeah, and creating great content is what I'm focusing on now.

        I realize more and more just how important that is: because if I wouldn't read my own blog then why would anyone else.
        Glad you got value from all the advice but at the end of the day...

        Do what YOU think will work. Good luck with the site!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301855].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vare
    Did you take some A/B testings on the page. For example on the positioning on the optin form. Where you have better results, for example on the right or the left size...etc?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Rosmer
    I'll second the comments above regarding the opt-in. My opinion create a nice big HORIZONTAL opt-in that's super visible with a super clear compelling offer (I actually like what you're offering but don't like how it blends in).

    I'd actually include two opt-ins, one horizontal above the fold and another below the fold possibly vertical.

    I'd also add social media connectivity to your blog posts so people can like, tweet, +1 them directly from the main page as opposed to just when you're in the post.

    Finally, I suspect you could increase your monetization potential through more income streams and more obvious income streams.
    Signature

    There are only 5 things an entrepreneur should be doing all day every day to become rich. - www.richucation.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8302126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mogly
      Originally Posted by Michael Rosmer View Post

      I'll second the comments above regarding the opt-in. My opinion create a nice big HORIZONTAL opt-in that's super visible with a super clear compelling offer (I actually like what you're offering but don't like how it blends in).

      I'd actually include two opt-ins, one horizontal above the fold and another below the fold possibly vertical.

      I'd also add social media connectivity to your blog posts so people can like, tweet, +1 them directly from the main page as opposed to just when you're in the post.

      Finally, I suspect you could increase your monetization potential through more income streams and more obvious income streams.
      Again.. great advice, I really should have come to you guys sooner. (I'm serious, I was in a bit of a rut with my site's promotion and growth until now)

      To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how to make the social media buttons possible, (in terms of actual programming/coding) Its a plugin I'm using, and I'm competent when it comes to front-end CSS/HTML, but nothing heavy in the backend like that.

      I'll look it up and try to fix that again. (Oh yeah, one of the reasons I was holding off on that is because I know I hate when I go to a blog and they have like EVERY SINGLE social media share button in the world on every single blog post.

      I know my 3 buttons aren't nearly as much as that, but still, I just didn't want to overdo it.

      Also, a lot of people have been mentioning how my opt-in form (in the sidebar) blends in. I think I'm having a bad cases of "website owner blindness" to me it sticks out a lot. What could I do to make it stick out more, more color? brighter colors?

      I added in that glowing green button to attract attention there, but maybe I should attract the attention somewhere else?

      And with a horizontal opt-in, do you mean something similar to my sidebar one, but formatted differently and right on top? I would have to figure out a way to do that, without hurting the user experience.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8302799].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matrixler
        Hey Mogly, great you like the suggestions being made. 2 things I'd like to point out.

        1. Your adsense ads in the header are on a fixed place (Please see what I mean here-I made a screenshot for you). Depending on the screen resolution this can lead to overlapping with your header image. Doesn't look good + google can shut down your adsense account.

        2. Experiment with the placing of the opt-in form. I have made a suggestion on the screenshot for you too. Even experiment with an opt-in pop-up.There are several plugins out there who manage this easily.

        Hope that helps!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8303992].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mogly
          Originally Posted by Matrixler View Post

          Hey Mogly, great you like the suggestions being made. 2 things I'd like to point out.

          1. Your adsense ads in the header are on a fixed place (Please see what I mean here-I made a screenshot for you). Depending on the screen resolution this can lead to overlapping with your header image. Doesn't look good + google can shut down your adsense account.

          2. Experiment with the placing of the opt-in form. I have made a suggestion on the screenshot for you too. Even experiment with an opt-in pop-up.There are several plugins out there who manage this easily.

          Hope that helps!
          Yeah, I was just tooling around with adsense.. haven't used it much before. Really need to look at that code, I think its because I used position:absolute; there, but I'll get on that.

          Yeah I'm definitely not going to leave the adsense there, I just wanted to do some testing.

          I think it takes away from some of the quality that I'm trying to portray.

          And yeah, opt-in is next on my list once I fix the adsense.

          Thanks!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8304437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GoForJacob
    Hey! I actually like this one. haha. I would just recommend changing the background image. It's a resource hog and doesn't increase the user experience at all. Why not use a solid color through CSS?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8304624].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mogly
      Originally Posted by GoForJacob View Post

      Hey! I actually like this one. haha. I would just recommend changing the background image. It's a resource hog and doesn't increase the user experience at all. Why not use a solid color through CSS?
      This is actually one of the things I was thinking about as well.

      I just want it to look nice, and I haven't found a solid-color css way of doing that.

      Maybe I'll take a stab at that later today as well.

      Just need to get the design right.

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8306231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jay walters
    Looks great and awesome. Looks professional and clean.

    Good job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8308146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mogly
      Originally Posted by jay walters View Post

      Looks great and awesome. Looks professional and clean.

      Good job.
      Thanks, I really appreciate it. I've put many hours of work into the site design etc., but I'm always looking to improve.

      Update: I fixed the adsense problem, it was the difference between absolute and relative positioning.

      Adsense is actually paying out fantastically right now... so I'm going to leave it for the time being.

      But I would really rather leave adsense ASAP, and move back to collecting emails/affiliate marketing, because it just seems like a more "for sure" thing.

      I like being the one in control rather than using a middleman.



      Also changed the site background as you guys suggested to a plain CSS color, to try and reduce load times.

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
      Originally Posted by jay walters View Post

      Looks great and awesome.
      ^^ One of the most idiotic one-liner "review"...

      STOP posting similar nonsense opinions from "Victoria, BC", OK?

      When the OP is asking for criticism&advice your most usual reply is "good job". This is the last warning!
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yestyle
    Banned
    Hey Mogly, on the top header, beside Facbook button, you also need to add other social networks buttons like Twitter, linkdin or stumbleupon...etc..I suggest you should change a bit for your top menu with rounded conners for navigation, it will be better and more attractive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonBird
    Hi Mogly... I like the clean design and layout. So good job there. As with the other comments... lots of white space to the right.. that you could do something with. The "opt-in" box is dropped down on my page... leaving a huge white area in the upper right sidebar. Is that intentional? Also, how are the opt-ins for the mentoring program. Are you getting quite a few sign-ups... and did you try any other opt-in methods before going with the mentoring program? I think the mentoring angle is a good one.

    Finally, I've had your webpage page open all the time while writing this and it has been trying to fully connect and load all this time. It intially loaded but now it's trying to load something else and it isn't happening.... this is another resource hog especially if you are on a shared server. Just a "heads-up."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310233].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mogly
      Originally Posted by JonBird View Post

      Hi Mogly... I like the clean design and layout. So good job there. As with the other comments... lots of white space to the right.. that you could do something with. The "opt-in" box is dropped down on my page... leaving a huge white area in the upper right sidebar. Is that intentional? Also, how are the opt-ins for the mentoring program. Are you getting quite a few sign-ups... and did you try any other opt-in methods before going with the mentoring program? I think the mentoring angle is a good one.

      Finally, I've had your webpage page open all the time while writing this and it has been trying to fully connect and load all this time. It intially loaded but now it's trying to load something else and it isn't happening.... this is another resource hog especially if you are on a shared server. Just a "heads-up."
      Hey, let me respond to them all.

      I have been testing out google adsense, just to compare it to my usual revenue from the site, there is a square adsense block in the top right of the sidebar which you probably aren't seeing due to adblock or a similar extension.

      The adsense is only going to be there for a month or so, so I can collect data, and do some conversion optimization.


      The mentoring/consulting angle is BRAND NEW. I honestly have never run a giveaway like that before... ever.

      I used to offer something like exclusive content/early-access to any eBooks I was giving away, but I see the free month of consulting as a much more valuable offer. (Because I'm serious about putting the time in to help people).

      Typically I only offer paid consulting services, but I stopped doing those to spend more time on my websites. I just prefer the passive income rather than working a service job.

      If I am correct, then it will also give me the benefit of bringing in more subscribers, so its a win-win.

      Lastly, there's something wrong with the loading on my site. I screwed up somewhere I guess because I noticed that something is causing the constant server call (or whatever) to make the page never fully load.

      To respond to the other poster, I'm not really sure how to do that in CSS (make the edged rounded), but I will look it up tonight and try to fix that.

      The navigation buttons were always something I was looking to change.

      Do you guys know if there is anyway to apply a shadow behind the body content onto the background. I don't know, I'm just trying to think of a way to make the background look nicer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310916].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
        Originally Posted by Mogly View Post

        Hey, let me respond to them all.
        Don't! I mean next time don't respond to all.

        Asking for a feedback about your site does NOT mean you must argue with every line they write - sometimes your "explanations" being even longer than the so-called "reviews".

        No need for explanations.

        Just read the feedback, digest it and act upon them if they made sense.
        And clicking the THANKS button is quite enought for "thankyou".

        This should be the ground rule for every review request - so nothing personal!
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8311423].message }}

Trending Topics