Offline Newspaper Classified Advertising - Advise, Tips, Strategies, pros and Cons

by 10 comments
Hello Warrior members:

How are you doing?

I am thinking about dipping my toes (and money) into an offline newspaper classified project however this is a brand new venture for me so I definitely want to have all of my ducks in a row before I invest any cash in this.

Could you please share your experiences, strategies, tips, pros and cons concerning off line classified advertising?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much. )
#internet marketing #advertising #advise #classified #cons #newspaper #newspaper advertising #newspaper classifieds #offline #offline advertising #pros #strategies #tips

  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    Artgirl, what is your product/service and what is the demographic you're most after?
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Tunnah
    Hi,
    I've used classified advertising in newspapers and magazines before with success. However it can be a slow and expensive period to get your ad 'right'. The problem with many offline publications is the lead time for your ads.Many have anywhere upto a month before publication. Also when you start off many require payment upfront well before publication.
    However as I said I've found it can work well particularly if you target 'niche' publications.


    Rich
  • Profile picture of the author onlinemoney00
    Classified ads are great, like all ads, you ou can test should focus on your headline and the benefits you are bringing to your customer. However I feel that since you are starting out, its always quicker, cheaper and faster to test online. You can test online ad in 24-48hrs, with offline ads, anyting from weeks to months. Consider testing online before moving offline
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Dominic
    Originally Posted by richt1971 View Post

    Hi,
    I've used classified advertising in newspapers and magazines before with success. However it can be a slow and expensive period to get your ad 'right'. The problem with many offline publications is the lead time for your ads.Many have anywhere upto a month before publication. Also when you start off many require payment upfront well before publication.
    However as I said I've found it can work well particularly if you target 'niche' publications.


    Rich
    Rich is spot on about print advertising. I have much success advertising in a local free entertainment magazine. It took a few weeks of tweeking before I got positive results.
  • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
    Be sure to track your results and to calculate the
    return you are getting from each advert.

    If you include a URL.. include an identifier.

    If you give a phone number.. offer a unique coupon
    code.

    John
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by onlinemoney00 View Post

    Classified ads are great, like all ads, you ou can test should focus on your headline and the benefits you are bringing to your customer. However I feel that since you are starting out, its always quicker, cheaper and faster to test online. You can test online ad in 24-48hrs, with offline ads, anyting from weeks to months. Consider testing online before moving offline
    Actually, this is how I find successful classified ads. I set up a Google Adwords campaign and tweak the ads for response. Good Adwords ads tend to make good classified ads, too.

    The next step is newspaper classifieds. Not as quick as Adwords, but quick enough to test and still cheaper than most monthlies.

    Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

    Be sure to track your results and to calculate the
    return you are getting from each advert.

    If you include a URL.. include an identifier.

    If you give a phone number.. offer a unique coupon
    code.

    John
    What he said, bold and underlined...

    A one-time ad that may cost several hundred dollars is no time to be flying blind without a compass.
  • Profile picture of the author NoBoss
    In one former program I tested via Online Ads
    (Google Adwords) and then placed ad in local
    daily paper.

    Two days later ad ran and great response followed.

    ...Doug
  • Profile picture of the author artgirl
    Thank you all for your knowledge concerning newspaper advertising. My goal was to expand my Google Adwords campaign to newspaper classifieds.

    If it works on Adwords it should be successful by targeting its targeted audience offline...correct?
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by artgirl View Post

    Thank you all for your knowledge concerning newspaper advertising. My goal was to expand my Google Adwords campaign to newspaper classifieds.

    If it works on Adwords it should be successful by targeting its targeted audience offline...correct?
    Reach the same kind of people, and you should get a favorable response.

    The extra step is a trade-off. You lose the 'just click the ad' ease of Adwords, but you gain at least marginally more committed visitors.

    It sounds like you probably already know this, but for the sake of those who might be following along - keep you eyes on your Most Wanted Result (usually sales or opt-ins), and not on the traffic counter.
  • Profile picture of the author hadsek
    Old thread but still very relevant. While we're at, may I suggest online classified advertising?
    a good online classified advertising ideas read:

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Classified...ces&id=7035305

Next Topics on Trending Feed