A Little Side Project That Sorta Took Off...

by 51 replies
I just wanted to share this with you guys, because it's something that pretty much anyone could do.

I discovered that Indeed.com has an affiliate program that allows you to add their search boxes to your website.

So, I signed up and bought a domain (in sig, not trying to promote myself here, just sharing my story).

It started out as me just messing around in between classes one day. I haven't done any advertising except my sig here, and I added it to my sig on another forum today.

Somehow I'm getting 200-300 views a day - after less than a week.

I decided to put a little more effort into it - all offline. I ordered 1500 business cards (cheap from vista print - see image). I'm going to put these cards on all of the bulletin boards at my college, at the car wash, the barber shop, and anywhere else I can. I'm also taking out a classified ad in my local newspaper. I'm not expecting to make a ton of money with this, it's just more of an experiment for my own knowledge.




The reason I'm posting this is just to show that there are literally endless possibilities when it comes to making money online, and this is just something I happened to stumble upon. Just keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel because you never know what you might find.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #project #side #sorta
  • Profile picture of the author brendan9971
    that's great man. congrats. great site idea. it's great when the side projects we don't think will amount to much actually end up being out top earning endeavors, isn't it?
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Stirling
    great idea man.. that's awesome to hear that its
    working so well for you... right off the bat!

    would love to know how it goes from here on out
    after your business cards and classified ad.
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by Stuart Stirling View Post

      great idea man.. that's awesome to hear that its
      working so well for you... right off the bat!

      would love to know how it goes from here on out
      after your business cards and classified ad.
      That's kind of why I'm doing it. I really just want to see if it has any real impact on the traffic.
  • Profile picture of the author Andre Lavell
    I like it. People tend to underestimate simple, basic sites like these. I can see it doing well for you.

    I've never worked with indeed.com before, do they allow you to edit their search form? Or is just a code that give you?

    I'd probably make it a look a little more authoritative and welcoming. It would probably convert better.

    Maybe something like this:
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4...worksource.png
    (just a quick sketch)

    You'd wanna center it ofcourse..

    And if it you're going to do this 'locally,' (like handing out flyers) you should put the city and state name somewhere on the site. Folks will probably feel more comfortable interacting with the site if it appears to be directly for them. (eg:: Portland, Ohio - Local Work Source)

    Otherwise there are geotargeting scripts out there that you can use to display the visitors location based on their IP address. It could work...

    Just my 2cents though - Good luck man.
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by A Lavell View Post

      I like it. People tend to underestimate simple, basic sites like these. I can see it doing well for you.

      I've never worked with indeed.com before, do they allow you to edit their search form? Or is just a code that give you?

      I'd probably make it a look a little more authoritative and welcoming. It would probably convert better.

      Maybe something like this:
      http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4...worksource.png
      (just a quick sketch)

      You'd wanna center it ofcourse..

      And if it you're going to do this 'locally,' (like handing out flyers) you should put the city and state name somewhere on the site. Folks will probably feel more comfortable interacting with the site if it appears to be directly for them. (eg:: Portland, Ohio - Local Work Source)

      Otherwise there are geotargeting scripts out there that you can use to display the visitors location based on their IP address. It could work...

      Just my 2cents though - Good luck man.
      Wow awesome. I'll have to see if I can do something like that, I just need to learn how I guess.

      And indeed does provide the code, and they will even host it. OR you can get their API and do it all yourself, but that's out of my league for now.
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by A Lavell View Post

      I like it. People tend to underestimate simple, basic sites like these. I can see it doing well for you.

      I've never worked with indeed.com before, do they allow you to edit their search form? Or is just a code that give you?

      I'd probably make it a look a little more authoritative and welcoming. It would probably convert better.

      Maybe something like this:
      http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4...worksource.png
      (just a quick sketch)

      You'd wanna center it ofcourse..

      And if it you're going to do this 'locally,' (like handing out flyers) you should put the city and state name somewhere on the site. Folks will probably feel more comfortable interacting with the site if it appears to be directly for them. (eg:: Portland, Ohio - Local Work Source)

      Otherwise there are geotargeting scripts out there that you can use to display the visitors location based on their IP address. It could work...

      Just my 2cents though - Good luck man.
      Thanks for the awesome reply man. I was wondering if this was something you could do, and if so how much you would charge? I'm not so much worried about making it "local" friendly, but I do like the interface you created.
  • Profile picture of the author ludimilojko
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author lstoops
    I like this idea too. Have you made any money yet? I'm going to check out the program now.
  • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
    Originally Posted by Chris Kent View Post

    Sure. That's the problem. Which ones to concentrate on.

    No offence but we don't even know if you'll break even yet. We don't know if your efforts are a waste of time and you could be better off doing something else or not.

    Good luck, I hope it is worth it.
    Could be a waste of time - but I don't have that much time invested into it. And leaving business cards around school doesn't really hinder my productivity because I'll do it between classes, same with other places - when I'm there I'll leave a few behind.

    I am doing something else that I focus most of my attention on. This is just a side project as I said.
  • Profile picture of the author Presto Smith
    Originally Posted by doorkicker13 View Post

    I just wanted to share this with you guys, because it's something that pretty much anyone could do.
    I took your advise and joined the program. Here is my similar job search site through indeed:

    Get My Dream Job

    What do you all think about the layout? I literally threw this site together after reading this post, so its pretty simple. I borrowed from the layout that A Lavell put together as you can tell. I could not find an easy way to alter the search buttons, but to start out with this should do fine.

    Thanks for the idea doorkicker13 I will be interested to see if I can generate any revenues from this site.

    -Presto
  • Profile picture of the author TycoonRob
    Awesome stuff! You could probably sell this as a WSO and make a few bucks. Ha. I like it though, especially the business cards with the QR code. I may just try this.
  • Profile picture of the author James Hessler
    Thanks for such an interesting idea. With being on point with my shtick, I took out 5 mins to register a domain name, register with 'indeed', all from my iPhone...
    On the street getting ready to busk(I'm a street magician), on tour but on return home I'll finish it off.
    Got some ideas about site design using big video, vox pops, and a dynamic 2minute video.

    Thanks for posting and sharing. Gotta love this forum. Once completed I'll post a link for critiquing...

    Regards
    James
  • Profile picture of the author Xavier Tan
    That's a decent and cheap offline marketing strategy. You can put your flyers or business cards in those booths of fairs or exhibition that are related to your niche, you will be surprised by the results
  • Profile picture of the author pdrs
    pretty cool I must say. Just curious though with 200-300 visitors daily, have you actually banked any cash yet?
  • Profile picture of the author athanne
    No wonder someone once told me that what matters most is what you do after and before normal working hours. i can now understand the point better
    • Profile picture of the author raindog308
      It'll be interesting to see if this breaks even.

      Costs:
      • $7.49 to register a domain or thereabouts
      • hosting we'll say is free because it could easily be hosted on a free web host or alongside the owners other sites if any
      • $20 for 500 business cards via vistaprint
      • some cost to print out fliers
      So let's say $30 to get this going. (I think the OP is a college kid so he probably has access to near-free if not free printing at school )

      Possible revenue:
      • Adsense on the domain
      • Indeed.com referrals
      • Employers posting jobs, though I think that's a little bit more of a long shot
      Will he make > $30? Enough to justify the time investment?

      I honestly don't know but it's a great, cheap experiment.
  • Profile picture of the author davidfstyles
    Awesome idea. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Success multiplies.
  • Profile picture of the author xMarkPro
    Congrats on the new site idea!
  • Profile picture of the author Lloyd Buchinski
    I went through a lot of pages on the indeed site, and couldn't find out how much they paid. If it is free for job seekers, they might only pay when an employer pays to advertise. Any affiliate company I've joined has had this information out in the open. It seems odd to me that they don't.

    It's easy to get traffic from job seekers, but the chances of an employer landing on a 'looking for work' site and then clicking through on an affiliate link and paying for something, aren't much.

    I don't know if that's their business model, but if it is, advertising to job seekers isn't going to do any good. Printing business cards to pass out to students would be a waste of money, wouldn't it?
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by Lloyd Buchinski View Post

      I went through a lot of pages on the indeed site, and couldn't find out how much they paid. If it is free for job seekers, they might only pay when an employer pays to advertise. Any affiliate company I've joined has had this information out in the open. It seems odd to me that they don't.

      It's easy to get traffic from job seekers, but the chances of an employer landing on a 'looking for work' site and then clicking through on an affiliate link and paying for something, aren't much.

      I don't know if that's their business model, but if it is, advertising to job seekers isn't going to do any good. Printing business cards to pass out to students would be a waste of money, wouldn't it?
      I'm not exactly sure how the payments are structured, but I know it's not only when a job is posted.

      I'll put it this way - I have made more money with this project over the last week than I have with all my other efforts from the last several months combined (aside from Fiverr).
  • Profile picture of the author Chuck Avants
    Did you do any SEO? Backlinking? Submit to Web2.0?
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by Chuck Avants View Post

      Did you do any SEO? Backlinking? Submit to Web2.0?
      Not yet - I plan to do a little though.
  • Profile picture of the author beks001
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author dtang4
    Wow, this is really interesting to me, because I am actually conducting a very similar test.

    I created a website based solely off of the Indeed API, but focused it on a specific job niche. In my case, I chose clerical jobs -- i.e. my site is a clerical jobs search engine.

    I've been tracking stats related to this test since it's launch:
    Live Case Study: The case of 300,000 pages and counting. | The Man Who Sold the Web Blog

    I'm into my 4th week now and just started to monetize the site mid last week.
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by dtang4 View Post

      Wow, this is really interesting to me, because I am actually conducting a very similar test.

      I created a website based solely off of the Indeed API, but focused it on a specific job niche. In my case, I chose clerical jobs -- i.e. my site is a clerical jobs search engine.

      I've been tracking stats related to this test since it's launch:
      Live Case Study: The case of 300,000 pages and counting. | The Man Who Sold the Web Blog

      I'm into my 4th week now and just started to monetize the site mid last week.
      Haha, funny times. You went ALL OUT though.. I wish I had the knowledge necessary to integrate the API like you did. I really like what you have going on there. What are you charging for job postings, any jobs posted?
  • Profile picture of the author Tiptopcat
    Excellent story.

    It is always good to hear people making extra money on the side from completely unexpected sources.

    Good luck with it.

    Tiptopcat
  • Profile picture of the author armyants
    Hi doorkicker13,
    Great Idea Thank you for sharing.

Next Topics on Trending Feed