"The longest journey a person makes..."

17 replies
"The longest journey a person makes in his life is from the time he leaves school until he finds his life's vocation. And very few people complete that journey, they drift into a job"
- E Joseph Cossman

I think the get-rich-quick "guru's" miss the point (or could it be they are merely meeting a demand?)

The point is to be FREE to live a live that rings true to you

Not to some "approved" standard

Sadly, way too many people tie their quest for freedom to some financial figure, when that isn't enough that they REALLY seek

Of course money is important, no question about that.

But how about more financial education that helps people find fulfillment in a way that feels authentic to them, not bending over backwards to be like some snakeoil salesman?

What do you think?
#crime #happiness meaning #money #sports #success
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    It depends on which brand of snake oil it is!

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
    I think people always think they want more money (and to some effect that is the case) but I think what people get confused is that they actually want more freedom.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528402].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by sgalla414 View Post

      I think people always think they want more money (and to some effect that is the case) but I think what people get confused is that they actually want more freedom.
      Which people are getting confused? You THINK they want more freedom, from what?

      I think it is presumptuous on your part to make this assumption, but you are entitled to your opinion.

      Can you point out examples of these confused folks?

      GordonJ
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528450].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

        Which people are getting confused? You THINK they want more freedom, from what?

        I think it is presumptuous on your part to make this assumption, but you are entitled to your opinion.

        Can you point out examples of these confused folks?

        GordonJ
        There are almost always a small number or percent of people who take action and get results . But a majority of the buyers are buying the dream if getting rich .

        We live in a consumer sociaty that on functions because people have colsets and garages full of things they bought and never used .

        A large amount of the food people buy gets thrown out .

        I'll point out the confused people those who spend large amounts of time on studying why the people who never do anything never do anything

        Instead of studying the small number of people who do .
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528488].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          There are almost always a small number or percent of people who take action and get results . But a majority of the buyers are buying the dream if getting rich .

          We live in a consumer sociaty that on functions because people have colsets and garages full of things they bought and never used .

          A large amount of the food people buy gets thrown out .

          I'll point out the confused people those who spend large amounts of time on studying why the people who never do anything never do anything

          Instead of studying the small number of people who do .
          Not big on generalizations, but in this case, since I HAVE done the research, there are a majority (at least 51%) of buyers of get rich, quick or otherwise, products who do not take action. Maybe they buy the dream, but there is a large chunk of the buyers who fulfill their dream via ownership of KNOWLEDGE, so when a topic, guru or something comes up they can chime in.

          We used to call them librarians, or collectors, today we might say they CURATE the products they buy, but you are right, most DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION.

          The study of INACTION, or why people never do what they buy, is certainly a legitimate study and falls under psychology, motivation, behavior. All very useful to a marketer.

          I get your point, and it applies to many here at the WF, who seem to want to know answers which are irrelevant to the marketing of a product. Thank goodness we live in a consumer society, and today, those places we used to call third world, have raised the standard of living for millions of people, because they have adapted to consumerism.

          Back to my original point though...in responding to sgalla414, re: the generalization made. And that subject, as you well know, has been discussed and beaten here with the MORE INCOME AND HAPPINESS thread.

          I don't disagree with SOME of what is being written, I don't like when the post says,

          people do, people want, most people, the majority of people, people don't etc.

          Unless there is some evidence to the contrary, let us give the individual some credit and not lump her into the masses for the sake of convenience. Yes, I know all posts represent a poster's opinion, but sometimes, those opinions make the people ...

          GordonJ
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528530].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by ceeczar View Post

    "The longest journey a person makes in his life is from the time he leaves school until he finds his life's vocation. And very few people complete that journey, they drift into a job"
    - E Joseph Cossman

    I think the get-rich-quick "guru's" miss the point (or could it be they are merely meeting a demand?)

    The point is to be FREE to live a live that rings true to you

    Not to some "approved" standard

    Sadly, way too many people tie their quest for freedom to some financial figure, when that isn't enough that they REALLY seek

    Of course money is important, no question about that.

    But how about more financial education that helps people find fulfillment in a way that feels authentic to them, not bending over backwards to be like some snakeoil salesman?

    What do you think?
    OK. If the get rich quick guru has gotten rich, then maybe he/she has a point? And CERTAINLY they are meeting a demand. It has been an evergreen demand for centuries, and today, with the Internet, it is the perfect thing to serve up.

    You say; "The POINT is to be FREE to live a life that rings true to you." Aren't you assuming you know what is true for the many who opt to try to get rich? Why do you assume they are not being authentic?

    Lot of judgement in your post about what other people are doing or not doing and apparently many are not living life according to the rules of ceeczar, are they?

    How many people do your reckon have bent over backwards to be like some snake oil salesman? And is this how you regard E. Joseph Cossman, as a snake oil salesman?

    You made your point, but I strongly disagree with it.

    GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528445].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ceeczar
      Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

      How many people do your reckon have bent over backwards to be like some snake oil salesman? And is this how you regard E. Joseph Cossman, as a snake oil salesman?

      You made your point, but I strongly disagree with it.

      GordonJ
      Hello GordonJ

      I'm curious: please how did you arrive at your assumption that I see E Joseph Cossman as a snake oil salesman???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529033].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by ceeczar View Post

        Hello GordonJ

        I'm curious: please how did you arrive at your assumption that I see E Joseph Cossman as a snake oil salesman???
        I'll address your original post . The vast majority of humanity has no real interest in freedom . As they would sell themselves into bondage if they where getting a much more comfortable human experience.

        And a great number seem to require suffering in that bondage to justify the comfort and the nice things
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529136].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ceeczar
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          I'll address your original post . The vast majority of humanity has no real interest in freedom . As they would sell themselves into bondage if they where getting a much more comfortable human experience.

          And a great number seem to require suffering in that bondage to justify the comfort and the nice things
          Thanks for the input

          But going by what you are saying, why won't anyone have a "real interest in freedom"?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529384].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by ceeczar View Post

            Thanks for the input

            But going by what you are saying, why won't anyone have a "real interest in freedom"?
            The nature of the human is the mastery of limitation .you wipe away those limits and the humans you don't destroy .just set about imposing and mastering a new set of limits .

            When you give a human freedom . The human tpically finds new bondage to get into. Or creats new biunderies for them selves .

            You may have the freedom to chose the work you do where you live who you marry .

            Which is a real new thing in the human race . But you have to earn money some how .you have to live somewhere .

            The freedom you have is tied to where you set the limits of your life .

            When I state it is rare that anyone wants freedom . Is that few will own their ability to set limits on themselves and the majority will blame a list of things that the believe impose all the limits in their life
            Signature

            "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529532].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
        Originally Posted by ceeczar View Post

        Hello GordonJ

        I'm curious: please how did you arrive at your assumption that I see E Joseph Cossman as a snake oil salesman???
        If I had made an assumption, I would have made a statement.

        I ASKED a question because you used a quote in your thread and made a statement about snake oil salesman. So I wondered, but never assumed, if you thought EJC was in that group.

        I still do.

        GordonJ
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529158].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ceeczar
          Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

          If I had made an assumption, I would have made a statement.

          I ASKED a question because you used a quote in your thread and made a statement about snake oil salesman. So I wondered, but never assumed, if you thought EJC was in that group.

          I still do.

          GordonJ
          Thanks for clarifying, GordonJ

          I feel the Cossman quote I mentioned conveys a much more sublime worldview compared to the snake oil salesmen alternative

          Cossman particularly used a word VOCATION which I don't see stressed in much of the ads I've seen offering "financial freedom"

          (Admittedly I don't read through much of these "ads" as much as I used to)

          Thanks again
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kinga7
    Exactly what I needed to hear.. thanks so much for the lovely quote
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    smiles is the longest journey you can make

    there is a mile between the s's
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11528511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicoleitig
    A lot of people spend way too much chasing the dollar, looking for the fastest/easiest way to make money or just settle for a mediocre job that makes them unhappy. What they don't realize is that if they just put that much effort into doing something they enjoy or are passionate about, the money will follow as long as they put the work in and continue to educate themselves along the way. To me, that is the key to being "free".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529115].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by nicoleitig View Post

      A lot of people spend way too much chasing the dollar, looking for the fastest/easiest way to make money or just settle for a mediocre job that makes them unhappy. What they don't realize is that if they just put that much effort into doing something they enjoy or are passionate about, the money will follow as long as they put the work in and continue to educate themselves along the way. To me, that is the key to being "free".
      Are they really chsing it do they really believe it ..or does the or is it like watching porn. Or buying comic books or going to strip clubs .

      They would not buy over and over again if it did not satisfy some need .

      In our culture people who make lots of money many times are treated like super heros or on some platform higher than everyone else

      So every time the next product is being considered a person gets to imagine being on that platform living life like rich people

      The same way people imagine what they would do with the money if they will. The lottery from the time they buy the ticket to the time the numbers are drawn

      The same behavior happens in1000 other areas of life .
      Signature

      "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    Originally Posted by ceeczar View Post

    The point is to be FREE to live a live that rings true to you

    But what if the life that rings true to someone is to establish an Islamic caliphate that stretches from New York to Beijing? or revive the Third Reich?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11529688].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics