Prospecting to sell mobile website services

22 replies
Hey Warriors,
I'm just wondering what is the best way to determine if a website has a mobile version or not when you are doing prospecting? I'm sure some of you will say "check the site on your cell phone", but I have V.A's in the Philippines that are doing email prospecting for me and don't have smart phones, so I need something that will work for them.

I remember that if you use Google.com/m it used to show a green phone icon beside any sites that were optimized for mobile but now it isn't working (at least on Google.ca it isn't).

What is everyone doing to make prospecting easier?
#mobile #mobile sites #prospecting #sell #services #website
  • Profile picture of the author mikeyman120
    To do this on my computer and not a cell phone I use blackbaud labs ibbdemo2 iphone emulator here:

    Blackbaud Labs - Labs Article

    It works great if the site has a mobile version, you should get it on this. You can't do that on iphonetester.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4774703].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hackbridge
      Originally Posted by mikeyman120 View Post

      To do this on my computer and not a cell phone I use blackbaud labs ibbdemo2 iphone emulator here:

      Blackbaud Labs - Labs Article

      It works great if the site has a mobile version, you should get it on this. You can't do that on iphonetester.com
      Does this website still work? This is the page your link takes us to:


      And this is where the download link takes visitor:


      Am I doing something wrong?


      Brian
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4801992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jay Moreno
    @OP just fyi the green handset icon only show if the site validates to a mobile standard ie XHTML MP - most websites designed for smartphone tend not to, i wish they did though! Also google.com/m is for non smart phone search

    cheers

    jay
    Signature
    Sorry, I am too busy helping people to think of a cool signature!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4776654].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4782601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    but that doesnt tell you whether theyve already got a mobile site ie an m. or .mobi ,
    Signature

    Mike

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4782798].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ryanpadilla
      That's a great resource, it shows both websites. I'm going to start using that instead of my phone when I'm at home now. It shows both if they do have a mobile site, and if they have one and it doesnt show up on that then its not forwarded yet.

      Thank you for this resource, it will make my job a lot easier now.

      I am going to share this if you don't mind.
      Signature

      <a href="http://bestmobi.us">I build and sell mobile websites.</a> /
      <a href="http://drobelinc.net">I do internet Marketing.</a> /
      2-3 page mobile website for warriors for $45. If you want more we can talk. Just PM Me.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794059].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Big Gee
        Originally Posted by ryanpadilla View Post

        That's a great resource, it shows both websites. I'm going to start using that instead of my phone when I'm at home now. It shows both if they do have a mobile site, and if they have one and it doesnt show up on that then its not forwarded yet.

        Thank you for this resource, it will make my job a lot easier now.

        I am going to share this if you don't mind.
        wow just checked the link out by noahawebster..thats a great share !
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794099].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author andrea12
          Pretty cool .. That's a great resource.It works great if the site has a mobile version, you should get it on this.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794182].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author xtirpata
          Yes, thanks, Noah!

          A very useful tool indeed
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794205].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author UncleChucke
            Mobile Web @ W3C

            Here is another way to check out if a website is mobile friendly....this is a great tool to show the prospect and then the percentage change after you have fixed the site....also tells you what to fix.

            Cheers, UncleChucke

            Go under the developers section and click on the check website
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4797419].message }}
            • Originally Posted by UncleChucke View Post

              Mobile Web @ W3C

              Here is another way to check out if a website is mobile friendly....this is a great tool to show the prospect and then the percentage change after you have fixed the site....also tells you what to fix.

              Cheers, UncleChucke

              Go under the developers section and click on the check website
              I think the W3C is more accurate. But I would like another cross check too...
              The sayuconnect one is cool by showing the web and a mobile version - but you don't know if the mobile works, it has no stats or anything...if it was that simple, they would all work? -

              I tested one that looks cool - but W3C said it was zero% compatible...
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798243].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scarab
      Originally Posted by mjbmedia View Post

      but that doesnt tell you whether theyve already got a mobile site ie an m. or .mobi ,
      I am not understanding your post.I tried noahwebmaster's link and tested 5 sites that I built mobile sites for. All of the sites are m. subdomains with redirection built into the main browser site. I could see the boththe main site and the mobile site. I also tried the emulator on a site that does not have mobile site. It showed the main site in both emulators.

      For me it was easy to notice that the one site did not have a mobile optimized site.

      Can you please explain a little bit more?
      Thanks
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802594].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
        The SayUCOnnect.com site isn't working for me. On my iPhone, my website redirects to the mobile version with no problems. In that emulator, both their fake phone and their browser only show the full site.

        Maybe it doesn't like my redirect script?

        Originally Posted by scarab View Post

        I am not understanding your post.I tried noahwebmaster's link and tested 5 sites that I built mobile sites for. All of the sites are m. subdomains with redirection built into the main browser site. I could see the boththe main site and the mobile site. I also tried the emulator on a site that does not have mobile site. It showed the main site in both emulators.

        For me it was easy to notice that the one site did not have a mobile optimized site.

        Can you please explain a little bit more?
        Thanks
        Signature

        grrr...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4803884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aimco
    thata a very useful tool
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4800196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stvmn88
    Make the web server think you're a mobile phone browser. How? With the addon for Firefox that sets the User Agent to a Mobile Browser.

    http://mobilefront.net/firefoxua

    Your VA would just hit the sites with Firefox with this addon installed, and have it set to iPhone.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4801931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    Anyone found a good tool for prospecting? Some of these links aren't working and other tools are not ideal. Would still like to see some solutions here.
    Signature

    grrr...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4841769].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thriftgirl62
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842565].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author midasman09
        Banned
        Why not consider setting up a "Mobile Site Directory" for your area?

        This is where you List Mobile Sites by Category. Makes it easy for local consumers to find Local Mobile Sites.

        Then...because YOU are setting up a different "Platform" for Mobile Sites...you do NOT have to be concerned about whether or not a biz has a Mobile Site or not. In fact...those who ALREADY have Mobile Sites are ALREADY SOLD on "Mobile" and are the BEST prospects to have for your Directory!

        And....the best way I know of to "prospect" for clients for your Mobile Site Directory...is to make up a 90 sec Video showing WHY they should have a Mobile Site....IN your Directory.....then phone them and tell them you have a Video you'd like to email to them...that shows HOW your "Mobile Site Directory" can bring them oodles of business.

        Don Alm
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4843804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mobileico
    Just my two cents, but I would highly suggest for them to get a smartphone. Many places here in the states are practically giving Androids away...literally. I could probably guess this is happening in the Philippines as well. Everyone in your organization should have one, it makes training more fluid. If they can't afford one, I don't know what to tell you except for what these guys on here are saying. The only thing I can recommend is that everyone is equipped. Your team should just be as structured like a sports team, political machine, military division, etc. Good luck in everything you do
    Signature

    "My aim in design and UX is elegance, intelligence, functionality, and fun." - Wallace Morrison.
    Desktop - Mobileico.com / Mobile - m.mobileico.com
    Featured in Google's video about mobilizing, Mobile 1:35
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Rzs5Iud20bk

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andy Bo
      1st post...go easy

      Hi all,

      I am just starting out on the mobile track and have been extremely interested in the posts so far (many thanks guys & gals ). The major problem offering a m. or /mobile subdomain is that it would take a negotiation with the clients present web developer to upload the work you have done to their existing .com or whatever? They might not be keen to give a new and external developer access to the control panel for the main site and everytime changes needed to made this interaction would need to occur? I was nearly ready to go out prospecting when I came across this thread and started to worry that it could be a barrier to my business. However, because you are building trust with the client and offering to do updates on a weekly/monthly basis surely it would be better to create a .mobi standalone site and offer free hosting (a cost you would have to absorb). You could then charge for updates on the weekly special offers, FB fanpages, email opt in, and SMS campaigns etc etc. IE overcoming the "I'm paying twice for hosting!!!!" and providing the client with a mobile solution designed to get more customers (sizzle) rather than an additional domain name and hosting (sausage).
      Would love to know what you think
      Best regards,
      Andy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5025835].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JToneyUK
        Andy, regardless of which approach you take you still need to have contact with the web developer to implement a redirect script.

        I think the main scenario you'll come across is a "web guy" made the site, has the FTP and hosting details and has just moved on since doing the site for them. Sometimes a business owner might know their hosting company and can request the details, or may have the original email with the ftp details. But it's unlikely.

        If a business owner totally depended on that web guy, they can still request the details from him if they employ someone else to do work for them, any currrent developer cannot really hold them hostage on this.

        Where things may get tricky is if you're offering to do monthly updates etc. They may try to get their old developer to do those for you. But why would they, if their old web guy has never been in touch with them since they made their site? It's upto you to build a good relationship and that means staying in contact and showing an interest in this persons business.

        So the ideal scenario is that you get the details for the website and the business owner now see's you as their web go to guy. You have a monthly recurring fee with this person and you do monthly updates to the mobile site. Down the line he wants changes to his main site and you do them. You then educate him on the benefits of Facebook and Youtube and you implement some of these things for him also. Next you sell SMS marketing to him and you help his business grow!

        Originally Posted by Andy Bo View Post

        1st post...go easy

        Hi all,

        I am just starting out on the mobile track and have been extremely interested in the posts so far (many thanks guys & gals ). The major problem offering a m. or /mobile subdomain is that it would take a negotiation with the clients present web developer to upload the work you have done to their existing .com or whatever? They might not be keen to give a new and external developer access to the control panel for the main site and everytime changes needed to made this interaction would need to occur? I was nearly ready to go out prospecting when I came across this thread and started to worry that it could be a barrier to my business. However, because you are building trust with the client and offering to do updates on a weekly/monthly basis surely it would be better to create a .mobi standalone site and offer free hosting (a cost you would have to absorb). You could then charge for updates on the weekly special offers, FB fanpages, email opt in, and SMS campaigns etc etc. IE overcoming the "I'm paying twice for hosting!!!!" and providing the client with a mobile solution designed to get more customers (sizzle) rather than an additional domain name and hosting (sausage).
        Would love to know what you think
        Best regards,
        Andy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5026757].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Andy Bo
          Thanks JToneyUK
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5027041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rome54Vale
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4858041].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4858197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lukas
    I use a firefox add-ons to see if they have a mobile website - wmlbrowser and modify headers. What is strange is I have noticed a few clients had mobile versions of their website but went back to desktop version. I even see big airfare ticket sites w/o mobile. I am beginning to think that people will use their fingers and just slide over to the contact form area. Although, the 1st day I put a mobile site for my website it got an additional 100 visitors so there you go.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5027512].message }}

Trending Topics