Mobile is the wrong niche.

45 replies
I just read on a french magazine and they say that tablet will oversell mobile phones and more people will use tablet to browse web rather than their phone or PC.

Mobile sites we see here is for mobile, try to look on a tablet, it's awful, also better browse the desktop like website. The problem with desktop website on an ipad or tablet is that sometime you have to zoom to read text or click a button.

So I think a tablet web design is what will work.

Some interesting news: iPad has 88% of global tablet web traffic, but Kindle Fire could start eating it | VentureBeat

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/amazon-...gn-05-09-2011/


iPad snags 95.7% of all U.S. tablet web traffic - The Next Web
#mobile #niche #wrong
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    This is just one persons opinion at the end of the day.

    People are not going to be trouncing around with tablets in their pockets so mobile phones will always make up a very large percentage of mobile web browsing. When I am on the road looking for local restaurants or local services I am using a mobile device... not a tablet.

    There is a reason mobile phones are called mobile phones -- because they are nice and mobile. A tablet not so much.

    Wouldn't be the first time the french have been wrong
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5471767].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MaggieMay
      Have to agree with WillR
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5472658].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lmr1
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      This is just one persons opinion at the end of the day.

      People are not going to be trouncing around with tablets in their pockets so mobile phones will always make up a very large percentage of mobile web browsing. When I am on the road looking for local restaurants or local services I am using a mobile device... not a tablet.

      There is a reason mobile phones are called mobile phones -- because they are nice and mobile. A tablet not so much.

      Wouldn't be the first time the french have been wrong
      This pretty much sums it up!!! Thanks Will, you always have a stellar response and could not have said it better myself....lol!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5476344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Keith Green
      I completely agree with WillR.
      Mobiles are mobiles And tablets cant replace mobiles.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5495088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SergeParis
      Hey Will, I totally agree with you, and you know that I'm french
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5509789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author almondj
      WillR hit it on the head, can't simply fit a tablet in my pocket.

      Yes I could get a case for my tablet, well then I might as well just bring my laptop. I do an extreme amount of browsing from my phone, I'm sure others here have done so as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5527624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    I like the new ultra thin notebooks shown at CES that have touch screen that converts to tablet. Full function, super thin light notebook that has tablet function as well. I bought a tablet (of course had to buy a wireless keyboard too) but end up using my laptop. Much easier w/ finger pad to move mouse around, instead of more work w/ touch screen, and keyboard is 10x faster than typing on screen. For traveling, lightweight browsing a tablet is fine, more media consumption.

    The ultra books will be best of both worlds. why have a laptop and a tablet? kind of a waste and pain to sync etc....
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5472704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel LaRusso
    And if you use the legit mobile design systems, like a certain person's who responded three posts above mine, its a moot point because your mobile website automatically redirects to said mobile version on a tablet, looks GREAT on an iPad (believe me, I've seen my own sites on an iPad), AND gives the tablet user the option to go to the desktop version.

    But thank you though, you have just given me yet another selling point when presenting to prospects.
    Signature

    It is unwise to trust all you read on the internet.
    - Benjamin Franklin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5474145].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mymoneyteam
      Yeah french are wrong again, it common sense to think that mobile technology is getting better every month and getting quicker every month. People will always use there mobile's for searching whilst out and about. Tablets will take over laptops and pc in the future and that wont really be a niche because many sites already look okay on a tablet if they do on a pc.

      Mobile is the next big thing. Just try it instead of trying to find negatives
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5474260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    There is a huge opportunity for businesses to use tablets as a selling device and upselling to captive clients in their businesses. There will be huge opportunities to make money in this area.

    Tablets are now cheap enough, (no not $500 ipads! LOL) for businesses to deploy several.
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5474365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KingMedia
    As far as I know, there is no "switcher" for tablets. Just desktop or mobile site. I suppose if you built your desktop site with tablets in mind you would use a "fluid theme" so it stretches and manipulated images, buttons, and makes it to look good on either application. BUT, still use a separate mobile website that you can control how everything looks.

    Lot of new WP templates now that are made specific for desktop to tablet (fluid) and mobile (but there mobile versions are still squished versions of the desktop)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5474412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HypeText
      A properly designed Mobile site will show up just fine on a Tablet's or IPad's 7" or 9" screen.

      While tablet's are selling very well, there will ALWAYS be more cellphones out there and obviously that is the intended audience for mobile websites.

      Giving a user the option to view a site in either Mobile or Desktop version is important and should always be included.
      Signature
      (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
      Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
      $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5476226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KyleGolemMedia
    Originally Posted by 4webmaster View Post

    I just read on a french magazine and they say that tablet will oversell mobile phones and more people will use tablet to browse web rather than their phone or PC.

    Mobile sites we see here is for mobile, try to look on a tablet, it's awful, also better browse the desktop like website. The problem with desktop website on an ipad or tablet is that sometime you have to zoom to read text or click a button.

    So I think a tablet web design is what will work.

    Some interesting news: iPad has 88% of global tablet web traffic, but Kindle Fire could start eating it | VentureBeat

    Amazon Testing New Tablet Friendly WebSite Design | Geeky Gadgets


    iPad snags 95.7% of all U.S. tablet web traffic - The Next Web
    It's really hard to agree with this mainly because of what Will is saying -- Tablets are a means of browsing. Sure, you can do the same from a phone but people are usually looking for specific information from their phone. Especially when it comes to where people are selling these sites.

    I too think the French are wrong about this one
    Signature
    Need Help Growing Your Audience?
    Let an experienced Marketer help! PM me with project details.
    Google AdWords, Bing Ads, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5476428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author javarog
    To me I think that there is probably more ecommerce done on tablets so the direction maybe tablet optimized e commerce sites.
    Signature

    And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

    Abraham Lincoln

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5477538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author osiedle
    I've visited hundreds of site on the IPad 2 with no problems in viewing. True, sometimes you do have to zoom to read smaller text, but I find that when sites are designed well, there are no problems. I find more issues in viewing websites on my small LG phone, but when sites are optimized for mobile, it's ok.
    Signature
    Website for Sale! --> $3,246/mo 1K unq #1 Google - 100% OUTSOURCED 2-Yr Old Drop ship Site
    CLICK HERE TO BID ON THIS FLIPPA AUCTION
    HURRY -- Auction ends soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5477827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarah Harvey
    Personally I don't like browsing the internet with a mobile. So no loss there.
    Signature
    "Find the problem and provide the solution."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nanaswhimsy
    I still say HTML 5 "Responsive" (as someone was so kind to point out to me it was called) web design will be the way to go, then it is not a matter of what type of device you are using, it can be seen on all. no sub domain required.

    Suzanne
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5480240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisjenva
    Yeah, smart phones aren't going anywhere. You can't carry a tablet in your pocket. Tablets will take over laptops for sure. Eventually HTML5 Responsive Websites will be the way to go. Then it shouldn't matter what you are using.
    Signature
    ==>Founders Needed! Only 2 more Positions Available!<==
    Get 100% back on your WSO Purchases. Earn when others buy WSOs. Share in a special BONUS POOL that pays for 12 months! New Concept!
    Email chrisjenva @ gmail.com or PM me for details...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5481606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WaynesWorld
    I do disagree with the French with one.

    Tablets are just another means of browsing. Tablets can not replace mobile phones and most importantly, it can not take mobile phones out of its niche. Mobile marketing will continue to grow and programs that can integrate mobile marketing and social media will help this growth of digital marketing as well!
    Signature
    Trumpia's Affiliate Partner Program: "Best Affiliate Program"
    TRUMPIA FREE WEBINARS & TUTORIAL VIDEOS ON SMS MOBILE MARKETING

    CONTACT WAYNE KAO FOR WARRIOR COMMISSION RATE!
    Wayne@MyTrum.com
    / Phone: 415-484-4219
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5483075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anjan Kumar
    i dont think tablet replaces mobile....atleast in the near future....mobile is mobile , it will just become more smart...........
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5495792].message }}
  • Mobile is only going to get bigger. The whole pie is growing. Pretty soon babies will have cell phones to order baby food. Hmmm. That sounds like a good niche.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5495868].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author midasman09
      Banned
      HOGWASH 2!

      I work with 2 types of "small" businesses.....

      1) Pizzerias
      2) Small MOTEL Owners

      Now....picture this; There's a few "small".... LOW-CLASS Motels in YOUR area! (Just pick up your local YP and look under "Motels") Look for those Motels that do NOT spend ANY money on "Advertising".

      THESE are your "Prime Prospects" for what I'm about to tell you.

      Put your body into the Body of people checking into "CLASS Z" Motels, in YOUR area.....this afternoon!

      Do these folks carry FOOD....with them? (No!)
      Are these folks HUNGRY? (You bet!)
      Do these folks carry a "Mobile Phone" with them? (This is one of the unique things about Americans. They may be the "poorest of the poor"... BUT...they have a Mobile Phone with them)
      Would the local SMALL Pizza Shops be interested in getting Pizza Orders from these "Hungry Travelers?"

      What if....when these "Lower Class Travelers" enter their MOTEL room in the "Scurviest of the Scurviest Motels....they see a "Sign" that says...."HAVE A DELICIOUS PIZZA DELIVERED TO YOUR ROOM!"

      Would THAT sign get their attention! You Betcha!

      So....forget about trying to appeal to the "BIG Bux Affluent Class"!

      There IS A WAY to make BIG BUX....I'm talkin' HUGE BUX.........by simply working with small pizza joints and "Down an 'Dirty...Lo Class Motels"!

      Forget about trying to appeal to the "High Class" with their Fancy-Schmancy Mobile Devices. There will ALWAYS be a "newer one"...next month! I'm talkin' about working with the "Lower Class" who can afford to order a Pizza delivered to their room....by simply seeing a "Sign" in their room...telling them they can "Have a Mouth-Watering PIZZA delivered to their room....just by ....entering a URL or Clicking a "Tap To Call" button on the Cell Phone!

      Whala! I'm talkin' BIG BUX from the local, SMALL business pizza shops!

      So.......there's a WHOLE BIG WORLD out there....combining..."Mobile Phones with Motel Guests with Small Pizza Joints"!

      Don Alm...."realist" and...."Marketing and Promotion guy from waay baack"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496106].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sabreena
        hello,

        I don't like to use and browse net on mobile...! i only like to use on my PC...!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5506820].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tessa Holmes
        Good point midasman09! I understand that Ipads and tablets are getting cheaper and more accessible, but smartphone traffic brings more targeted traffic. There are some statistics that show people browsing Internet for local hotels or restaurants via phones are in 'buying mood'. Phone traffic is possibly very specific one, but it brings people who are near the location and ready to BUY.
        Signature
        Can I Haz A CheezBurgr?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5528329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wilder1047
    Another one, eh?!

    Let me start by saying here again, I'm not in the mobile market, so I'm indifferent.

    But, people seem to be lacking the understanding of the driving force behind the mobile movement.

    This is about convenience and an on-the-go lifestyle, that a tablet or laptop just don't allow for (not very easily anyway)

    When mobiles started to catch on, everyone didn't say, "Oh, that's it, this laptop is now just a paperweight!"

    All of these things are supplementing each other with their own pros and cons list.

    The reason that phone sales have destroyed the laptop/desktop market is simply due to the price tag, you can lock yourself into a 3 year term and get an iphone for next to nothing, and with android and others in the market, you CAN get smart phones for zero down.

    Tablets are a nice medium, but they don't replace either or. Because quite frankly, the functionality doesn't touch a computer, and it's mobility doesn't touch a mobile phone.. it's more a luxury then anything else.

    Thanks,

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5506973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shoot
    Why not just write your code to scale to from all phones screen sizes up to tablet screen sizes?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5515607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
    Originally Posted by 4webmaster View Post

    I just read on a french magazine and they say that tablet will oversell mobile phones and more people will use tablet to browse web rather than their phone or PC.

    Mobile sites we see here is for mobile, try to look on a tablet, it's awful, also better browse the desktop like website. The problem with desktop website on an ipad or tablet is that sometime you have to zoom to read text or click a button.

    So I think a tablet web design is what will work.

    Some interesting news: iPad has 88% of global tablet web traffic, but Kindle Fire could start eating it | VentureBeat

    Amazon Testing New Tablet Friendly WebSite Design | Geeky Gadgets


    iPad snags 95.7% of all U.S. tablet web traffic - The Next Web

    =========================
    Hi,

    I am not sure why there will be a difference between Mobile Phones and Tablets...For me these two categories are just but the same.

    Any "mobile" devices like Samsung Tab....will have the capacity to use phone's SIM to receive/send text.

    Android Market -- will always have ways to present a website according to their required specs.

    Cheers!

    Mary
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5516281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Heath Sanchez
    the french? as if one guy's opinion represents the entire race.

    optimize your site for both and there's no problem
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5517688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author UTarmadillo
      Bottom line, tablet doesn't fit in your pocket.
      Tablets will probably be more competitive against the desktop or laptop for convenience as memory and solid state hard drives advance.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RySpencer
    Why develop sites built for tablets? They view regular sites perfectly.
    Once 4G is launched, data will be smaller to transport over the network, therefore using up less bandwidth.

    In the end, yes phones will still be used more than tablets. The reason I don't buy a tablet?? Why do I need a bigger version of my phone that doesn't fit in my pocket? I have a laptop I lug around with all day to work from, and it has a keyboard.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shopperpk
    Mobile phones are the best niche to market and advertise your business. It would be changing the use of tablets in near future. That is the reason everyone is having or going for a mobile website.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5525576].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hugh Turner
    my wife is on her iphone all day... (mostly facebook) staring at it... and scrolling with her little finger...

    the iPad only used at bed time...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5532098].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jennie smith
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5532734].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author koolphoto
        I use an Android phone when running around. I look for restaurants or businesses with the yelp app, Poynt or Google places app.

        I have a Motorola Xoom tablet that I use while watching TV or in bed.

        I only use my desktop or laptop for work nowadays.

        I use my smartphone the most.
        Signature

        My name is Ken Katz and I am a Web Designer and Photographer. My motto: "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse." -Jim Rohn

        Celebrity Portrait Photgapher - My Photography Portfolio.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5534443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Anton
    I don't know about "wrong". Some of the statistics are actually pretty scary for conventional internet marketing. People are going to be searching less and get to the content much easier, or use very generic phrases (who wants to type on a small mobile device). There is huge opportunity in mobile. Local is where you should do some testing and grab some clients before huge corporations contact them for their services.
    Signature
    BacklinksIndexer - automated index/bulk links
    TwitterBacklinks - retweets service
    Web2.0Backlinks - web2.0 creation/link building
    Google+ Matthew Anton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tusen
    Mobile space has been growing so fast. Not sure how it is the wrong niche. Definitely the place to be on right now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5540850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roberto F Carrera
      Banned
      Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

      HOGWASH 2!

      I work with 2 types of "small" businesses.....

      1) Pizzerias
      2) Small MOTEL Owners

      Now....picture this; There's a few "small".... LOW-CLASS Motels in YOUR area! (Just pick up your local YP and look under "Motels") Look for those Motels that do NOT spend ANY money on "Advertising".

      THESE are your "Prime Prospects" for what I'm about to tell you.

      Put your body into the Body of people checking into "CLASS Z" Motels, in YOUR area.....this afternoon!

      Do these folks carry FOOD....with them? (No!)
      Are these folks HUNGRY? (You bet!)
      Do these folks carry a "Mobile Phone" with them? (This is one of the unique things about Americans. They may be the "poorest of the poor"... BUT...they have a Mobile Phone with them)
      Would the local SMALL Pizza Shops be interested in getting Pizza Orders from these "Hungry Travelers?"

      What if....when these "Lower Class Travelers" enter their MOTEL room in the "Scurviest of the Scurviest Motels....they see a "Sign" that says...."HAVE A DELICIOUS PIZZA DELIVERED TO YOUR ROOM!"

      Would THAT sign get their attention! You Betcha!

      So....forget about trying to appeal to the "BIG Bux Affluent Class"!

      There IS A WAY to make BIG BUX....I'm talkin' HUGE BUX.........by simply working with small pizza joints and "Down an 'Dirty...Lo Class Motels"!

      Forget about trying to appeal to the "High Class" with their Fancy-Schmancy Mobile Devices. There will ALWAYS be a "newer one"...next month! I'm talkin' about working with the "Lower Class" who can afford to order a Pizza delivered to their room....by simply seeing a "Sign" in their room...telling them they can "Have a Mouth-Watering PIZZA delivered to their room....just by ....entering a URL or Clicking a "Tap To Call" button on the Cell Phone!

      Whala! I'm talkin' BIG BUX from the local, SMALL business pizza shops!

      So.......there's a WHOLE BIG WORLD out there....combining..."Mobile Phones with Motel Guests with Small Pizza Joints"!

      Don Alm...."realist" and...."Marketing and Promotion guy from waay baack"
      Love this, simple but very effective. Also saw one where you get a butcher (or some other business) and a Jeweler and team them up. The butcher sends his clients a Christmas card to say he wants to give them a good present for being such a good customer to him. He gives them a 20% off voucher for the Jewelers. Not the mark up on jewelery is massive, so they can give a 20% discount easily. Think of all the extra customers that are going to go into the jewelers to use their 20% voucher. All extra sales he wouldn't have had except from the butcher. The butcher gets 20% of all extra profit and you get 10% for doing very little. This can be done with many different businesses. Just don't tell them what you are planning to do UNLESS they sign a NDA..

      Originally Posted by wilder1047 View Post

      Another one, eh?!

      Let me start by saying here again, I'm not in the mobile market, so I'm indifferent.

      But, people seem to be lacking the understanding of the driving force behind the mobile movement.

      This is about convenience and an on-the-go lifestyle, that a tablet or laptop just don't allow for (not very easily anyway)

      When mobiles started to catch on, everyone didn't say, "Oh, that's it, this laptop is now just a paperweight!"

      All of these things are supplementing each other with their own pros and cons list.

      The reason that phone sales have destroyed the laptop/desktop market is simply due to the price tag, you can lock yourself into a 3 year term and get an iphone for next to nothing, and with android and others in the market, you CAN get smart phones for zero down.

      Tablets are a nice medium, but they don't replace either or. Because quite frankly, the functionality doesn't touch a computer, and it's mobility doesn't touch a mobile phone.. it's more a luxury then anything else.

      Thanks,

      James
      Totally agree.

      Originally Posted by tusen View Post

      Mobile space has been growing so fast. Not sure how it is the wrong niche. Definitely the place to be on right now!
      100%. Get on a ride the wave....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7310785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Levira
    Why would anyone think mobile is the wrong niche? How many of us have mobile phones and not tablets? Even posting on WP can easily be done on a phone. And it doesn't even have to be an expensive smartphone, at least not as costly as a tablet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5544076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojo1
    I totally agree with Matthew #38 above.

    American Express now has a SEO division which is a sign of the intense local business marketing competition to come.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5548949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anjan Kumar
    At the end of the day i make products and services that serve both niches and stay happy... make customers happy...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7299525].message }}
    • Both Google & Microsoft Tag have said that 50% of local search is done on a mobile device. Now I'm not too sure what they classify as a mobile device but I would assume smartphones as I have not seen people whipping out their tablets to do a search while they are on the go.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7306809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shoopt
    Hey 4webmaster
    Mobile phone and tablets are totally different devices, mobile phone provides option to operate work that can be done from tablets but it is not the same with tablets. When you are roaming somewhere and have to search some store they prefer to have it done from mobile phone as it is in their pockets.
    Signature

    I am Daniel Jones, working in a Mobile Application Development Company as a Mobile App Developer. I enjoys exploring apps on iOS, blackberry, android and other mobile platforms.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7308034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moxil
    The trick is to provide desktop + mobile + tablet themes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7311117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Minista
    In few hear most development software will provide a way to get an adapted version of your Website for each screen size. I don't think that tablets will ever over pass smart phone for many reasons.
    Signature

    Google Maps Contact Extractor, a google maps scraper software (Scrape google places data)
    Yellow Pages Scraper software an easy to use Yellow pages scraper software
    Yelp Data Scraper software, extract data from yelp website.
    Management-Ware Extract Anywhere, Website data extractor software, create your scraper to extract data from almost any website. Door to door CRM software.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7311910].message }}

Trending Topics