In the last year a lot more people have been using/offering SMS services. What I would like to know is your actual experience using long codes and/or short codes and the pros/cons with each. I will start:
- Client's own their own long code, which gives a lot more flexibility in terms of campaigns. They can use any keyword they want.
- Because long codes use local numbers, there is a sense of trust; people know that their text is being sent locally
- Long codes do not have to be registered with each cell phone provider; they are treated and delivered like regular text messages
- Costs for long codes tend to be lower
- Harder to remember a 10 digit number vs a 5 or 6 digit number
- Limitation to number of text messages that can be sent; maximum about 600 per hour.
- Number is easier to remember and to text
- Can do large text blasts
- Short code platforms tend to more developed/easier to use (in my limited experience!)
- Have to be registered with all cell phone providers
- Some cell phone providers/plans may block incoming SMS short code messages
- If a client opts out from someone else's campaign using STOP ALL they will also opt out of yours (I assume this is how it would work)