Clone Wordpress Theme, Database & Settings?

20 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Is there a free way to do this?

I own the wordpress theme, and the domain and database are on my hosting account, which I am looking to clone, its set up nice and I want to reuse it on other domains I own.

To clone a website theme, it's database and theme settings, and then move it to another domain url?
#clone #database #settings #theme #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author BeechHill
    Try Duplicator, it's better then many of the premium cloners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7512779].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simple2Web
      Thank you, this is a really good find!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7555896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Confined To Life
    Just export the MySQL database and file from the File Manager in your cPanel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7512803].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tahoecale
      Originally Posted by Confined To Life View Post

      Just export the MySQL database and file from the File Manager in your cPanel.

      Exactly. export the SQL file with your PHPMYADMIN than make a new database and import that SQL file and than just open your file manger and compress the theme to a zip file and download it. upload the theme and extract it.

      Takes like 5 mins
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7512810].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Confined To Life
        Originally Posted by tahoecale View Post

        Exactly. export the SQL file with your PHPMYADMIN than make a new database and import that SQL file and than just open your file manger and compress the theme to a zip file and download it. upload the theme and extract it.

        Takes like 5 mins
        Yeah, it's quite a simple process. Then you'll need to edit the configuration file so that everything is pointing to your new domain. Then of course there's the editing of internal hyperlinks you've made on your posts and whatnot.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7512814].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author denysapu
          Originally Posted by Confined To Life View Post

          Yeah, it's quite a simple process. Then you'll need to edit the configuration file so that everything is pointing to your new domain. Then of course there's the editing of internal hyperlinks you've made on your posts and whatnot.
          Thank youuu
          Signature

          Don't worry be happy!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7555955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
    Sounds a bit confusing to me, I was hoping to find somekind of wordpress plugin that does it for you, preferably free.. simple and easy to use.
    Signature
    Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7513791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Confined To Life
      Originally Posted by Steve Wells View Post

      Sounds a bit confusing to me, I was hoping to find somekind of wordpress plugin that does it for you, preferably free.. simple and easy to use.
      Doubt you'll find anything of the sort. You're looking for 'how to export a website' not a WordPress plugin here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7513798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Greedy
    Try calling your hosting, lots of times they can help you move things around and duplicate sites quite easily. Also usually for free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7515026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    Jason Fladlien and Wil Mattos have WP Twin and it is one of the best cloners around. Here's the link: WP Twin - Clone & Backup WordPress Blogs In Seconds
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7515062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tmitsoff
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      Jason Fladlien and Wil Mattos have WP Twin and it is one of the best cloners around. Here's the link: WP Twin - Clone & Backup WordPress Blogs In Seconds
      I use WPTwin also. Have for years, and it is the easiest and most reliable cloner I've used.
      Signature
      Wondering what Bitcoin is all about? Learn it ALL here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7585746].message }}
  • WPTwin takes so much time to clone a site.. because you have to download / upload the zip file or the backup file (which expected to be more than 10MB depending on the files inside your wordpress site) ... and for me its not safe.. cuz you can extract a backup without logging in to the new site..

    I am using Xcloner.. PM me if you have a site to clone..and I can do it for you..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7583305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johndetlefs
    You can use Duplicator For WordPress

    I've haven't used it myself, but it's free and has been recommended to me by a couple of marketers.
    Signature

    You only get one shot at life - make it awesome.

    Everyone else also gets just one crack at it - help make theirs awesome too... or, politely step out of their way.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7583328].message }}
    • Originally Posted by johndetlefs View Post

      You can use Duplicator For WordPress

      I've haven't used it myself, but it's free and has been recommended to me by a couple of marketers.
      I have used XCloner for many websites already and its really easy. Proven! Im gonna try that Duplicator soon..

      by the way, XCloner is just a free plugin..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7583501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Just checked out Duplicator. Looks pretty slick. Going to give it a whirl
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7583810].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      Just checked out Duplicator. Looks pretty slick. Going to give it a whirl
      Let me know how it works....
      Signature
      Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7585689].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Steve Wells View Post

        Let me know how it works....

        I just used it. Pretty incredible. Very easy to clone a blog with this.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7585754].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Carol_A
        I'm surprised there is free software that does a good job with this... I use Wptwin and love it.

        Have you tried checking Elance or Fiverr to hire someone to do it inexpensively? Just a thought...

        Wishing you all the best.
        - Carol
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7585758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanshumehta
    Hi, Steve i have been doing this almost daily, so i can help you and explain you in an easy way to do this.

    Its hardly take 5 minutes to clone it .

    Catch me on skype will surely help out
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Marzinzik
    I'm another WPtwin fan! Cloning a wordpress site can be a nightmare. WPtwin clones from even different domains plus you can add their automatic backup module which uses a Cron to keep your backups nice and tidy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7588141].message }}

Trending Topics