I have $1500 - where to start?

32 replies
I'm hoping this is enough to get some decent education and do some entry level campaigns. First though, assume I only have brief background knowledge of CPA campaigns. I'm a programmer and I've built many many web applications so I understand all the technical aspects.

I have some questions before I plan my attack:

1. What books/ebooks/courses do you find essential?
2. Will I get value out of a paid forum/site at this stage (like stackthatmoney)
3. Essential software?
4. Good place to start in terms of facebook ads, pof ads etc
5. How would you distribute this $1500?

I was thinking first, get a couple of really great ebooks (after researched based on suggestions here), sign up at stackthatmoney, get some decent software and put the rest on an initial campaign.

I see stackthatmoney (and I assume others) have successful campaigns and case studies. My only worry is I wouldn't be able to use the information effectively with only $1500.

Appreciate any guidance. Wish me luck!

When I dedicate myself to something, I dedicate myself. Hopefully within the next 5 years I'll find my home in CPA
#$1500 #start
  • Profile picture of the author outwest
    Traffic BlackBook - Traffic & Media Buying Secrets from a REAL 6 Figure Affiliate

    There is a huge thread on that on the forum somewhere it comes HIGHLY recommended. The author is a huge player in CPA
    Signature
    Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
    specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5454989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MakeMoneyJames
    Originally Posted by Damien Roche View Post

    sign up at stackthatmoney
    yes you should definitely sign up there.

    As far as essential software, depends on what type of advertising you are doing.

    there are tons of ebooks out there that can teach you stuff, but really a private forum is waaaay better because you get the most up to date information, feedback from other members, and tools to go with it.

    There are hundreds of active members in STM including network owners (ads4D, Ryan Eagle from EWA, more i just can't think now), software owners (whatrunswhere.com/adbeat.com), and other members that can offer different view points on your projects.

    For the $100 a month it is... you can lose that money in paid advertising much quicker.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xerocube
    If i have 1500$ ,i would start buying niche blog that already earn in cpa or any affiliate network. Or i can build new micro niche network and buy tool like scrapebox or any like that
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455088].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author speedylikesKJ
    Originally Posted by Damien Roche View Post

    I'm hoping this is enough to get some decent education and do some entry level campaigns. First though, assume I only have brief background knowledge of CPA campaigns. I'm a programmer and I've built many many web applications so I understand all the technical aspects.

    I have some questions before I plan my attack:

    1. What books/ebooks/courses do you find essential?
    2. Will I get value out of a paid forum/site at this stage (like stackthatmoney)
    3. Essential software?
    4. Good place to start in terms of facebook ads, pof ads etc
    5. How would you distribute this $1500?

    I was thinking first, get a couple of really great ebooks (after researched based on suggestions here), sign up at stackthatmoney, get some decent software and put the rest on an initial campaign.

    I see stackthatmoney (and I assume others) have successful campaigns and case studies. My only worry is I wouldn't be able to use the information effectively with only $1500.

    Appreciate any guidance. Wish me luck!

    When I dedicate myself to something, I dedicate myself. Hopefully within the next 5 years I'll find my home in CPA
    If you are looking for a good course to learn i have just posted on my blog about a coach real EWA legend and he is offering one on one coaching on media buying i would highly recommend you to join this guy. i think that would be enough to say that Ryan himself is recommending his affiliates to join this guy tanner vaughn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MakeMoneyJames
      speedylikesKJ

      your link is broken.

      does tanners forum have tools like STM forums?

      heres the private forum speedy is recommending

      http://tannervaughn.com/private-forums/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455417].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Damien Roche
        Originally Posted by MakeMoneyJames View Post

        speedylikesKJ

        your link is broken.

        does tanners forum have tools like STM forums?

        heres the private forum speedy is recommending

        Private Forums | Internet Marketing Tips & Tricks
        Link isn't dead, as such. The profanity was censored. Have a look nearing the middle of that page you will see the link to the post he is referring to.
        Signature
        >> Seasoned Web Developer (CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) <<
        Available for Fixed Fee Projects and Hourly ($40/hr)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455666].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MakeMoneyJames
          Originally Posted by Damien Roche View Post

          Link isn't dead, as such. The profanity was censored. Have a look nearing the middle of that page you will see the link to the post he is referring to.
          Because the profanity was censored the link leads to a dead page.

          I saw the post he is referring to which is why I linked to the coaching forum he is recommending.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5456149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author opatrao24
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455948].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Damien Roche
      Originally Posted by opatrao24 View Post

      you could buy adspace,or you could do a credit report with like maybe 15 percent f that budget,and you could also read about SEO and media buying,because affiliae marketing is slowly dying out
      Affiliate marketing is slowly dying out? Do you have any reliable links to backup this claim?

      Thanks for input.
      Signature
      >> Seasoned Web Developer (CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) <<
      Available for Fixed Fee Projects and Hourly ($40/hr)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5456034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Manoj V
    Paid forums or ebooks - all of them provide value provided you take action. You can take action even without ebooks or paid forums and I'll tell you how. There are many threads which tell you how to proceed from the OPs own experience.

    Having said that, you can join STM or PPC-coach or better still join both or 2-3 paid forums for the first month decide which one is helping you the most and then continue with it - remember, taking action all the time is most important. No action - no results -> disillusionment.

    Btw, there's a $1 trial offer for PPC coach that I know of for WF members. Other forums might be having a trial offer too.

    Software - essentially you will need Prosper202 for tracking which is free. Try POF to start with because it has less competition than FB.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5457790].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Damien Roche
      Originally Posted by MakeMoneyJames View Post

      Because the profanity was censored the link leads to a dead page.

      I saw the post he is referring to which is why I linked to the coaching forum he is recommending.
      Thanks James, I get that. Just trying to help. Thought you were having trouble finding the link. To be honest, not really interested in blog posts suggesting software and scattering their affiliate links all over it.

      Originally Posted by Max P View Post

      Paid forums or ebooks - all of them provide value provided you take action. You can take action even without ebooks or paid forums and I'll tell you how. There are many threads which tell you how to proceed from the OPs own experience.

      Having said that, you can join STM or PPC-coach or better still join both or 2-3 paid forums for the first month decide which one is helping you the most and then continue with it - remember, taking action all the time is most important. No action - no results -> disillusionment.

      Btw, there's a $1 trial offer for PPC coach that I know of for WF members. Other forums might be having a trial offer too.

      Software - essentially you will need Prosper202 for tracking which is free. Try POF to start with because it has less competition than FB.
      Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.
      Signature
      >> Seasoned Web Developer (CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) <<
      Available for Fixed Fee Projects and Hourly ($40/hr)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5457919].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author web_dev
        If you're new I would start with PPV and promote cpl offer to get a taste of things.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5457968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomFang
    I highly recommend POF as a starting point for performance marketing. It's where I started (I also run mobile, Adcenter, and FB) and I have been consistent on it for a long time. It's the most affiliate friendly traffic source out there. You can talk to Ben who is the representative for all of POF's advertising directly and personally. In my and most ppl's opinions, it's the best paid traffic source out there...the ONLY downside is that it doesn't have the volume that FB has. FB hates affiliates. That's the biggest problem. You will not get any personal attention and they can ban you for whatever reason they want. Getting an account banned on FB (with a high spend limit) is one of the worst things I've experienced in marketing. I would definitely take your $1,500 to POF since it is a lot to start with for that traffic source. THat's the beauty of it. You can learn to be profitable with that much.

    I think you made a terrific move signing up with STM. I am a very active member there and I hope I see you there. If you do decide to go down the POF path, be sure to check the POF section there and also my site. It has free tools, tips, and tutorials on exclusively POF right now.

    Let me know if you run into more specific issues. Hope this helps!

    -Tom
    Signature
    Please stop making self-promotional posts. It wastes your time post them and ours deleting them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5465002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Damien Roche
      Originally Posted by TomFang View Post

      I highly recommend POF as a starting point for performance marketing. It's where I started (I also run mobile, Adcenter, and FB) and I have been consistent on it for a long time. It's the most affiliate friendly traffic source out there. You can talk to Ben who is the representative for all of POF's advertising directly and personally. In my and most ppl's opinions, it's the best paid traffic source out there...the ONLY downside is that it doesn't have the volume that FB has. FB hates affiliates. That's the biggest problem. You will not get any personal attention and they can ban you for whatever reason they want. Getting an account banned on FB (with a high spend limit) is one of the worst things I've experienced in marketing. I would definitely take your $1,500 to POF since it is a lot to start with for that traffic source. THat's the beauty of it. You can learn to be profitable with that much.

      I think you made a terrific move signing up with STM. I am a very active member there and I hope I see you there. If you do decide to go down the POF path, be sure to check the POF section there and also my site. It has free tools, tips, and tutorials on exclusively POF right now.

      Let me know if you run into more specific issues. Hope this helps!

      -Tom
      Thanks very much for this great response. Appreciate the support. I'll be sure to check out POF first.
      Signature
      >> Seasoned Web Developer (CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) <<
      Available for Fixed Fee Projects and Hourly ($40/hr)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5465695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GISA
    Don't invest in any 'GURU' products BS. I like the idea of getting into STACK Man's forum!

    It's well worth it. The tools Mr.Green and others share are just plenty which you'd otherwise spend for twice or three times the price.

    Not trying to sound like an affiliate pitch, but it's the best forum to grow connections and crank up your campaigns!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5465901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomFang
    Glad I could help!

    David heads up a world class forum at Aff Playbook too.

    I'm a member of both.

    If you want to do POF though, you can get the POF 7-Day Mastery Guide there free if you join .
    Normally costs $50.
    Signature
    Please stop making self-promotional posts. It wastes your time post them and ours deleting them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5476716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jordanberg2311
    go and launch a campaign
    you'll learn a million times more than reading forums/ebooks etc etc

    DO IT NOW OR NEVER
    Signature
    PM Me For Your PPC AdWords Help
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479587].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Damien Roche
      Originally Posted by jordanberg2311 View Post

      go and launch a campaign
      you'll learn a million times more than reading forums/ebooks etc etc

      DO IT NOW OR NEVER
      Thanks!

      I've just been accepted into CPAWay and have been applying for a few other decent networks. Going to setup tracking software and get started on a campaign.

      I just don't wanna throw money away on amateur mistakes I would have learned to avoid if I did some reading. I certainly don't mind taking risks, but only calculated risks. I'm not going to go in blind pretending I know what I'm doing
      Signature
      >> Seasoned Web Developer (CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) <<
      Available for Fixed Fee Projects and Hourly ($40/hr)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    Invest $97 on optimizepress.. Create a high converting landing page!
    Invest $100 - $150 in adwords for a campaign to see if it converts, if converts: Whack and invest the rest of your money to drive traffic to that landing page.

    If doesn't convert: Create another landing page to see if it converts again, repeat the process of investing $100 - $150 to see if you're profiting or not.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5480261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author guy99
    Buy a Domain and hosting
    Hire a SEO expert for the ranking of your website
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5535999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author outwest
      Originally Posted by guy99 View Post

      Buy a Domain and hosting
      Hire a SEO expert for the ranking of your website
      or you could always learn SEO its not that hard
      you do need if you want generic traffic, IMO Market Samurai for analyzing google top 10 competition, at least thats what I use
      Signature
      Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
      specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536928].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paramongoose
        Seo should always be the staple traffic for any IM, it does take time, but its good in the long run. I would suggest that you outsource back linking as its a real pain. I would also not suggest adwords with affiliate products, if you don't know exactly what you are doing, you will get your account suspended. If you are looking for a quick traffic method I would suggest media buying, by this I mean buying banners and sponsored posts on niche related blogs. Media buying usually works well, especially with cpa offers and for building lists fast.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5537137].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jdem02
          This post is to Tom Fang:
          Is your POF guide on stackthatmoney.com too?
          Signature


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5541217].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TomFang
            Originally Posted by jdem02 View Post

            This post is to Tom Fang:
            Is your POF guide on stackthatmoney.com too?
            Unfortunately, no, at this time it's only available at Aff Playbook with the membership. I am active on both forums though. Otherwise, you can pick it up on my site.

            -Tom
            Signature
            Please stop making self-promotional posts. It wastes your time post them and ours deleting them
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5547265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author indexphp
    To be honest, I don't think $1500 is enough to start with paid traffic. The more money you have to TEST with, the better off you'll be. If you have never run campaigns before, you'll probably end up losing the first $1000 while your trying things out. Then you'll be left with only $500. And it's really hard to scale a campaign with $500, even with weekly wires.

    If you do decide to test paid traffic with your $1500, I'd highly suggest you use that traffic to build up a prospect list. That means you have to choose a market and have that nailed down before you even start since it takes some effort to put together a real email sequence. There's some strategy to it as well. If you're looking for some help on this part, send me a PM and I'll point you to the proper resources.

    You would be 10x better off if you have a $1000/month BUDGET to play with vs. trying to make it work with a lump sum of $1500. Paid traffic is all about cashflow and you need to keep spending money to keep the traffic flowing. Since you need to keep spending money, usually losing a bulk of it before you can optimize it, you need to be set up with an offer or affiliate network that is paying you weekly (and doing so reliably!).

    None of what I'm saying is written in stone. It's totally possible that you can hit big on one of your first campaigns, but it usually doesn't happen like that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5546601].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ronaldec
      Start with saving it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5547813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kangtj
    Hi, would you mind to share what is your first step with your CPA campaign after getting suitable niche?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5547837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TomFang
      Originally Posted by kangtj View Post

      Hi, would you mind to share what is your first step with your CPA campaign after getting suitable niche?
      Find an offer to promote.
      Signature
      Please stop making self-promotional posts. It wastes your time post them and ours deleting them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5551344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author money200
    I think start buying niche blog that already earn in CPA and make more money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5551414].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TomFang
      Originally Posted by money200 View Post

      I think start buying niche blog that already earn in CPA and make more money.
      Why buy blogs when you can just buy ad space on there to test??

      -Tom
      Signature
      Please stop making self-promotional posts. It wastes your time post them and ours deleting them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5553667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew Zapp
    Definitely get yourself on the TannerVaughn.com private forums, type "AndrewZapp" for a secret % off!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7104225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketwarrior06
    Banned
    I should say that the worth investment would be in SEO. it will drive you a lot of traffic and you will get leads. This way you can earn a lot in a short time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7106849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adwike
    go at flippa and buy a website and start to invest to promote it and learn affiliate marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7108355].message }}

Trending Topics