How to promote a New Classifieds site

56 replies
what are the ways to promote a Brand new classified site ??

Since its new and all categories and Listings will be empty, how do we get people to start posting

already Tried FB Twitter google plus etc etc

I tried back-linking and social signals seo etc

The site is NOT in USA and the country in which it is has a high amount of people using classifieds for their needs. I mean really lots of people even pay for services and listings.

There are already some classifieds which rule as they started long ago
#classifieds #promote #site
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author hynds
    In order to promote your site, I would suggest you to learn and research about SEO, I think at first you need to learn from many famous and largest websites about SEO, SEM such as: Searchengineland, Searchenginewatch, Searchenginejournal, Moz,...they're all giving free basic SEO, SEM techniques and courses that you can follow up and practice as well. After that, you should apply these techniques on your own real website with your domain and hosting, try your best to practical daily as much as possible.

    I believe that you can get the result after some months you try hard.

    Good luck to you,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289067].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by hynds View Post

      In order to promote your site, I would suggest you to learn and research about SEO, I think at first you need to learn from many famous and largest websites about SEO, SEM such as: Searchengineland, Searchenginewatch, Searchenginejournal, Moz,...they're all giving free basic SEO, SEM techniques and courses that you can follow up and practice as well. After that, you should apply these techniques on your own real website with your domain and hosting, try your best to practical daily as much as possible.

      I believe that you can get the result after some months you try hard.

      Good luck to you,
      Thanks man, but i know some of that and backlinks and social posting was my idea, but since a classified is not a normal website so i cant just write articles and post like a blog
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    What type of classifieds ? and can you take feeds from other sites ? to give your site listings to attract other listings ?
    Signature
    | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author superowid
    Promote it locally then regionally then wider. You can also fill it with content from other website using "guest" user/member that you can create on your own. Ask your friends, family and close people around you to help you fill it with anything possible.
    Signature

    Hard time to keep promoting business? Don't worry!
    JUST USE MY GRAPHIC & VIDEO SERVICES
    . . . . . Let me help cutting your ad production cost! . . . . .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spearce000
    Buy a solo ad in a newsletter in your niche offering free or discounted listings to get the site filled with content. Then hire an SEO expert to help it show up in the SERPS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamel Hassell
    What goals are you trying to accomplish with your site ? What are the benefits of using your products and services ?
    Did you engage on twitter using either polls or surveys to get feed back ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289412].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    How is your site better than Craigslist or the Facebook marketplace? You'll have to know how to convince people of the advantages of your site.

    Who will buy and sell on your site? Everyone or a small niche market? Go where those people are and advertise your site. It will be a lot easier to track down a small group of people than try to run ads for the entire world.

    For instance, I'm a member of a site that runs classified for magicians. I've also seen them for guitar players.

    Figure out your target market and go where they are.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289431].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vinodroy
      I used craigslist website is awesome but I need them more site, have you some list of website related craigslist?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsimms
    I hate to be a debbie downer, but classifieds are not as popular as they used to be, and people already have their favorite sites picked out, and it has taken many years for those sites to build up to what they are today...

    I would highly recommend that you hire someone to make a
    niche click funnel site for you; I think you will be more satisfied,
    and it will not take you 10-20 years to get it off the ground...

    right now, i feel that you are throwing money in the toilet...
    (I should know as I have already been there...)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289559].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

      I hate to be a debbie downer, but classifieds are not as popular as they used to be, and people already have their favorite sites picked out, and it has taken many years for those sites to build up to what they are today...

      I would highly recommend that you hire someone to make a
      niche click funnel site for you; I think you will be more satisfied,
      and it will not take you 10-20 years to get it off the ground...

      right now, i feel that you are throwing money in the toilet...
      (I should know as I have already been there...)

      Quite the contrary , where I live people use classifieds for almost all their needs and the market is huge with top players minting millions
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Brindamour
    kmnkumaran,

    I suggest you offer a free classified ads to get some traction going on your site. Not sure classified ads are a way to go, aren't they dying?

    Chris
    Signature

    Subscribe to our Free Home Business Tips Newsletter and get insider tips on how to create wealth in an online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by Chris Brindamour View Post

      kmnkumaran,

      I suggest you offer a free classified ads to get some traction going on your site. Not sure classified ads are a way to go, aren't they dying?

      Chris
      Not where I live they are not. Infact some are making LOTS of money by paid listings
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 55sadhikar
    Don't listen the naysayers, if you have the will to go, go for it, just go for it. Amazon is taking over all the small business so should small business owner just put some cans on the side of the road and ask for some spare change? Ridiculous....


    Classified sites is not going to be overnight success. There is branding involved. People should right on their head think about your site when posting, but they won't bother to do that unless their ad is going to be seen. So, how can you get them to have them see their ads. Can you print some flyers and advertise locally? If you are just going to put a classified site for one particular city, you will have better chance of success. After that it is constantly pushing your website in people's mind. You can do that, by making your site go viral. Once it does goes viral then direct the visitor in some way to check out your classified site. There is a lot of branding involved with classified site. Can you do it? You can, if you can get hordes of people to visit your site. If you've got the skill and mindset to drive traffic. You can have a thriving and successful classified site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Amazon is taking over all the small business so should small business owner just put some cans on the side of the road and ask for some spare change?
    Ridiculous is right. I think you should get out sometime.

    if you have the will to go, go for it, just go for it.
    Show of hands, who will post an ad on an empty site with zero traffic? Don't be shy, put them up.

    What's that, there are too many alternative options with a lot of traffic?

    Ahh, come on, just go for it!!

    Brent
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      who will post an ad on an empty site with zero traffic? Don't be shy, put them up.
      People who are given a lifetime free grandfather type account to get things started may be a way to do this ? but even then it is probably a lot of hard work
      Signature
      | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roneidaselva
    You can promote your new classified sites on social media platforms like facebook, twitter, pinterest. Also you can promote via ad posting on other ad posting sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
    its targeted at a particular country and classifieds are very very popular here as there is huge demand for jobs housing and automobiles which people always refer to classified

    of course there are numerous classifieds already and some newspapers have their own online classifieds

    But i think there is still room for a new classifieds and the only issue is the starting point to get the listings filled up

    Thanks for the suggestions
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacksonsophia086
    Do business listing, it is very effective for brand awareness.
    Social Media is the best platform to promote your new business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11289956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

    what are the ways to promote a Brand new classified site ??

    Since its new and all categories and Listings will be empty, how do we get people to start posting

    already Tried FB Twitter google plus etc etc
    Dont do it. Abandon the project now. A brand new classified site wont earn you money. How will you compete with Craigslist? You already have empty categories and listings. You will blow all your money going this route. Pick another niche to operate in. This niche/income model is already tapped out - and mostly non-lucrative.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290117].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      Dont do it. Abandon the project now. A brand new classified site wont earn you money. How will you compete with Craigslist? You already have empty categories and listings. You will blow all your money going this route. Pick another niche to operate in. This niche/income model is already tapped out - and mostly non-lucrative.
      Quite the contrary , where I live people use classifieds for almost all their needs and the market is huge with top players minting millions...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wingsofsuccess1
    First I would pay someone to populate the site so it doesn't look totally bare. Then I would start using SEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

    its targeted at a particular country and classifieds are very very popular here as there is huge demand for jobs housing and automobiles which people always refer to classified

    of course there are numerous classifieds already and some newspapers have their own online classifieds

    But i think there is still room for a new classifieds and the only issue is the starting point to get the listings filled up

    Thanks for the suggestions
    Even a classified ad site has opportunities for using "regular" content.

    Consider a section with articles/videos that describe how to write effective ads. At minimum, you could have four pieces of relevant content -- one on how to post ads on your site, along with tips for ads offering jobs, housing, and automobiles. You could also add a page with different abbreviations used in ads in your country and what they mean.

    All could be relevant for SEO as well as garnering links from other sites.

    Another possibility is placing similar content on other publishers' sites. You could end up with both a spurt of direct traffic and some good backlinks.

    Look for possible opportunities offline. Maybe it's a premium listing consisting of a listing on your site and inclusion in a space ad you take out in a local paper (if such a thing is available in your country).

    On a related topic, how do you plan to differentiate yourself from the already established sites? What will make your site different/better than the classifieds offered by the local paper, for example?

    Figuring that out will give you something besides a "me, too" site to promote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Even a classified ad site has opportunities for using "regular" content.

      Consider a section with articles/videos that describe how to write effective ads. At minimum, you could have four pieces of relevant content -- one on how to post ads on your site, along with tips for ads offering jobs, housing, and automobiles. You could also add a page with different abbreviations used in ads in your country and what they mean.

      All could be relevant for SEO as well as garnering links from other sites.

      Another possibility is placing similar content on other publishers' sites. You could end up with both a spurt of direct traffic and some good backlinks.

      Look for possible opportunities offline. Maybe it's a premium listing consisting of a listing on your site and inclusion in a space ad you take out in a local paper (if such a thing is available in your country).

      On a related topic, how do you plan to differentiate yourself from the already established sites? What will make your site different/better than the classifieds offered by the local paper, for example?

      Figuring that out will give you something besides a "me, too" site to promote.

      Thanks a lot

      I reviewed all the classifieds and basically other then design and layouts i dont see much differences..

      ease of placing ads, premium ads, verification etc all of them provide these,

      The top player was the one which started first ......years before and was later on acquired by a global company ..so their site and listings come on top of google and their seo also is quite good
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author masonisabella794
    You are trying to the social Media site. I believe the Social Media site is the best place to promote any site. Carry on, you will be succeed. Thanks for your advance.
    Signature

    cool

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    1. Create some fake users and post some fake ads. your website should not look empty. if a user thinks that your website is empty why he would add new ads on your website.
    If a user thinks your ads are fake why would they add new ads?

    Brent
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      If a user thinks your ads are fake why would they add new ads?

      Brent


      i am not at all interested in posting fake ads
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Henry01
    If you want to promote as soon as, then PPC is best way and perform SEO on it. It will surely helps you.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    I built a strong classified site with this method.

    I gave away free adds for six months. Ffor the next 6 months I charged $1. At the end of the first year I slowly raised the prices, but offered past advertisers the ability to buy credits to run ads at the old prices.

    It took 2 years to make any money but wound up generating $750 to $1000 per month, regularly after 2 years.

    Some might say that's more trouble than it's worth, but this is the closet thing to that much sought after 'passive income' you'll find. The question is, are you willing to wait 2 years to make any money?

    Obviously you need to be doing something else to generate income until it starts to produce revenue.

    No one is getting rich in classifieds outside of the major players. If you're looking for overnight income - move along. There's nothing to see, here.

    Thank you.

    P.S. I also built a directory site and cross-promoted them.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

      I built a strong classified site with this method.

      I gave away free adds for six months. Ffor the next 6 months I charged $1. At the end of the first year I slowly raised the prices, but offered past advertisers the ability to buy credits to run ads at the old prices.

      It took 2 years to make any money but wound up generating $750 to $1000 per month, regularly after 2 years.

      Some might say that's more trouble than it's worth, but this is the closet thing to that much sought after 'passive income' you'll find. The question is, are you willing to wait 2 years to make any money?

      Obviously you need to be doing something else to generate income until it starts to produce revenue.

      No one is getting rich in classifieds outside of the major players. If you're looking for overnight income - move along. There's nothing to see, here.

      Thank you.

      P.S. I also built a directory site and cross-promoted them.
      hai thanks a lot !!

      can you tell me when you say gave away , whom did you give ??
      as I said i didnt have much luck on social media too as the site is empty and even people who want to put free ads will hesitate

      i dont mind waiting as i am not broke

      i have a good income and was trying this out as a side income.

      who said anything about overnight income ?? and I know the big players and some small players are making money and they all started with nothing

      thanks a lot anyway
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294458].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

        thanks a lot anyway
        Happy to get to you, later today, with some helpful suggestions on this.

        Thank you.
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jobdollarr
    I once created a site like this.

    You need at least $ 100 per day to:

    branding
    seo
    backlinks
    publicity
    upload videos to youtube
    socil signal
    and 200 other website optimization.

    Trust me.
    You just do not have a secret recipe
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by jobdollarr View Post

      I once created a site like this.

      You need at least $ 100 per day to:

      branding
      seo
      backlinks
      publicity
      upload videos to youtube
      socil signal
      and 200 other website optimization.

      Trust me.
      You just do not have a secret recipe
      Well, that's one way, but not the only way. That's $36,000+ per year, not counting your time. I spent almost nothing, but I did invest a fair amount of time. That's why it's called work.

      Best to look for something else to do if that's the business model you plan to employ.

      Thank you.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294308].message }}
  • [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by madaboutmarketing View Post

      If your target is organic search on Google, you need to know some Google guidelines. Of course, you can't do it without the SEO.

      First factor is content, you need to go in-depth with every post (if you don't have a blog, create it). If you could write 10k words per post, write them. Be as detailed as you can, but don't spam. Install Yoast SEO plugin that will help you on a site optimization. You will need to do On-Site Optimization, from Title, headings, content, alt, description etc. to website speed optimization (it should be less than 3 seconds by a study).

      Second factor are backlinks. Don't focus on low-quality links, that are all links as blog comment, forums, directories, article-submission or some articles with low DA (Domain Authority), you can install Moz toolbar for free to check that, here is the link for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fdgphdiccmpknp
      Try to search for guest posting (guest blogging), that could provide you quality links that are natural, you can arrange someone for that, there are a lot of freelancers that work that on UpWork, Freelancer, People Per Hour, even I work that.
      Social promotion is also crucial, because of that you can get a lot of organic keywords (keywords that Google allocate for your site that you can rank for).

      Third factor is Rank Brain (new crucial SEO tactic), please find it on Google or YouTube what means, it's little hard to explain it, but I will do it as simple as possible. If your site is on a first page and let's say, it ranks on 8th place for some specific keyword, if people massively click on your site and not on sites that are in front of yours, you will get a lot of SEO value and get in front of them. Also, people can visit some sites that rank better than you, but if they left that site fast (they are less than 3min 30sec on site) and after that enter your site and stay there for let's say 5mins, you will get a good boost.

      Good resources for learning: Moz Blog, Ahrefs Blog, Backlinko (Brian Dean), Neil Patel, Search Engine Land.

      Here is one article that could help you later when you get larger and want to create an app and earn even more: https://www.apptentive.com/blog/2018...within-1-year/
      Thanks a lot for your wonderful input . But can you show me any classifieds site that fits the description above ?? you must have some classified site in mind when you gave this information ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295789].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

        Thanks a lot for your wonderful input . But can you show me any classifieds site that fits the description above ?? you must have some classified site in mind when you gave this information ?
        That was spam! :-)
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    You can post ads on other classifieds like Craigslist and Backpage, Print ads in news papers and magazines, Pay per click ads, forums, YouTube, Instagram.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sktravellink
    Good, already you are working in the right way. The Social media site play an vital role in the field of Traffic. Beside this, you can increase your site back link more & more. Thanks for your advance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    Sorry for any typos, grammatical errors or poor sentence structure. I was in a hurry.

    I'm not going to go into great detail in what I am telling you, but it's not rocket science and you should be able to understand what I am telling you, at least one level down without me having to explain it. If you need clarification on any particular point, just ask and I'll do my best to explain further.

    Here is what I did and did not do to promote my site.

    1 Join your local Chamber of Commerce/and or local Business Cooperative. This shouldn't cost more than $100 per year and is basically all you need to spend to get the ball rolling. (I started my own business coop so I could offer advertising, marketing and promotional services with discounted pricing based upon the concept of group purchasing). They allow you to make direct offers to other Chamber members and will promote your offer via their website, their monthly newsletter and their new member info packets. Supply the Chamber with the link to an Opt-In page. This is important as you will see, later.

    2. Offer all Chamber members the following:

    a. Six months of unlimited free classified listings, as long as they place one listing during the first 30 days to 'lock in' the offer and to get them to actually post at least one listing as soon as possible.

    b. After they post an ad, contact the company and tell them that you are extending the invitation to all of their employees through the same opt-in page, whether it be 10 or 1000 employees. They have their own in-house organs for disseminating this type of information.

    c. Your first message in your email series should be clear that they, too, need to place at least one listing in order to avail themselves of the 6 months of unlimited free listings.

    d. As each listing is placed, contact that person and tell them that you are going to extend the offer to any family member or friend that they would like to pass it along to. Have them direct the person to the opt-in page and continue this process. In a mater of weeks your offer will have been presented to many thousands of people for them to get 6 months of free listing on your site, as long as they post one listing in the first 30 days. Of course, you can create a greater sense of urgency by shortening that to any length of time that you deem appropriate.

    So far - you haven't spent a penny beyond your Chamber membership.

    Next.

    Set up some special fund-raising programs for non-profits. As an example, call your local SPCA type organization and tell them that you will wave all listing fees in order for them to promote an opportunity for local residents to offer up something for sale during a certain time period with the proceeds of the sales going to the organization. Also - Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, the list is endless. If you want maximum bang for your buck (the first one of which you haven't even spent, yet) organize a bunch of charities to do this over the same time frame. Not only will you get a great deal of (FREE) local press coverage, that can go beyond print into radio and TV, you will develop lasting relationships with organizations that view you as a benefactor. They eat this sort of thing, up.

    Next:

    Have business cards printed with the above offer and mail 100 or more to each Chamber member with a retail location and tell them that they should give one to each customer as a way of saying 'thank you' for their business. The business looks great without spending a dime and you are finally starting to spend a little money, printing and mailing the cards. Quit your bitching. So far you have put your site in front of thousands of people for almost nothing.

    There is no harm at this point in asking the retail business owners if it might be possible to place a banner ad at the bottom of their home page - linking to your site. As soon as you hear, "Well, I have no objection to that, but I wouldn't know where to start," you may have just found yourself a client for website management and/or development. You have now opened the door to an unlimited array of products and services you can offer this business, ad infinitum, going forward. Videos, color printing, t-shirts, EDDM mailings and the list goes on and on - hence the use of the aforementioned 'ad infinitum.' Of course you don't do any of those things, or maybe you do. If not, this is why God created outsourcers.

    Don't waste your time with anything other than the most perfunctory SEO, back linking or any other such nonsense. I don't even use Social Media. It's just not necessary - but if it floats your boat, go for it. If you find yourself having the time to do SEO, SM, backlinking and all the rest that goes with it, you are NOT building your site organically, at a very local level. You are 'local' and almost 100% of your growth is going to come from word-of-mouth and local promotion. Sure - you can follow the basic prescribed rules by aping what is generally recommended for IM, but if you want to grow, quickly, eschew all of the things you think you have to do and think outside the box.

    Additionally, if you combine this with a directory site (which unfortunately costs a bit to seed) and a lead generation site, you can be king in your local area. I had the following under the business coop: Directory site, Classified site, Lead Generation site, a City guide, Deal site and I tied it all together with a local Internet radio station that provided business information to local businesses as well as 30 minute shows, 'spotlighting' various business that were willing to pay $90 a pop and I was able to automatically schedule their show to rerun on various days at different times, for a measly $5 per replay. These are basically 30 minute commercials for the business, but presented in a format that appears to be built on the premise of 'imparting of wisdom' to other business owners. Ego rules, especially in business. The fees add up quickly, and once you get the spot into your broadcasting software, it's about as 'passive' as any income can be. I realize you may have no interest in these ancillary income producers, but I just want you to be totally aware of what you could do, if you wanted to.

    There are dozens of ways to do this, either small, with one site, or full-bore, if you're energetic and like to think big. Most things have been done to death and are trotted-out in the same mundane, rote formula. That's why few succeed.

    One thing to keep in mind about suggestions that you will get on how to move forward on building your site. Most of it will come from people that have never built anything like this, if anything at all, but if nothing else have memorized the "secret formula.' I'm calling bullshit on that. lol

    I have more, but this should get your started and I'm pressed for time. Holler if you need more ideas and as I get time, I'll append with other things I have used.

    Good luck.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
      Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

      Holler if you need more ideas and as I get time, I'll append with other things I have used.
      Good luck.
      I am open to learning your other methods and appreciate your input so far.
      Signature
      | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295040].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

        I am open to learning your other methods and appreciate your input so far.
        Hi. I am happy to attempt to answer any specific questions you might have, but not really up for droning on and on. :-)
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295418].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
          Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

          Hi. I am happy to attempt to answer any specific questions you might have, but not really up for droning on and on. :-)
          That is a fair response, so if I could ask

          1. if you could expand on this please "Holler if you need more ideas and as I get time, I'll append with other things I have used."

          Not the book of war and peace but maybe some bullet points of the most effective options that have worked for you in building your site over and above as mentioned.

          2. If it was a while back when you built your sites, do you now feel social media can play a bigger role in the building of your site.

          3.Your views (based on today's times) on a slam all categories all locations over and above a scaled down focused site within a focused location / country

          thanks
          Pete
          Signature
          | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295601].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
            Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

            That is a fair response, so if I could ask

            1. if you could expand on this please "Holler if you need more ideas and as I get time, I'll append with other things I have used."

            Not the book of war and peace but maybe some bullet points of the most effective options that have worked for you in building your site over and above as mentioned.
            I'll do that, tomorrow as time allows.

            2. If it was a while back when you built your sites, do you now feel social media can play a bigger role in the building of your site.
            While I'm sure that some would say so, even if I were starting a site, today, I personally would not use Social Media. It's just not something that I choose to make a part of my life. Same with SEO - the Black Hole of IM. I'm old, lived fine without it, was successful without employing it and choose not to participate in it. I have always been a contrarian and done things my own way, with total disregard for how you are 'supposed' to do things. Couldn't care less what others think about that, or my opinions on Social Media. Meaningless. I'm very comfortably retired and will die without ever having tweeted anything to anyone. A far as Facebook goes, I have nothing that I'm interested in 'sharing' with anyone and I'd rather chew glass than beg for a 'like.' Actually, I do have one thing that I'm interested in sharing, but this is a 'family-friendly' forum.

            3.Your views (based on today's times) on a slam all categories all locations over and above a scaled down focused site within a focused location / country
            The more 'local' you make anything you do, the better chance you have at making personal contacts and developing ongoing relationships through Chamber get-togethers and meeting other business owners. My first directory site was a national directory with 155,000 free listings. I worked so hard at putting that together and was really proud of the effort and the finished product. It was a total disaster, but I learned a lot, so I don't regret the experience.

            I forgot to mention that there were two other sites in my stable. One was a 'Shop Local' site and the other was a 'Best Of' site for the area I was working in. I had more energy years, ago. Don't think I could do all of that, now. I'd probably have a stroke. :-(

            I'll give you some tips I used for marketing everything, tomorrow.

            Thank you.
            Signature

            "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
    Thanks for the ideas. But i understand all that in reference to Normal blogs etc...about seo and writing blogs........ But classifieds is different from blogs and needs to have user posted latest info like things wanted or for sale ..sellers and buyers..

    I know i can do ads but when people come and see an empty site most of them will go away not interested. the reason i say this is I tried that

    And I dont want to put fake ads

    and I dont want to write articles and blogs about how my classifieds is so wonderful

    Thanks for all members comments and suggestions But I was looking for any Practical suggestions about classified and not just normal sites or blogs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

      Thanks for the ideas. But i understand all that in reference to Normal blogs etc...about seo and writing blogs........ But classifieds is different from blogs and needs to have user posted latest info like things wanted or for sale ..sellers and buyers..

      I know i can do ads but when people come and see an empty site most of them will go away not interested. the reason i say this is I tried that

      And I dont want to put fake ads

      and I dont want to write articles and blogs about how my classifieds is so wonderful

      Thanks for all members comments and suggestions But I was looking for any Practical suggestions about classified and not just normal sites or blogs
      Apparently my concepts were lost on you. I have never run a fake ad and I have never written a blog post (except for a client) in my life. lol

      You'll just need to try it on your own and see what works for you, as everyone's path is different and should be based on what they are most comfortable with and not on what others have done and how they did it.

      It's not rocket science. Good luck.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmrson
    You could do what Airbnb did and use a script to contact authors of Craigslist listings and suggest they post to your site as well. Airbnb did this for rental listings in their early days with much success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tal321
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11299712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by tal321 View Post

      you can check this out for more info on how to make social media work for you:
      Reported as SPAM.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11299722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeffparkerr
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11299717].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by jeffparkerr View Post

      Paste your site in Comment of Classified Sites List
      Regard
      Jeff Parker
      Reported as SPAM!
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11299723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rafiqul94
    Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

    what are the ways to promote a Brand new classified site ??

    Since its new and all categories and Listings will be empty, how do we get people to start posting

    already Tried FB Twitter google plus etc etc

    I tried back-linking and social signals seo etc

    The site is NOT in USA and the country in which it is has a high amount of people using classifieds for their needs. I mean really lots of people even pay for services and listings.

    There are already some classifieds which rule as they started long ago
    For promote your new classified site you need to do SEO in your site also make sure on and off page SEO...
    Another important things is make high quality and strong backlink which definitely help your ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11305610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rekha Kumari
    You can first collect the email address and mobile number of the people who used free classified website for ad posting. You can contact them and tell to post ads on your website.
    Also be active on Social Networking sites and share the ads of your website as much as possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11400231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dkate9
    I'd say look for the lists of classified sites and then add your website there in either comment section or ask the webmaster to include yours in the list too. In Such posts you will be targeting the already interested audience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11400327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by dkate9 View Post

      I'd say look for the lists of classified sites and then add your website there in either comment section or ask the webmaster to include yours in the list too. In Such posts you will be targeting the already interested audience.
      Most companies who dominate the field will not allow competitors to promote on their platform
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MzadQatar
    For promoting your classified site you should perform SEO activities like Bookmarking, Image sharing, Article, Blogs, Analyze your competitor backlinks and activities, Keyword research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by MzadQatar View Post

      For promoting your classified site you should perform SEO activities like Bookmarking, Image sharing, Article, Blogs, Analyze your competitor backlinks and activities, Keyword research.
      thanks

      done all that

      top sites even dont have much backlinks

      but since they are classifieds they have tons of new ads every day which kinda keeps them on top
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433854].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
        Originally Posted by kmnkumaran View Post

        thanks

        done all that
        top sites even dont have much backlinks
        but since they are classifieds they have tons of new ads every day which kinda keeps them on top

        Well you have answered one of your own questions, look at ways to slowly increase post volume, add to that good on site seo and a splash of social media and it should start to move forward for you.
        Signature
        | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11434288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unisecureus
    Hi please check below details to promote classified sites:
    1. Advertise
    2. SEO
    3. Use Social Media
    4. Build your Email List
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11434006].message }}
  • I have just picked this thread up - albeit a little late but if people still want advice for what it is worth I have a directory site not to dissimilar to a classified ads site.. I have a niche directory site local to a particular area. I generate around $1,200 per month passive from this one site.. My advice would be to get a press release for you site.. and defiantly write decent stories information in regards to your site that people find interesting. Once you have awareness you will have your own promotion and people will contact you to advertise.. It is not difficult but time and persistent to the site are important..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11434383].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kmnkumaran
      Originally Posted by Money Magnet Profits View Post

      I have just picked this thread up - albeit a little late but if people still want advice for what it is worth I have a directory site not to dissimilar to a classified ads site.. I have a niche directory site local to a particular area. I generate around $1,200 per month passive from this one site.. My advice would be to get a press release for you site.. and defiantly write decent stories information in regards to your site that people find interesting. Once you have awareness you will have your own promotion and people will contact you to advertise.. It is not difficult but time and persistent to the site are important..
      Thanks..but does those work for all countries ?? am not sure and havent tried that..since i live in Middle east
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11438743].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics