Need to Write Very First Copy Quickly

18 replies
Hi Guys

I'm fully aware that it can take a long time to acquire great copywriting skills but I don't have a long time. I'm not trying to become a copywriter but need to quickly write a copy because I don't have the budget to pay an expert (wish I did!).

I am going to organise a business opportunity meeting in 2 - 3 weeks' time for budding social entrepreneurs who want to get paid a substantial part-time income for doing something they're passionate about. A couple of days ago I spent several hours writing tons of headlines and this is the one I like (no time for split testing): "Discover How Social Entrepreneurship Can Enrich Your Life". What do you think? I welcome your ideas on how I can make this better.

I know there's a lot of information about copywriting for novices (I have read some) but what I'd find really helpful are suggestions as to where I can find great business opportunity copy. I know there are lots of these on the internet but when I read a copy I don't know if it's a great copy and I don't know how to find out if it has a high click thru/conversion rate so would appreciate pointers to some great examples because this will then give me a framework to start with as I'd like to start advertising my upcoming event early next week.

I look forward to your helpful advice and pointers.
#copy #quickly #write
  • Profile picture of the author Petar P
    This will help you. Read the post by The Copy Nazi in this thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/copywrit...ml#post6292399
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9616456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    Here's who I am.
    Here's what I've got.
    Here's what it will do for you.
    Here's what to do next.

    - John Carlton
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9616640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    "Discover How Social Entrepreneurship Can Enrich Your Life"
    Vague, boring, non-specific.

    Doesn't pass the "So what?" test.

    John Caples taught us all to "enter the conversation already going on in the prospect's mind".

    Nobody has ever sat thinking to themselves, "if only I could discover how to enrich my life through Social Entrepreneurship..."

    Conversational trumps professional every time.

    BE INTERESTING.

    Gary Bencivenga taught us all that Interest = Curiosity + Benefit.

    What are three specific benefits I'll get from learning about Social Entrepreneurship?

    List them:

    1) I'll learn ______, so I'll be able to _______ and that means I'll be/have/do ______.

    2) I'll never again have to ______ or _______ because I'll _______

    3) I want _______ without ________ so I can _________

    There ya go...

    Best,

    Brian
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9616797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mairin44
    Thank you guys! Some very useful tips there. Brian that's helpful - thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9617714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    Originally Posted by Mairin44 View Post

    I know there's a lot of information about copywriting for novices (I have read some) but what I'd find really helpful are suggestions as to where I can find great business opportunity copy.
    One good way to find good biz op copy is to join WarriorPlus (warriorplus.com) and look at the biz op affiliate offers that are selling a lot of copies.

    For each offer, there's a link that will take you to the sales letter.

    Alex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9617919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Not to disrespect other opinions, you don't need copywriting.

    I think what you need is a platform pitch. Unfortunately, it's an expensive skill to learn and a lot harder to learn than copywriting.

    In lieu of that, I would encourage you to seek out various info-products that teach you how to put on webinar pitches.

    And if that's too much work, get "Pitch Anything" by Oren Klaff. He advocates the following process:



    PS: Is social entrepreneurship another name for multi-level marketing, direct sales or network marketing?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9617956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Iris Lopez
    I am a newbie myself but good thing I have a veteran mentor that helps me big time.

    I have the same dilemma about reading a lot of advice on the internet and they can be overwhelming! I suggest taking Ben Settle's tips --- he is the best!

    Ben Settle - Top Email Marketing Specialist

    Best of luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9618054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    I got to jump in here. You guys...

    First thing you need to address is - WHAT IS SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP?

    Do you know? I didn't. I had to Google it... and was still confused. Wikipedia says -
    Social entrepreneurship is the process of pursuing innovative solutions to social problems. More specifically, social entrepreneurs adopt a mission to create and sustain social value.
    The Ashoka site says it better -

    Over the past two decades, the Citizen sector has discovered what the business sector learned long ago: There is nothing as powerful as a new idea in the hands of a first-class entrepreneur.
    Social entrepreneurs are individuals with innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems. They are ambitious and persistent, tackling major social issues and offering new ideas for wide-scale change.
    Rather than leaving societal needs to the government or business sectors, social entrepreneurs find what is not working and solve the problem by changing the system, spreading the solution, and persuading entire societies to move in different directions.
    Social entrepreneurs often seem to be possessed by their ideas, committing their lives to changing the direction of their field. They are visionaries, but also realists, and are ultimately concerned with the practical implementation of their vision above all else.
    Social entrepreneurs present user-friendly, understandable, and ethical ideas that engage widespread support in order to maximize the number of citizens that will stand up, seize their idea, and implement it. Leading social entrepreneurs are mass recruiters of local changemakers— role models proving that citizens who channel their ideas into action can do almost anything.
    Try saying that in one simple sentence... and you'll be on your way to the headline you're looking for. Personally I think "Discover How Social Entrepreneurship Can Enrich Your Life" doesn't work. Its not only boring but it misses the mark if the reader doesn't have a clue what "social entrepreneurship" is - and more importantly, could care less. You need to cut to the chase with a memorable line. Something like "Now you can change the world - and get paid for it".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9618232].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      I got to jump in here. You guys...

      First thing you need to address is - WHAT IS SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP?

      Do you know? I didn't. I had to Google it... and was still confused. Wikipedia says - The Ashoka site says it better -

      Try saying that in one simple sentence... and you'll be on your way to the headline you're looking for. Personally I think "Discover How Social Entrepreneurship Can Enrich Your Life" doesn't work. Its not only boring but it misses the mark if the reader doesn't have a clue what "social entrepreneurship" is - and more importantly, could care less. You need to cut to the chase with a memorable line. Something like "Now you can change the world - and get paid for it".
      If you're gonna hook them, I think you'll have to be a little more specific than that.

      For instance, I saw this today and it made me click:

      She Gets Yelled At For Giving Coats To The Homeless. Her Response? Brilliant.

      If that's what social entrepreneurship is, in the context of this thread, I think you'll need to hook them.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9618235].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
        Banned
        Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

        If you're gonna hook them, I think you'll have to be a little more specific than that.

        For instance, I saw this today and it made me click:

        She Gets Yelled At For Giving Coats To The Homeless. Her Response? Brilliant.

        If that's what social entrepreneurship is, in the context of this thread, I think you'll need to hook them.
        Well dude it's way more "specific" than what you thought is was -
        PS: Is social entrepreneurship another name for multi-level marketing, direct sales or network marketing?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9619066].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
          Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

          Well dude it's way more "specific" that what you thought is was -
          Let me be clear, dude.

          I think he IS selling some sort of a direct sales business opportunity. I think he's trying to put a pretty face on a business model people view in a bad light.

          And the fact he didn't answer my question and isn't talking about it, makes me think that even more.

          He's trying to hitch his wagon to the word "social".
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9619102].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
            Banned
            Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

            Let me be clear, dude.

            I think he IS selling some sort of a direct sales business opportunity. I think he's trying to put a pretty face on a business model people view in a bad light.

            And the fact he didn't answer my question and isn't talking about it, makes me think that even more.

            He's trying to hitch his wagon to the word "social".
            I don't know how you came to that conclusion. He hasn't told us anything about the product. Maybe this line activated your Skeptdar - "suggestions as to where I can find great business opportunity copy"?

            And I wish to X these guys would stop saying "a copy". Drives me nuts. There should be a policy here - any post that talks of "a copy" or "copies" gets nuked. Same goes for "to" instead of "too". And "your" instead of "you're".

            And the other thing I find surprising - hardly anyone picks them up on this. Here in the copywriting section! Which leads me to the other howler - "copyright" instead of "copywrite". I notice one went up today.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9620614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mairin44
    Thank you for all your responses. Really helpful. I realise I need to be much more specific and focus on the benefits. I see why this takes a long time to master.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9618880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    This is a BIG market IMO.

    I'm working with a company that's putting together various "sustainable" products and leaping out with the message that "it matters WHERE you spend your money."

    The essence of it is...

    You're going to buy clothes anyway, right?

    Why not buy the best hemp clothing - made locally?

    Campaigns like this can actually help people put their money with their mouth is (to coin an old phrase.)

    But just like ANY product, it's all about specificity. Touch on the high-level stuff, but really get down to what buying with ME does for YOU... and the planet.

    Mark
    Signature

    Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9619269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnRussell
    I hate when people write 'a copy' to.



    Sorry...had to do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9621069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    Originally Posted by Mairin44 View Post

    Hi Guys

    I'm fully aware that it can take a long time to acquire great copywriting skills but I don't have a long time. I'm not trying to become a copywriter but need to quickly write a copy because I don't have the budget to pay an expert (wish I did!).

    I am going to organise a business opportunity meeting in 2 - 3 weeks' time for budding social entrepreneurs who want to get paid a substantial part-time income for doing something they're passionate about. A couple of days ago I spent several hours writing tons of headlines and this is the one I like (no time for split testing): "Discover How Social Entrepreneurship Can Enrich Your Life". What do you think? I welcome your ideas on how I can make this better.

    I know there's a lot of information about copywriting for novices (I have read some) but what I'd find really helpful are suggestions as to where I can find great business opportunity copy. I know there are lots of these on the internet but when I read a copy I don't know if it's a great copy and I don't know how to find out if it has a high click thru/conversion rate so would appreciate pointers to some great examples because this will then give me a framework to start with as I'd like to start advertising my upcoming event early next week.

    I look forward to your helpful advice and pointers.
    Here's an idea...

    "Discover Why Social Entrepreneurship Can't Even Make You Enough Money to Hire a Copywriter - Even a Newbie Who Only Charges $197 a Page."

    Oh wait, honesty only sells when you're not trying to fool people into paying for advice which hasn't even produced results for you. If you think that internal inconsistency won't show up in your writing, you're wrong.

    So why should we give you FREE advice on how to sell a product no one should buy?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9623017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9623090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mairin44
    Thank you again to those who took the time to offer helpful advice. Much appreciated! Writing my first copy is an interesting experience - the headline alone was a challenge! :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9623834].message }}

Trending Topics