1. "On the average, five times as many people read the headlines as read the body copy."
2. "It follows that unless your headline sells your product, you have wasted 90 percent of your money..."
3. I've learned that any fool can write a bad ad, but that it takes a real genius to keep his hands off a good one.
- Leo Burnett
4. "A copywriter should have 'an understanding of people, an insight into them, a sympathy toward them."
5. An ad is finished only when you no longer can find a single element to remove.
6. Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you're doing, but nobody else does.
-Steuart Henderson Britt
7. I have always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first, of course, is ransom notes.
8 . The man who stops advertising to save money is like the man who stops the clock to save time.
9. "Nobody reads ads. People read what interests them. Sometimes it's an ad."
- Howard Gossage
10. "The secret of all effective advertising is not the creation of new and tricky words and pictures, but one of putting familiar words and pictures into new relationships."
11. An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
12. Advertising is like learning - a little is a dangerous thing. If a man has not the pluck to keep on advertising, all the money he has already spent is lost.
13. The most powerful element in advertising is the truth.
14. If you can't turn yourself into a consumer, you probably shouldn't be in the advertising business at all.
15. We have become so accustomed to hearing everyone claim that his product is the best in the world, or the cheapest, that we take all such statements with a grain of salt.
16. Advertising is salesmanship mass produced. No one would bother to use advertising if he could talk to all his prospects face-to-face. But he can't.
17. Advertising is Salesmanship in Print.
John E. Kennedy
18.The consumer isn't a moron; she is your wife. You insult her intelligence if you assume that a mere slogan and a few vapid adjectives will persuade her to buy anything.
19. Copy is a direct conversation with the consumer.
20. You must make the product interesting, not just make the ad different. And that's what too many of the copywriters in the U.S. today don't yet understand.
21. Poor copy cannot overcome faults or gaps in dealer distribution; it cannot even cash in on the finest dealer setups. But good copy can, and does, surmount many dealer difficulties, making them secondary, and selling in spite of them.
Let me know what you think about these 21 quotes.