By how much do great copyrighters boost conversion?

12 replies
I have a product review that I did couple of years ago and my conversion was around the 2% mark. I have always suspected that sometimes people pay too much for landing pages, especially if the product is not a complex one. The brilliant copyrighters tend to get in the habit of producing the 'classic' sales pitch which tends to be very formulaic, which the visitors have now gotten accustomed to.

I know there are lots of variables in determining conversion rates. If I were a visitor to landing page I would instantly know if it was an aggressive sell. I would rather read an honest review that tries to sell but not in a brash way which could easily compromise the truth. This is especially critical for health products where you should not falsely try to sell products to a person if you felt it wouldn't help them.
#boost #conversion #copyrighters #great
  • What exactly is your point?


    It's copywriters, by the way. Just so you don't ruffle too many feathers around here.


    In regards to your thread title, I pose you a question in return:

    "How long is a piece of string?"

    There is no formula that increases every copywriting piece by 5%. If there was, I'd have no job. The fact is, 2% could be very high for a high-priced item. On the other hand, it could be very low for a $5 product.



    Ben.
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7386495].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
      Originally Posted by CharismaticMannequin View Post


      In regards to your thread title, I pose you a question in return:

      "How long is a piece of string?"

      There is no formula that increases every copywriting piece by 5%.
      Ben.
      I agree 100%. Copywriting is so misunderstood because people think it's about selling and conversion. It's not. Copywriting is marketing, BIG difference. This is one of the first things I teach people in my copywriting courses and my newsletter (like in the video below):

      What is Copywriting & Why Should You Care? | V.I.B.E.

      Copywriting is marketing, and marketing is anything strategy which increases the perception of your brand's value in the mind of your customer. when it comes to that conversion rates aren't as important as ROI, profit margins, higher value per customer, better Net promoter scores and consumption rates.

      These ^ are the questions you should be asking because they force you to consider more than just the copywriting on your sales page. EVERYTHING you do is marketing, and that's why you need copywriting that follows an all encompassing strategy to increase not only conversions, but also connections, consumption rates, customer engagement, brand loyalty and company equity.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7390034].message }}
      • Originally Posted by sethczerepak View Post

        I agree 100%. Copywriting is so misunderstood because people think it's about selling and conversion. It's not. Copywriting is marketing, BIG difference. This is one of the first things I teach people in my copywriting courses and my newsletter (like in the video below):

        What is Copywriting & Why Should You Care? | V.I.B.E.

        Copywriting is marketing, and marketing is anything strategy which increases the perception of your brand's value in the mind of your customer. when it comes to that conversion rates aren't as important as ROI, profit margins, higher value per customer, better Net promoter scores and consumption rates.

        These ^ are the questions you should be asking because they force you to consider more than just the copywriting on your sales page. EVERYTHING you do is marketing, and that's why you need copywriting that follows an all encompassing strategy to increase not only conversions, but also connections, consumption rates, customer engagement, brand loyalty and company equity.
        Seth,


        while some copywriting is indeed marketing, copywriting's primary purpose isn't marketing. I've seen people use copywriting to build lists and brand awareness, and that's fine, but copywriting is, and always has been the most potent and functional way of SELLING.

        That is its job; sales.


        At least, that's what I've garnered from all I've learnt.


        Ben.
        Signature
        50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
        BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7390254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Headstart
          Originally Posted by CharismaticMannequin View Post

          Seth,


          while some copywriting is indeed marketing, copywriting's primary purpose isn't marketing. I've seen people use copywriting to build lists and brand awareness, and that's fine, but copywriting is, and always has been the most potent and functional way of SELLING.

          That is its job; sales.


          At least, that's what I've garnered from all I've learnt.


          Ben.
          Agreed, copywriting is directly related to selling... Marketing is simply selling multiplied. Instead of going door to door you can send an email all at once... sure your conversions won't be as good but if you can hit way more people then Copywriting can help with the sales aspect.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7390300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anton543
    I do think copywriters are needed for your classic sales pitches because the good ones are often exceptional at that, but as far as product reviews are concerned, I think the person trying to do the selling is often in a better position because he is more likely to know the product more intimately from having done thorough research.

    By the way, looking back at my stats, the monthly conversions for tha that product I was mentioning, use to vary between 2 to 5%.

    Honestly, I did not start this thread to downplay the importance of copywriters because they have a brilliant skill in using words to sell anything, but I think reviews (which I see as being different from a typcial landing/sales page) should come from the heart. Regarding the actual sales pages, I have no doubt skilled copywriters are a must.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7386540].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Raydal
      Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

      I do think copywriters are needed for your classic sales pitches because the good ones are often exceptional at that, but as far as product reviews are concerned, I think the person trying to do the selling is often in a better position because he is more likely to know the product more intimately from having done thorough research.
      You seem to be assuming that you don't need a copywriter
      to write a review. But that's not true. I've been paid thousands
      to write "reviews". A review is really a hidden sales letter, much
      like a White Paper or Free Report.

      Copywriting covers a lot more territory than just long form
      sales letters. There are Press Releases, articles (yes, articles),
      brochures, catalogs, print advertisement, radio ads, commercials,
      emails, etc.

      A copywriter must know how to change strategy according
      to the type of ad that is required.

      -Ray Edwards
      Signature
      The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7389905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derfootmarcus
    I think that if you are trying to sell something, hiring someone who is great at selling stuff will by definition increase your sales... I dont really understand what it means to review a product "from the heart". I think its all about presenting the best points of a product to get the customer to buy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7386564].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anton543
      Originally Posted by derfootmarcus View Post

      I think that if you are trying to sell something, hiring someone who is great at selling stuff will by definition increase your sales... I dont really understand what it means to review a product "from the heart". I think its all about presenting the best points of a product to get the customer to buy.
      I am going test this. I am going to have a few professional sales pages done by a copywriter over the coming weeks. We will see how it goes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7386597].message }}
  • Anton,

    as Marcus said, anyone skilled at selling will improve conversions, no matter the medium.

    Also, this 'classic sales pitch' you speak of. There isn't a classic sales pitch, at least not in my eyes. Every client has different needs, every project/product/service needs a different approach.

    There is no one-size fits all approach




    Ben.
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7388446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SashaLee
    I know there are .......<snip>........ I would instantly know .....<snip> ....... I would rather read .........
    Nobody really cares what YOU think . You are approaching this from a ME perspective. You are not your typical customer. By virtue of the fact you are on this forum you know what conversion is, what a sales letter is, what an upsell is etc.

    The average punter has no (or barely a) concept of these types of things.

    You ask a question in your title, yet you then go on to pontificate.

    You currently have what's known as a control - you have a ~2% response metric.

    Now, hire a copyWRITER and test their work against your control. That's how big companies do it. (WSJ, Agora, etc).

    Best,

    Sash....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7388648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eugenedm
    Anton,
    The truth is that there are bad copywriters, and good copywriters. A good copywriter should be able to figure out a change you can make to your contents and increase conversions.

    Now it might sound too salesy but hey, if it makes more sales it doesn't matter how salesy it sounds.
    Signature

    WARNING: A 50 Million Dollar Man Taught Me His Secret... Which Resulted 6,000 Sign-ups on My Email List.

    "It's easier than you think..."

    => Watch this video here...
    Build Your List to 6,000 Subscribers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7389202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    Semantics. Marketing, selling, conversions...it's all part of an overarching process to increase the customer's awareness of the value of your brand. If the copywriting on your blogs, articles and social media posts is great, making conversions becomes easier. If it's bad, selling gets harder. That's why the pros are always harping on "Always Be Closing." You're ALWAYS marketing and every act of marketing makes it either harder or easier to make sales.

    Again, it's all part of the same process. This misunderstanding ^ is why a lot of people are struggling during slower times of year, they don't understand the integration of marketing and selling as on holistic strategy for creating a business that works for you instead of you working for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7391695].message }}

Trending Topics