Copywriter Wanted: Will Trade Copy For A Chair and Snacks

14 replies
Oy, vey.

Freelance Copywriter
#chair #copy #copywriter #snacks #trade #wanted
  • Profile picture of the author RogozRazvan
    Saw it earlier today.

    Made me smile. A lot

    I would trade my time too to work in an environment like Google or Trump Tower.

    However, if you think about it, it's not such a bad deal. It's not so much about the implicit benefit (office space) as it is about the side benefits (networking, getting out of the house, building connections with other professionals, etc).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7930602].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Good example of how some companies undervalue the worth of an experienced copywriter.

      Interesting that they're a design firm.

      Alex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7930728].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
      Originally Posted by RogozRazvan View Post

      Saw it earlier today.

      Made me smile. A lot

      I would trade my time too to work in an environment like Google or Trump Tower.

      However, if you think about it, it's not such a bad deal. It's not so much about the implicit benefit (office space) as it is about the side benefits (networking, getting out of the house, building connections with other professionals, etc).
      That's all well and good - I just don't need an office for that. The library works well for when I want quiet time outside the house, and Starbucks is excellent for those times I want to create in chaos. I don't think I'd ever get office space that I couldn't pay for, personal opinion.
      Signature

      Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931636].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
        Originally Posted by angiecolee View Post

        That's all well and good - I just don't need an office for that. The library works well for when I want quiet time outside the house, and Starbucks is excellent for those times I want to create in chaos. I don't think I'd ever get office space that I couldn't pay for, personal opinion.
        When I was a business broker, I worked out of my home. But I didn't want to meet clients here, so I rented office space. It worked out well.

        Alex
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931856].message }}
  • Someone doesn't have it saved or c+p'ed for those of us who now can't see it (due to it being taken down). Interested to see whatcha all talking about!
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7930976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason_V
    Probably took it down out of shame (I really hope no one actually agreed to this nonsense):

    Freelance Copywriter (Fremont)

    Our thriving design firm is in need of an experienced freelance copywriter to exchange hours for use of our office space. Individual must be capable of working with us to execute brand voice for both internal and externally focused writing projects including but not limited to proposals, client work, advertising, and presentations.

    Our office is a creative and welcoming work environment located in the Fremont area of Seattle. Our design firm consists of a highly motivated team of skilled, creative thinkers that thrive on generating incredible work. With a contemporary decor, music in the background, and calming natural light from the floor to ceiling windows, creativity flows organically.

    As a freelance copywriter, you will be provided with a large desk by the window. You will have access to our Internet (wireless or wired), printers, and working kitchen (with healthy snacks). In the sharing of office space, we ask for exchange of your hours with additional, work beyond exchange a distanced likelihood.

    Please send resume, samples of work, and availability. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Signature
    "When you do something exactly wrong, you always turn up something."
    -Andy Warhol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931008].message }}
  • So they're offering a work space in exchange for working for free? Wow.

    That's cheeky, even by today's standards. Interesting how cheeky some firms are. I just don't understand today how companies think they can get away with this kind of offer.

    Crazy world we live in.
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    "...work beyond exchange a distanced likelihood." That's the worst part.
    I wonder what their designs and client relations are like.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7932325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
    Alex -

    I could see renting a shared office space or using a club membership (great place called Capital Club in this area, San Jose CA) for taking meetings. But honestly, most of my clients are just fine either hosting me in their offices or meeting me at a Starbucks. Hell, some of them even meet me at happy hour at the local bar where we get down to real business and have fun at the same time.

    The best part of this line of work for me is the mobility
    Signature

    Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7932710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    I think they kick you out the shelter during the day, so, if you're homeless, and, can write you have somewhere warm to work?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933050].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Ferrari
      They didn't even offer coffee. That was the deal breaker for me.
      Signature

      By Day: Beat-the-Control @ The Motley Fool, World's Worst Intermediate Surfer

      By Night: Gun-for-Hire, World's Least Technologically Savvy Internet Marketer

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
    They could have at least called it an unpaid internship.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933354].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason_V
      Originally Posted by Curtis2011 View Post

      They could have at least called it an unpaid internship.
      No, that's the funny part, they are a "thriving design firm" and they were " in need of an experienced freelance copywriter..."

      So, they add insult to injury by bragging how "thriving" they are, yet, they want someone with "experience" to accept free wifi and "healthy snacks." in exchange for the work.

      An intern would be someone with little to no experience, but that's not what they wanted.

      It got taken down pretty fast, I imagine they got quite a few nasty replies to that "great opportunity"
      Signature
      "When you do something exactly wrong, you always turn up something."
      -Andy Warhol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7936018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Jason_V View Post

        No, that's the funny part, they are a "thriving design firm" and they were " in need of an experienced freelance copywriter..."

        So, they add insult to injury by bragging how "thriving" they are, yet, they want someone with "experience" to accept free wifi and "healthy snacks." in exchange for the work.

        An intern would be someone with little to no experience, but that's not what they wanted.

        It got taken down pretty fast, I imagine they got quite a few nasty replies to that "great opportunity"
        Now, just hold on a minute! I thought this was a bad idea until someone mentioned snacks! If they include Twizzlers, I may be interested.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7936465].message }}

Trending Topics