What's the difference between a VSL and a salesletter?

7 replies
Is there any difference between writing a good VSL and a regular long-form sales letter?

I am sitting down trying to convert my salesletter into a video. I am wondering, should I just read the sales letter word for word or should I make some adjustments? If so, what adjustments should I make?

If anyone has an example of a good VSL to show please share them. I have never watched a video sales letter in my whole life (I hate them).
#difference #salesletter #vsl
  • I hate them as well.

    I think the difference is...

    Many copywriters dream about being film directors, and yes, it would be good to be the next Quentin Tarantino or Martin Scorsese.

    I think the only copywriter who made it to the A list is Sir Ridley Scott.

    I've done a few VSL's, hoping that Hollywood would pay attention.

    But I felt and sounded like a complete idiot shouting, "Take 29 and Action!"

    It's much easier being the scriptwriter.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
    Originally Posted by svedski View Post

    Is there any difference between writing a good VSL and a regular long-form sales letter?

    I am sitting down trying to convert my salesletter into a video. I am wondering, should I just read the sales letter word for word or should I make some adjustments? If so, what adjustments should I make?

    If anyone has an example of a good VSL to show please share them. I have never watched a video sales letter in my whole life (I hate them).
    :rolleyes: So you "hate" VSLs but are trying to write one that sells? Good luck man, you're gonna need it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776275].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author svedski
      Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

      :rolleyes: So you "hate" VSLs but are trying to write one that sells? Good luck man, you're gonna need it.
      As I consider myself a "professional"...I do not need to "like" what I'm doing. Feeling has nothing to do with it. Money has.

      Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

      If I was wondering how to convert a successful sales letter into a video...

      I should be wondering, "Why am I doing this?"
      Certainly. I believe the response will be higher. I've heard from practically everyone that video converts better than text, and especially in the market that I'm in.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776669].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Adam Short
        In my experience and in the niches with which I work, VSLs convert higher than long form sales letters.

        Another trend that is escalating is whiteboard animation videos. They convert very high. If you don't have the budget for a complete whiteboard animation (they are pricey), try starting the first minute or two of the VSL with a whiteboard and then transitioning to Powerpoint. The Powerpoint should be a complete white background with black text and words emphasized in red. I also recommend hiring a voiceover artist to record the audio.

        This is one of my favorite VSLs and it does very well: Free Presentation Shows You How to Become Irresistible Again to Your Cold, Distant and Unintersted Man
        It starts with a whiteboard animation and transitions to Powerpoint.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776708].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
        Originally Posted by svedski View Post

        As I consider myself a "professional"...I do not need to "like" what I'm doing. Feeling has nothing to do with it. Money has.
        So you're a "professional" but you're trying to write a VSL while admitting you haven't bothered to watch even a single one yourself?

        And even though you've never watched one you've decided you "hate" them?

        Doesn't sound very professional, and it sounds like feeling has everything to do with it for you.

        Again, good luck man.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776725].message }}
  • If I was wondering how to convert a successful sales letter into a video...

    I should be wondering, "Why am I doing this?"


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776393].message }}
  • Unless you've got experience and equipment, don't record the audio yourself. You can hire decent voice actors on Fiverr, or fantastic voice actors on Voices.com

    And yes, you'll need to make adjustments to the copy. VSL's need more transitions to sound natural.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776473].message }}

Trending Topics