"Features AND Benefits"

19 replies
Hey All,


It's been a while and I hope all the copywriters are well

I just found this and thought it was interesting.

Usually we are told to focus just on benefits.

But, this is what happens when both are focused on:
https://www.beactivebrace.com/?mid=5614029


Best,

Justin
#features and benefits
  • I don't like it and for these reason:
    1. No headline - No headline - No headline
    2. It's too busy - too confusing - no idea what's being sold
    3. No large image of the knee brace
    4. Viewer isn't being led through the page to make an emotional buying decision
    5. Video and Animated gif or png side by side both moving huge distraction
    6. Limited Time Offer but doesn't mention what I'm buying.
    7. Too much work for the buyer
    8. Just looking at the small images it's just another knee brace
    9. Upsell for an extra ten bucks they are going to put breathable and more durable fabric on the knee brace. Really??
    Finally had to close that window. Terrible, terrible, terrible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540721].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Looks like a CPA order page to me. Typically, a person gets to this page after viewing a presell.

      Alex

      PS - I just checked Offer Vault. MaxBounty and PeerFly both payout on this product.

      Sounds like you guys aren't familiar with the billion-dollar CPA industry.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540761].message }}
      • Sounds like Alex has skin in the game and is drawing a conclusion on an assumption.

        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        Sounds like you guys aren't familiar with the billion-dollar CPA industry.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540803].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
          Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy View Post

          Sounds like Alex has skin in the game and is drawing a conclusion on an assumption.
          Dude, I get that you have 20+ years of copywriting experience. And I respect that.

          But there's a multi-billion dollar industry known as CPA. And they use order pages just like the one referenced all the time. And the dang things convert.

          The top tier of CPA guys are crushing it... $10,000 and higher a day.

          It's a CPA order page, no doubt.

          Go to offervault.com and search on the product name. You'll see two of the most respected CPA companies offering payouts.

          Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540822].message }}
          • Alex,

            I know all about CPA and Affiliate Marketing. In my opinion an order page is not exempt from using solid copywriting skills all the way through the entire process.

            There are some order pages that kill it from start to finish and stay on point. The one above for me was trying to say to much and over stuffed. I didn't like it and stated why.

            Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

            But there's a multi-billion dollar industry known as CPA. And they use order pages just like the one referenced all the time. And the dang things convert.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540864].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
              Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy View Post

              Alex,

              I know all about CPA and Affiliate Marketing. In my opinion an order page is not exempt from using solid copywriting skills all the way through the entire process.

              There are some order pages that kill it from start to finish. The one above for me was trying to say to much and over stuff. I didn't like it and stated why.
              Nice try, but you critiqued the page as if it was a sales page:

              4. Viewer isn't being led through the page to make an emotional buying decision
              The presell page has already done all the work on the emotions.

              Alex
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540890].message }}
              • Nope. But if you want to run with that knock yourself out.

                Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

                Nice try, but you critiqued the page as if it was a sales page:

                The presell page has already done all the work on the emotions.

                Alex
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540910].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Chriswrighto
                  I'm pretty sure I saw that same video on TV when I was in the states. Hmm.
                  Signature

                  Wealthcopywriter.com :)

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9541240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Lol...

    Someone needs to teach the peeps at Be Active Brace (or their copywriter) what a benefit is.

    Mark
    Signature

    Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9540758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    I bet that ad is pulling like crazy. It's BANG ON. Got my immediate attention. V.O. says -

    Is your back acting up again? Is lower back pain a daily drain?
    I've just come back from the quack for...Sciatica (herniated disc from an old surfing injury). My options are - another steroid injection in the spine/physiotherapy in the pool/more anti-inflammatory and painkilling drugs or an operation on my spine.

    This brace on a pressure-point may offer some relief - I'm doubtful - looks like a late-night TV gimmick to me - but for the price it might be worth a try (a knee brace may even do the same thing?).

    As for "Features and Benefits" in the Johnson Box - you think the target audience is sitting there going "Huh - these guys don't know the difference between "Features & Benefits"?

    I bet they're selling truckloads - and I wouldn't mind betting people are falling for the scurrilous $10 upsell as well -
    made with more breathable and durable fabric
    You are not the target audience.

    I read everything on that page...watched the video and read the testies. Why? Because I'm in a lot of pain from Sciatica - I'm desperate for a solution ("starving crowd"). It's literally a "pain in the ass/arse" (and if you suffer from Sciatica you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9541728].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnRussell
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      Why? Because I'm in a lot of pain from Sciatica - I'm desperate for a solution ("starving crowd"). It's literally a "pain in the ass/arse" (and if you suffer from Sciatica you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.)
      I ran 4 different FB campaigns for a chiropractor:

      -back pain
      -headaches
      -sciatica
      -I don't remember the fourth.

      Hands down the Sciatica campaign pulled the best. The people were desperate for the most part.

      Easy to target on FB too.

      Regarding features and benefits...

      Of course you have to mention features - the benefits don't make sense in a vacuum.

      There's also advantages which many sales people / copywriters miss.

      ie.

      Feature - 'Our investment newsletter is written by Bobby Guru.'
      Advantage - 'Bobby Guru is the only guru endorsed by Warren Buffet so you'll be getting the best advice in the industry.'
      Benefit - 'You have the best chance of quintupling your money in the next 30 minutes.'

      When writing Features and Benefits, the Advantages are often implied but not always - and they can strengthen your argument.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9541876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jomuli3
      Yes, a clever way of selling to two audiences.

      One audience comprises people who have been suffering from such pains for a long time. They are expected to respond to the ad promptly.

      The other one consist of new pain sufferers. They haven't got urgent reason to respond to the ad quickly.

      Now the first audience requires features. They already know the benefits they want. Mere mention of features can bring up benefits in their minds. They have come across many similar remedies and their features and benefits.

      It is like selling somebody who works at a factory which produces pressing irons.

      Mere mention of a type of hitting element (feature), could bring its benefits to him.

      You don't need to sell on benefits to people who come from certain technical backgrounds --- they make their own benefits at the mention of a feature.

      The other group requires informed decisions through use of benefits.

      The marketing strategy uses both features and benefits in your ad for the reasons cited above.

      How Emotions Work with Benefits

      Benefits work with emotions to make emotional benefits.

      If you had a terrible headache for a long time you could be excited by the discovery of a new strong pain killer.

      Now, here is the answer to whether features sell or not.

      According to 'Make Your Words Sell',' by Joe Robson and Ken Evoy (page 31) features don't sell because they appeal to our logic only.

      Features belong to our logical side of our minds --- it doesn't belong to the emotional part at all. That is why we rationalize buying decisions using features.

      The benefits are already given earlier in bullets there is no need of repeating them. We just mention the features and the benefits will come to mind.

      On the other hand, benefits sell because they appeal to our emotions --- that is why we 'sell the sizzle not the steak,' and 'we sell on emotion.'

      You see it's not the feature that sells but the joy that feature can create in prospects that sells -- that is the emtional benefit.

      A product is nothing but a heap of special features arranged in a special way to make products as we know them today --- cup, bed, shirt etc

      Mention the alluring comfort the bed could provide better than most beds --- and you could be selling.

      Some recent consumer research findings reveal that our emotion-driven decisions account for at least 75% of our purchases in television ads. If you skillfully and finely blend your emotions with benefits that percentage could even sour higher.

      The research finding says that the remaining percentage i.e 25% is shared by various elements of an ad.

      Why Features Seem to Work in Certain Instances

      To technical personnel and those who are up sophistication level, features seem to work but ---

      --- truth be told, such people easily translate features to benefits at mere mention of a feature. In a subtle manner, behind the curtains, benefits drive the sales together with emotions.

      Another recent study reveals that without emotions we can hardly make decisions. This study was conducted by Professor Antoio Damasio of the University of California.

      I could believe features sell if somebody showed me how features arouse emotions. There could be no 'sell the sizzle not the steak,' 'sell on emotion if feature were selling.

      ' If they don't arouse any emotion but just appeal to logic , 'features don't sell ' - 'Make Your Words Sell,' Joe Robson and Ken Evoy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9542405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NickN
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      I bet that ad is pulling like crazy. It's BANG ON. Got my immediate attention. V.O. says -

      I've just come back from the quack for...Sciatica (herniated disc from an old surfing injury). My options are - another steroid injection in the spine/physiotherapy in the pool/more anti-inflammatory and painkilling drugs or an operation on my spine.

      This brace on a pressure-point may offer some relief - I'm doubtful - looks like a late-night TV gimmick to me - but for the price it might be worth a try (a knee brace may even do the same thing?).

      As for "Features and Benefits" in the Johnson Box - you think the target audience is sitting there going "Huh - these guys don't know the difference between "Features & Benefits"?

      I bet they're selling truckloads - and I wouldn't mind betting people are falling for the scurrilous $10 upsell as well - You are not the target audience.

      I read everything on that page...watched the video and read the testies. Why? Because I'm in a lot of pain from Sciatica - I'm desperate for a solution ("starving crowd"). It's literally a "pain in the ass/arse" (and if you suffer from Sciatica you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.)
      Thank you. I was watching an old Western from the 1940s on gettv (a station for old fogies -- no offense) the other day. The commercial for this product played during EVERY commercial break. The ad directs people to a telephone number or the website, so the prospects are already prepped by the time they visit the page.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9542892].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
        Banned
        Originally Posted by NickN View Post

        Thank you. I was watching an old Western from the 1940s on gettv (a station for old fogies -- no offense) the other day. The commercial for this product played during EVERY commercial break. The ad directs people to a telephone number or the website, so the prospects are already prepped by the time they visit the page.
        Nick, well I might have Sciatica dude but the Doc checked my heart and lungs today and both are excellent. My blood pressure is 127 over 61 - athlete level. So I might be round a bit longer keeping you young dudes in check. No offense. LOL. (My 7 year old daughter insisted I add the smilie)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Kinda tells the story...

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9542565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
    Something about a tiny girl keeping TCN in check makes me smile somethin' fierce.
    Signature

    Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543060].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AffiliateBeast
    Your landing page just split my eyeballs into two different ways. It is confusing when you have an active slider on right and an on going video on left.And what the page is all about is pretty clear above the fold. The rest of the things seems like a space filler.
    Hope my review helps.
    Signature

    Join 300+ SEOs at SEO republic facebook group Today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543398].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
      again.

      We can offer opinions.

      But we don't know the results. It appears that whatever they are doing is bringing in a huge spike in traffic. IF from an Infomercial, pretty targeted, and from the pics, a definite senior population product (but not exclusively).

      The headline, "How to Make Your Computer as Easy to Use as Your Phone" ran for years in AARP and pulled in millions.

      This campaign seems to be using 60 Minutes demographics and the "older" crowd TV shows (as was mentioned)...and when the PROMOTION resonates with the target, as this apparently does...one has a winner, with all due respect to all the opinions combined...

      what works, works.

      I don't know the details, but I know two people who have bought the product and love it, best advertising there is, probably another 20 in the building are going to.

      Why not ask the marketer behind the promotion? I'm sure he'll give you the inside dope.

      Argue over opinions, jolly good fun for we rubberneckers.

      gjabiz
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543644].message }}
      • Gordon,

        Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

        But we don't know the results. It appears that whatever they are doing is bringing in a huge spike in traffic. IF from an Infomercial, pretty targeted, and from the pics, a definite senior population product (but not exclusively).

        This campaign seems to be using 60 Minutes demographics and the "older" crowd TV shows (as was mentioned)...and when the PROMOTION resonates with the target, as this apparently does...one has a winner, with all due respect to all the opinions combined...
        Last week I started receiving html emails promoting the Be Active Brace. So I knew ahead of time about the product and campaign before the OP mentioned it. There may be other formats being used to promote this product. I've only received emails.

        The big contrast is the emails have a softer feel - a more sympathetic tone. When you click on the image you are taken to the website and BAM the tone changed. Almost like an assault to the senses. So for me and me only the bridge to connect with the offer died.

        The reason I receive these types of emails, I'm in that demographic and do suffer from Sciatica plus nerve damage from a back injury when I was in my 20's. I hate it but it is what it is. But the technician writer side of me still believes there is a disconnect.

        But as you said, as well as others, if it's killing it, I'm in no position to argue with results.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9545473].message }}

Trending Topics