Some Questions as a starter in this field

6 replies
Hey Guys!

Well, I've been familiar with the idea of finance yourself online for a year or so, but couple of weeks ago to actually do a hands-on and move forward this field.

During my initial research I raised several questions regarding this field. I would aprriciate very much if you can put a 60 seconds (thats nothing right? less than a daily swipe on facebook ) effort and answer my questions bellow. I believe those will be also very helpful for other guys.

So my basic understanding regarding EM (Email Marketing) is:
a. get a website/landing page
b. get a free product which you will ask your visitors to give away their email in order to get it.
put aside for a second the fact that the product should be attractive and such in order that your subscribers will want to continue to read your further emails in the future.
c. gather a email list
d. send emails and send products to that email list.

so the questions that i've come up with are:
1. Ive recently started learning WP site building. how do i actually connect it to an email list or create the popup or a zone on the website that will gather the emails into DB? if theres some 101 guide - please link me in
2. how did you chose your initial free give away product. in which field, what did guide you to choose a specific field?
3. after setting a theme to specific give away product, does all your following products have to follow the same theme or subject? like i don't believe that people who like astrology will be glad-fully receiving products on how to win in chess in 4 easy steps.
4. what data you would gather from the customer besides his email address (like, his name?). how does it affect the will of the customer to give away 2 pieces of information instead of 1? (requires more compliance from their side)
5. after you got an email list. whats then, which programs are there that will distribute email to the whole list. please least 2 that most likable by you.

thank you guys, will be looking forwards your commends!
#101 #field #questions #starter
  • Profile picture of the author mkusua
    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    Hey Guys!


    so the questions that i've come up with are:
    1. Ive recently started learning WP site building. how do i actually connect it to an email list or create the popup or a zone on the website that will gather the emails into DB? if theres some 101 guide - please link me in
    2. how did you chose your initial free give away product. in which field, what did guide you to choose a specific field?
    3. after setting a theme to specific give away product, does all your following products have to follow the same theme or subject? like i don't believe that people who like astrology will be glad-fully receiving products on how to win in chess in 4 easy steps.
    4. what data you would gather from the customer besides his email address (like, his name?). how does it affect the will of the customer to give away 2 pieces of information instead of 1? (requires more compliance from their side)
    5. after you got an email list. whats then, which programs are there that will distribute email to the whole list. please least 2 that most likable by you.

    thank you guys, will be looking forwards your commends!

    1. There are many wp plugins that helps here - like sumome by appsumo. Just search for it. You will need an email marketing service to get it to work.

    2. Your free gift should do many thing.

    a. Attract people you want on your list. The thing is , people who are interested in different things will want a certain kind of information or something of value.

    It does not have to be an ebook. It could be audio or video or a software. Anything people in that niche value can be a good lead magnet.


    So create the the free offer or get it made for you.

    3. Always sell people what they want or are interested in. Many people have many interests...but it is more profitable to focus on why people joined your list for in the first place.

    Meaning...give them more of what they signed up for.

    4. name and email. At the the least email. if you ask for too much , you will get low conversions.

    5. Getresponse or Aweber
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9888155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author positivegirl
    Hi, First off:

    1. you can also create an emails list not only with a freebie but with buyers (by asking products creator to give you a spot on their download area. I mean, you create a great report that you give away in their download page. so that you get buyers in your list instead of freebie seekers (and this is a list of people that is qualified and very targeted, since they have bought before entering your list.

    2. to connect your wp site, you need to go to your wp dashboard, add a widget (html/text) to your side bar or the place you want your webform to be showed and then, paste your html/script from your autoresponder. then save it.
    if you tell them a true story on how someone (you or someone you know) solved the problem, personality driven, they will feel you are empathetic and maybe will trust you easier.

    3. be sure to chose some good content to offer as a freebie, if you created it is better than some plr report that people can find out there for free. if you share your experience on how you solved the problem, better. be sure to offer something that is highly related to what you promised before they land in to your site.

    4. asking for the name and email address is enough. Sometimes only the email address can increase your conversions as well as turning off the "confirm button" of your list (AR=> List Settings=>)

    5. there are a lot of autoresponder, you need to buy the service before sending traffic to your site, so that you can start adding people to your list form day one (this is critical). I use Aweber, a lot of people use GetResponse, but there are a lot of services out there, Like mailchimp and others.

    6. if you add this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/pinoy-pop-up-on-exit/ to your website, you can also offer a frebie in oerder to get more people optinig in. when they want to leave your site, the will be asked to enter their email to get your frebiee.


    Hope that helps,

    Jany Luz Posada

    Italy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9888157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BudiT
    1. If you want to build a list from your blog/website, then you will want to monetize your readers with sidebar optin form, lightbox popup etc. To do that you will need to get some plugin installed on your WP website.

    For that you can actually Youtube some of these stuffs:
    Sidebar optin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-...&v=6yk1fMw0VL4
    WP lightbox popup optin form:
    You can decide to get the tools suggested in the video if you wish.

    Also, what you might want to have is a stand alone Squeeze page (that's how we call a landing page that extracts email optins). Having a popup optin is great, but you can also drive traffic to your squeeze page, which is better because the message is more focused and direct. Of course you can presell your squeeze page on your blog.

    2. GREAT question! Actually a lot of people ignore this one in their Squeeze Page Optimization process.

    Regarding niche selection, you just have to tap into a market with HUGE buying capacity, like internet marketing, or weight loss.

    My suggestion is to get really really specific on your sub niche, or sub sub niche.
    Example: Niche: Internet Marketing.
    Sub niche: Facebook traffic.
    Sub sub nice: Cheap facebook clicks.

    Then you create your freebie based on your sub sub sub sub niche.

    You can really get down into this and get really specific. The more specific your niche is, the better the reception towards your freebie is gonna be. Plus, you will attract people who KNOW what they want.

    For example, if your freebie is about , "how to make money online", then you'll attract all sorts of people. People who love bizopp and push button get rich, the hybrids, and the people who are SERIOUS.

    3. Yes! You got it. Don't mix your products recommendation around. Consistency is key. You don't want to promote a "how to build abs" type of product and promote it to women who wants to lose weight.

    4. It really depends on your niche, the quality of your traffic and your conversion capability. But one thing for sure, filling out more field in a squeeze page usually creates a lot friction, meaning one prospect will be more reluctant to fill in 10 different fields as opposed to 5 fields.

    I personally stick with JUST email address. I don't bother with the names anymore. Feel free to use name and email address. It's all about the response rate, really.

    5. You're talking about autoresponder, which is an absolute MUST. GetResponse get my highest recommendation, though I know there are other people who are willing to go at length debating with me.
    The opposing party will most likely tell you Aweber is better, which I don't have anything against. For me GetResponse is PERFECT!

    Hope that helps!


    ~ Budi T
    Signature

    STOP wasting your money into hypes and BS.
    Turn your traffic and subscribers into White Hot Cash!

    Continue >>

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9888180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Poc
    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    Hey Guys!
    so the questions that i've come up with are:
    1. Ive recently started learning WP site building. how do i actually connect it to an email list or create the popup or a zone on the website that will gather the emails into DB? if theres some 101 guide - please link me in
    2. how did you chose your initial free give away product. in which field, what did guide you to choose a specific field?
    3. after setting a theme to specific give away product, does all your following products have to follow the same theme or subject? like i don't believe that people who like astrology will be glad-fully receiving products on how to win in chess in 4 easy steps.
    4. what data you would gather from the customer besides his email address (like, his name?). how does it affect the will of the customer to give away 2 pieces of information instead of 1? (requires more compliance from their side)
    5. after you got an email list. whats then, which programs are there that will distribute email to the whole list. please least 2 that most likable by you.

    thank you guys, will be looking forwards your commends!
    1. I recommend InstaBuilder. It's even better than LeadPages.net.

    2. I always suggest to start in the internet marketing niche. In the beginning, just get something up and when you start getting some traffic - go back to your free gift and make it really good.

    3. You have to stay in the same industry!

    4. I only gather emails. If you gather names, that will lower your conversion rates by 10%. I don't think it's worth it.

    5. I mentioned in this thread ( http://www.warriorforum.com/email-ma...pen-rates.html ) that the best option is Aweber. ust to drop a few companies, I tried GetResponse (my second choice), MailChimp, iContact, SendReach, Ebiz, ListWire, ImnnicaMail, RocketResponder, GVO... I worked with a few more, but that's just off the top of my head
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9891331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author uscpsycho
      Reading this thread it sounds like some people build a business around harvesting an email list and marketing products to that list. So rather than the mailing list being used to grow an existing business, the mailing list IS the business. Is that right?

      I'm new to email marketing and I'm poking around this forum to help me use email marketing to grow my business. But I'm intrigued by this other approach to email marketing. Do you need a bunch of email lists to make a living at this or do people try to grow one or two lists large enough to make a living from them?

      Sorry this is going OT but I don't think this is a great question for a new thread.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9891772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    1. Ive recently started learning WP site building. how do i actually connect it to an email list or create the popup or a zone on the website that will gather the emails into DB? if theres some 101 guide - please link me in
    This is the part of the forum where such technical questions live (and are discussed): Website Design

    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    2. how did you chose your initial free give away product.
    I don't choose it. I create it.

    Unless I create it myself, it can't possibly serve the essential basic purposes I need it to serve.

    This is the single most important step in the entire process, and the one your future income most depends on.

    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    3. after setting a theme to specific give away product, does all your following products have to follow the same theme or subject?
    Yes. Accurate targeting is essential.

    Like most big, important issues in internet marketing, all the income-determining parts depend on two main, overarching considerations: (i) quality, and (ii) relevance. And in this context, "relevance" really means "accurate targeting".

    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    4. what data you would gather from the customer besides his email address (like, his name?).
    Just email addresses.

    In all the niches in which I've compared, I get 12-15% more opt-ins when I ask for "just email address" rather than "name and email address".

    I think it's a big mistake, anyway, to use subscribers' names in outgoing emails: it can very easily make you sound like an insurance salesperson, and that actually loses you credibility.

    Originally Posted by ilyan1uk View Post

    5. after you got an email list. whats then
    After is too late!

    Before you build email lists, you need to understand some of the basic email marketing skills.

    If you jump to this post (which explains why "bought lists" are no good, which you probably already knew?), you'll find at the end of it links to 6 other posts which may help you: between them, they cover the basics of "email marketing skills": http://www.warriorforum.com/email-ma...ml#post9331922

    Above all else, I urge you to stay away from IM-related niches.

    Quite apart from the fact that they're the most competitive and difficult, these are also the niches which are the least suitable as a "first email marketing niche", for all the reasons explained here, in some detail: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post9768572. Getting involved in those niches is the single commonest reason for people not being unsuccessful, and it's the single commonest mistake that beginning email marketers make.

    Good luck!


    Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

    Reading this thread it sounds like some people build a business around harvesting an email list and marketing products to that list. So rather than the mailing list being used to grow an existing business, the mailing list IS the business. Is that right?
    Yes.

    Especially affiliate marketers selling "information products". It's barely possible to make a living from doing that without email marketing: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post7110523

    Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

    Do you need a bunch of email list to make a living at this or do people try to grow one or two lists large enough to make a living from them?
    Some of each.

    I was making a full-time living from my first two "niche lists".

    That didn't stop me from gradually adding more, over the years; but it's possible to make a living from one list, if your email marketing skills are good enough, and if you get everything else right as well. Those are both big "ifs", of course!


    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9891805].message }}

Trending Topics