How to Extract Portion of List for IP Warming?

7 replies
For those of you who do IP Warming, how do you extract a portion of your list to send emails to? Someone told me to export the list in CSV and cut a certain number of subscribers and paste it in a different CSV and re-import it. Is this the best way to do it? What if the list is more than 100k?
#extract #list #portion #warming
  • Profile picture of the author joegaris
    If you want to do IP warming you need to extract OPENERS or CLICKERS from your list and email only those records for the first couple weeks while you warm up a new IP. Then slowly increase volume by adding in other records. Keep an eye on delivery rates because if they decrease you may need to back off mailing completely or go back to emailing only openers and clickers for 2-3 days. The temporary blocks ISP's put on IPs generally last for anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days. Managing your own delivery is tough but can pay off in the end. Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9532208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MindReality
      Originally Posted by joegaris View Post

      If you want to do IP warming you need to extract OPENERS or CLICKERS from your list and email only those records for the first couple weeks while you warm up a new IP. Then slowly increase volume by adding in other records. Keep an eye on delivery rates because if they decrease you may need to back off mailing completely or go back to emailing only openers and clickers for 2-3 days. The temporary blocks ISP's put on IPs generally last for anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days. Managing your own delivery is tough but can pay off in the end. Good luck!
      But that is not enough, I need to be able to extract an exact number from my list (e.g. 5k) to mail at the start. How do I do that?
      Signature
      Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9532237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JKirby
        Originally Posted by MindReality View Post

        But that is not enough, I need to be able to extract an exact number from my list (e.g. 5k) to mail at the start. How do I do that?
        Your response to a complete and valid answer is making me think your '100k' list is just garbage. You can't grow an organic list and not know how to segment out openers and clickers. You just can't.

        If you don't have data on your list, that means you purchased your list. You can forget about IP warming altogether. Just start sending batches of 500 - 1,000 every day and scrub out the bounces/non opens.

        If you honestly want someone to hold your hand and show you how to take a list of 100k and take out 5k for emailing, then you're screwed anyway.

        Good Luck.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9533515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Ray
    The only thing I can think of is to take the list and open it in Excel (or the open office equivalent). You would be able to see the number of rows and be able to accurately pull out 100, 1000 etc.

    Also, while you are in the list you can highlight the cell's for the emails you have already uploaded into your self hosted AR. Granted, most systems remove uploaded duplicates automatically, but it's just a added measure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9532369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MindReality
      Originally Posted by DennisRay View Post

      The only thing I can think of is to take the list and open it in Excel (or the open office equivalent). You would be able to see the number of rows and be able to accurately pull out 100, 1000 etc.

      Also, while you are in the list you can highlight the cell's for the emails you have already uploaded into your self hosted AR. Granted, most systems remove uploaded duplicates automatically, but it's just a added measure.
      Thank you.
      Signature
      Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9533815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DaveWarrior
    At what volume do you need to consider IP warming?
    Signature

    Reach 13K+ men in the dating niche - PM me for details

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9533447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JKirby
    Just going to restate my previous statement, despite some unclear viewpoints on my previous statement.

    You answered yourself in the OP. So you knew how to properly do what you're doing. HOWEVER, if you did purchase a list or scrapped a list, or did anything else beside build the list yourself, there is no such thing as IP Warming. Regardless of how large the list size is, or how small or segmented out your list will be, most Bulk Service providers will kick you out of their system before you can warm anything.

    Secondly, as to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, scrub your list before you do anything. Don't pay big bucks for any service until you know what you're getting yourself into. Use fiverr for a deliver-ability test email so you can scrub your list even more.

    If you don't like what I say, that's fine. But however you put it, you'll be wasting money if you don't follow the correct procedures. Tough love is your friend in this business.



    Edit: IP Warming is so you can send out more and more emails each day. IP Warming is used when you have an opt-in or double opt-in list to use in the very beginning. This is not a tactic you can use with a list you have no previous sending with. Sure, most bulk providers will tell you to start slow, but if you're hitting 10% bounce rates, or high spam complaint rates any bulk provider will shut down your account.

    If you are running your own email server, the same applies. Regardless of how slow you start, if your bounce rates are high, opens are low and have too many spam complaints, you're only going to blacklist and damage your own email reputation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9533829].message }}

Trending Topics