I hate the term "internet marketing"

17 replies
In my opinion, the various facets of the internet are simply just MEDIUMS for communicating a message and conducting sales transactions.

As a whole, "marketing" is a far larger concept that encompasses more strategy than technique or sales transaction, and not distinct from one medium to another.

Discuss.
#hate #internet marketing #term
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
    I agree. I think website promotion is a better term for promoting a website and ecommerce is a better term for making money online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Brighton
    I agree. However, what really makes me chuckle is when I see people "going after the internet marketing niche"...that's a real double whammy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Originally Posted by Nick Brighton View Post

      I agree. However, what really makes me chuckle is when I see people "going after the internet marketing niche"...that's a real double whammy
      It depends how ambitious you are

      That's one BIG niche right there....
      Signature

      Bare Murkage.........

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096353].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeffLam
    I don't get it...what's wrong with going after the internet marketing niche..?

    And yeah, I agree fully that internet marketing isn't the right term to use for what we are doing. Ebusiness perhaps? Or like what Ron said, ecommerce (though that seems more market-like).

    Internet Business? Ibiz? Internet Promotion? IE, we should start using more specific terms for various actions rather than throwing the terms 'Internet Marketing' all around.
    Signature
    *********************
    Secret Technique Effortlessly CATAPULTS YOUR Opt-In Rates By: 100%..200%..Even 400% Higher!
    >> Interested? Click to find out more.. <<
    *********************
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096608].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Killer Joe
      I think it depends on the context...

      If your wife keeps referring to you as Mr. Sits-On-His-Duff-In-Front-Of-A-Computer-All-Day, you'd much rather your wife call you Mr. Internet Marketing.

      I know I do

      KJ
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096666].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author genietoast
        I'm fine with it. If that's the lingo going around and people understand it, so be it. Why rock the boat if it's floating along just fine?

        If it moves to another ocean, however, then I'll have to start re-navigating.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096693].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sandor Verebi
          Hi,

          Internet Marketing: this may be not the best expression, but implies the essence.

          The elements of the marketing mix: (4 Ps)

          - product : what you make or sell
          - price : value of that product
          - place : where you sell or exchange that product
          - promotion : device of the selling

          [Side note: If you are deling with services, then there are 3 more elements: (7 Ps)

          - people (who influence the perceived value of the product or service)
          - process (flow of activities which lead to an exchange of value)
          - physical evidence (the direct sensory experience of a product or service that allows a customer to measure whether he or she has received value for money)]

          If we take it narrowly then we are able to see that every elements have their own place in the IM. I've to admit I cannot give better name to it, so I also use the Internet Marketing expression in certain environment, too.

          But I'm convinced there are much clever people in the naming process than me. I let the naming career to them.

          Have a nice day,

          Sandor
          ___________
          "It doesn't matter how many times you fail. It doesn't matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is going to know or care about your failures, and neither should you. All you have to do is learn from them and those around you because... All that matters in business is that you get it right once. Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are." Mark Cuban
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097002].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Andy Money
            Always felt this way too. I don't know what else to say about it really...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097051].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Matt D.
              Well Internet Marketers are those who do only that. I don't really consider myself as one, because usually I market my products through other people. But those who are only doing affiliate marketing, obviously it is done over the internet and everything they do is market products so I guess they can be called Internet Marketers. Many call themselves Internet business owners, or Information developers, Website owners.... There is a lot of names that people give themselves. Internet marketing is the most broad one, because at the end everything that is selling is also being marketed.

              Just my opinion.

              Take care
              Signature
              Hard work always pays off.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097228].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Nick Brighton
                Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

                It depends how ambitious you are

                That's one BIG niche right there....
                And that Jay, my young friend, is what they call an Oxymoron. ;-)
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097332].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Arted4Life
                  Originally Posted by John Willer View Post

                  How about just saying you're a business owner...
                  Originally Posted by Paxton View Post

                  When people ask me what I do for a living I usually say I sell stuff.

                  The internet for me is the high-street and my websites my stores.

                  Location, location, location they say. I say ranking, ranking, ranking.

                  Nothing complicated - I just sell stuff

                  Same here. Besides, you can't argue with results.
                  Signature
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096642].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paxton
      When people ask me what I do for a living I usually say I sell stuff.

      The internet for me is the high-street and my websites my stores.

      Location, location, location they say. I say ranking, ranking, ranking.

      Nothing complicated - I just sell stuff
      Signature
      Never undersell yourself - SEO is a skill clients are prepared to pay big money for
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Willer
    How about just saying you're a business owner...
    Signature
    My Loss Is Your opportunity
    (80% off for 10 smart people)

    Click Here To Find Out Why...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeGriffith
    I'm wondering if "online marketing" would be a better term. It describes what you're doing (marketing) and where you're doing it (on the internet).

    But I see your point. It still doesn't say anything about what you're marketing. I think I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the term too. I think another word might be in order. But have a great day anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1096665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDawson
    Banned
    Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

    In my opinion, the various facets of the internet are simply just MEDIUMS for communicating a message and conducting sales transactions.

    As a whole, "marketing" is a far larger concept that encompasses more strategy than technique or sales transaction, and not distinct from one medium to another.

    Discuss.
    A lot of people would protest that Hardcore "Marketing" is exactly what they do on the internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Hi guys

    my downside is when ive had a few too many glasses of white wine and im trying to explain the job title internet marketer or i work online in internet marketing to the locals in my terrible british accent whilst im desperately trying to learn the portuguese.

    that is really tough!

    kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chateauRedunet
    Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

    In my opinion, the various facets of the internet are simply just MEDIUMS for communicating a message and conducting sales transactions.

    As a whole, "marketing" is a far larger concept that encompasses more strategy than technique or sales transaction, and not distinct from one medium to another.

    Discuss.
    Hello Michael;
    I seem to recall a book, 20-30 years ago titled "The Medium is the Message". One main proposition explored was the medium, be it stone, papyrus, vellum, paper, or the Internet not only impacted but DROVE the many messages using that medium.

    My conclusion, you are totally correct, in paragraph 1 above, but the Internet plays a very, very large part in Internet Marketing.

    I agree with your second paragraph also. "Marketing" certainly is much broader than sales or transactional processing. In fact "Marketing" may encompass 50% to 75% of an organizations expenditures. (Short story. At my second job the President of the company asked, "Who was in sales?" About 25 people out of 110 raised their hands. He spent the next 30 minutes explaining why EVERYONE was "in sales."

    Sneeky devil, he changed the DEFINITION of sales to be all-encompassing, customer-centric, process and project driven.

    All the best,
    chateauR
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1097657].message }}

Trending Topics