Is managed VPS hosting difficult to use?

9 replies
I've been with godaddy since 2005 with no problems using their shared hosting. Yesterday I chatted with their tech support asking about switching over to their managed (not fully managed) VPS hosting so that I could use the self hosted auto-responder software Arpreach.

The guy tried to talk me out of going the VPS route stating that it is like trying to fly an airplane the first time and being totally lost.

So is using managed VPS with cpanel really difficult to use?
#difficult #hosting #managed #vps
  • Profile picture of the author JC Web
    Managed VPS is not difficult. Self-managed is not for the average website owner but managed with cpanel should not be difficult for anyone who can handle basic tasks. Now, godaddy is a different story. I wouldn't get a VPS with them and perhaps the person you spoke to was doing you a favor. I've had multiple managed VPS servers and you want the people managing them to know what they are doing. There are several reputable companies. I'm currently using a managed Wiredtree VPS for my main sites but there are others you can find recommended if you search the forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10656294].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Gibson
      Thanks for your reply. I've seen people in here recommend Hitdirector since they state they are set up just for self hosted auto responder software programs like Arpreach but they don't have phone support and I have never seen anyone on their live chat.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10656303].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JC Web
        Originally Posted by Jeff Gibson View Post

        Thanks for your reply. I've seen people in here recommend Hitdirector since they state they are set up just for self hosted auto responder software programs like Arpreach but they don't have phone support and I have never seen anyone on their live chat.
        I've never gone the self-hosted autoresponder route, so I can't give you any specific recommendation and I'm not familiar with Hitdirector. You would definitely want to make sure you choose the right provider for that and maybe some others who have used Arpreach will see your post and comment. I'm definitely not trying to push wiredtree and I certainly don't know if they would be a good choice for your particular need at all, but they do have phone support.

        Even though I usually use online support, I would only look at a VPS provider who also had phone support. I previously had an "email only" support VPS provider and you can be left helpless waiting for a response for hours in an emergency if you can't call. So phone support would be something I would look for in any provider now even though I rarely use it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10656312].message }}
  • Erm, we had a lot of issues with Godaddy VPS before. We tried switching from Hostgator shared hosting to Godaddy VPS and it was downright disappointing. There was only a limit of IPs to purchase and they don't offer more than 11 I think unless you purchase another VPS package. Plus, there are plenty of downtime, you can't access the control panel since the system is in maintenance. It was too bad we paid for a large sum every month until we decided to switch back to Hostgator once again.

    Try another hosting company and read reviews first before deciding on a particular one. Wouldn't recommend Godaddy after that.
    Signature
    The ultimate site for your camping, survival, outdoor, adventure and travel needs.
    >> Get your survival and outdoor freebies here <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10656870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Gibson
      I talked to Mdd Hosting yesterday and their shared plans can and will support Arpreach. They also stated that I could use a 3rd party SMTP service as well. Their response time on my questions were extremely quick and the explanations were thorough.

      The only downside is that their most expensive shared hosting "Advanced" only has 15GB of storage and 750GB of bandwith. I think what they do is allocate that much bandwith so that you wont be slowed down from other sites that may hog the resources.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10656962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Grazina
    Banned
    It's not easy to use a fully-managed VPS if you use it from time-tested companies like veeble.org and ewallhost.com.
    Their servers are solid and prices are low cost.
    Support is active and they fix issues very fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10657185].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author razorz18
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gibson View Post

    I've been with godaddy since 2005 with no problems using their shared hosting. Yesterday I chatted with their tech support asking about switching over to their managed (not fully managed) VPS hosting so that I could use the self hosted auto-responder software Arpreach.

    The guy tried to talk me out of going the VPS route stating that it is like trying to fly an airplane the first time and being totally lost.

    So is using managed VPS with cpanel really difficult to use?
    I think Managed VPS + Cpanel is where to go if your not too technical person. Depend on your usage and budget, I would stay with Shared (Reseller) account first and familiarize WHM before go for VPS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10657350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BeliraJohn
    Hello!

    I would recommend you choose a VPS provider that can offer you a quality VPS at a price where having a managed VPS costs no more than a self-managed one.

    Consider things like support for if / when anything goes wrong with your VPS. You need a provider which responds to support requests within the hour, not within 6+ hours, as when you have your own VPS or Dedicated Server, it is only you that's hosted on it. Therefore it'll just be one voice / customer to complain when something is a miss. Therefore quick support is essential.

    If you need any other specific suggestions, please let me know.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10657413].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Gibson
      Originally Posted by BeliraJohn View Post

      Hello!

      I would recommend you choose a VPS provider that can offer you a quality VPS at a price where having a managed VPS costs no more than a self-managed one.

      Consider things like support for if / when anything goes wrong with your VPS. You need a provider which responds to support requests within the hour, not within 6+ hours, as when you have your own VPS or Dedicated Server, it is only you that's hosted on it. Therefore it'll just be one voice / customer to complain when something is a miss. Therefore quick support is essential.

      If you need any other specific suggestions, please let me know.
      Thanks. I'm trying out the shared hosting at MDD Hosting. Their support was very knowledgeable and knew what I was talking about when referring too Arpreach and a 3rd Party SMTP provider.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10658855].message }}

Trending Topics